Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I will say though is that Nier just made me like really sad so if you don't want to be really sad don't play it. If your natural state is being really sad then I guess you'll enjoy it regardless of the story.

edit: It's good that it made me feel that way because emotionally-driven games are very good but I also sort of regret becoming so immersed in the game's world and story now because I'm loving bummed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Palpek posted:

Cool, the "bad" TW3 ending was the best one imo so I'm looking forward to N:A even more.

When I got the bad ending in base TW3, I looked up where I screwed up and I knew what exactly I did wrong and thought it was fair I got it. I got the bad ending in B&W and I got pissed because I only got the bad ending because I didn't read some journal entries :argh:

Mordja posted:

If I'm basically dead inside and don't really have any strong feelings anymore, will Nier: Automata give me that emotional hit I so desperately crave?

Maybe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

I dunno, Life is Strange still fucks me up. And how can anyone forget the trauma of losing Aeris 20 years ago.

I still think about Life is Strange at least once maybe every other day, even though it takes all of 15 hours to complete and I'll likely never touch it again. That and how STUPID it was that Angela Chase ended up with Jordan Catalano at the end of My-So Called Life and how could they cancel that show after only one season!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I still think about Life is Strange at least once maybe every other day, even though it takes all of 15 hours to complete and I'll likely never touch it again. That and how STUPID it was that Angela Chase ended up with Jordan Catalano at the end of My-So Called Life and how could they cancel that show after only one season!!!

Same

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What I will say though is that Nier just made me like really sad so if you don't want to be really sad don't play it. If your natural state is being really sad then I guess you'll enjoy it regardless of the story.

edit: It's good that it made me feel that way because emotionally-driven games are very good but I also sort of regret becoming so immersed in the game's world and story now because I'm loving bummed!

I'm cool with games (and entertainment in general) making me sad, I just have to be in the right mood for it. What convinced me not to play Nier: Automata yet was watching a video of the game in which a player starts cutting up robots while they beg for their lives and I felt sad and I was like "nope, not going to have a good time with this right now, maybe this summer." Because I'm willing to bet that's not even the half of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not even a tiny fraction of it, man

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where am I at with nier emotional devastation if I tear up watching the ending of luigi's mansion 2

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

What convinced me not to play Nier: Automata yet was watching a video of the game in which a player starts cutting up robots while they beg for their lives and I felt sad and I was like "nope, not going to have a good time with this right now, maybe this summer." Because I'm willing to bet that's not even the half of it.

Oh man yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nier Automata really could've just been subtitled "Yoko Taro Has An Insane Desire To Make You Cry, The Video Game" and nothing would be different. Which imo is a point in its favor. A video game hasn't made me feel such a deep pain in my chest like the true ending of Nier Automata did in a long time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lakbay posted:

When I got the bad ending in base TW3, I looked up where I screwed up and I knew what exactly I did wrong and thought it was fair I got it. I got the bad ending in B&W and I got pissed because I only got the bad ending because I didn't read some journal entries :argh:

Maybe
Yeah, the B&W ending can get screwed easily and in order to get the GOOD good ending you have to pick up an option that is the opposite of what you'd like to achieve, it's not cool.

The bad ending in the main game was really properly built up too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the last time a platinum game tried to make me feel guilt for cutting up robots was metal gear rising revengeance when the sai robot wearing a derby hat activated my emotions chip or something and buddy if you think that slowed me down from cracking open dumbasses for their spine juice for even a second you'd be mistaken

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Metal Gear Rising is so over the top that any attempt to elicit an emotion other than "gently caress yes this is awesome" comes across as parody and that's why it owns.

I'm assuming Nier is a bit more... sincere.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they weren't trying to make you sad they were trying to make you feel like it was Time for Jack, to Let 'er Rip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People shouldn't really call this a platinum game because outside of the sword animations it is nothing like anything else theyve worked on.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

the last time a platinum game tried to make me feel guilt for cutting up robots was metal gear rising revengeance when the sai robot wearing a derby hat activated my emotions chip or something and buddy if you think that slowed me down from cracking open dumbasses for their spine juice for even a second you'd be mistaken

But the robots in NieR are cute, and their little spherical robot heads overheat God Hand style when you taunt them.

In Training posted:

People shouldn't really call this a platinum game because outside of the sword animations it is nothing like anything else theyve worked on.

