Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's a dude in my unit who has a bunch of Norse runic and themed tattoos and is all in to that. He's a Texan though so somehow Jesus counterbalances it, i presume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

There's a dude in my unit who has a bunch of Norse runic and themed tattoos and is all in to that. He's a Texan though so somehow Jesus counterbalances it, i presume.

is he a white supremacist? He sounds like a white supremacist.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I never asked, I just kind of assumed yes. Next time I talk to him I'll ask him if he is in to black metal

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh boy I can't wait to go back to Hawaii next week for some more mahu.

The weather better be radically different that Washington right now because I could some sun.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Is it unacceptable to submit a resignation in the first month of being at a command?

The instruction says to drop it 9-12 months before the day you're trying to separate. Other than minimum time on station I don't think I'm missing any other key points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is it unacceptable to submit a resignation in the first month of being at a command?

The instruction says to drop it 9-12 months before the day you're trying to separate. Other than minimum time on station I don't think I'm missing any other key points.

Are you at ship or shore? If you're at sea duty you have a minimum obliserv of 1 year and 2 years for shore. I'm not 100% sure if that's still the rule but it was back in the day.

So if you're on shore duty, you've got another 2 years before you can resign.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Sea duty. So in my head the way it worked out was to show up and pretty much drop the resignation letter pretty early on (I would have already met my active duty OBLISERV by that point), and request to separate a year later in that letter.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh boy I can't wait to go back to Hawaii next week for some more mahu.

The weather better be radically different that Washington right now because I could some sun.

How much free time do you anticipate? Will you have a car?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

How much free time do you anticipate? Will you have a car?

They didnt give out cars this time because we are going as a unit so vans it is. My wife is flying in on next Thursday and staying until monday so I'll be uh.. busy on the weekend. I'll be staying at waikiki beach if you have time this Sunday, dont mind taking a taxi or bus. We dont officially report for duty until Monday morning. This is a new reserve unit to me so I have no idea how hard they are going to work us during the week. It's a watertight door, hatch and live preserver inspection unit so yeaaaaah.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

They didnt give out cars this time because we are going as a unit so vans it is. My wife is flying in on next Thursday and staying until monday so I'll be uh.. busy on the weekend. I'll be staying at waikiki beach if you have time this Sunday, dont mind taking a taxi or bus. We dont officially report for duty until Monday morning. This is a new reserve unit to me so I have no idea how hard they are going to work us during the week. It's a watertight door, hatch and live preserver inspection unit so yeaaaaah.

I'd take you up on it but I'm not out there anymore. Just trying to think of fun stuff you might be able to do on your off-time. Do you hike?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

I'd take you up on it but I'm not out there anymore. Just trying to think of fun stuff you might be able to do on your off-time. Do you hike?

Oh I came out last year by myself and did the drive around the island, random beach butt-peaking and body surfing, Arizona, aquarium and side of the road food stands. This time looks like I'll be forced to do whatever dumb stuff the unit wants to do together after work (drinking) but at least they told us there is nothing planned from after Friday work to Monday so those of us bringing out our spouses can have good time. Doing the Polynesian Culture Center and chill beach time with her.

Word was our PT will be hikes after early work days but that's just what some random guy said happened last year.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Cool. For whatever reason, Manoa Falls trail just popped into my head, so I figured I'd mention it if you and the wife happen to be the hiking type. There's a trail up to the falls that's paved, very leisurely and easy (plus the forest and the falls are beautiful), maybe a half hour round trip. Then, once you get to the falls, turn left and you can take a trail that continues through bamboo thickets and up switchbacks until you end up on a peak and it's like you can see the whole drat island from there. Bring a Camelbak and a windbreaker if you take the hike beyond the falls. Google Manoa Falls trail for more info. It's not terribly far from Waikiki, but you'd probably have to take a cab; I don't think there's a bus that runs there. MWR might be able to wrangle you some transportation.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

Cool. For whatever reason, Manoa Falls trail just popped into my head, so I figured I'd mention it if you and the wife happen to be the hiking type. There's a trail up to the falls that's paved, very leisurely and easy (plus the forest and the falls are beautiful), maybe a half hour round trip. Then, once you get to the falls, turn left and you can take a trail that continues through bamboo thickets and up switchbacks until you end up on a peak and it's like you can see the whole drat island from there. Bring a Camelbak and a windbreaker if you take the hike beyond the falls. Google Manoa Falls trail for more info. It's not terribly far from Waikiki, but you'd probably have to take a cab; I don't think there's a bus that runs there. MWR might be able to wrangle you some transportation.

Got a car rental for the weekend. Gonna google it first so you arent sending me to a gay-hookup campsite but that sounds like a really nice thing to do with her on Sunday.

Wife likes the idea. It's a go for our Sunday together.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Got a car rental for the weekend. Gonna google it first so you arent sending me to a gay-hookup campsite but that sounds like a really nice thing to do with her on Sunday.

Wife likes the idea. It's a go for our Sunday together.

Nice! No trick, just a fun hike. Up to the falls is easy and relaxing, my 60 year old parents did it after lunch. If you go past there up to the peak (I never knew the name, but Google is giving me Aihualama/Pauoa Flats trail), expect mud, the trail isn't paved. It's a blazed trail and all, it's not like you'll get lost or do orienteering, it's just that it's a track through the forest up a mountain.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My favorite hike was in one of the valleys that followed a pipe and riverbed most of the way. Three waterfalls and then a big crater that is filled with water (source of the falls). You can turn back, hike the ridge back, or continue around the rim into the mountains and end up overlooking Haliewa.

