Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Management posted:

they're the best interviews because you're like gently caress this I already have an offer in hand. you should always be asking tough questions about the job.

You should, but having that offer gives me the confidence to actually act on the information I get, instead of what I usually do: shrugging and saying "oh well it can't be worse than what I have now" (wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

i had the best phone screen of my life today (as the interviewer), insofar as the guy told me he was too busy to do it now and asked me to reschedule it

hey whatever, works for me buddy, i won't be doing the next one

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I found it, literal interview hell. After the usual phone, HR and technical interview gauntlet they want me to do a 6-hour pen & paper aptitude test and psych evaluation

Is this common, or is it just because the company is old as balls

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Double Bill posted:

I found it, literal interview hell. After the usual phone, HR and technical interview gauntlet they want me to do a 6-hour pen & paper aptitude test and psych evaluation

Tell them to gently caress off

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Double Bill posted:

a friend of mine is walking amazon's process right now, and they gave him a multiple choice paper test with questions like:

quote:

A man showed a boy next to him and said He is the son of my wifes sister-in-law, but I am the only child of my parents. How is man's son related to him?
Brother
Uncle
Nephew
Cousin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

please come early for the phrenology screening [short hairstlyes preferred]

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Double Bill posted:

IBM?

ADINSX posted:

Tell them to gently caress off

do this

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

a friend of mine is walking amazon's process right now, and they gave him a multiple choice paper test with questions like:

man, now i am really glad i washed out early on that bullshit. i had a vague twinge of regret at flipping out at them after failing a timed coding test. i was expecting fizzbuzz, but they wanted me to construct and traverse a trie and have it pass automated tests

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yep, I got sent the study guide for the Amazon tech test and kindly told them i was no longer interested. I especially liked the recommendation to start practicing coding without an IDE for the week prior since they expect syntactically perfect code for their whiteboard portion.

Also the last section of the study guide was just links to good press Amazon has gotten recently.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like these interviews are really testing how hard you want to work somewhere. However, considering Amazon has 11k job openings in Seattle alone, the answer for most people seems to be "not very"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Yep, I got sent the study guide for the Amazon tech test and kindly told them i was no longer interested. I especially liked the recommendation to start practicing coding without an IDE for the week prior since they expect syntactically perfect code for their whiteboard portion.

Also the last section of the study guide was just links to good press Amazon has gotten recently.

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kdrudy posted:

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

I feel like these interviews are really testing how hard you want to work somewhere. However, considering Amazon has 11k job openings in Seattle alone, the answer for most people seems to be "not very"

I wonder if there's ever moments where they're like "maybe the problem is... us? nah that can't be it we're awesome"

like I pretty much know I have been somehow deemed "non-googley" but I still get dozens of recruiter hits for google jobs that have been open for more than a year

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

kdrudy posted:

Lmao

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

this is insanely garbage; is this an SDE position?

kdrudy posted:

for the first part at least, it's because you'll be whiteboarding. I yearn for the day when we switch to laptops for any coding parts of in-person interviews.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

for the first part at least, it's because you'll be whiteboarding. I yearn for the day when we switch to laptops for any coding parts of in-person interviews.

the "syntactically perfect" part is a bigger issue than the whiteboarding itself, imo.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 29, 2017

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

jony neuemonic posted:

the "syntactically perfect" part is a bigger issue than the whiteboarding itself, imo.

i agree, whiteboarding anything more substantial than pseudocode is a waste of time

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

going to an in person with amazon next week. i can't wait for the brainteasers!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FamDav posted:

this is insanely garbage; is this an SDE position?

yeah, it is entry level SDE, but in Austin not Seattle

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i whiteboard in pseudohaskell, its a miracle i got hired

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just finished the timed take home test. two hours. kicked its rear end. now we wait...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

applied for 4 positions yesterday and 2 want me to interview. feels good man

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

amazon recruiters keep emailing now that I have two ex coworkers there, and I immediately delete the emails without reading them as is proper

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i think i need to get out of this market, i've actually run out of things to apply to. :rip:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
ugh, i responded to a recruiters email and got roped into bullshit. I read "pay 400k+" and my brain turned off. now he wants me to fill out a loving survey and send an updated resume. I don't have time for this poo poo. don't be me - don't respond to recruiter emails.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

ugh, i responded to a recruiters email and got roped into bullshit. I read "pay 400k+" and my brain turned off. now he wants me to fill out a loving survey and send an updated resume. I don't have time for this poo poo. don't be me - don't respond to recruiter emails.

just send him your old one and forget to do the survey

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jobs that pay 400k+ (base) do not advertise how much they pay. they don't even have listings for that type of job, it's about knowing people or specialized head hunters.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Management posted:

jobs that pay 400k+ (base) do not advertise how much they pay. they don't even have listings for that type of job, it's about knowing people or specialized head hunters.

c'mon, nobody except senior management gets that kind of base salary. i know people who want to make moeny are getting $300k-600k but the majority of that is stock or bonus

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

The Management posted:

this was total comp for a senior quantitative trading thing so I assumed it was realistic. I don't know poo poo about financial dev work except that it can pay a lot. but yeah, they probably don't email random nobodies like me to hire.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

now that i think about it i'm surprised shitbag recruiters haven't started calling themselves headhunters for that extra edge

poo poo now that i've written this it's going to be come real. i'm sorry. ims orry

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

oh so it was an email from huxley

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this was total comp for a senior quantitative trading thing so I assumed it was realistic. I don't know poo poo about financial dev work except that it can pay a lot. but yeah, they probably don't email random nobodies like me to hire.

it wasnt from "Herman Search" was it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809017#post469162746

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've heard bad things about amazon before but maybe amazon canada is different? whatever I'll apply and if there's a bunch of BS I'll be out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DuckConference posted:

i've heard bad things about amazon before but maybe amazon canada is different? whatever I'll apply and if there's a bunch of BS I'll be out

at amazon everything depends on what team you're on.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hi rotor

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

like I pretty much know I have been somehow deemed "non-googley" but I still get dozens of recruiter hits for google jobs that have been open for more than a year
I'm pretty sure almost all Google jobs are open all the time because they hire generally then place people later.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

at amazon everything depends on what team you're on.

or subsidiary of... ;)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hello

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure almost all Google jobs are open all the time because they hire generally then place people later.

yeah they always have plenty of room for stanford grads and weird autists who are good at making everything a sorting problem

Sniep posted:

or subsidiary of... ;)

hi sniep

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

hi sniep

how's things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yay rotor's back

• Locked thread