It has MGR's parry and Transformers/Bayonetta's Witch time. It also has really cool unarmed combat and insane difficulty, should you choose that. You can also dodge offset.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 29, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cute is bad

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cowcaster posted:

cute is bad

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah, they only did the combat, not the story. Platinum Games stories are about kids smacking action figures together and imagining cool poo poo and having a great time. Yoko Taro is going for something very different.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

Frankly if I'm not aware that the thug whose guts I'm slicing up into ribbons wass a good and loving daddy then it's not as satisfying to kill him. Which is why Dishonored 2 is so good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

cute is bad

good news, they look like this when you're chopping their faces up

Cowcaster I do not appreciate your contrarian attitude toward this incredible video game and I'm very disappointed

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it's a videogame, videogames cannot hurt you

http://smod.wikidot.com/weapon:psp

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

It's not a coincidence that slowing down enough to hear the entire inner pathos of the enemies in that section makes you get a D rank. But if you actually do listen to them, it's legitimately depressing stuff. Metal Gear Rising is really good because it puts the stupid awesome poo poo on top and the depressing political commentary is only there if you dig a little, and even then it's mostly relevant as to how it informs the actions of the characters, not as a direct attempt to make you feel something. The game doesn't stop dead in its tracks to vomit garbage exposition at you or walk you through the "clever" plot twist or have something completely stupid happen while manipulative music plays and Kojima yells "LOOK HOW DEEP I AM".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the B&W ending can get screwed easily and in order to get the GOOD good ending you have to pick up an option that is the opposite of what you'd like to achieve, it's not cool.

The bad ending in the main game was really properly built up too.

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a coincidence that slowing down enough to hear the entire inner pathos of the enemies in that section makes you get a D rank. But if you actually do listen to them, it's legitimately depressing stuff. Metal Gear Rising is really good because it puts the stupid awesome poo poo on top and the depressing political commentary is only there if you dig a little, and even then it's mostly relevant as to how it informs the actions of the characters, not as a direct attempt to make you feel something. The game doesn't stop dead in its tracks to vomit garbage exposition at you or walk you through the "clever" plot twist or have something completely stupid happen while manipulative music plays and Kojima yells "LOOK HOW DEEP I AM".
There's so many times where NieR could've done this but it doesn't. Everybody play NieR.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The game doesn't stop dead in its tracks to vomit garbage exposition at you or walk you through the "clever" plot twist or have something completely stupid happen while manipulative music plays and Kojima yells "LOOK HOW DEEP I AM".

in the very section of the game we're talking about eventually the game locks you out of moving or attacking because raiden is so "emotionally distraught" or something so you have to hobble-stealth your way around some enemies to the boss who vomits garbage exposition at you, so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kojima is a lot of things but I don't think his style can ever be accused of too much subtlety.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Metal Gear Rising is the only good Metal Gear game to come out after 2004 (which is when the last good Metal Gear Solid game came out).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Metal Gear Rising is the only good Metal Gear game to come out after 2004 (which is when the last good Metal Gear Solid game came out).

Metal Gear Solid 4, Peace Walker and V would like a word

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and don't get me wrong i love the poo poo out of revengeance but to me that whole sequence is a very big and palpable wart on the game as a whole and just based on hearsay it sounds to me like nier is "that sequence: the game"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In one MGR boss monologue cutscene you can push the analog stick to tilt the camera a little and see that just out of frame is a guard petting a kitty :3:

As for Automata, I'm only halfway through route B but the robot death cult near the end of route A is the highlight so far.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

That word is "bad"

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

and don't get me wrong i love the poo poo out of revengeance but to me that whole sequence is a very big and palpable wart on the game as a whole and just based on hearsay it sounds to me like nier is "that sequence: the game"
Even if you don't give a drat about the story, there are things inherent to the game's design that you could appreciate. So, give it a try when everyone is done fellating it and on sale or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

In one MGR boss monologue cutscene you can push the analog stick to tilt the camera a little and see that just out of frame is a guard petting a kitty :3:

As for Automata, I'm only halfway through route B but the robot death cult near the end of route A is the highlight so far.

I love that guy that shields the cat from the rain because it undermines Monsoon's entire point about how soldiers have to be cold and unfeeling and repress their emotions because letting them out and showing weakness makes you weak- and how we are controlled by our emotions whether they're being suppressed or not. While he's goin on about all this bullshit, dude sees a cat and he's like "I will help you my friend".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought mgs:v was loving fantastic, albeit obviously incomplete but also it's the only metal gear game i've ever played (not counting revengeance which isn't really so much a metal gear game)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

The DLC stuff has no effect on the main story at all, it's separate content. The ending is only effected by (not really a big spoiler but I'll tag it just in case) about 6-7 timed dialog choices during the second half of the main game, after you find Ciri.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

Your friend is bullshitting you. One of the endings of one of the DLCs lets you get hints about how to get the good ending in the main game if you finish said DLC before finishing the main game but that's it, there's no direct influence on the main game's endings.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

haha good, at this rate the game is enjoyable enough but the aspect of route 2 so far for me is less about "oh this new combat is fun" and more about "ok when will things pick up and I can stop retreading things". so I've been anxious about when things truly diverge

End of Route B and beyond basically.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

I was quite surprised at how much like the original it is. From the demo I was expecting something closer to the platinum formula.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

whoa now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I don't really like any of those unfortunately :(

I really thought MGSV was ruined by its open world, especially. It really didn't need that. It's the game that made me go "maybe open worlds... are bad?????" Which was also wrong, but I just wasn't into it. MGS4 and V both have better controls than any other MGS game though, so I gotta give them credit for making controlling Snake feel really great. I bet if I came into MGSV not expecting a good final MGS story and just hosed around with stealth I'd have an okay time, but I really want more than that from an MGS game.

• Locked thread