Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hampig posted:

I'm curious about precisely what it is you don't like. I've found DS3 to have the most responsive controls and the best combat out of the whole series, regardless of what I think about the other aspects. DS2 has queuing that somehow easily misses button presses and also queues actions you don't want, and the running delay after depleting stamina feels pretty bad. DS1 you can only dodge in 4 directions locked and has all sorts of hacky animation quirks. DS3 seems to me to be the ideal middle ground between DS1 responsiveness and reliability, and DS2 weightiness.

It's mostly the length of time that actions are stored for. When it comes to character control in an ARPG, I prefer fine moment-to-moment control over fire-and-forget control. Fine control is especially important considering the direction they took the series in 3: multi-hit combos are everwhere, necessitating dodge roll mashing (putting it at odds with the apparent reason - punishing mashing - for the action queue in the first place) and there's no prior visual indicator for when an enemy is entering hyper armor frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Huh. First time I kill the black knight in the swam he drops his great sword. Sure, Dark Souls. I'll take it. Guess I'm doing the DLC earlier than expected then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Split leaf sword is so much fun, I don't even care if it isn't the best weapon. I'm going to have to roll a Ma Chao build and rock that and Morne's set and play the whole game that way.

Spin into different attacks, and hit people while you're spinning... its just so much fun.

Got to the first boss and Hey beat it first try ! Even with two nasty bosses! Man I'm good at this game---oh poo poo YOU DIED fun stuff

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This DLC is so masterfully designed that I've ragequit two nights in a row! I think we all know the part I'm talking about.

This is some straight up bullshit. Even when you know what to do it can be drat near impossible. I'm honestly considering waiting to see if they'll patch it. Don't know how it got through QA.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't decide if the level design for this DLC is amazing or awful.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This just in, Dark Souls is hard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This just in, Dark Souls is hard.

I mean, sure.. but there's a difference between FUN hard and hard for the sake of being hard. I think the DLC had a couple of things that were needlessly hard without being fun, but of course there were also plenty of the good kind of hard (especially the last boss, I'm still hyped over how amazing that fight was)

e: oh my god, I just realised something amazing. I got a piece of armor from the Harald knights, which looked kinda silly to me since I'm :norway: and Harald is a common name (imagine getting the Andrew Gauntlets) and then I realised.. That's not the only name they took from Norwegian in this DLC. Lapp means Patch :cripes:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I dunno, getting the Dave armor set would be pretty great.

EDIT: So what kind of magics are there in the new DLC? I know about the bow miracle which I think looks lame and I assume there's a pyromancy from the demon boss. What else is there? I assume there's at least one soercery.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 29, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Your Computer posted:

I mean, sure.. but there's a difference between FUN hard and hard for the sake of being hard. I think the DLC had a couple of things that were needlessly hard without being fun, but of course there were also plenty of the good kind of hard (especially the last boss, I'm still hyped over how amazing that fight was)

I was totally taken by surprise with that fight, both because I was wandering around and it suddenly just happened and because it was so good. I saw it ahead of time and thought it was going to be some dark2 trash. There's still some annoying HP inflation going on but it's actually fun to execute instead of the bullshit of the second boss and the excessive tedium of the optional boss. If he'd have had more story buildup or something so the boss matched it's place in the game it would have been a great finish.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I just finished the DLC tonight (except the optional boss) and I kinda hated it? Level design's solid enough though I don't like large open plateaus. Traversing most of it is more annoying than challenging or interesting and barring two very fun boss fights I just didn't enjoy any part of this.

Don't think I'm even gonna go back for the dragon, can't bring myself to care.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I just blasted through NG over the last three days or so with a strength build rocking the Exile set and Vordts and fat rolling and I have never felt so absurdly strong in any souls game before. I just bludgeoned through most bosses abusing perseverance except for a couple like Abyss Watchers, Twins and Nameless King who I felt as though I couldn't really poise tank. I'm bad at this game and failed my way through with a pyro first run a year ago but this last run in DS3 to get to the DLC content has been absolutely painless with no summons.

Looking forward to AOA and TRC although it seems I'm way overtuned for the first DLC

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Rhygezenguro posted:

Yeah, I just finished the DLC tonight (except the optional boss) and I kinda hated it? Level design's solid enough though I don't like large open plateaus. Traversing most of it is more annoying than challenging or interesting and barring two very fun boss fights I just didn't enjoy any part of this.

Don't think I'm even gonna go back for the dragon, can't bring myself to care.

This was pretty much my AotA review first time around. Having to be 'on' for so long can be kinda exhausting.

hampig fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Any idea why I can't enter the optional boss' fog wall?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So lore nerd chat for a bit;
First off I'm glad they revealed that the pilgrims do turn into angels or whatever because a ton of people told me there was no way pilgrims turned into those butterflies that flew over the castle area until that Vaati guy considered it in one video then everyone changed their tune on that.

Secondly; the angel thing makes these statues seem a bit more obvious in their meaning.

