Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always read Snak as "snake" but it's apparently "snack"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I always read Snak as "snake" but it's apparently "snack"???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Those gummy bears better be loving amazing if I'm paying $5 for them. Jesus!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think I hate Lip Sync Battle for making celebrities singing a bigger trend. There's a new one on Comedy Central and another one coming to TBS that's a hip hop battle one which is bound to be embarrassing for everyone involved.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lip Sync Battle was like the perfect little example of a fad. It was weird, and then it was cool, and then it was kind of crazy the kinds of people who were doing it... and then people like Hoda were doing it and it was just as over as when your mom says she's feeling "aggro".

So now we just have to go through that awkward phase where everyone's doing it for a little while before it gets mercy killed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Series finale of Bones was on tonight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

Series finale of Bones was on tonight.

Did they find the bone?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did they bone?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They've been married on the show for years and have multiple children.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Could be adopted for all we know, did they bone?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched the pilot for Patriot. I really enjoyed it, the humor is right up my alley. The Brazilian dudes slowly coming out in their underwear to apply chokeholds and armbars was amazing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

This guy fucks Bones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I'm enjoying Magicians quite a bit. Apparently Syfy doesn't bleep the word oval office anymore.

It's like, idiotically stupid but I loving love it. The cast being insanely hot doesn't hurt either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Magicians is trash but it knows it is and leans in so its fine. And so far its managed to walk the line between "leaning into it" and "over indulging in it."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Magicians is trash but it knows it is and leans in so its fine. And so far its managed to walk the line between "leaning into it" and "over indulging in it."

Penny might be the best character currently on television.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he kind of keeps the whole show grounded by just being so disgusted at how loving stupid the reality he lives in is.

I can only imagine how he would have reacted to the musical number.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

So now we just have to go through that awkward phase where everyone's doing it for a little while before it gets mercy killed.

But where is Lip Sync Battle? This season has been so weird. It seems to be on for 2 weeks, then it's off for another month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watch a LOT of trash tv. A ton. All the CW comic shows for example. Over the last three weeks I've begun a major effort to exercise and be healthy and suddenly watching these shows feels kind of tedious. I feel like sitting around watching tv is a waste of time all of a sudden.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I watch a LOT of trash tv. A ton. All the CW comic shows for example. Over the last three weeks I've begun a major effort to exercise and be healthy and suddenly watching these shows feels kind of tedious. I feel like sitting around watching tv is a waste of time all of a sudden.

Gotta up your game, exercise while watching the garbage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just don't watch CW shows

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Legends is ok and iZombie even manages to be good most of the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

Gotta up your game, exercise while watching the garbage.

I currently have a tablet wedged into the elliptical bars, upgrading to a 37 inch tv for the workout room shortly.

Mu Zeta posted:

Just don't watch CW shows

Seems to be the solution.

MiddleOne posted:

Legends is ok and iZombie even manages to be good most of the time.

iZombie never feels like a CW comic show though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's about time to replace my 20 year-old CRT and bunny-ears. What's the "good enough" tier of TVs these days for watching the news and other broadcast TV? 1080p LCD?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy pretty much all the CW shows but they're all some degree or another of "trash." iZombie may not be part of the Arrowverse brand of "trash" but its a dopey procedural with silly storylines. I don't think there's really anything wrong with "trash". You can over indulge in it but its fine if its what you're looking for.

Most TV is a distraction. That's not inherently a bad thing. Its cool when TV rises above that and says or shows something. But sometimes you don't want that, you just want something fun.

But I will admit I was supposed to exercise tonight and I ended up sitting online so you've shamed me into going downstairs and working out a bit. I'll probably turn on a CW show while I do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoy pretty much all the CW shows but they're all some degree or another of "trash." iZombie may not be part of the Arrowverse brand of "trash" but its a dopey procedural with silly storylines. I don't think there's really anything wrong with "trash". You can over indulge in it but its fine if its what you're looking for.

Most TV is a distraction. That's not inherently a bad thing. Its cool when TV rises above that and says or shows something. But sometimes you don't want that, you just want something fun.

But I will admit I was supposed to exercise tonight and I ended up sitting online so you've shamed me into going downstairs and working out a bit. I'll probably turn on a CW show while I do it.

At the very least, iZombie has Ravi.

Also it's my rest day or I'd be right there exercising with you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I'm not knocking iZombie. I enjoy it too. But its a silly show like the rest of them. Its all popcorn and snack food.

