Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Not every story about exploring the unknown and settling space has to be about historical colonialism. Andromeda's too optimistic for that. This game's story runs on Star Trek rules.

the whole initiative is the actions of a future Elon Musk inviting kool-aid drinkers, suckers, marks, and weirdos who can put up with him on poorly planned tech-start up moonshot project

it isn't starfleet, it's google/space x joint mars colony launching without government support and having no plan b for when things go wrong and people start shooting each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Well, I mean, literally every story from Earth about exploring the unknown has been about or at least involved that, but if you want to pretend otherwise it's no skin off my nose.

Like, I think it says a lot about humanity that we couldn't even discover the loving North Pole without inflicting unspeakable cruelty on that area's native inhabitants, and that that's an inherently more interesting story then "Exploring is fun :downs:," but to each his own.

Indeed. Grim, cynical games are a dime a dozen and I've come to adore that Andromeda is a far more optimistic view. I'm running around as a younger, Asian, lesbian Captain Picard helping everyone get along, being a benevolent alien who helps make life better for everyone, and geeking out when she encounters strange alien tech.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Like if you want a game about colonialism, take heart, Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming out and will feature Literally Historical Colonialism.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that a sci-fi setting might include loose parallels without letting the comparison utterly define it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zikan posted:

the whole initiative is the actions of a future Elon Musk inviting kool-aid drinkers, suckers, marks, and weirdos who can put up with him on poorly planned tech-start up moonshot project

it isn't starfleet, it's google/space x joint mars colony launching without government support and having no plan b for when things go wrong and people start shooting each other
Oh hey Star Wars thread buddy.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't think it should come as a surprise that a sci-fi setting might include loose parallels without letting the comparison utterly define it.
I agree!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zikan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWHb6dDVic

ME:A clearly defend that the green ending was the good ending. Mix IA and humans.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 29, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Remnant are the ones who get the short end of the stick. We come waltzing into their houses, killing their buddies and start changing the air conditioning settings without even asking.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

even the places where the initiative have massively focused and planned for on reek of what tech bros would find cool and interesting

"we've developed highly detailed plans for the minuscule possibility of first contact in this tiny sector of a new galaxy with no previous signs of life, go us time to crush some future-code"

"what about a legal system and growing food in adverse conditions"

"that poo poo's boring and why would we need it, we'll just run the thing like a lean and flexible startup!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

?

As far as we know poe2 will be a pirate adventure where you chase down a mad god.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zikan posted:

even the places where the initiative have massively focused and planned for on reek of what tech bros would find cool and interesting

"we've developed highly detailed plans for the minuscule possibility of first contact in this tiny sector of a new galaxy with no previous signs of life, go us time to crush some future-code"

"what about a legal system and growing food in adverse conditions"

"that poo poo's boring and why would we need it, we'll just run the thing like a lean and flexible startup!"

The Cultural Exchange is where this underlying attitude is most clearly on display. Somebody writing this game knew what the gently caress was up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

The Cultural Exchange is where this underlying attitude is most clearly on display. Somebody writing this game knew what the gently caress was up.

The Salarian one cruising on past the Genophage, and the Krogan one kinda ignoring the Nuclear destruction of their own planet. and the Human one talking about how everyone is friends across, racial, sexual, religious boundaries are just :discourse:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Indeed. Grim, cynical games are a dime a dozen and I've come to adore that Andromeda is a far more optimistic view. I'm running around as a younger, Asian, lesbian Captain Picard helping everyone get along, being a benevolent alien who helps make life better for everyone, and geeking out when she encounters strange alien tech.

This here. It's like in literature. Books like Abercrombie's First Law books are bleak and cynical and depressing... and really, really good. But I don't want to read that all the time, sometimes you want to read optimistic tales with clearly heroic (and flawed) protagonists. Same with video games. The Mass Effect trilogy is really good but it's nice that we don't face world ending threats (yet?) and that Andromeda is not overtly grim.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ask about ice cream :keke:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Colonialism doesn't refer to settling uninhabited territory, but colonization can, hence the confusion.

I also don't understand the objection to comparing two things that are similar, but not precisely the same thing. That is the point of comparison.

