Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
By the time the Devils don't suck, Taylor Hall is going to be, like, 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

By the time the Devils don't suck, Taylor Hall is going to be, like, 30.

To be fair, that's an upgrade over pre-McJesus Oilers where saying "retired" would not have been a stretch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think my favorite thing this time of year is when they do "Who won the trade?" polls and people just vote for whichever team has more points and/or made the playoffs.

Yes swapping Hall for Adam Larsson is why the Oilers made the playoffs. Good call.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it might be, you don't know

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I think my favorite thing this time of year is when they do "Who won the trade?" polls and people just vote for whichever team has more points and/or made the playoffs.

Yes swapping Hall for Adam Larsson is why the Oilers made the playoffs. Good call.

They're talking about the Avs doing a similar number with Duchene/Landeskog over this offseason because "gently caress it the D-corps is such a tire fire wouldn't you do anything to make it less poo poo?".

And for the Oilers, it's kind of half worked. I'm not going to argue that the Oilers won that trade because they almost certainly didn't (although Hall and Schneider will probably stop the Devils from genuinely bottoming out a la Leafs, Sabres, Avs or - hilariously - Oilers), but right now Larsson is a needed pick up (if not a good one) for a guy you had too many of.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kilza posted:

The fact the Oilers playoff drought and Wings playoff streak ended on the same day is amazing. I love it.

:getin:

With Edmonton in and Detroit out, I believe I've seen every team both make and miss the playoffs at least once in the length of time since I've been watching full NHL seasons (2006-07). The first SCF I watched was Oilers/Canes, though, but I only really picked up the NHL that Spring.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I'd rather have Larsson than Tay Tay

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Golden Man posted:

I'd rather have Larsson than Tay Tay

I don't believe you

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/1RayOfKayleigh/status/847065941431271425

:lol: Atlantic.

At:lol:antic?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually that statistic means the Atlantic is good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Also amusing is Edmonton and San Jose having clinched with 93 points with 6-7 games remaining. West is a piece of poo poo.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

it probably means the atlantic has a lesser divide between top teams and lower teams. The metro dominates like hell since they have 4 of the top 5 spots, but more teams are still in a playoffs position in the atlantic than other divisions despite their leading team (MTL) being above all 3 pacific teams and 1 point off the second team of the central, with one less wildcard spot to go

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 29, 2017

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why does it always seem like Chicago has played more games than everyone else?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Also amusing is Edmonton and San Jose having clinched with 93 points with 6-7 games remaining. West is a piece of poo poo.

How many points do you think the ninth place team in the east will end up with?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I wasn't even that excited by the hat trick, it came so easily.

The hero of that game was Oshie. It's going to be so different next year if they can't find a guy that can finish like he can, both in the slot, from the circles and in the shootout.

Earlier in the year I was 100% in favor of letting Oshie walk this offseason but now I'm not so sure. Yeah he's shooting 24% but he shot 14% last season and still scored 26 goals and the Capitals don't really have someone who can step in and take his spot.

I dunno maybe MacLellan can fleece another GM in a trade to get a top-line RW this offseason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why does it always seem like Chicago has played more games than everyone else?

They haven't? :confused:

It's just that NBC/NBCSN can't stop beating off to them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

With good reason IMO. :angel:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

You mean the Penguins/Crosby.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any astute hockey mind would rather have Larsson and Lucic than say Hall and Demers, sure.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I see Grabner's shooting percentage is starting to dip back to his career average. 6 shots on net last night alone, 1 clean breakaway, another almost breakaway, and no goals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How many points do you think the ninth place team in the east will end up with?

Probably 90-92 points. LA would need to go 7-0 just to get to 91. Tampa can hit 90 by going 3-3-1 which seems fairly realistic.

Anyways it's not that 93 points is a terrible number to make the playoffs it's just hilarious they've clinched so early with a relatively mediocre point total.

Mind_Taker posted:

Earlier in the year I was 100% in favor of letting Oshie walk this offseason but now I'm not so sure. Yeah he's shooting 24% but he shot 14% last season and still scored 26 goals and the Capitals don't really have someone who can step in and take his spot.

I dunno maybe MacLellan can fleece another GM in a trade to get a top-line RW this offseason.

Please get rid of him that fucker always scores on the Pens

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

you're a columbus fan

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Loqieu posted:

I see Grabner's shooting percentage is starting to dip back to his career average. 6 shots on net last night alone, 1 clean breakaway, another almost breakaway, and no goals.

He's been getting about 2 breakaways a game lately and he either tries to go top shelf and misses completely or biffs it right into the leg pad. We knew he wouldn't keep it up but goddamn he looks snakebit right now.

Nice to see Stepan heating up though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oilers fans are going to be insufferable when they break Canada's cup drought in June.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Oilers fans are going to be insufferable when they break Canada's cup drought in June.

It's gonna be pretty sick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's gonna be pretty sick.

*sickening

Jamwad Hilder posted:

be honest, any Canadian team that wins it next is going to have the most annoying fans for a long time

Yes, but I want that to be the douchey fans of the team I support.

Actually, Ottawa are cool because that whole city is overly stuffy and polite even to the rest of us Canadians.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
be honest, any Canadian team that wins it next is going to have the most annoying fans for a long time, and Toronto would be the absolute worst

ThinkTank posted:

Actually, Ottawa are cool because that whole city is stuffy and polite even to the rest of us Canadians.

I was going to say, I could see Ottawa fans being the least annoying of all seven cities.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go hawks sharks jackets caps preds leafs oilers

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Sharks or Preds vs Leafs please.

Really anybody but Minnesota.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In news that will shock absolutely nobody, newly unsealed emails show Gary Bettman was telling league GMs how to deflect questions about fighting/concussions

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, fire this piece of poo poo already

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Is Trump still president in 2022?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The oilers are gonna get bounced in the first or second round this year and then win the whole megillah next year on the back of a 100 point seasons from condor and leon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jesus, fire this piece of poo poo already

Why would the owners fire the guy that makes them more money? Just like we all want Roger Goodell gone, the NFL owners won't do it till it hits them in their wallets. The only way to get that to happen is to stop consuming the product... :saddowns:

They'll just appoint another Roger Goodell or Gary Bettmen to take over and the cycle will continue.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
You think the oilers are gonna lose to the flames or to the ducks?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DJExile posted:

Every time I go to look at the standings, it seems like they're a game or two ahead. In the middle of the year it was more obvious when they were in a tight race with Minnesota who was like four games in hand. Now they're racing with the Metro, and those teams also have games in hand. I remember this happening last year and before. Maybe I just have the worst timing?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Charlie McAvoy signed with the Bruins

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Charlie McAvoy signed with the Bruins

Internet is saying he's probably only going to do a try-out with Providence though, because his contract can't slide.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well, obviously. what else are you going to do? take Adam McQuaid out of the lineup?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cartoon Man posted:

You mean the Penguins/Crosby.

The Penguins are the most unduly picked on franchise in the entire loving league. They don't have any big men besides Malkin and they haven't had a goon on the roster for years, but they get a reputation for "playing dirty." Everyone hates the team that's better than theirs, I guess.

• Locked thread