Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Does anyone have experience with the high end cuckoo rice cookers?

They seem to be coming up in reviews a lot lately as better than Zojirushi, but I wonder if that's a case of sensationalism rather than cool judgement.

I've been using ZJ for years and normally wouldn't consider something else, but the cuckoos have a pressure cook option which seems nice. I have rice daily and sometimes get caught out later than I expect and waiting for a full rice cook becomes bothersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gameko posted:

Does anyone have experience with the high end cuckoo rice cookers?

They seem to be coming up in reviews a lot lately as better than Zojirushi, but I wonder if that's a case of sensationalism rather than cool judgement.

I've been using ZJ for years and normally wouldn't consider something else, but the cuckoos have a pressure cook option which seems nice. I have rice daily and sometimes get caught out later than I expect and waiting for a full rice cook becomes bothersome.

Assuming you have a micom ZJ, why not just prep the rice in the morning and use the timed cook function? Buying a new rice cooker seems a bit overkill.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Oh, the new cooker purchase isn't just for pressure cooking. My old ZJ was ruined when my inlaws used it for a week and scratched up the bowl with a metal spoon, further scratched it with a scour pad, and cracked the lid hinge.

Rice sticks to the bowl now in spots and the cook is inconsistent. I need to replace so I'm trying to decide if I should get another ZJ or if I should consider pressure cooking as an option.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gameko posted:

Oh, the new cooker purchase isn't just for pressure cooking. My old ZJ was ruined when my inlaws used it for a week and scratched up the bowl with a metal spoon, further scratched it with a scour pad, and cracked the lid hinge.

Rice sticks to the bowl now in spots and the cook is inconsistent. I need to replace so I'm trying to decide if I should get another ZJ or if I should consider pressure cooking as an option.

Ouch. Have you looked into just replacing the bowl? That's what I did for my ZJ when a roommate scratched the bowl up to hell. Though if the lid hinge crack is bad this is a moot point.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Gameko posted:

when my inlaws used it for a week and scratched up the bowl with a metal spoon, further scratched it with a scour pad, and cracked the lid hinge.

Sever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gameko posted:

Make them pay for a new one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Make them pay for a new one.

You're not married, are you?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can see this go down:

Me: hey in-laws, you broke my rice maker. It's this model and I'd like it replaced. Or you could pay to have it shipped to a repair facility maybe?
In-laws: we'll replace it, no problem!
Week later
In-laws: here you go!
Me: this is the $20 Aroma from Costco.
In-laws: yeh, its way cheaper and makes great rice!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nope. But then when I have people over I make it clear that if they break my stuff I expect them to pay for it, I adopted this policy after someone set fire to my loving apartment because apparently when they are drunk their lighter, aerosol cans and my loving drapes make a great combo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But then when I have people over I make it clear that if they break my stuff I expect them to pay for it

Is this part of the greeting at the door, or something you mention when inviting them? Do you have signs?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Is this part of the greeting at the door, or something you mention when inviting them? Do you have signs?

It gets mentioned before they come over.

It's sort of necessary since I have had too much of my stuff broken and stolen by extended family, friends of friends and so on.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You're weird and I hope your friends get better friends.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Croatoan posted:

You're weird and I hope your friends get better friends.

I really hope he's talking about having mad drunken parties, and it's more of a "Hey everyone! Party at my place, invite your friends! But remember, if you break anything you pay for it!".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rgocs posted:

I really hope he's talking about having mad drunken parties, and it's more of a "Hey everyone! Party at my place, invite your friends! But remember, if you break anything you pay for it!".

Mostly people crashing at my place after a night out. That and certain extended family members that I did not have much choice but to let in. Try waking up to find your PC, work laptop, speakers, TV and various other valuables gone and have your other family tell you you should not be mad at the person who did it because "We're sure he had a good reason." and "You didn't really need those things did you?".

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I can't say as I have many issues with random strangers breaking my stuff, but the inlaws are pretty destructive. Feels like they're trying sometimes.

Anyway, rice is serious business in my house and while the non-cadillac mid tier rice cookers aren't impalatable, the ZJ is the only cooker I've had that competes with doing it by hand. Recent reviews claim the cuckoo is as good, BUT WAIT it also does pressure cooking.

I'm going to spend but I'd hate to end up disappointed in the final product, especially if its a feature I'll only use on occassion. I'd hang with my ZJ and wait for them to make a pressure cook model if the cook in my current one were more consistent. I think its issue now stems from the cracked hinge.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My mother in law routinely breaks a wine glass every Christmas. We know not to give her a nice glass and I just grab another $6 box from Marshalls/Ross. Plus she bought us a vitamix for Christmas years back so I feel she is entitled to a couple hundred in damages spread out over a few years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

El Jebus posted:

My mother in law routinely breaks a wine glass every Christmas. We know not to give her a nice glass and I just grab another $6 box from Marshalls/Ross. Plus she bought us a vitamix for Christmas years back so I feel she is entitled to a couple hundred in damages spread out over a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...i52L&ref=plSrch

Is acrylic demeaning?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 30, 2017

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Gameko posted:

Anyway, rice is serious business in my house

what type(s) of sushi / short grain rice do you typically use?

we use basmati, brown, various long grains etc depending on the recipe, but for short grain, and overall for our mainstay, we use a california koshihikari (tamaki gold); just curious to know whether there are some other options worth trying

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I've found a lot of it has to do with where you are. Some places in the USA your options will be limited, though I suppose the internet is a great equalizer come to think of it. I was pretty happy with my selection in Columbus OH but in Boston I've been shocked at how poor the asian food stores are in general.