Right, it would be colonialism if the council races were trying to run this poo poo from the citadel and encouraging economic exploitation of the indigenous populations while shifting that wealth back to the homeland.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

The Salarian one cruising on past the Genophage, and the Krogan one kinda ignoring the Nuclear destruction of their own planet. and the Human one talking about how everyone is friends across, racial, sexual, religious boundaries are just :discourse:

They are each great in their own way, but the human one clearly has the most irony slathered onto it and is therefore my favorite. If the whole game had been more self-aware and cheeky about the hosed-up nature of the Andromeda Initiative, it would have been a far better experience.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I had been having issues with dropped frames with a 1080 ti on Ultra settings. The auto detection kept trying to drop me down to low. I followed some tips posted by another poster and changed all the texture settings to 4 in a profile file in the save folder in documents. Last night it ran like a dream so hopefully it's a permanent fix until better optimization comes through patches.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Serf posted:

A major theme of the game is people being thrust into positions they didn't want or are not prepared or experienced for, and having to make the best of a bad situation with some dire consequences hanging over their heads if they can't scrape together something workable. Somebody writing this game definitely knew what the gently caress was up.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Right, it would be colonialism if the council races were trying to run this poo poo from the citadel and encouraging economic exploitation of the indigenous populations while shifting that wealth back to the homeland.

Instead they just do it from the Nexus, but are largely ineffective due to gross incompetence.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Minor gripe about Voegl Voedt Voight--

I met the ancient AI and wound up shooting it to save the dumb Angara--it was kind of bullshit that the game treats it as a decision about whether a sentient AI's life is worth less. The Angara could probably easily have been shooed away, the AI was actively murdering him. But if you save the Angara the game just has Ryder say "hell yeah your life is worth less."

Also not the smartest thing to say with a sentient AI welded to your brain, but hey

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 29, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

A major theme of the game is people being thrust into positions they didn't want or are not prepared or experienced for, and having to make the best of a bad situation with some dire consequences hanging over their heads if they can't scrape together something workable. Somebody writing this game definitely knew what the gently caress was up.

I mean... yes? The fact that everything goes wrong because the people in charge are dumb is one good part of the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sentinel Red posted:

This is the most frustrating part of the writing. Parts are actually great or interesting, they just happen to be overwhelmed by tons of blandness.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I always got the impression not everyone was satisfied with the Council saying it was the geth - especially when Citadel reveals that the Council knew perfectly well the geth didn't make Sovereign, they were just trying to prevent a panic. I kept expecting to run into someone saying "I was the captain of a carrier in the Second Fleet. I saw Sovereign. Yeah, no, I'm not staying in a galaxy with those things."

Hackett in 2 and 3 certainly implies he believed the Reaper threat was genuine and did everything in his power to prepare the Alliance for the war.

One thing that always rubbed me the wrong way in all the games when it came to the Reapers - did no one have cameras? Or scanners? Like, in 2 you go into the center of the galaxy which you can prove with readings I'm assuming from the Normandy. Do ya'll not use cameras on your armor? We have that poo poo now. Oh what's that the council doesn't believe me or want to talk about it? Oh and look at this, how did this video get posted to every single streaming site in the galaxy? Only an AI could do that. Right EDI?

It's a nitpick I know. I'm so glad the people running the Initiative aren't as much roadblocks like the council were. Pro tip if you do a trilogy run, kill the original. The replacements have much more reasonable explanations for their actions in the 3rd one.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There's a leap from acknowledging a huge and advanced warship attacked the citadel to believing it's sentient and there are thousands more just like it on their way.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Charles Get-Out posted:

Does science Prodromos still have laser turrets everywhere?

Kylra posted:

It has a few at least. There's two near the landing zone.

There are zero laser turrets.

:spergin: There are, however, some mass effect cannons you can scan for technical specs.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If anything sometimes it feels like the opposite of white guilt. There's this weird creepy insistence that "god drat it if this game involves a situation that even superficially resembles historical colonialism then natives MUST be getting oppressed and brutalized, that way it's clear to all that it was historically inevitable and I can feel less bad".

If there's anything the Aztec, Arabic, Turkic, Mongolian, Chinese, Mughal, and Zulu empires taught me, colonialism was totally historically avoidable if only the Europeans hadn't developed transoceanic travel first.

Serf posted:

Instead they just do it from the Nexus, but are largely ineffective due to gross incompetence.

And a complete lack of the population, resources, and sense of galactic ownership that the Citadel has.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

One thing that always rubbed me the wrong way in all the games when it came to the Reapers - did no one have cameras? Or scanners? Like, in 2 you go into the center of the galaxy which you can prove with readings I'm assuming from the Normandy. Do ya'll not use cameras on your armor? We have that poo poo now. Oh what's that the council doesn't believe me or want to talk about it? Oh and look at this, how did this video get posted to every single streaming site in the galaxy? Only an AI could do that. Right EDI?

It's a nitpick I know. I'm so glad the people running the Initiative aren't as much roadblocks like the council were. Pro tip if you do a trilogy run, kill the original. The replacements have much more reasonable explanations for their actions in the 3rd one.

