Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.

I don't know how he fell under that impression, the only way the DLCs might help is that there is a character in HoS who can drop major hints about how to get the best ending if you end up wrapping that DLC up before act 1 of the main story ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.

Your friend is extremely wrong. The ending is reliant entirely on choices you make during the main story quests. That said the DLC are both really, really, really good but you're right that Blood and Wine is basically an epilogue and makes the most sense if you play it after the ending.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gamer prayer for all my sisters and brothers that can't appreciate metal gear 🙏🛐

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I was quite surprised at how much like the original it is. From the demo I was expecting something closer to the platinum formula.

What I like is how Platinum's focus on mini-games in their past titles (and their improvement in making them) meshed with the DNA of the previous NieR, to the point where it's understated how well it mixes genres to make a solid product. Now I almost want to see Platinum make a Wario-Ware game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I don't really like any of those unfortunately :(

I really thought MGSV was ruined by its open world, especially. It really didn't need that. It's the game that made me go "maybe open worlds... are bad?????" Which was also wrong, but I just wasn't into it. MGS4 and V both have better controls than any other MGS game though, so I gotta give them credit for making controlling Snake feel really great. I bet if I came into MGSV not expecting a good final MGS story and just hosed around with stealth I'd have an okay time, but I really want more than that from an MGS game.

MGSV is my favorite stealth game ever and I had a blast S ranking everything and trying to no-trace missions and such.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the open world in v wasn't very good and it should have worked like peace walker

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

oddium posted:

the open world in v wasn't very good and it should have worked like peace walker

I had more fun exploring the base in Ground Zeroes than in the entirety of The Phantom Pain's open world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

I had more fun exploring the base in Ground Zeroes than in the entirety of The Phantom Pain's open world.

:same:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

:same:

In Training posted:

MGSV is my favorite stealth game ever and I had a blast S ranking everything and trying to no-trace missions and such.

I'll have to give it another shot. When I played it when it came out, I was too disappointed in the story and characters and annoyed by the "wait real-life time to research things" mechanics and eventually the stealth and controlling Snake just wasn't enough to make me want to keep playing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The trick is to not treat it like an open world. Just do the mission and get out. By usual open world standards there is next to nothing to do in the world that isn't mission related.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I was about to say I would trade MGSV's open world for a bunch of Ground Zeroes style levels

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked the open world in mgsv but only in the sense that the major missions carved discrete chunks out of it that could be connected. it was pretty flat just tooling around doing side missions

edit: what everyone above me just said

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

yeah I didn't do anything except run the mission in that area and then leave.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I don't really like any of those unfortunately :(

I really thought MGSV was ruined by its open world, especially. It really didn't need that. It's the game that made me go "maybe open worlds... are bad?????" Which was also wrong, but I just wasn't into it. MGS4 and V both have better controls than any other MGS game though, so I gotta give them credit for making controlling Snake feel really great. I bet if I came into MGSV not expecting a good final MGS story and just hosed around with stealth I'd have an okay time, but I really want more than that from an MGS game.

I think that open worlds are unfortunately here to stay because they A) fulfill many people's unreasonable demands that every single new AAA release is some 80-hour content monstrosity and B) copy-pasting a bunch of identikit busywork for players to do is actually one of the easier things to program, instead of focusing on a tightly-wound story or side quests that require additional voicework, writers, scripted events, and unique locations. Just overwhelm the player with map markers into submission.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I was about to say I would trade MGSV's open world for a bunch of Ground Zeroes style levels

That's kind of what each outpost is

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It took me a long time to realize you didn't need to chopper out of the area to complete every mission because I just treated them like discrete levels in the first place.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The biggest sin that MGR commited was missing out on the chance to make enemies' blood white like in MGS4 and having it turn red whenever you switched Ripped Mode on.

In Training posted:

No-trace, S-ranks you say?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Cool, the "bad" TW3 ending was the best one imo so I'm looking forward to N:A even more.

hosed up, man

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

witcher 3's open world frightens me in how terrifyingly detailed novigrad and kaer morhen are because somewhere some polish team of level designers must have died from exhaustion. there's a poo poo gazillion interconnected nooks and crannies and ladders and hallways you can poke your head into that serve absolutely no purpose.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the bad w3 ending is where ciri is emperor instead of a witcher with her mom and dad living in the woods right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think that open worlds are unfortunately here to stay because they A) fulfill many people's unreasonable demands that every single new AAA release is some 80-hour content monstrosity and B) copy-pasting a bunch of identikit busywork for players to do is actually one of the easier things to program, instead of focusing on a tightly-wound story or side quests that require additional voicework, writers, scripted events, and unique locations. Just overwhelm the player with map markers into submission.

Almost certainly true. And it isn't like they can't be done well, and done well in multiple ways. The Witcher 3, Horizon, and Breath of the Wild all have great open worlds that actually add to the experience, and they all do different things and are good for different reasons.