Anyway, I've become convinced over the years that freshness is generally the most important thing when it comes to rice. Whichever type you're buying, try to find a store where they sell a lot of it. Whole Foods is usually a good but expensive supplier. Many asian and Indian consumers in my area shop at Costco so that's a reliable hook up for short grain and basamati rice.

For brands I like Kokuho Rose and Nishiki, and generally Kokuho is my go to as I find it easier to get and more consistent, though I think Nishiki is better when it's fresh and right.

Prepping short grain asian rice is important of course and you can read lots of articles about washing and soaking, but I think a triple wash with a gentle hand is quite sufficient for everyday cooking. Worry about soaks and things only if you're being really fussy...like actually making sushi.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Nishiki is probably the best sushi rice available in the US. Calrose is also good, but I find you need to wash it more.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Mostly people crashing at my place after a night out. That and certain extended family members that I did not have much choice but to let in. Try waking up to find your PC, work laptop, speakers, TV and various other valuables gone and have your other family tell you you should not be mad at the person who did it because "We're sure he had a good reason." and "You didn't really need those things did you?".

I'm sorry but how does anybody have a "good reason" for stealing thousands of dollars worth of valuable home electronics? You have some seriously horrible friends and family. :psyduck:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

I can tell you from personal experience, when someone gives you a sippy-cup it is demeaning :shobon:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking to buy something that makes slicing (not dicing, so not a food processor) vegetables and meats much faster. I recall from my first and only job in food service years ago working at Subway some huge stainless steel thing you'd feed things into and turn a crank to slice kind of like a hand-powered table-mounted circular saw for vegetables. I don't know what that kind of contraption is called, and searching on Amazon for variants of "food slicer," "vegetable slicer," "slicing machine," etc., either gets me little plastic mandolin slicers or electric variants of what I'm describing. I was hoping for something smaller than the one I remember, and manually powered rather than electric.

What is this thing called and how do I find one?

Here's a link to something that looks kind of similar, but is electric: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Commercial-Food/dp/B002SMC1ZU/

Once figuring out what to call the thing and how to find it, from then which specific model of such a thing should I buy?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think it's called a deli slicer? Or maybe a meat slicer?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

I'm looking to buy something that makes slicing (not dicing, so not a food processor) vegetables and meats much faster. I recall from my first and only job in food service years ago working at Subway some huge stainless steel thing you'd feed things into and turn a crank to slice kind of like a hand-powered table-mounted circular saw for vegetables. I don't know what that kind of contraption is called, and searching on Amazon for variants of "food slicer," "vegetable slicer," "slicing machine," etc., either gets me little plastic mandolin slicers or electric variants of what I'm describing. I was hoping for something smaller than the one I remember, and manually powered rather than electric.

Here's a link to something that looks kind of similar, but is electric: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Commercial-Food/dp/B002SMC1ZU/

Once figuring out what to call the thing and how to find it, from then which specific model of such a thing should I buy?

Electric Mandoline?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Addamere posted:

I googled "hand operated meat slicer" and the first link was to eBay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hand-crank-meat-slicer

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

EDIT: OLD SHRED O MAT

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looks like these guys sell fancy Italian ones. They're gorgeous and they look REALLY expensive: http://volanobiz.com/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Addamere posted:

Search for `Hobart slicer' on your local craigslist.

Edit: What the hell, you're asking for a non-electric one. Can I even read?

SubG fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 13, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have a grind o mat shred o mat, a presto salad shooter pro and a cusinart.

The grind o mat is really nice if you have lots to do. The cusinart is most flexible. The presto is good for things like making laundry soap, bulk shredding cheese or potato chips.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dear Donald Trump, please don't start a war in Asia until after my crowdfunded centrifuge ships

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
So now that I have a Zojirushi rice cooker and access to several high-quality asian grocery stores, what brand of rice should I purchase? I'm not planning on making sushi with it or anything, just mainly as a sidedish adjacent to curry/eggs/meat/fish/stir fry that's a step up from trader joe's basmati I've been cooking in a pot.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I buy this Nishiki rice. It seems good to me. A couple of friends that eat more rice than me use the same.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

snucks posted:

So now that I have a Zojirushi rice cooker and access to several high-quality asian grocery stores, what brand of rice should I purchase? I'm not planning on making sushi with it or anything, just mainly as a sidedish adjacent to curry/eggs/meat/fish/stir fry that's a step up from trader joe's basmati I've been cooking in a pot.