It's dudes turning into weird deformed angel things and the other hollows are worshiping them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

So lore nerd chat for a bit;
First off I'm glad they revealed that the pilgrims do turn into angels or whatever because a ton of people told me there was no way pilgrims turned into those butterflies that flew over the castle area until that Vaati guy considered it in one video then everyone changed their tune on that.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the "lore community". Anything Vaati or ENB says is gospel and don't you dare suggest otherwise. Everyone's just parroting them and it really stifles more interesting discussions.

See: Velka

It's not unique to Dark Souls lore though, it's the same with other games (aka. everyone parroting the most popular lore youtuber) :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Minrad posted:

Don't forget Firelink Shrine http://imgur.com/a/k1NDn

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice.

And I never understood the pilgrim butterfly thing, it seems completely obvious to me. The pilgrims (or the praying guys) turn into the trees in the high wall that are reaching toward the castle and then the trees turn into the butterflies and float toward the castle and then the butterflies lob hailfire volleys at you while you're fighting other stuff. What is not clear about that?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

This is one of my biggest gripes with the "lore community". Anything Vaati or ENB says is gospel and don't you dare suggest otherwise. Everyone's just parroting them and it really stifles more interesting discussions.

It's not unique to Dark Souls lore though, it's the same with other games (aka. everyone parroting the most popular lore youtuber) :(

Yeah it's a huge bummer, especially given their extreme focus on specific pet theories and ideas (gertrude/pontiff/velka in particular) that leads to basically everything else being left in the dust if they can't find a way to fit it, and then no one else wants to talk about anything but that. Doubly so since there was only ever like one guy who did Demon's Souls lore stuff and he vanished and took down all his videos after some point and that sucks because I liked his stuff.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I don't know who those people are but the idea that Velka, Goddess of Sin, might be behind a curse that's basically the physical manifestation of a punishment for the Gods' First Sin of keeping the Flame alive? That seems pretty straightforward.

Also Velka's Rapier has an Occult infusion. Occult stuff was literally used to hunt the gods :shobon:

Not that I wanted that to be the explanation, but some kind of closure would be nice. These 2 DLCs were fun but they don't really paint a complete picture the way DS1 and 2 did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone considered that siegbrau is a drink and Old Man McLoyf is the God of medicine and DRINK?

It's too convenient to be a coincidence!

Also did you notice the puddle of water in the Ringed City? What do you do with water? That's right, drink it! A clear and undeniable connection to Old Man McLoyf if I ever saw one.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy poo poo Inner Ringed Wall to the next bonfire is probably the longest area in all the games without a break. I feel like I missed a shortcut or something because that was A LOT of enemies and stuff to find and I just started running past stuff after I kept dying

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone considered that siegbrau is a drink and Old Man McLoyf is the God of medicine and DRINK?

It's too convenient to be a coincidence!

Also did you notice the puddle of water in the Ringed City? What do you do with water? That's right, drink it! A clear and undeniable connection to Old Man McLoyf if I ever saw one.

Excuse me for thinking the Darksign-shaped city at the end of the world might hold some kind of lore explanation for why the curse exists :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

e: oh my god, I just realised something amazing. I got a piece of armor from the Harald knights, which looked kinda silly to me since I'm :norway: and Harald is a common name (imagine getting the Andrew Gauntlets) and then I realised.. That's not the only name they took from Norwegian in this DLC. Lapp means Patch :cripes:

lmao that's great

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elman posted:

Excuse me for thinking the Darksign-shaped city at the end of the world might hold some kind of lore explanation for why the curse exists :v:

Because gods are assholes?

EDIT: So the last boss of this DLC is just straight up guts? Like, he even has a repeating crossbow as one of his weapons. I'm glad they ended this on a berserk reference. But this means Dark Souls 2 is the only one you don't fight a guts.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Elman posted:

I mean, the dudes with the huge darksign on their armor seem like they've got a pretty big hint. The armor of early men was forged in the Abyss, and betrays a smidgen of life. For this reason the gods cast a seal of fire upon such armor, and those who possessed them. The curse exists because the gods were afraid of the abyss.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Reminder that Velka and Lloyd don't mean poo poo in the grand scheme of things and that Dark Souls fans can have some weird-rear end fixations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, the dudes with the huge darksign on their armor seem like they've got a pretty big hint. The armor of early men was forged in the Abyss, and betrays a smidgen of life. For this reason the gods cast a seal of fire upon such armor, and those who possessed them. The curse exists because the gods were afraid of the abyss.

Yeah, this is one of the coolest revelations that this dlc brought for me. Their armor, and indeed the Darksign is the Abyss, sealed with a ring of fire by the Gods because they're scared jerks :getin:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

and that Dark Souls fans can have some weird rear end-fixations.
:yeah: Try thrust, but hole

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this is one of the coolest revelations that this dlc brought for me. Their armor, and indeed the Darksign is the Abyss, sealed with a ring of fire by the Gods because they're scared jerks :getin:

:yeah: Try thrust, but hole

Horse, but hole. Don't give up, horse!

I think my new lore theory is the same as the old lore theory Patches is Patches. He will always be Patches. No matter what game it is, it's Patches. Demons, darkness, beasts. It's Patches.