Hey, if it makes you feel bad just link it to something good and tell yourself "I can only watch it while I'm working out." I go through swings of that and the CW comic shows basically set up perfectly for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I mean I guess technically you could call all TV "trash" by the definition of it being a distraction and something to do that passes time, but I tend to reserve that for pulpier shows and the kind of stuff like Maury or Dr. Phil that are an hour of human garbage bags screaming at each other.

Gaunab posted:

I think I hate Lip Sync Battle for making celebrities singing a bigger trend. There's a new one on Comedy Central and another one coming to TBS that's a hip hop battle one which is bound to be embarrassing for everyone involved.

If it wasn't LSB, it would have been Carpool Karaoke.

Rhyno posted:

My trash tv watching has been greatly reduced by the lack of variety of PS Vue vs. my old cable lineup. I don't really care about any of the channels I don't have anymore, but there was usually something I could put on for background noise. Now I could find something on Netflix to put on, but actively finding a show to make good background noise instead of channel surfing and saying "that'll work" is more effort than I'm willing to commit to, so instead I just watch nothing.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 29, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I mean, iZombie's not by any means a serious show that demands a level of introspection and critical thinking to appreciate. But I think you do it a minor disservice by writing it off as inconsequential. I find that it uses the zombie metaphor to explore, subtly and (more often) not-so-subtly, what it really means to be alive. Liv devouring brains gives her a sense of life lived from many different perspectives, in different ways, which contrasts with the tragedy of her being technically dead. It's a very profound show in that way, even if they don't necessarily push that aspect of it to its full potential.

If nothing else, compare that to The Walking Dead, a show whose interest in the breakdown of society has far surpassed any thematic use it may have had for the zombies that triggered its breakdown. And I say that as the guy who really, really hates it when somebody plays the "thing with niche audience is WAY better than super-popular thing about similar subject matter" card, LOOKIN' AT YOU Z NATION FANS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Again, iZombie has Ravi, that sets it far above most television.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I think it's about time to replace my 20 year-old CRT and bunny-ears. What's the "good enough" tier of TVs these days for watching the news and other broadcast TV? 1080p LCD?

You can get a good 40" 1920x1080 TCL TV with Roku from Amazon for about $270

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You can get a good 40" 1920x1080 TCL TV with Roku from Amazon for about $270

That's about 20 inches more than I need. I'm looking for something on the "computer monitor with an antenna jack" side of things and will be headed to the store to browse tomorrow. I just don't know what the line is right now between "useful tech" (digital for example, which is of course universal now) and "paying for the privilege of having the best tech" (4K resolution, OLED, stuff like that)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

That's about 20 inches more than I need. I'm looking for something on the "computer monitor with an antenna jack" side of things and will be headed to the store to browse tomorrow. I just don't know what the line is right now between "useful tech" (digital for example, which is of course universal now) and "paying for the privilege of having the best tech" (4K resolution, OLED, stuff like that)

Don't worry about any of that. If the TV is flat and less then $100, buy it. Good TVs are dirt cheap these days and if you're looking for something computer monitor sized you shouldn't be paying more than $100. Element is a good cheap brand and you can get one brand new for $80 at Target.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
4K would be better if you want a TV that'll last you another 20 years, but it definitely isn't necessary

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just buy a tuner card and watch tv through your monitor if you're gonna just buy something the same size already?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruceski posted:

TVs are obscenely cheap these days, there's a no-name 40 inch 1080p dumb tv on woot today for under 200 bucks. No-name is largely fine since all the actual panels are made in the same couple plants, the only real difference is the casing and software.

If you don't need a smart tv then I'd buy that. Nobody needs 4k yet, there's no content, and poo poo will just get cheaper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Video games are 4k now*, but if you're just buying for TV you don't need it probably.

*: Sort of.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The guy still using a CRT tv probably hasn't shelled out for a PS4Pro.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Escobarbarian posted:

4K would be better if you want a TV that'll last you another 20 years, but it definitely isn't necessary

If you're seriously recommending 4K for a 20 inch tv (hell, even a 40 inch tv), then you've bought into the hype.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Distance charts are bullshit and it doesn't work that way.

But they don't even make 4k below 40 inch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

Distance charts are bullshit and it doesn't work that way.

But they don't even make 4k below 40 inch anyway.

They do. They call them monitors, because even people selling these things are aware that you're not gonna see a difference at that size unless you're a foot away.

• Locked thread