Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
SHAME, PREORDERING GOONS. SHAME!!!

(And not for the obvious reason of preordering this game.)

None of you have mentioned this from the "come pick up your Pyjak" email.

quote:

Don't worry, he's quite friendly, and his routine's very simple: no food after 2359, no baths or showers, and please limit his exposure to solar radiation.
Or are all you fuckers in your 20s? :corsair:

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Slavery is hands-down the best civic in Civ IV and you should be cracking the whip extensively or risk falling behind.

In Mass Effect though I just shoot slavers.

Slavery made Morrowind more interesting for me. 90% of my time playing Morrowind, I was going around freeing slaves and killing the slave owners. Completely ignoring the main quest.

But I was young and simple minded. Killing people is bad.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll keep the main character since this is New Mass Effect and none of the "important decisions" were actually very important ones, or things that can't be fobbed off with "lol decisions have consequences" emails since you probably won't return to any previous locations anyway apart from maybe Nexus.

People screaming about Ryder are probably just still angry that their erofics involving Shepard will never come to pass canonically and that the blue asari butt they see is the wrong blue asari butt or something.

Actually I think who you choose as ambassador will matter, insofar as it will determine which voiced NPC will be part of mission control or something in the next game. So basically it won't matter at all.

Mass Effect 5, if the series continues after this, will probably take place like 50-100 years further in the future. Colonies in Heleus established and the Nexus begins setting up a Mass Relay network to neighboring star clusters. That way, they can introduce some new aliens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryBooch posted:

Mass Effect 5, if the series continues after this, will probably take place like 50-100 years further in the future. Colonies in Heleus established and the Nexus begins setting up a Mass Relay network to neighboring star clusters. That way, they can introduce some new aliens.

Hell, you can isolate a ship in a new Cluster just by handwaving it as a one-way shot from the new Relay. Sure they'll send ships to build the second one, but in the meantime you're flying solo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I didn't get this email because I preordered on PSN and didn't get a pyjak code. Sad!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Hobo Clown posted:

Liam and Jaal get naked and have some kind of dick measuring contest but it doesn't seem to go anywhere

This is where I encountered my first graphical glitch of the game. It was already pretty awkward, and then you add to the mix a second, motionless, bifurcated by a table Jaal, directly between Ryder and the original, casually naked Jaal.

Ryder's face palm during the scene summed it up pretty well.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised that the main character is getting much negative attention. Ryder is one of the better parts of the game, I thought.

The preponderance of cryostasis as a plot point means a time skip would be exceedingly easy if they want to go that route, but even a 5 year period would change the setting enough, with the possibilities Meridian presents, to open up the setting but still keep a 'frontier' feel which is a big part of the appeal of the game.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DancingShade posted:

I always like it when someone discovers sociology and political science for the first time and has all these revelations. Manifest truth and all that.
What a strange assumption.

quote:

You should check back after all the Angaran plotlines and update this.
Will do.

DancingShade posted:

People screaming about Ryder are probably just still angry that their erofics involving Shepard will never come to pass canonically and that the blue asari butt they see is the wrong blue asari butt or something.
If asari butts are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shepard had to talk the Council round into understanding he didn't want anything to do with Cerberus, but the ship and resources were a necessary evil for the job at-hand to stop the Collector threat. Nevermind that he fully planned to be rid of Cerberus the first chance he got. Spectres also get an obscene amount of leeway in how they do their job, because they report directly to the Council and their entire mandate is cutting through red tape to deal with the situations others can't. Recruiting a hit squad of deranged psychopaths, mercenaries, wanted criminals, and a Geth to go do a job is a slow day for them.
Indeed. This is why Saren was able to become a major shareholder in a major galactic corporation, hire krogan mercenaries to do his dirty work, become a Space Satan worshiper, and ultimately murder a comrade before coming under scrutiny.

Tei posted:

I enjoyed your post. But I am going to defend my post one last time:
- The game present colonization, but I don't think have a opinion about it. Is like a game that present slavery, without denounce it. Sometimes this happen in strategy games, where committing genocide is just another button in the interface.
Well yeah, we can agree on that. At least that it doesn't take an explicit stance. I'm saying that it's not a low point in the series in that regard, as the original trilogy doesn't have a clear and explicit message either.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Give me my spider pyjack, electric pyjack, and tomato pyjack and we'll talk.