EDIT: Oh dang I just realized if I want any of the cool spells I'm going to have to do that awful dungeon level I hate. Well, gently caress that. Guess I'm not going to be a sword wizard.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Can't really say I get the complaints about the difficulty, the DLC telegraphs how to deal with stuff pretty well and nothing feels like it was poorly thought-out and unreasonable for a player that's played the entire game up to this point. I did get stuck for a couple hours on the section after the Inner Ringed City bonfire. It wasn't because of any obstacle in particular though, but the long gauntlet of one after the other. It's pretty solid level design.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think my two main issues are that
1)The judicator giants are bullshit (they can summon archers even when you're in melee, instakilling you. Also the ground-homing attack from the witch summons can be staggered enough to guarantee hits, taking off enormous chunks of health. And they can spawn spread enough that that you can't keep track of them, including behind the giant and thus obscuring their attacks. Probably bugs, and could easily be fixed but right now it sucks)

2) The swamp angels are too much trial and error for my tastes. You're punished for taking it slow or stopping, so you have to rush.. But there's no way of knowing where safe cover is until you're already in the open (for example, you can hide in some of the huts but others have no entrance). It should still only take a few attempts before you learn a safe path, but when the entire rest of the series encourages and rewards methodical and careful exploration and observation it feels jarring to have to throw yourself face first until you find a path that works.Of course, at least it's just a one-time thing since now that I know the path any future playthrough of the area will be much easier.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Elman posted:

Any idea why I can't enter the optional boss' fog wall?

Because he's still on the bridge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Seething Chaos worth picking up? What's it do? Is it one of the meteors that the Demon Prince summons?

Nuebot posted:

Horse, but hole. Don't give up, horse!

I think my new lore theory is the same as the old lore theory Patches is Patches. He will always be Patches. No matter what game it is, it's Patches. Demons, darkness, beasts. It's Patches.

EDIT: Oh dang I just realized if I want any of the cool spells I'm going to have to do that awful dungeon level I hate. Well, gently caress that. Guess I'm not going to be a sword wizard.

The super secret final boss is, in fact, Patch the Good Luck. Good luck parrying that!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I feel like the whole sideways city folding in on itself was a massive missed opportunity. Besides bizarre invincible drop points they did absolutely nothing with the concept and it felt just like any other gray stone castle town.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I think my two main issues are that
1)The judicator giants are bullshit (they can summon archers even when you're in melee, instakilling you. Also the ground-homing attack from the witch summons can be staggered enough to guarantee hits, taking off enormous chunks of health. And they can spawn spread enough that that you can't keep track of them, including behind the giant and thus obscuring their attacks. Probably bugs, and could easily be fixed but right now it sucks)

2) The swamp angels are too much trial and error for my tastes. You're punished for taking it slow or stopping, so you have to rush.. But there's no way of knowing where safe cover is until you're already in the open (for example, you can hide in some of the huts but others have no entrance). It should still only take a few attempts before you learn a safe path, but when the entire rest of the series encourages and rewards methodical and careful exploration and observation it feels jarring to have to throw yourself face first until you find a path that works.Of course, at least it's just a one-time thing since now that I know the path any future playthrough of the area will be much easier.

1) the swamp judges archers are a lot less accurate that the first judges so you can just dodge them. the first judge is right next to a staircase that you can use as cover whenever he spawns the archers.

2) i never died to the angels because i did the whole carefully planning my run through and testing how the angels work. lost a lot of estus though. basically there is a way to know where the safe cover is because theres only one option for safe cover. its those dumb huts, no other place to get close to your destination. also the dumb angels dont spam the curse more than once and only into spot where they think you are. they stop if they dont see you again after that so you arent in any actual rush.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You can also wait for them to not be looking at you and stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

You can also wait for them to not be looking at you and stuff.

Except on the last root where for whatever reason it stops doing the "look around" thing and always focuses on the root no matter how long you wait out of sight. Like, it's scripted specifically to do that so you can't wait for it to turn around.

I just don't think it's very compelling design. I wouldn't call it a game breaker (I mean, I loved the DLC) but there are a lot of ways I think they could've done it more interesting and in line with the rest of the game(s).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Found a video of Seething Chaos and Demon's Scar, looks like Scar might be better, though I don't know how effective it is as a pyromancy flame. The spell is a frag grenade. :v: Seems to take a little bit to explode though so it looks like it's more for catching people in pvp.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is that crazy turtle monk spin attack spell actually available to the player? That poo poo was hilarious.

It's a bit obnoxious though that those guys can caste their AOE
1) through walls and floors and a good distance away
2) in the air while you're on a ladder

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I was Co-oping with HaB last night and I got summoned into a spear fight in between sessions, but I'm not in that covenant, I haven't even gotten the covenant item yet.

Not sure what was happening there.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How do I progress npc questline in the dlc? Do they need to be summoned/alive at the end of a bossfight? I'd prefer to solo the new bosses but also don't want to lose out on quest stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is the second summon of the spear of the church fight an actual person who's summoned? Because. It often looks different Christ it's like playing a real person with the amount of backrolling. Really enjoyed that fight, best with several summons of your own for maximum gang beating