Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Elite posted:

-in the anime version of Samurai Jack-

:hist101: : Oh, you look like a 12 year old girl but you're actually a 1000 year old space dragon. Niiice. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Anyone who thinks that Ashi will become a love interest is idiotic.

Quoting for reference just in case. :v:

(Really, though, I wouldn't want romance between them, but I could see a mutual respect developing by the time of the finale).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Megaspel posted:

Yeah I think the main thing about Ashi is that she's going to pose a moral quandary to Jack that he has not yet passed. She is a victim of Aku just as much as anyone else, and pitting her against Jack is an extension of that.

I don't care about Ashi, I care about Jack.

The only character I have enough emotional investment to accept being of such importance is the Scotsman. Scotsman/Jack forever.

Regalingualius posted:

(Really, though, I wouldn't want romance between them, but I could see a mutual respect developing by the time of the finale).

Respect is one thing but this is like wanting Joel to hook up with Ellie. (Or, uh, if you really want to follow the Mad Max vibe Furiosa).

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

mycot posted:

The only character I have enough emotional investment to accept being of such importance is the Scotsman. Scotsman/Jack forever.

The Scotsman is a happily married man you homewrecker

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Glagha posted:

The Scotsman is a happily married man you homewrecker

Once you had Jack, you never go back!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Genndy Tartakovsky Extended Universe?

Everyone's seen the "first episode of Samurai Jack has Townsville-esque backgrounds" poo poo but a villain from a Monkey short on Dexter's Lab later reappeared in the Mad Jack episode.

Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab take place in the timeline where Aku was killed. :tinfoil:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

mycot posted:

Here's the plot to every episode of the sadly neglected Scotsman/Jack sitcom.

"Oh it seems we're out of eggs. I'll head to the store to get some."
-- "Nah laddy. I'll get the eggs, least I can do"
*cue spending 6 hours competing in various feats of strength/speed/agility to see who gets the honour of procuring the eggs*

"Oh it seems we're also out of milk..."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine...so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Except he's not...at all?
He did live with his parents until some indescribed age (around 10? Ill say around 10) and by all means they were loving and caring parents.
Then he was sent all around the world to all sorts of people who were all too happy to have him, teach him and train him.

Yeah the end result is that theyre both trained to fight and kill, but the path towards that is literally a night and day difference. Its like saying a regular soldier from a first world country is like a child soldier from a wartorn hellhole.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except he's not...at all?
He did live with his parents until some indescribed age (around 10? Ill say around 10) and by all means they were loving and caring parents.
Then he was sent all around the world to all sorts of people who were all too happy to have him, teach him and train him.

Yeah the end result is that theyre both trained to fight and kill, but the path towards that is literally a night and day difference. Its like saying a regular soldier from a first world country is like a child soldier from a wartorn hellhole.

I'm not sure he's a broken war machine either; but I'll play Devil's Advocate for this one. Jack may've had a good home....20ish years growing up, but at this point, that's dwarfed by the 50+ years he's spent hunting down Aku; and we've seen how bad his mental state has been in the first two episodes. Point is, the guy'd be AWFUL SICK of anything that "even smelled like Aku", even if we were entertaining the possibility of a Jack X Ashi romance.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm picturing more of a father/mentor relationship myself.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
One wants to kill Aku... The other loves Aku!

Sure, they're stuck together, but that doesn't mean they like each other.

Sure, they're a couple... A Couple Of Goofballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrfHj3j398

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And then Ashi cuts off one of Jack's arms.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nerdbot posted:

Everyone's seen the "first episode of Samurai Jack has Townsville-esque backgrounds" poo poo but a villain from a Monkey short on Dexter's Lab later reappeared in the Mad Jack episode.

Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab take place in the timeline where Aku was killed. :tinfoil:

There were at least a few aliens from Samurai Jack that Genndy also put into his Clone Wars episodes, too.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
And the talking dog archaeologists in the first few episodes are pretty clearly excavating ancient Townsville.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

nerdbot posted:

Chemical X is Aku's blood :v:.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine... so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Jack is not broke brains, or at least, he wasn't before the newest season. The only real thing you could say was a negative to Jack's personality was his naivety. Jack had a childhood. He had good memories. He knows how to tell children's stories for instance. He looks after babies. He is merciful and compassionate. He's a good guy. A good guy who has been put into an extremely demanding position for the last fifty years, and we as an audience can see that it's having an effect. Jack was not broken to begin with.

He cares more about duty, honour and integrity than having a love life jesus christ. He's a foolish samurai warrior who used to wield a magic sword and stepped forth to oppose Aku, not a SAM-MOO-RAI looking for the chef's special.

Regalingualius posted:

Same. Mutual respect, cool. Romance? Hell no. Unless it's epilogue stuff, and even that's borderline fanfiction material.

People don't watch Samurai Jack for romance, they watch it to see Jack slash and hack and jump good. It's like watching Dragonball Z for peaceful solutions to problems.