Tei posted:

Slavery made Morrowind more interesting for me. 90% of my time playing Morrowind, I was going around freeing slaves and killing the slave owners. Completely ignoring the main quest.
So much for the "tolerant" abolitionists!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Ryder is one of the better parts of the game, I thought.

She is. I think she just gets a lot of unfair backlash because she's not "pretty" in the eyes of some people, and because she's not Commander Shepard. It's a substantial change to go from Space Jesus Badass to a dorky scientist in way over her head.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I'm surprised that the main character is getting much negative attention. Ryder is one of the better parts of the game, I thought.

The preponderance of cryostasis as a plot point means a time skip would be exceedingly easy if they want to go that route, but even a 5 year period would change the setting enough, with the possibilities Meridian presents, to open up the setting but still keep a 'frontier' feel which is a big part of the appeal of tha game/

Yeah, I went in not expecting much out of Ryder and have been really happy with the character and the options you have to define them. Ryder is clearly out of his/her depth and has to earn respect, which makes a lot of game plot mechanics more bearable. Some of the worst parts of the original trilogy was having anyone question Shepard and why she/he was doing anything...like after ME1 everyone should just assume Shepard is right and they should listen. Ryder is also clearly innately talented and it'd be great to follow them as they become a figure as important as Shepard as they progress in life.

A 3-5 year time skip makes the most sense if we're going to follow any of the same characters/plot points in the sequel.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The preponderance of cryostasis as a plot point means a time skip would be exceedingly easy if they want to go that route,

At some point in the game, somebody decide to release cats from cryostatis, and is criticized for it.

"Why cats?, cats are useless". (ignoring that this is false, cats where useful in egypt, killing pest and protecting grain and humans from these pests).

Our character argue that cats are fun, thats reason enough, we need fun like we need (maybe) food or doctors.

Is weird and lame that the game have this element, but don't really use it except for economic. We get to decide if we unfroze scientist or military people. But all we get from these decisions is a pittance of resources every few hours in real time.

In a real game, selecting more military personal would change your settlements to have more weapons, tanks and a military look, while selecting scientist would make your bases looks more like a university campus with alien gadgets.

This game try to be Babylon 5, but end being LOST. All teasing, no consequences.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Prodromos not really reflecting your initial choice was a major disappointment for me and a mark against the game thus far. NPCs down the line react to that choice but it feels abstract and not very material. The base looks the same either way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halloween Jack posted:

Give me my spider pyjack, electric pyjack, and tomato pyjack and we'll talk.

:frogout:

Halloween Jack posted:

Indeed. This is why Saren was able to become a major shareholder in a major galactic corporation, hire krogan mercenaries to do his dirty work, become a Space Satan worshiper, and ultimately murder a comrade before coming under scrutiny.

Spectres get chosen rather than trained into the profession because they're all that one crazy motherfucker cop/soldier who knows exactly how poo poo should get handled on their own terms and only needs the authority to actually go do it.

Tei posted:

At some point in the game, somebody decide to release cats from cryostasis, and is criticized for it.

"Why cats?, cats are useless". (ignoring that this is false, cats where useful in egypt, killing pest and protecting grain and humans from these pests).

Our character argue that cats are fun, thats reason enough, we need fun like we need (maybe) food or doctors.

Cats are an unnecessary invasive species to a new galaxy, and I'm pretty sure they've got much better ways of protecting crops from pests in the year 2816.

Tei posted:

In a real game, selecting more military personal would change your settlements to have more weapons, tanks and a military look, while selecting scientist would make your bases looks more like a university campus with alien gadgets.

This game try to be Babylon 5, but end being LOST. All teasing, no consequences.

This isn't an RTS. There are a finite number of people in stasis, all you're choosing is who comes out first as space is made available. Also the only thing Andromeda wants to be is Mass Effect 1 version 2.0.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That's pretty good. I loled at Ryder doing the Han Solo "just had a slight weapon's malfunction. We're fine now, everything's fine. How are you?" thing with Liam snickering in the background.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Yeah, Prodromos not really reflecting your initial choice was a major disappointment for me and a mark against the game thus far. NPCs down the line react to that choice but it feels abstract and not very material. The base looks the same either way.

Does science Prodromos still have laser turrets everywhere?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the only thing Andromeda wants to be is Mass Effect 1 version 2.0.

I'm okay with this. Andromeda's been feeling to me like a sincere, earnest space opera trying to evoke Star Trek's optimistic feel of exploring space, and I enjoy it for that. Enough to overlook the shortcomings in its writing. Andromeda is trying to be something different from the previous Mass Effect trilogy, and that's okay.