I really like Tamanishiki and Tamaki Gold, they aren't very expensive and are close enough to the quality rice I had in Japan

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Accidentally posted this in general questions:

I see that the 14 cup cuisinart is still the go-to food processor on the FAQ in op. It looks really good and sturdy but it's pretty sparse in different blades/graters compared to some others, including the 13 cup cuisinart which also has a dicer. My wife is leaning towards the 13 cup one with more accessories, while I'm leaning towards the 14 cup simpler one in the OP. The fact that the one with more accessories is cheaper raises concerns for me but I'm willing to be convinced. 

Has anyone used the newer type 13 cup cuisinart with dicing ect? Is it any good? Is it comparable to the old 14 cup?

Also if anyone has any experience with the Breville Sous Chef I'd also like to hear it. Looks good too but considerably more expensive.

Any thoughts?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

snucks posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Kokuho-Rice-Sushi/dp/B0058OKR4W/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1492363457&sr=1-1&keywords=kohuko+rose

This one turns out best in my ZJ I find, it's easy to find here as well. I haven't tried Nishiki yet, I've seen it around but it's always more expensive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gozinbulx posted:

Accidentally posted this in general questions:

I see that the 14 cup cuisinart is still the go-to food processor on the FAQ in op. It looks really good and sturdy but it's pretty sparse in different blades/graters compared to some others, including the 13 cup cuisinart which also has a dicer. My wife is leaning towards the 13 cup one with more accessories, while I'm leaning towards the 14 cup simpler one in the OP. The fact that the one with more accessories is cheaper raises concerns for me but I'm willing to be convinced. 

Has anyone used the newer type 13 cup cuisinart with dicing ect? Is it any good? Is it comparable to the old 14 cup?

Also if anyone has any experience with the Breville Sous Chef I'd also like to hear it. Looks good too but considerably more expensive.

Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5RloAqo5Qw

Cooks Illustrated reviewed the 14 cup Cuisinart Custom against the Cuisinart Elite 2.0 12 cup and the 11 cup Cuisinart Elemental and thought the 14 cup Custom's was the easiest to clean, had the least nooks and crannies for flour to get stuck in, and was the best designed in terms of geometry, blade clearance and fit and finish. On top of that the Custom had the strongest motor of the three, 740w. Cook's Illustrated noted that the other two struggled with bread doughs.

The 13 cup Cuisinart Elemental with dicing was not in their review, but it has a 550w motor, and a similar base design to the 11 cup Elemental so I'm sure it has similar issues with the workbowl.

According to Amazon, the 14 cup has 4.5 stars and the Elemental with dicing has 4 stars. I'm sure it's a fine processor but there are less complaints about the 14 cup, and some of the negative reviews of the Elemental noted it felt cheaper and that the dicing feature didn't work quite as nicely as they were hoping.

I also checked with The Sweet Home, and the 14 cup Cuisinart was their top processor as well.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-food-processor/

I got the old 12 cup Kitchenaid because it was the last one with a simple feed tube and without annoying safety features, but sometimes it gets food stuck between the lid and the bowl. If it ever breaks I'm going to get the 14 cup Cuisinart.

There's this one with an all-metal shell for $200
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/?tag=cioequippilot-20

But if you don't care about the fancy steel base you can get this plastic one for $160 which is otherwise the same
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14BCWNY-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01AXM4W3A/

SPECIAL NOTE: there was a huge recall on blades from Cuisinart because their old blade might crack and send out shards like ninja stars. If you're getting it from Amazon, it's probably the updated version of the 14 cup Custom with the redesigned blades but otherwise the same.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 16, 2017

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

SPECIAL NOTE: there was a huge recall on blades from Cuisinart because their old blade might crack and send out shards like ninja stars. If you're getting it from Amazon, it's probably the updated version of the 14 cup Custom with the redesigned blades but otherwise the same.
Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I got mine months ago, a week or two max after filling out the form. You might want to bother them again, I guess.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Niyqor posted:

I buy this Nishiki rice. It seems good to me. A couple of friends that eat more rice than me use the same.

Counterpoint we love https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRUO94K/ or one of the Korean-branded equivalent: http://nj.hmart.com/nutri-whole-grain-brown-rice-23464/ . They're partially-milled brown rice for a good balance of taste/texture I prefer to fully-polished rice for everything but sushi.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

I got a second email from them back in February saying that they're producing blades as fast as they can, be patient, etc etc. It also included a link to an "Exclusive Recipe Book (pdf)", which is filled with recipes using various Cuisinart appliances that I don't own. Some give instructions that are obviously for a specific type of appliance, but don't identify what I'm supposed to be using. I'm very underwhelmed. I don't have any cracks in my blade yet, so I still use it occasionally.