Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-ZrQPfY5o

I just can't find this enjoyable. Loving the Behold... The Arctopus intro.

Boredom intensifies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Juaguocio posted:

After a lot of dithering, I ended up getting an Idiotbox Blower Box:

This thing is gnarly. It can go from a fairly clean boost to a roaring distortion. There's no low end loss at all with the bass boost dialed in, and the treble boost gives a ton of cutting high end. With a bit of tweaking, I was able to get a great tone that hovers right at the edge of breaking up with a lighter pick attack, but really slams when I dig in.
That lead me to this: http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/product/super-bass-o-matic-76 I hate envelope filters but I read the whole description in Dan Akroyd's voice, it was wonderful.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Anyone who wants more range than the usual passive tone controls but hates the prospect of their active tone battery dying during a show might be interested in a StellarTone Styler. I just made this here thingy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2em8INa0jo

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
What limits do players impose on themselves when it comes to purchasing new instruments? I've been on a Squier Jazz V for the past 6 months and am already looking into buying either a warwick or spector, but obviously I'm hesitating because I don't want to be impetuous. When do you guys decide you're ready for a new bass/guitar?

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

unpleasantly turgid posted:

What limits do players impose on themselves when it comes to purchasing new instruments? I've been on a Squier Jazz V for the past 6 months and am already looking into buying either a warwick or spector, but obviously I'm hesitating because I don't want to be impetuous. When do you guys decide you're ready for a new bass/guitar?

Completely fill up the house/apartment with string instruments and never play them.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

There is never not an appropriate time to buy new instruments or gear.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Do I currently own this instrument?
Do I own it in this color?
Do I own less than four of them?
Buy it anyway. You can always play the used market if you feel you need space or equity. Especially if you want a five string Warwick and are in Southern California.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

serious answer:
If i think it's cool, if I think it would add something to my playing, if I can afford it, and if i've tried it and I like it, then I'll get it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

There are supposed to be limits?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

GAS is real and it never goes away.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

scuz posted:

That lead me to this: http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/product/super-bass-o-matic-76 I hate envelope filters but I read the whole description in Dan Akroyd's voice, it was wonderful.

I gigged with the Blower Box for the first time last night. It sounded great onstage, and I got several compliments from audience members about my tone. It's definitely a good option for anyone looking for a heavy distortion that will cut through in a mix.

GAS never leaves, even when you think you're finally done. I've been sorely tempted by the Genzler Magellan 800 lately, but I can't really justify picking one up unless I unload one of my Genz Benz amps. The 2.6 ohm capability of the Genzler would be so nice to have, though...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

This is a good question. See, I currently own 9 basses. They are...

1. A Parts-O-Cission Bass, which is a ship-of-Theseus rebuild of an old MIK Squier Bullet Bass (full size). This was my first bass ever.
2. Fender Precision Bass Special (Made in USA)
3. Fender Jazz Bass, 5-string (Made in Mexico) (I obtained this by trading in a MIM Precision bass and a MIJ MB-5 bass, both Fenders)
4. Ibanez acoustic bass guitar
5. Ibanez SR505FL 5-string Fretless Soundgear from 20 years ago
6. Ibanez 6-string bass
7. Squier VM series Bass VI
8. Squier VM Precision Bass, fretless
9. Rogue 8-string bass

See a pattern there? Well... before I rebuilt my first bass, I had one of each of these kinds of basses: 4-string, 5-string, 6-string, 4-string fretless, 5-string fretless, 8-string, acoustic, and weirdo (the Bass VI). Essentially, I got a new bass every time I found one at the right price that represented a common type of bass that I didn't already have. So, the way I see it, there was nothing to fret about for each purchase (no pun intended). Why did I get the Ibanez 6-string? Because I didn't have a 6-string. Well, not that type of 6-string. Duh.

I have to say, though, that I'm getting the itch now. I wonder what it'd be like to have a 4-string Jazz Bass. I'm usually a P-bass guy, but sometimes I like the cleaner and more versatile tone of a J-bass, and sometimes I don't want to fumble around the B string to get it. So I started buying effects instead. But still... if I saw a good deal on a used Mexican J-bass, I might pick it up, even though my wife might kill me for it. She let me get that 6-string Ibanez because it was $150 brand new, but she said I'll be in trouble if I get another one.