That could just as easily have been a Geth Ship one off and then boom, there you go. A drop of water doesn't make an ocean.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Spikeguy posted:

No one saw you speak to the Prothean VI, Shepard!

Noooo oneeee

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Little things like the citadel archives, that salarian spectre you meet in 3, the thanix cannons and the turian prepare-for-the-reapers project Garrus was eventually sent to make me think at some level they were trying to quietly prepare. They just didn't appreciate how little time they had or that they needed to get on an all out total war footing right now.

And I imagine Shep was kept out of it because they still saw her as one tool in the toolbox. A really unsubtle one that they had no immediate targets to send after, and who would never be able to keep quiet about it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Avalerion posted:

There's a leap from acknowledging a huge and advanced warship attacked the citadel to believing it's sentient and there are thousands more just like it on their way.

Yeah, that plot point was pretty reasonable. Like Sovereign is gigantic, it's reasonable to believe there is only one from the Heretics because why wouldn't they send everything they had at the Citadel in their drive to take it? This happened in FreeSpace 2 as well with the Shivan Juggernaut.

It's way easier to publically believe that Shpeard is a crazy gently caress, just like Saren, but it was crazy stupid to not prepare a little bit given that the best spectre went nuts about it and the dude you hired to hunt him down also went crazy about it.

Haledjian posted:

No one saw you speak to the Prothean VI, Shepard!

Noooo oneeee

Really should have plugged a flash drive into that Prothean computer to download Vigil, but lol. Or radioed Joker to come send a second team out to collect it.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Avalerion posted:

?

As far as we know poe2 will be a pirate adventure where you chase down a mad god.

PoE2 will take place in the Not Carribean where indigenous peoples are being explicitly exploited for the economic benefit of Rauatai and the Vailian Republics both of which are imperialist and colonial powers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The only time I wasn't playing Vanguard was when I was playing Infiltrator in ME 2 - 3. That's because of the time slowdown when you would scope enemies. Does this have that or is it gone?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Avalerion posted:

There should have been a scene where your conversation with Sovereign wraps up and one of your squadmates says, "whoa, Shepard, you got that on your helmet cam, right?" And Shepard just goes "fuuuuuuuuuuck I forgot to hit record!"

And then it happens again when you talk to Vigil.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DrNutt posted:

There should have been a scene where your conversation with Sovereign wraps up and one of your squadmates says, "whoa, Shepard, you got that on your helmet cam, right?" And Shepard just goes "fuuuuuuuuuuck I forgot to hit record!"

And then it happens again when you talk to Vigil.

We need to pass Space Legislation requiring that all Space Cops be equipped with Space Body Cameras that are recording at all times while they fight Space Crimes in Space and In Other Places Too.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tei posted:

Speaking of politics.

Theres no politic agenda in MEA. Like... you can clearly see how Bioshock was poking fun at Ayn Rand. MEA is naive, like a group of european settlers in virginia in a Terrence Malick movie.

The game have no message, politic of any other type. Is a missed opportunity.

Pretty sure the game has one big main message that it hammers into you for 70h straight: Working together as equals makes us stronger. I know, a controversial stance considering the political climate of the world in 2017.

DancingShade posted:

The precursor artifacts will probably be how we get to the general locations for ME:A:2 The Quest For More Money. Thinking the fancy remnant drive core we salvaged will lead to "Hey we made an experimental scout ship with the help of krogan scientists and this is the maiden voyage so off you go. Oh suprise disaster and plot ensues"

No need, the Kett obviously can travel from cluster to cluster without Mass Relays. They have a Senate in Andromeda after all. Just steal one of their drives. The new FTL drive the AI uses also just needs enough fuel, since the discharge issue has been magically solved by Japanese capacitors.

Serf posted:

On the whole Mass Effect is way too optimistic what with spacefaring humans and the Council and such. But not everyone got the memo.

As others have said: That's why I love the series. Species work together (even the enemies of you do), instead of drawing all the lines at racial borders (even though they all have their "<species> First" groups). If I do want to see <aliens> vs. Humans I can play a lot of games. Destiny 2 seems to be about that this time around too.

Also, I hope you all have met the two Cerberus scientists who thought TIM didn't get far enough and got side-tracked with that Project Lazarus voodoo:

Cerberus: Now loving up projects in two galaxies!

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Decius posted:

Pretty sure the game has one big main message that it hammers into you for 70h straight: Working together as equals makes us stronger. I know, a controversial stance considering the political climate of the world in 2017.