As for the population, cloning's a thing. You can point out to Gil that there's really no need to reproduce the old-fashioned way.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't preorder so I don't have the pyjak, but that's OK because pyjaks are vermin and krogans slaughter thousands of them with grenade launchers and bazookas

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cats are an unnecessary invasive species to a new galaxy, and I'm pretty sure they've got much better ways of protecting crops from pests in the year 2816.
Cats prevent mutinies with their calming cuteness. They should have been brought out of stasis sooner.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Does science Prodromos still have laser turrets everywhere?
It has a few at least. There's two near the landing zone.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And I agree with you. But I want the player characters to find it the bad way. Choices => Consequences.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Strategic Tea posted:

'I wish this game was more about white self loathing :('

If anything sometimes it feels like the opposite of white guilt. There's this weird creepy insistence that "god drat it if this game involves a situation that even superficially resembles historical colonialism then natives MUST be getting oppressed and brutalized, that way it's clear to all that it was historically inevitable and I can feel less bad".

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kylra posted:

Cats prevent mutinies with their calming cuteness.

I take it you've never played Dwarf Fortress? Like 80% of my tantrum spirals are cat-death related.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I take it you've never played Dwarf Fortress? Like 80% of my tantrum spirals are cat-death related.
The Volus haven't made it yet have they.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Andromeda was written by a team where 1 person was aware of colonialism and everybody else wanted to tell another chosen one story, and that 1 person's work occasionally shines through explicitly. But most of it is just connecting the dots yourself and making the connections the writers and designers were oblivious to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not every story about exploring the unknown and settling space has to be about historical colonialism. Andromeda's too optimistic for that. This game's story runs on Star Trek rules.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Anyone have any tips on how to best use the favorites profile system? I kinda wish I just had access to more than 3 skills at a time, but I can see some kind of synergy with swapping profiles that use powercells (since they don't have a cooldown).

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

Not every story about exploring the unknown and settling space has to be about historical colonialism. Andromeda's too optimistic for that. This game's story runs on Star Trek rules.

I tend to agree with this. We're kind of ascribing historical events where they really don't apply.

Serf
May 5, 2011

On the whole Mass Effect is way too optimistic what with spacefaring humans and the Council and such. But not everyone got the memo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

FrozenMeats
Apr 28, 2003

Preserved for the ages.
So Liam died at an odd angle on a rock, and I was unable to pick him up. Eventually I just left him where he was and went off to murder more Kett. After, every time I fast-travelled his body would appear next to me (in midair, before partially embedding itself in the ground again), still impossible to interact with. In an effort to correct the bug, I returned to the Tempest; Liam's body then appeared floating in the bridge, occasionally twitching. I'm sorry I left you to die alone on an alien world in another galaxy, please don't curse me Ghost Liam.

Reloading a save fixed the issue, but it's been a while since I've see such a major bug that wasn't falling through the world or event triggers misfiring. Trying to switch team members (continuing to leave Liam to his fate) caused double loading screens, after which the haunting would continue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Watching a colonist act like a colonist, and calling it colonialism, is not "making the story about colonialism" or "ascribing historical events that don't exist." It's knowing what things are and being able to identify them.

Like, if Ryder drinks a cup of coffee, and I call her a coffee drinker, I'm not declaring that ME:A is about coffee or that Ryder is a deliberate parallel to, Idunno, Benjamin Sisko or Agent Dale Cooper.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FrozenMeats posted:

So Liam died at an odd angle on a rock, and I was unable to pick him up. Eventually I just left him where he was and went off to murder more Kett. After, every time I fast-travelled his body would appear next to me (in midair, before partially embedding itself in the ground again), still impossible to interact with. In an effort to correct the bug, I returned to the Tempest; Liam's body then appeared floating in the bridge, occasionally twitching. I'm sorry I left you to die alone on an alien world in another galaxy, please don't curse me Ghost Liam.

Reloading a save fixed the issue, but it's been a while since I've see such a major bug that wasn't falling through the world or event triggers misfiring. Trying to switch team members (continuing to leave Liam to his fate) caused double loading screens, after which the haunting would continue.

Generally speaking, I've never encountered a bug in this game where "plow ahead and hope it works itself out" will actually work. Just reload a save before it happened and it's nbd.