I'm sure she meant to add "without a really good reason" and "or unless it's a really good deal," though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

I sort of backed myself into a corner on this one, where I only* play basses that cost too much and take too long to make for me to be impulsive about it. I think if there's functionality you're missing - string configuration, pickup configuration, want something to throw flats on, etc - and you have a concrete need you can articulate then go for it. Right now I have:
  • Stambaugh ash/maple 5 with Big Singles
  • Stambaugh wenge / mahogany 5 with J+MM
  • Stambaugh fretless 5
  • Precision PJ w/ flats (*)
The plans include another ash/maple 5 but PJ to have that pickup and string config, a super modern six-string singlecut so I can get the tonality of the high-C string** and expand my range for solo stuff, an upright, and maybe one of those Taylor GS Mini basses for when I fly out to visit my brother or go camping.

If you feel like you're limited by the instrument you currently have you should evaluate it in a couple of different ways:
  • Are you limited by setup? Is it hard to play? Does it go out of tune too easily? If yes, then maybe a trip to a tech and some targeted hardware upgrades would fix what you need.
  • Does it sound dull and lifeless? Clunky and harsh? Try a new brand of string or a new kind of string. Squiers especially have just about the cheapest possible thing that can be considered a pickup - maybe a high-end pickup replacement would get you where you want to be.
  • Is there an ergonomics issue? Neck dive? Too wide? Not much you can do here but get another instrument, but I'd try to isolate exactly what you think you'd like better than what you have (thinner neck, narrower nut, tighter spacing) and play through everything you can at a Guitar Center or whatever to work through it scientifically.
  • Do you think another bass is cool? Would it make you feel like a badass? Make you practice all day and night? Are you into a particular bassist, era, or style you want to dive further into with a particular instrument? Be honest with yourself, but I certainly don't discount the effect it has.
Lastly, can you afford it? Easily? Like, cash? Don't go into debt, finance or put a new bass on a credit card when you already have one that works.

** I don't feel like I'm really a six-string player, but goddamn does the range of an electric bass with a high-C string just activate something in my brain. I think it's because the range is so close to what the human voice is that having that extra up top is so pleasing.

I guess my point is to be rational and scientific about it, but not to the point where you don't allow yourself to have fun.

(As for guitar I've had a really basic Taylor acoustic and Ibanez RGA121 shred-machine forever. Then when Prince died (RIP) I decided I had to get a tele, so I got an Ibanez Talman.)

tarlibone posted:

my wife might kill me for it

Make dedicated savings accounts for you and your wife, set up equal automatic transfers as appropriate for your budget, and make an agreement that all spending out of those accounts is 100% judgement-free, no approval or check-in needed. I'm certain I would have gotten my rear end divorced by now without this setup.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So my amp head did a weird thing at my last show. About halfway through the set it starts making these intermittent popping sounds, which seemed to be associated with vibrations of the amp head, itself. At some point I pressed down on the amp, around the input, and got a bunch of noise and what sounded like a feedback loop. I was lucky my speakers didn't blow.

Took it home, expecting to have to replace a tube, but there was no visible damage. Tested it out, and it worked fine.

Environmental factors might have come into play. It was a small, confined room that was pumped full of fog, so the thing could have gotten too hot for the fan to cool down? Not sure.

What it does mean is that I should start shopping for a new head that would go well with my new favorite, big, beefy G&L MFD tone. :homebrew: Silver linings...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So my amp head did a weird thing at my last show. About halfway through the set it starts making these intermittent popping sounds, which seemed to be associated with vibrations of the amp head, itself. At some point I pressed down on the amp, around the input, and got a bunch of noise and what sounded like a feedback loop. I was lucky my speakers didn't blow.

Took it home, expecting to have to replace a tube, but there was no visible damage. Tested it out, and it worked fine.

Environmental factors might have come into play. It was a small, confined room that was pumped full of fog, so the thing could have gotten too hot for the fan to cool down? Not sure.

What it does mean is that I should start shopping for a new head that would go well with my new favorite, big, beefy G&L MFD tone. :homebrew: Silver linings...

If you're so inclined you could get the DMM out and test some key components?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
After more than a decade of the "my signal chain consists of the cable between bass and amp" mentality, I put together babby's first pedalboard!