A controversial stance, but one proven by every military, company, and alliance where when all participants were treated equally they defeated those that relied on hierarchy and unequal power. I know I LOL when I read about how American primacy led to NATO imploding in the 1970s. Fortunately the EU, with its equal rotation of the presidency and veto power for all members, no matter how small or weak, seems to have learned better and shows every sign of lasting forever.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Decius posted:

No need, the Kett obviously can travel from cluster to cluster without Mass Relays. They have a Senate in Andromeda after all. Just steal one of their drives. The new FTL drive the AI uses also just needs enough fuel, since the discharge issue has been magically solved by Japanese capacitors.

As others have said: That's why I love the series. Species work together (even the enemies of you do), instead of drawing all the lines at racial borders (even though they all have their "<species> First" groups). If I do want to see <aliens> vs. Humans I can play a lot of games. Destiny 2 seems to be about that this time around too.

Also, I hope you all have met the two Cerberus scientists who thought TIM didn't get far enough and got side-tracked with that Project Lazarus voodoo:

Cerberus: Now loving up projects in two galaxies!

You don't even really need Kett tech. Given it took ~600 years to travel ~2.5m light years to Andromeda, you can cover ~4,200 LY in one year using Council tech.

I don't know what standard ME uses for "clusters," but NASA has images showing several within the same 4,400 LY block, so you could totally slow boat it and get to new areas in months to a year.

Edit: Is there something that prevents efficient travel within galaxies in the ME universe? Cause the Milky Way is 100,000 LY in diameter and using ME:A numbers you could cross it in 23 years with Initiative ships :v:

Double Edit: The Tempest can do 13LY/day according to the ME wiki, which means 4,475 LY/year. Long-distance travel is more "inconvenient" than "improbable;" the Tempest could cross the Milky Way in 21 and a bit years without obstruction.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know what standard ME uses for "clusters," but NASA has images showing several within the same 4,400 LY block, so you could totally slow boat it and get to new areas in months to a year.

Edit: Is there something that prevents efficient travel within galaxies in the ME universe? Cause the Milky Way is 100,000 LY in diameter and using ME:A numbers you could cross it in 23 years with Initiative ships :v:

Clusters are - unlike reality, where they are several neighbouring galaxies - the stars you can reach with the normal FTL-drive from a Mass Relay, so under 100 light years or so in diameter.

FTL until ME:A was limited by fuel and the building static charge in the drive, that would fry everyone inside the ship if not discharged regularly in a planet's atmosphere. Speed was 15 LY/day for FTL (Tempest makes 13 LY/day).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Decius posted:

Clusters are - unlike reality, where they are several neighbouring galaxies - the stars you can reach with the normal FTL-drive from a Mass Relay, so under 100 light years or so in diameter.

FTL until ME:A was limited by fuel and the building static charge in the drive, that would fry everyone inside the ship if not discharged regularly in a planet's atmosphere. Speed was 15 LY/day for FTL (Tempest makes 13 LY/day).

NASA identifies star clusters within galaxies too. But yeah, the static thing isn't really a problem now since you could not only travel for sustained periods with capacitors, but also dump the charge into planets along the way.

So other clusters are easily within the realm of possibility for future ME:A games, especially considering the Tempest could hitch onto an Ark which is capable of multi-million LY sustained travel.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Serf posted:

I mean... yes? The fact that everything goes wrong because the people in charge are dumb is one good part of the game.

I don't mean it as a negative, just enjoying the almost meta level that it works on. Its story somewhat mirrors its own production.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Charles Get-Out posted:

NASA identifies star clusters within galaxies too. But yeah, the static thing isn't really a problem now since you could not only travel for sustained periods with capacitors, but also dump the charge into planets along the way.

So other clusters are easily within the realm of possibility for future ME:A games.

The static discharge thing is taken care of with the Initiative's ODSY drives. Fuel might be a thing, but they fixed that with their magnetic ramscoops so it's totally reasonable to have travel times of, like, 6 months in the next games. Might steal the kett design for their Alcubierre drives first, though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Charles Get-Out posted:

Double Edit: The Tempest can do 13LY/day according to the ME wiki, which means 4,475 LY/year. Long-distance travel is more "inconvenient" than "improbable;" the Tempest could cross the Milky Way in 21 and a bit years without obstruction.

It was even more convenient to use the magic relay instantaneous transportation network, so nobody bothered I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Charles Get-Out posted:

In the early 2000s, when ME was developed, we still thought there are a far fewer planets out there, and when you only have a planet in every tenth system or so it would be limiting. Nowadays where we know that a star is more likely to have planets than not it of course breaks down, so jettisoning the whole thing isn't a bad thing in my opinion.