Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Y'see, you'd think that, but this is Nier, and things are weird.

Although if I had to guess from context clues, it's not so much that a plot twist in Nier: Automata isn't a twist if you played Nier. I'd guess it's a different one. Having not yet played it, I'm gonna assume there aren't any humans anymore, which is something that you'd know if you played Nier, but Automata lets you think maybe they came back somehow before telling you nope, they didn't. If I'm correct in my guess, it's just a different twist depending on whether you've played Nier: if you didn't play it, the twist is that the humans you thought you were fighting on behalf of don't exist; if you did play it, you're going to spend some time wondering how humans came back or maybe they're Replicants, and the twist is that they didn't and you've been faked out.

You're right I guess it's not spoiling but recontextualizing, I was thinking more of someone in the middle of Automata reading a summary of 1 and going ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

again, by definition, aren't prequels pre-spoiled

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Real talk, which to play first: Horizontal or Nicer:A?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

i hear good things about this new zelda: best of the worst

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

again, by definition, aren't prequels pre-spoiled

Eh, it depends. A lot of prequels like to pull surprise recontextualizations and like "this minor character from the prequel turns out to have been the villain in the original after a name change" is probably supposed to be a surprise.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Franchescanado posted:

Person 5

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Franchescanado posted:

I vote Nier then Horizon if you plan on doing both because I did the opposite and Nier is kind of hard to look at now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play nier first and horizon never

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of Lufia 1 is the ending of Lufia 2, which is a prequel.

It is, if you went into L2 without playing L1, a pretty big surprise as the ending of L2 is "the protagonist and his wife die" but since it is assumed you played L1 it isn't supposed to be a shock.

Yeah it's this. It's pretty much the same thing as above with Nier, it's not really intended to be a twist, but in this case I think the ending of Lufia 2 actually works a lot better going in blind.

Also Lufia 1 is just completely terrible anyway so it's not worth playing for any reason.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

This is terrible advice.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sidequests come with huge rewards which offset the difficulty a lot, there are good weapons and materials to upgrade them scattered all over the world, if your chips aren't set up right you'll spend the entire game getting one-shot, and there are super cheap consumables that fully halve the damage you take. The game gives you a lot of ways to manage the difficulty on hard but if you don't take advantage of them it gets really rough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trust not the goons with avatars of anime, for they have tasted the forbidden fruit and liked it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Trust not the goons with avatars of anime, for they have tasted the forbidden fruit and liked it

What about goons with avatars of anime video games? Asking for a friend.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bloodychill posted:

Like I get what people mean when they say "if a spoiler ruined something for you, it wasn't worth reading/watching" but on the other hand, people can enjoy literature and art for what they are and genre fiction for what it is. Also don't be a dick.

I get why people think this but I feel like there are things in games which are extremely cool to experience first without secondhand knowledge. My dad has been playing Wind Waker off and on and ended up having to replay the first Forsaken Fortress trip once due to some savegame fuckery and his heart was 100% not in it due to the fact that he knew he wasn't gonna save Aryll and he was just gonna get his rear end kicked by a big bird.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think not understanding spoiler-avoidance is way stranger. I like to feel these things called emotions when I engage with media: shock, joy, sadness, those sorts of things. It's hard to do so when you know every detail of the plot beforehand.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one time I can think of where something I watched was noticeably improved by me not being spoiled was the movie Moon, which is a cool space movie that Duncan Jones made before he fell down the Warcraft hole. I went to see it with some friends not even knowing that it existed before that day, so I hadn't seen a trailer or read about the premise or anything. So when the movie revealed that there were two Sam Rockwells I was really surprised and it made the whole thing more engaging. Afterwards, I watched the trailer and it turns out that thing I thought was a twist was revealed right in the trailer.

I mean, it's a good movie either way, so that's important--I wouldn't care if it wasn't a good movie and was somehow only good because of one surprising moment--but going into that reveal not knowing about it ahead of time did make the experience better and more memorable. So I sympathize with people who try really hard to avoid spoilers for things, even if I'm pretty lax about it myself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't go out of my way to shut spoilers out but I'd prefer not to see them. It's nice to be surprised by things.

I don't get why it's so hard for other people to not spoil poo poo for other people who care about that stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knowing twists in advance can absolutely change how you feel about a game. Bioshock, to use a game example, is built upon the idea that the player is being tricked. Even if you, personally, didn't get tricked by it and figured out the Kindly twist in advance it worked for a lot of people and impacted their experience. Knowing it in advance changes how you view things and to some people it's more fun to get the intended experience instead. Not spoiling things is just not being a dick to people who enjoy things differently from you.

