Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eikre posted:

Also, there are some correct art opinions in this topic imho. I took thirty seconds in paint.net to explore the common sentiment that Invocations should have been illustrated with Dynastic frescos, and honestly it could have been loving great.

If they had just done all the art in that style, not used a dumb font for the name and type line, not filled up the name and type lines with extra garbage characters, and used colored mana symbols for the cost (Use different shades than normal so it looks painted on stone! But let me see what color it is at a glance!) these could have actually been really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The color's painted on the "pillars" and the Bolas symbols on the sides. I found it the one thing that was easily readable in the frame. :shrug:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Idk anything about tcgs because I'm not a NERD
mods rename this thread tia

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Eikre posted:

They should have written the card names and typelines like the Rosetta Stone. Use actual hieroglyphs to render the words phonetically, then write them in English using a psuedo-Demotic typeset, and then write it one more time translated into Koine Greek with half-sized print.

Also, there are some correct art opinions in this topic imho. I took thirty seconds in paint.net to explore the common sentiment that Invocations should have been illustrated with Dynastic frescos, and honestly it could have been loving great.

The font is still garbage but this actually looks really good

I'd be happy to play iMICRYPTICCOMMANB!?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in case you missed any

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/masterpiece-series-amonkhet-invocations-2017-03-29

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also theres a story update but i dont want to read it so someone else can go through the no doubt brilliant writing it has in it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I like how they don't have labels under them.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i like how vindicate and pulse have the same art

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like how there's only two red ones and no green ones.

But 10 blue ones.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i like how vindicate and pulse have the same art

hey now they are very different, one of the gods is wearing blue, and the other is wearing white

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
austere command and containment priest are also very similar, which i don't like

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Austere Command, Containment Priest, Divert, Spell Pierce, Stifle, Attrition, Diabolic Intent, Entomb, and Aggravated Assault are all new I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are a lot of cards that I really enjoy playing with in the inventions... If no one wants them and they are super cheap I just might pick some up...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's containment priest too? It's like half of miracles has been made into inserts already. They should've done Terminus with the other sorceries. :negative:

Hellsau posted:

....huh. I literally could picture a Sensei's Divining Top Invention in my head, but apparently I made that up. Did someone post a mockup of one in this thread?

Yeah, I remember that too. It's probably the aesthetics of the EMA one in foil mixed with the inventions.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Good morning to everyone except the people who designed invocations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Okay, you know what - nevermind the godawful frame, unreadable text and overall bad design.

Why is the art so goddamn bad on all of these? I mean look at them - they are poo poo! The Kaladesh inventions, aside from a few stinkers, actually all looked pretty good, and the Expeditions were actually pretty drat sweet, even with the stupid text box. But why do all of these look like this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They look like 90s and early 2000s special effects you'd expect from Stargate and the SG-1 TV series. We already said that was the theme weeks ago.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jenx posted:

Okay, you know what - nevermind the godawful frame, unreadable text and overall bad design.

Why is the art so goddamn bad on all of these? I mean look at them - they are poo poo! The Kaladesh inventions, aside from a few stinkers, actually all looked pretty good, and the Expeditions were actually pretty drat sweet, even with the stupid text box. But why do all of these look like this?

A few are good. Mind Twist and Counterspell come to mind.

The only really bad invention is Wurmcoil the attack slug.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

also theres a story update but i dont want to read it so someone else can go through the no doubt brilliant writing it has in it

:siren: Warning: Actual quotes from Magic: the Gathering story ahead :siren:

quote:

What strange friends I've made.

A second thought crept from the corners of my mind, one I tried pushed away.

How strange it is to have friends.

quote:

Man, who woulda guessed Amonkhet would be nothing but a giant pit of wasteland and sand and sun? Wait, make that suns, there's two of them, what the heck, no wonder it's so hot. Well I mean hot in like a relative sense because Kaladesh had this stifling humidity thing happening sometimes and really everywhere isn't all that hot after the lava pits of Regatha, but yeesh everyone else looks like they're melting into watery rice pudding in this dry sandy heat.

quote:

Only Beefslab's reflexes saved Jace as the larger man turned and grabbed Jace's arm with one hand, keeping him from slipping under.

quote:

HOLY FIERY RIVERS OF REGATHA WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT THING AND DID IT JUST EAT LILIANA NO WAY WHAT THE HELL DIE IN A PILLAR OF FLAME YOU BIG FAT STUPID WAIT DID NISSA JUST SAY THERE WERE MORE COMING OH GEEZ YUP THERE THEY ARE GET OUT OF THE WAY I'LL ROAST YOU ALL GIVE BACK LILIANA YOU STUPID SONS OF INBRED BANDARS—

quote:

I watch as the wurm rears back and begins convulsing. I back away because when I see humans do this it usually is followed by projectile vomiting, and I do not want sand wurm vomit on me no thank you.