I am predicting that the Scotsman might have a good influence on Ashi if they end up meeting one another. Slapping her on the back, giving her some basic knowledge and sense of what normal is. If Ashi needs to get her poo poo together, the Scotsman might be able to accommodate while Jack does some other junk. Like find the sword again!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mr.Tophat posted:

Same. Mutual respect, cool. Romance? Hell no.
Yeah, this.

It's already a little weird with the decision to dress the daughters in sexy skin tight uniforms, when previous foils to Jack didn't have to be sexy all the time:

Even when they wore skin tight clothing:

Could have even put them in cult robes like their mother.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

GREEAAAAT FLAAAMING EYEBRUAAAWS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm convinced that Aku doesn't even know that the cult exists, let alone the girls.

"WHY WOULD THE SHOGUN OF SORROW, THE ENDURING EMPEROR OF EVIL, AND CALIPH OF CATASTROPHE, AKU, PROCREATE WITH A SIMPLE MORTAL WOMAN TO PRODUCE HUNTERS TO KILL THE SAMURAI WHEN THE KHAN OF CHAOS, DOGE OF DESTRUCTION, AND PRIME MINISTER OF SHADOWS, AKU, CAN DO THAT HIMSELF?"

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm convinced that Aku doesn't even know that the cult exists, let alone the girls.

"WHY WOULD THE SHOGUN OF SORROW, THE ENDURING EMPEROR OF EVIL, AND CALIPH OF CATASTROPHE, AKU, PROCREATE WITH A SIMPLE MORTAL WOMAN TO PRODUCE HUNTERS TO KILL THE SAMURAI WHEN THE KHAN OF CHAOS, DOGE OF DESTRUCTION, AND PRIME MINISTER OF SHADOWS, AKU, CAN DO THAT HIMSELF?"

He doesn't know that the cult exists, period. In the therapy scene, it's pretty evident that he's at the end of his rope in terms of solutions.

That being said, it's funny to see the villain get tired of being the villain. I can't remember the last thing I've seen in which that happened, if at all. Aku is acting out of obligation at this point - he has to be the ruler of darkness because he doesn't have anything else to do. Even if someone managed to kill Jack, he'd be bored out of his mind.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

GREEAAAAT FLAAAMING EYEBRUAAAWS

I am so glad that YTMND is somehow still up after all these years

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Tophat posted:

People don't watch Samurai Jack for romance, they watch it to see Jack slash and hack and jump good. It's like watching Dragonball Z for peaceful solutions to problems.

Um, excuse me sir, but I watch Dragon Ball anything for punchmans and dumb goofy humor like watching Goku learn to drive, thank you.

But as far as any fighting over potential relationships, first, its too soon to know how exactly it'll go. As long as it doesn't detract from the progress or pacing of the show, I don't really care what happens.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

He doesn't know that the cult exists, period. In the therapy scene, it's pretty evident that he's at the end of his rope in terms of solutions.

That being said, it's funny to see the villain get tired of being the villain. I can't remember the last thing I've seen in which that happened, if at all. Aku is acting out of obligation at this point - he has to be the ruler of darkness because he doesn't have anything else to do. Even if someone managed to kill Jack, he'd be bored out of his mind.

Just imagine all the years of planning, of preparing for the Samurai, conquering and manipulating thousands of species from countless worlds: all in preparation to use against THE FOOLISH SAMURAI. Only to learn that after all of them fail, time and again, that the one hope you'd have, that he is just a mortal man, was undone by his own tactic to fling him into the future and prepare for his return. Aku has created his own unending nightmare from which the only escape is his own death.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

So Math posted:

Yeah, this.

It's already a little weird with the decision to dress the daughters in sexy skin tight uniforms, when previous foils to Jack didn't have to be sexy all the time:

Eh, I like them. The robes get a little clumsy (Jack ends up bare half the time even in the old series) and from a design perspective, their suits communicate speed, stealth, precision, flexibility, intelligence and most importantly, danger. The minimalistic style of SJ gives presidency to form and the primary shape of the robe is a rectangle, which implies stability, control, wisdom and authority. The girls are better represented by triangles it communicates all the crap I was talking about for them earlier. They're almost totally comprised of triangles! There's no shape that expresses speed as well as a triangle and it's their speed that really features in the threat they pose. I also like the imagery of them being all points like the weapons they are(were).

I'd feel weird if it was contextually sexualizing them, which it's not at all this far. They're not taking any gross T&A shots either, thank god.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ashi is cool and good and I'm fine with any role from recurring nemesis to sidekick redeeming herself to love interest. I just hope she sticks around for the rest of the season and doesn't end up dropping dead after two episodes or something. I mean, that's probably not the case given how much this season has invested in her back story, but this show also really likes to screw with your expectations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mr.Tophat posted:

I am predicting that the Scotsman might have a good influence on Ashi if they end up meeting one another. Slapping her on the back, giving her some basic knowledge and sense of what normal is. If Ashi needs to get her poo poo together, the Scotsman might be able to accommodate while Jack does some other junk. Like find the sword again!