That said your haunting is hilarious and I'm glad it happened for our amusement.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

Watching a colonist act like a colonist, and calling it colonialism, is not "making the story about colonialism" or "ascribing historical events that don't exist." It's knowing what things are and being able to identify them.

Like, if Ryder drinks a cup of coffee, and I call her a coffee drinker, I'm not declaring that ME:A is about coffee or that Ryder is a deliberate parallel to, Idunno, Benjamin Sisko or Agent Dale Cooper.

I guess in my mind I'm just not overly concerned with the Milky Way races colonizing the Heleus cluster because people are inserting their own bias and guilt and feeling sorry for aliens or whoever who don't express any kind of shits about it to begin with. Barring the fact that those species (Ara) seem to have no qualms about using the Adromeda Initiative as muscle against the Kett and obliging them when it's convenient.

Seriously, Eos, et al are abandoned shitholes that you literally fix and put people on after you fix it. You took the time and effort and had the resources to do what the locals couldn't so who cares? :iiam:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Star Trek had political analogues in its episodes from the very beginning. The prevailing message was optimistic, but that didn't prevent them from taking on issues of social equality, race, and nuclear warfare.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

I guess in my mind I'm just not overly concerned with the Milky Way races colonizing the Heleus cluster because people are inserting their own bias and guilt and feeling sorry for aliens or whoever who don't express any kind of shits about it to begin with. Barring the fact that those species (Ara) seem to have no qualms about using the Adromeda Initiative as muscle against the Kett and obliging them when it's convenient.

Seriously, Eos, et all are abandoned shitholes that you literally fix and put people on after you fix it. You took the time and effort and had the resources to do what the locals couldn't so who cares? :iiam:

It's also fundamentally ludicrous to compare 100k colonists setting up camp in an entire loving cluster comprised of a hundred systems to historical colonialism.

There is no British Empire backing up the Nexus or what have you. It's just them.

Also I think several people in this thread think colonialism and the act of settling new territories are the same thing as opposed to the former referring to a very specific geopolitical phenomenon involving subject countries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kimsemus posted:

Seriously, Eos, et al are abandoned shitholes that you literally fix and put people on after you fix it. You took the time and effort and had the resources to do what the locals couldn't so who cares? :iiam:

They actually make a specific point of not settling an Outpost on the Angara homeworld beyond a small scientific presence because it's their loving homeworld. Even the Voeld outpost is specifically mentioned to be with the Angara's permission because the Outpost is sending ice and supplies to Resistance efforts as well as the Nexus and other Outposts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

Eos is a good starting choice because it seems like there's no problem with settling it. Though I'd say the native life (animals and Remnant) were trucking along just fine before you get there, but the game presents no evidence that altering the atmosphere specifically hurts them, so it's cool. Voeld is the planet where things would get interesting, as it is already populated by the angara.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Star Trek had political analogues in its episodes from the very beginning. The prevailing message was optimistic, but that didn't prevent them from taking on issues of social equality, race, and nuclear warfare.

Klingon are not scared of anything, except cute tribbles.
Because tribbles never stop to make babies and eat. They decimated countless klingon planets before they where exterminated.

I have watched the original Star Trek episode, and tribbles never stop being cute, even when you learn that billion klingons died of starvation, they don't stop being cute. / optimist. Is kind of weird when you can be cute and optimist and talk about entire planets of people dying of famine.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Well, I mean, literally every story from Earth about exploring the unknown has been about or at least involved that, but if you want to pretend otherwise it's no skin off my nose.

Like, I think it says a lot about humanity that we couldn't even discover the loving North Pole without inflicting unspeakable cruelty on that area's native inhabitants, and that that's an inherently more interesting story then "Exploring is fun :downs:," but to each his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

I guess in my mind I'm just not overly concerned with the Milky Way races colonizing the Heleus cluster because people are inserting their own bias and guilt and feeling sorry for aliens or whoever who don't express any kind of shits about it to begin with.
No one is inserting guilt except for you and Strategic Tea, who are really freaked the gently caress out by the ability to compare things to other things. Calm down, buddy.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also I think several people in this thread think colonialism and the act of settling new territories are the same thing as opposed to the former referring to a very specific geopolitical phenomenon involving subject countries.
Colonialism doesn't refer to settling uninhabited territory, but colonization can, hence the confusion.

I also don't understand the objection to comparing two things that are similar, but not precisely the same thing. That is the point of comparison.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 29, 2017