Actual story summary: They land in the middle of the desert and it's poo poo. Chandra creates a little glass tunnel for them with fire and they try to scout magically and can't find anything, but then chandra looks out the window and sees giant Nicol Bolas horns and they decide to go that way. They get attacked by zombies and win, then get attacked by sand wurms and win, including Liliana getting swallowed by one and then death magicking her way out or something. Then the sand wurms turn into zombie sand wurms because amonkhet is a lovely plane to live on and they're about to kill either Lili or Nissa when female Anubis shows up to save the day. They keep walking towards the horns and find a city magically protected from the desert. Fin.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Elyv posted:

Chandra creates a little glass tunnel for them with fire

it says something about me that this is what annoys me most here

this is a very good way to die when the glass you didn't anneal shatters

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lili's turn at narration being replaced with a picture of the wurm that ate her was a pretty good gag though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jenx posted:

suicidesteve posted:

A few are good. Mind Twist and Counterspell come to mind.

The only really bad invention is Wurmcoil the attack slug.

I can imagine between the complications of a last minute rotation change, and still adjusting to the added commission work from Masterpieces, they were simply overwhelmed and corners were cut (and frames ended up like butt). Let's hope that doesn't extend to the game design.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Do lottery cards still work as an incentive if I'd rather open one of the full art lands than

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So the only foil or promo version of containment priest is the dumb Egypt one and there's still no fancy version of worldly tutor? Lame.

Wurms returning owns though, Wurms are great.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Reading the garbage story, it looks like they're going to try to justify not having any green Invocations by saying "well Amonkhet is a plane about death and decay and that isn't what green gets to do." Seriously, who loving signed off on the list and didn't at least throw in a single mono-green card?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sup guys, just gonna stand here holdin my bow. Yep, think I'll just continue doing that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think I'd like the Invocations better if they were actually unreadable and the rules text was replaced with pictures describing the effect of the card. That'd have been sweet.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think I'd like the Invocations better if they were actually unreadable and the rules text was replaced with pictures describing the effect of the card. That'd have been sweet.

That's a full art card and they do in fact rule.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hereby apologize for everything snarky I ever said about full-art Cryptic Command being dumb.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The cards are already ugly as sin there's no need to post over quantized jpegs. You're a media company have you not heard of png files???

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The cards are already ugly as sin there's no need to post over quantized jpegs. You're a media company have you not heard of png files???

They don't want hi quality scans for counterfeiters! :tinfoil:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i have some bad news, they are .pngs, which means the low quality is intentional

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

clamiam45 posted:

That's a full art card and they do in fact rule.

A full-art card is just a regular magic art that takes up the whole card. I mean like, an Invocation Cryptic Command would be like four lines of hieroglyphs, one depicting each of the card's four modes, prefaced by another symbol or something that means 'choose any two'. They'd essentially be full-textbox cards but the text would be pictograms

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Forget full art cards, i want No Art Cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

We're most of the way there.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chutch posted:

If I was to purchase one of the premade commander decks, which would be the strongest ones in terms of out-of-the-box?

From other forums it seems like Plunder the Graves (Meren of Clan Nel is the commander) is among the strongest, but those evaluations are dated from before the 2016 commander were released, so im unsure how strong the 2016 commander decks are compared to the older. From mtggoldfish it seems like the strongest 2016 decks are Breya and Atraxa.

You've got it right, those are powerful. Massdrop has all five 2015 decks up for about $115 if you're in the US.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/commander-2015-5-pack-presale

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Don't worry, Amonkhet has that covered too

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Wow this magic story:

quote:

Liliana leads the way, and the rest join her, and soon we're all standing inside, looking out at the blur of sand and dust creating a constant sound like a thousand mothers shushing their children at some kind of weird place where there'd be a thousand mothers and their children gathered, only the thousand mothers is just tens of thousands of grains of sand washing over our little dome in this crazy storm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I went to a court hearing today and the judge agreed with my argument. Afterwards, opposing counsel waited for me in the hall to tell me I was wrong (even though the judge explicitly said I wasn't) and to tell me she thought I sucked.

Apparently those salty people on MTGO who tell you that you suck when they lose exist in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

OfChristandMen posted:

Wow this magic story:

Holy poo poo, I thought this was a joke.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/impact-2017-03-29

:psyduck:

Just make a game full of demons and monsters and poo poo. gently caress the "story"

• Locked thread