The argument of "It's not a GOOD THING if spoiling it can ruin it" is silly because a lot of movies, books and games function at their best by tricking or misleading the viewer to evoke emotion. Knowing the trick means you can appreciate how it was set up but you don't get the same emotional connection as you would if you 'fell' for the trick.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sometimes, usually with TV shows, knowing what's going to happen makes you go into it looking at things in a different context, so the second time around is a different experience from the first. And it's kind of lovely to take that experience away from someone when you could easily just shut the gently caress up about it.

^^^^^
And what that guy up there said.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 29, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i watched ds9 for the first time i thought i read somewhere that odo died so it was a weird watch. and then a character i didn't care about died instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Horizon is really good though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i hear good things about this new zelda: best of the worst

I'm waiting for a Switch to play the Zelders.

5 Persons will have to wait, that's a huge time sink.

exquisite tea posted:

I vote Nicer then Horizontal if you plan on doing both because I did the opposite and Nicer is kind of hard to look at now.

Thank you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Having a fresh first experience is nice but it's dumb when it gets to the point of insisting that detailed discussion just not happen on enthusiast sites unless it looks like an FBI doc.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Spoiler tags are good, friend, and take next to no effort to use.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Also excited because Nicer:A's success means we may get a remake of the original Nicer

Automata is already kind of a remake of the original anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motto posted:

Having a fresh first experience is nice but it's dumb when it gets to the point of insisting that detailed discussion just not happen on enthusiast sites unless it looks like an FBI doc.

For popular games, I'm a fan of separate spoiler threads so people can just post about the whole game without marking spoilers. The Horizon one is good, for example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

It depends.

Like okay, for video games: There are a lot of valid reasons to discuss a game before you're finished it because games are long and have mechanical or gameplay issues which you might want to discuss. Short of making separate story/gameplay threads how do you handle that without asking for spoilers or telling someone "Well, too bad that you wanted to ask where the magic sword of mcguffin is, here is a discussion about how Cloud kills Tidus instead."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes the act of revelation itself is so important to the overall experience that it does damage the work as a whole to know what's coming in advance. This is so obvious for certain stories that I don't know how anyone could disagree. If you're not particularly invested in the story however, spoilers likely aren't going to mean as much to you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being super spoiler paranoid is bad, spoiling stuff just to be a dick is bad, but claiming that work A spoils work B which was released years later and wasn't even being envisioned contemporaneously with work A is just crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

Breathing Willy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

Being super spoiler paranoid is bad, spoiling stuff just to be a dick is bad, but claiming that work A spoils work B which was released years later and wasn't even being envisioned contemporaneously with work A is just crazy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

haveblue posted:

:negative:

To save my fragile e-go someone else also mentioned that Automata might be better completely blind of previous Yoko Taro works in the Automata thread (which is the advice I took) :colbert:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Franchescanado posted:

Franchescanado posted:

I'm waiting for a Switch to play the Zelders.

Do you have the worst word filters or are you just being ~quirky~?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Breathing Willy.

I don't own a Swatch

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Horizontal was a word filter, Zelders is from Lurdiak and the others were legit typos in this thread from the last page.

I'm bored.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't own a Swatch

Surely you own a Woo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

To save my fragile e-go someone else also mentioned that Automata might be better completely blind of previous Yoko Taro works in the Automata thread (which is the advice I took) :colbert:
automata is cool if you've played previous yoko taro works because there's some callbacks for longtime fans, and also it's neat to see how far he's come from making a barely playable dynasty warriors/rogue squadron mashup on the ps2 to making an actual a-list game with a decent budget and cohesive story/world/gameplay. i assume it is also cool if you haven't played previous yoko taro games. i dont think either is objectively a better way to experience it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

For popular games, I'm a fan of separate spoiler threads so people can just post about the whole game without marking spoilers. The Horizon one is good, for example.

This is my personal preference. I liked it for Horizon and this should probably be done for Nier and Zelda if it hasn't already been done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lakbay posted:

I don't even necessarily think you're wrong, just that "spoiler" wasn't the right word.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Too late Nier thread has been an FBI document forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

whatever it is... it's freaking epic :D

• Locked thread