It started by turning left at a Buddhist temple, going up the winding valley road, and parking by an open lot with biege trailers along the back tree line. Cross the street and there is a wood line entrance next to a mailbox

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Think this fits with the current discussion. Some dude I know from the Navy practices Norse Heathenism, like, unironically

Not sure if its the same thing but on USS current ship they have Heathen Services on the schedule.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha wtf

In boot camp some dude kept arguing to keep his Wicca Bible w/e as if it was a Bible or something. Think he got separated in boot camp within two weeks for something else

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haha wtf

In boot camp some dude kept arguing to keep his Wicca Bible w/e as if it was a Bible or something. Think he got separated in boot camp within two weeks for something else

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure if its the same thing but on USS current ship they have Heathen Services on the schedule.

I really don't care what dumbfuck deity book you wank yourself to sleep with every night. Skating off (by pretending to give a poo poo about a religion) is a Sailor's right. If the Protestants get to do it, so do the dirty heathens and atheists.

Edit: Not saying vulturesrow is shitalking dirt heathenism

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Was anyone not religious in boot camp

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Bagged out every Friday night to sit in nice chairs and BS with the chaplain and the ~12 other yids who bothered to show up, and still got a whole Sunday of holiday routine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Pretty sure everyone went to church services in boot camp just to get the gently caress out of cleaning the barracks the the umpteenth time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Pretty sure everyone went to church services in boot camp just to get the gently caress out of cleaning the barracks the the umpteenth time.

I never went. We just chilled in the room and took long rear end showers.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Me, then again the movies and metal were constantly playing in my head so the entire boring thing was just waxxed over.

Also what Mr. Nice said.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I went twice because of boredom. Two eastern religions I've never been to a service for. No worse than anything else during boot.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
We got to do anything other than sleep during church time so I chilled and wrote letters / "cleaned" under my rack.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My new life goal is to be a Godless Heathen Chaplain

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Didn't go to services because that's not my get down. Maybe one day there will be equal...whatever, for atheists, but it's going to take those loud idiotic ones to make it happen. Whatever if praying to a God helps people sleep better at night after this poo poo, more power to them I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Didn't go to services because that's not my get down. Maybe one day there will be equal...whatever, for atheists, but it's going to take those loud idiotic ones to make it happen. Whatever if praying to a God helps people sleep better at night after this poo poo, more power to them I guess.

The chanting was nice and I think i may of dozed out for most of it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

The chanting was nice and I think i may of dozed out for most of it.

Did this twice then just spent the rest of the Sundays in the shower

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Did this twice then just spent the rest of the Sundays in the shower

Our hot water heater was busted. Our div caught scabbies and it spread rapidly due to lack of hot water to clean clothes. Made shower times very short.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Our hot water heater was busted. Our div caught scabbies and it spread rapidly due to lack of hot water to clean clothes. Made shower times very short.

AccelerateYourLife.txt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Lm loving ao what nasty gently caress brought scabies to boot camp

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Lm loving ao what nasty gently caress brought scabies to boot camp

Have you looked at recruits lately? Seriously we had at least two guys who were 100% homeless and somehow defeated a drug test.

In happier news I finally got gained to NOSC Bremerton and assigned to a local unit so I dont have have to go to San Diego anymore to drill!

Wait... San Diego is kinda nice for a change of pace from Kitsap county... gently caress.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Y'all got the less gay boot camp stories. Mine was us doing poo poo on purpose so we'd work out, the kid next to me making GBS threads his pants every other day, and the comedy of seeing this one kid that bragged about his Master Chief dad and got beat til he gave up by some Senior Chief from another division that hated his dad.

Also best weight loss. I went from 230 lbs to 140 something in like 5 weeks. 10/10, would do Navy Medicine Again.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait... San Diego is kinda nice for a change of pace from Kitsap county... gently caress.

Went to San Diego this week for a conference. The "VIP Suite" at the Point Loma NGIS was $6 more than the regular rooms, and boasted a "beachfront view balcony".

I think I got my $6 worth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Went to San Diego this week for a conference. The "VIP Suite" at the Point Loma NGIS was $6 more than the regular rooms, and boasted a "beachfront view balcony".

I think I got my $6 worth.

Pretty dope. I think I may be able to beat that once I get to my hotel.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If we stayed in the berthing on sundays we got holloywood showers and time to ourselves.

I don't give a poo poo what god/gods you pray to, but there have been too many suicides imo to keep having a chaplin do the role of a professional psychiatric counselor. We need to repalace the chaplin's duty with people who actually went to school for mental health.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

If we stayed in the berthing on sundays we got holloywood showers and time to ourselves.

I don't give a poo poo what god/gods you pray to, but there have been too many suicides imo to keep having a chaplin do the role of a professional psychiatric counselor. We need to repalace the chaplin's duty with people who actually went to school for mental health.

Only had I heard of first hand during my time. Some kid in my building tried to hang himself with a shoe string in the laundry room and the night watch found him. They took him down and put him back in his bed. He tried again that night with the drawstring of his sweatshirt in the shower. That time the night watch finally told a petty officer and poo poo went nuts and woke us all up.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Only had I heard of first hand during my time. Some kid in my building tried to hang himself with a shoe string in the laundry room and the night watch found him. They took him down and put him back in his bed. He tried again that night with the drawstring of his sweatshirt in the shower. That time the night watch finally told a petty officer and poo poo went nuts and woke us all up.

There was one recruit in my division who tried it with his towel in the showers. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

There was one in my division who tried it with his towel. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

gently caress.