It's still very straightforward - DIY orange squeezer clone set for pretty aggressive squish, for big sustain and to mask my developing/inconsistent slap technique (the bassist I replaced put some prominent slap parts in the album that just got released, so I need to somewhat follow those parts). It also adds some nice subtle color to the tone. The Fuzz is basically being used as a mild gritty boost. I run mostly clean - I don't think I have a pedal turned on more than 15% of the time.

This setup is nice because it fits in my gig bag. Next time I add something, I don't know if it will work out quite as well.

Next planned addition is a MXR comp for more traditional always-on subtle squish (then I can tame down the orange squeezer to use as a color tool with more moderate compression), then who knows? I like a pretty clean tone for this group, but I'm sure I will find other pedals to GAS over.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 14, 2017

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Science Goy posted:

After more than a decade of the "my signal chain consists of the cable between bass and amp" mentality, I put together babby's first pedalboard!

It's still very straightforward - DIY orange squeezer clone set for pretty aggressive squish, for big sustain and to mask my developing/inconsistent slap technique (the bassist I replaced put some prominent slap parts in the album that just got released, so I need to somewhat follow those parts). It also adds some nice subtle color to the tone. The Fuzz is basically being used as a mild gritty boost. I run mostly clean - I don't think I have a pedal turned on more than 15% of the time.

This setup is nice because it fits in my gig bag. Next time I add something, I don't know if it will work out quite as well.

Next planned addition is a MXR comp for more traditional always-on subtle squish (then I can tame down the orange squeezer to use as a color tool with more moderate compression), then who knows? I like a pretty clean tone for this group, but I'm sure I will find other pedals to GAS over.

Before you know it you're going to have a full giant pedalboard that's a giant pain in the rear end to move anywhere.

Speaking of that, I had a day off from work so I dug out my recording stuff and decided to record a song I've been working on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkCah5gjT9k

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thorpe posted:

Before you know it you're going to have a full giant pedalboard that's a giant pain in the rear end to move anywhere.

Speaking of that, I had a day off from work so I dug out my recording stuff and decided to record a song I've been working on.

...that's a lotta strings.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Thorpe posted:

The amount of pedals you own always ends up being the amount you can fit on your current pedalboard plus one.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The amount of pedals you own always ends up being the amount you can fit on your current pedalboard plus one.

Then I better keep this tiny pedalboard, because I would rather get more basses than a million pedals. I only have a fretless J, a 5-string MM and an upright... there are so many more bass styles to obtain...

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thorpe posted:

What up fellow six string bass tuned an octave below the guitar haver. What gauge do you use for your high E? I settled on 18 eventually.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

rio posted:

What up fellow six string bass tuned an octave below the guitar haver. What gauge do you use for your high E? I settled on 18 eventually.

This is a 7, and I have it tuned in 4ths so that's a high F for me. I used to run a .020 but I bumped it down to an .018 and I like it a lot more now.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, my main board ran out of room before I even finished it and I ended up grabbing a good deal on a pt-2 so I may try reconfiguring it though.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

My thought process basically boils down to "do I have room on my rack?" If yes ->> buy new guitar, if no ->> buy new rack and repeat question.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'm in a tight spot.

My SWR Bass 350 is making a bunch of noise. First started acting up when I made the mistake of letting the opening act use it at a show a couple weeks ago. The following week, I opened it up and tested everything out and it was working fine. Went through several practices, no noise. Just had a practice today, and the noise is back. I switched the pre-amp tube and it's still making the same noise, so its not microphonic tube issues, there must be some short in the circuitry.

I'm having my guitarist dig around his house for a potential substitute, and may also invoke the authority of my manager to borrow an amp from another act, but I'm also strongly considering just replacing the head. It's an old unit, I bought used nearly 5 years ago. Guitar Centehhhh has a bunch of Mark Bass heads on sale, which would be nice for the power/size ratio. Whatever it is, it's going to have to be instant gratification because I have a show tomorrow night. And I'm losing my poo poo. I don't want to make an impulse buy, and this is certainly an impulse situation.