I would love it if the thing to finally snap Ashi out of her Aku worship was the Scotsman insulting her for 20 minutes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

So Math posted:

Yeah, this.

Counterpoint: Jack never passes up an opportunity to tear his clothes off and just run around in underwear.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhonne posted:

I would love it if the thing to finally snap Ashi out of her Aku worship was the Scotsman insulting her for 20 minutes.

ACH LASS YE CALL THAT EVIL, IN MY DAY YE'D BE A WEE SPECK COMPARED TAE AKU'S BOYS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slime posted:

Counterpoint: Jack never passes up an opportunity to tear his clothes off and just run around in underwear.

Hey, those archers were blind, so he ain't need no modesty.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I think the skin-suits were sexualized in the way that Paul Dini's characters were sexualized -- they're not that objectionable until you start thinking about why the animator chose to portray them this way and realize that's his ideal / fetish / only female body type he can draw. If I were an apologist, I'd probably point out that Samurai Jack's visuals is so stylized that it shouldn't matter. But the show is practically devoid of female characters (did Jack's mother even have a line in the flashback?) and that it's unacceptable not to call out the failures of the auteur.

If you read these first episodes as being about a virile, perpetually young man conquering agency-less femininity with his wilderness ruggedness and individualism, you wouldn't be wrong. And what's the weapon he uses to do this? He wears no clothes and throws spears to make unloved women bleed. That's weird.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think the skin-suits were sexualized in the way that Paul Dini's characters were sexualized -- they're not that objectionable until you start thinking about why the animator chose to portray them this way and realize that's his ideal / fetish / only female body type he can draw. If I were an apologist, I'd probably point out that Samurai Jack's visuals is so stylized that it shouldn't matter. But the show is practically devoid of female characters (did Jack's mother even have a line in the flashback?) and that it's unacceptable not to call out the failures of the auteur.

If you read these first episodes as being about a virile, perpetually young man conquering agency-less femininity with his wilderness ruggedness and individualism, you wouldn't be wrong. And what's the weapon he uses to do this? He wears no clothes and throws spears to make unloved women bleed. That's weird.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Seriously though there were a handful of memorable female character that had very unique visual representation in the original series. Ikra, the Bounty Hunter and Butterfly Princesses, Scottsman's Wife, and Josephine all come to mind

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Slime posted:

Oh yeah, everyone should have realized the daughters were doomed when he lost his hat/helmet and his clothes.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Seriously though there were a handful of memorable female character that had very unique visual representation in the original series. Ikra, the Bounty Hunter and Butterfly Princesses, Scottsman's Wife, and Josephine all come to mind

Also there is actually justification for the daughters looking all the same, they are literally whatever-tuplets.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Welp, thread.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think Samurai Jack, in general, is a male power fantasy. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the bad thing is the larger problem of over-saturation of male power fantasies with a lack of alternatives for other audiences. Not to say that Samurai Jack itself is the perfect piece of media, but I don't think it's guilty of anything too egregious, but then again I'm a dude and I love the power fantasy it's created for me, so maybe I'm blind to that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Megaspel posted:

I think Samurai Jack, in general, is a male power fantasy. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the bad thing is the larger problem of over-saturation of male power fantasies with a lack of alternatives for other audiences. Not to say that Samurai Jack itself is the perfect piece of media, but I don't think it's guilty of anything too egregious, but then again I'm a dude and I love the power fantasy it's created for me, so maybe I'm blind to that.

Not sure I'd call it a Male Power Fantasy because does Jack ever do anything that a female character couldn't do? I agree it'd be great if media had better representation of empowered female leads, but I don't think Samurai Jack is a problem, it's just the aggregate of media, and most other stories of this type would have included plenty of "Jack Getting the Woman", which this show doesn't.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure I'd call it a Male Power Fantasy because does Jack ever do anything that a female character couldn't do? I agree it'd be great if media had better representation of empowered female leads, but I don't think Samurai Jack is a problem, it's just the aggregate of media, and most other stories of this type would have included plenty of "Jack Getting the Woman", which this show doesn't.

Jack never saw his childhood crush ever again. :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jack is a pretty sexless dude other than being an athletic man. Original Jack's more like the early Roman sculptures in that he's not meant to represent a human being so much as the idealization of human qualities. Current Jack is a broken psyche riddled with guilt, which can relate to anyone regardless of your gender. I'm a lady and I'm terribly, regrettably aware when a piece of media is objectifying/pandering to my sex, and Jack is so sexless it doesn't hit either tone for me.

And one of the only people he had the hots for was goddamn Aku.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

I legitimately can't tell how many "layers of irony" you're operating on here. But now I'm worried that "going back to the past" has become a metaphor for "making America great again." (wretch) and I think I have to root for the future that is Aku.

• Locked thread