Like any trend in games, sometimes it adds to the game and sometimes it subtracts from it and now "how well-done is the open world" is just becoming a standard thing to look at for action-adventure games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The main theme of The Witcher 3 is "Helicopter parenting is a bad idea"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

Your friend is extremely wrong. The ending is reliant entirely on choices you make during the main story quests. That said the DLC are both really, really, really good but you're right that Blood and Wine is basically an epilogue and makes the most sense if you play it after the ending.

Cool, yeah, I figured. I'll stick with my plan of doing HOS when it's level-appropriate, beating the game, and then doing B&W then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

the bad w3 ending is where ciri is emperor instead of a witcher with her mom and dad living in the woods right

Nah you mixed them up. It's ok there are lots of bad dads out there.

But seriously, the bad ending is pretty great.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I want a tane gang tag...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

The trick is to not treat it like an open world. Just do the mission and get out. By usual open world standards there is next to nothing to do in the world that isn't mission related.

This. I never thought of MGSV as an open world, more like a hub that happened to house other random things to find and the overall map where other missions took place. It was kind of annoying calling the helicopter and not being able to simply fast travel to another map location without going ALL the way home, though. Even with that plus the grind to get certain, totally optional weaponry (you can beat most of the game with very basic tools except maybe the godawful boss battles) it still stands out as one of the best stealth action games ever. To this day I still get disappointed when I can't go from a run to a leaping dive and into a roll in any 3rd person shooters. Honestly that's partially why I tried Wildlands thinking it would be like MGSV and being incredibly put off by how stiff and lovely it was. Any game like that just feels stiff after playing MGSV.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the entire movement system of mgsv is so entirely fluid and intuitive that i can only hope that konami is putting the fox engine to good use by creating a slew of pachinko machines with gaming's only extant examples of good soft cover systems

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

This. I never thought of MGSV as an open world, more like a hub that happened to house other random things to find and the overall map where other missions took place. It was kind of annoying calling the helicopter and not being able to simply fast travel to another map location without going ALL the way home, though. Even with that plus the grind to get certain, totally optional weaponry (you can beat most of the game with very basic tools except maybe the godawful boss battles) it still stands out as one of the best stealth action games ever. To this day I still get disappointed when I can't go from a run to a leaping dive and into a roll in any 3rd person shooters. Honestly that's partially why I tried Wildlands thinking it would be like MGSV and being incredibly put off by how stiff and lovely it was. Any game like that just feels stiff after playing MGSV.

Sit in a cardboard box at a delivery point and a truck will pick you up. Then you can pick a destination to go, assuming you have picked up the delivery slip at that place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sit in a cardboard box at a delivery point and a truck will pick you up. Then you can pick a destination to go, assuming you have picked up the delivery slip at that place.

Having to have picked up the delivery slip is a bullshit extra step.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the entire movement system of mgsv is so entirely fluid and intuitive that i can only hope that konami is putting the fox engine to good use by creating a slew of pachinko machines with gaming's only extant examples of good soft cover systems

Did Kojima bring over much of his team to the new studio? If they are working on making Horizon's engine even better that seems like a glorious revolution

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It works like any other fast travel system where you have to have been there once though? Not really that big of a deal

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

It works like any other fast travel system where you have to have been there once though? Not really that big of a deal

i can see how specifically having to grab the slip off the signpost instead of it just autoupdating like most other fast travel systems can be considered a bullshit extra step, but yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just preordered Persona 5, people were mentioning issues with the Steelbook Version but that was just a hoax right

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

lurdiak's got a pile of new yorker caption submissions in their mailbox because the postman just ignores the unaddressed envelopes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol gently caress I always forgot about that.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Kojima bring over much of his team to the new studio? If they are working on making Horizon's engine even better that seems like a glorious revolution

quite a few people who worked on FOX engine stuff, cinematics, and general developers from the Konami team joined him, as well as having Mark Cerny onboard to help produce. by all accounts, with the excellent new Guerilla engine plus Cerny plus Sony's blank check, they'll probably get to reach the potential of the Fox Engine or beyond.

Here's an article about his team composition of people from Konami: http://www.indieobscura.com/article/834/hideo-kojima-expands-death-stranding-team-with-ex-konami-staff

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just preordered Persona 5, people were mentioning issues with the Steelbook Version but that was just a hoax right

I thought you were a gamefly-er like me

(I'm going to preorder persona 5 too)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know one of the leads was stuck behind at Konami and left to work at Namco.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Amazon told a bunch of people their order was dangerous or something and some people may have had them cancelled, but then Atlus spoke to Amazon and those people are getting the game for free now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm definitely reaching the point where even though I hate the idea of paying $60 for a video game, I feel I have to play Nier now to just get that story experience under my belt before the allure is lost or it gets spoiled or whatever. I was going to fire up MGSV as my first PS4 title but if that takes as long as it supposedly does then that doesn't seem like a good idea.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the xof engine....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I thought you were a gamefly-er like me

(I'm going to preorder persona 5 too)

I am! Maybe this is just hype talking and I'll cancel this preorder, even if P5 gets here a few days late I still have all of Nier playthrough CDE to get through anyway

• Locked thread