Additional details, the head will be sitting in between a G&L SB-2 and a Low Down Sound 2x12/2x8 cab.

e. Another music store might have a demo Ampeg PF500 for $225, gonna check that out tomorrow. The other one I'm looking at is a new Markbass Little Mark III for $480, and an obviously used '76 Fender Bassman 50 for $400

ee. My guitarist found that substitute. Looks like I get to play a Peavey Nitrobass. :gonk:

eee. Also, I've found out the amp repair guy who I thought moved/died is still in town and alive, so I will probably just throw $50-100 and get the SWR repaired. Unless anyone still thinks I'd be better off shopping for a new amp head. Maybe something smaller or stronger. My GAS is very high, at the moment.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 21, 2017

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

, it's going to have to be instant gratification because I have a show tomorrow night. And I'm losing my poo poo. I don't want to make an impulse buy, and this is certainly an impulse situation.

Backline? Can't borrow or rent? Even put an ad on Craigslist? I wanted a somewhat-specific loaner bass before and a guy brought one to the studio provided he could hang out (he was a TB'er, I'll admit I went there in a moment of weakness).

I've decided the Mark Bass stuff just isn't my cup of tea. Tad overpriced and no real character to them. But everyone else seems to love 'em so what do I know?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

MarkBass heads are lightweight and reliable, and good value when on sale. A few college music buddies work at GC, so I can abuse the employee discount on occasion... I might get one of the top line MarkBass models if I start running dual cabs.

You can get a backpack case thing for those heads that can also hold all your cables, so you just grab a handle for load in. I've had a LM III and backpack case for about 7-8 years, and the setup works great. I can schlep my small-cab rig with electric bass in one trip.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How obnoxious would it be to have both steel strings and seymour duncan quarter pounds on a bass?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
markbass is very hard and expensive to repair.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

How obnoxious would it be to have both steel strings and seymour duncan quarter pounds on a bass?

Obnoxiously sick af

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Awesome combo, I think I posted a video of that combo earlier in the thread.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I'm in a tight spot.

Hit up the other bands through facebook if you can. I'm always down to share gear if people hit me up before the show. If they do it right before their set I charge them $25. Dont be that guy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
steels are the best sounding bass strings (in my opinion)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

markbass is very hard and expensive to repair.

Then don't break it, jeez (I hope mine lasts :ohdear:).

Leaving my Darkglass B3K on all the time fixes any character issues

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sockington posted:

Then don't break it, jeez (I hope mine lasts :ohdear:).

Leaving my Darkglass B3K on all the time fixes any character issues

yeah, just saying. it sounds great, it weighs next to nothing but there are downsides.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

steels are the best sounding bass strings (in my opinion)

Agreed but they never seem to last for me even though I don't have sweaty xenomorph hands.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pokey Araya posted:

Awesome combo, I think I posted a video of that combo earlier in the thread.

Hit up the other bands through facebook if you can. I'm always down to share gear if people hit me up before the show. If they do it right before their set I charge them $25. Dont be that guy.

Hell yeah I know what I'm doing in a few weeks.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did this on a P Bass. Loved it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Agreed but they never seem to last for me even though I don't have sweaty xenomorph hands.

Imo they sound best when they've gone dead but I usually play flats so probably shouldn't be trusted.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

If money is an issue, you can always just trade. A lot of people put ads just for trade so they can try different things. Beside the initial new vs used devaluation of getting something out of the store, music instrument barely lose any value overtime if it's kept in good condition and is a mid to high end quality.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bill Posters posted:

Imo they sound best when they've gone dead but I usually play flats so probably shouldn't be trusted.

I love flats too though. Maybe it's an issue of expectations. I'll have to throw a fresh set on my j bass and try to appreciate them aging without expecting that fresh clank to last forever.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only dilemma about whether or not to use flats is whether to use them or black tapewound strings. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rio posted:

The only dilemma about whether or not to use flats is whether to use them or black tapewound strings. That's it.

QFT. One of my basses has flats, the other has black tapes.

Tonight's gig was rough. I used the other band's amp, since it was already there and I thought he had decent equipment... No sound check before we started.

I couldn't hear myself at all, and on the rare occasion that I could (when the rest of the band dropped out) I sounded like poo poo. He was running it mic'd for some reason, instead of DI or XLR out, and the tone was garbage. We play a gig with the same band next weekend, and I'm bringing my mini rig to run through the house and for onstage monitor. My little 1x10 has more clarity, punch and definition than his 4x10, which I thought was turned off at times. Nope, it was still running, and volume was cranked, but nothing was really coming out.

Lesson learned, I guess... just use your own gear when you have decent equipment. Our drummer had similar issues with that band's kit... pretty sure he's bringing his own next weekend too.