Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

I don't even necessarily think you're wrong, just that "spoiler" wasn't the right word.

Yeah. There are a lot of aspects of zelda that I think would be cool to experience as a kid new to games rather than someone familiar with series conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lakbay posted:

Too late Nier thread has been an FBI document forever

The Automata thread should be styled like the loading screen documents from the first game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish there was an option to display all spoilers in a thread, I would want to go back and read the Nier thread when I'm done but it would involve more clicking than the actual game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Why are there so many good games what the gently caress and I just stupidly started a new game in EO2 Untold

Currently working through:
-EO2 Untold
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Hollow Knight
-DS3 DLC
-Rythmn Heaven (there's MORE levels??)
-Gunvolt 2 (kind of rear end compared to the first one, might drop it)

Next on my MUST PLAY queue:
-SMT IV or IVA
-FE: Fates
-Persona loving V
--EOIV
-Phoenix Wright 6 (the latest one?)
-Finish Witcher 3 god drat it
-FInish Hitman god drat it
-DQ builders
-Nier Automata now I guess
-a TON of other 3ds games that look fantastic and are loaded into my SD card

Just off the top of my head, I know there's more I need to get around to playing

this is so stupid

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

again, by definition, aren't prequels pre-spoiled

You should've seen my confusion when Anakin survived the first 3 movies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Someone I know has just powered through FF15 so they can play Tales of Berseria, is now diving deep into Nier:A, now Persona 5 is coming out plus they want to play Breath of the Wild, and I'm legitimately worried that they're going to die of sleep deprivation trying to shotgun so many games like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Surely you own a Woo?

Yeah, but I'd rather just wait and get it to justify a new system which will inevitably have games I want, while enjoying praised new games on my PS4, which I don't have a lot of games for.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Someone I know has just powered through FF15 so they can play Tales of Berseria, is now diving deep into Nier:A, now Persona 5 is coming out plus they want to play Breath of the Wild, and I'm legitimately worried that they're going to die of sleep deprivation trying to shotgun so many games like that.

the lovely thing is that I only get an hour or two max per night depending on how my day goes, so adding more and more to my backlog is...not wise

not my fault there's groundbreaking, GOTY-material games being released every few weeks

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There's gonna be a drought of good releases eventually. Right?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Summer drought, same as every year

I guess last summer had some JRPGs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Once Tekken 7 and Rev 2 come out I'm not buying anything for the rest of the year probably. Unless indivisible comes out this year, that game seems cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I'll also keep buying Miku DLC now that I've contracted HIV, the virus that causes AIDS thanks to Future Tone

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Once Tekken 7 and Rev 2 come out I'm not buying anything for the rest of the year probably. Unless indivisible comes out this year, that game seems cool

you got me thinking there was a revengenance 2...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr Cheeto posted:

OTOH Steam summer sale is gonna be great for all the stuff you missed the first time around.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

you got me thinking there was a revengenance 2...

Revelator 2 is even more important if you can believe it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're changing the animation on Millia's j.HS and making her 6P one hit instead of two. It's GOTY material

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gesundheit

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i started playing rain world. it's really pretty and the slug cat is cute. the way it controls is a little awkward at first but it really effectively gets across the desperate feeling of prey scrambling from a predator. here's gifs i found

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

i started playing rain world. it's really pretty and the slug cat is cute. the way it controls is a little awkward at first but it really effectively gets across the desperate feeling of prey scrambling from a predator. here's gifs i found

Rain World is getting pretty bad reviews but I'm going to buy it after I beat ds3 ringed city, let's talk about it together then friendo

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

I'm kind of torn because a lot of reviews have mentioned that while the game looks great in gif form that the awkward controls combined with the one-hit-kills-you lethality of everything means that it's an incredibly tedious game to play, which if true is a shame because it does look good and it took someone years to make, but after River City Ransom: Underground I'm not sure I'm in the market for another game that looks cool but wants to actively spite the player.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The devs kinda realized they made a bad game and they're saying they're taking all the criticism to heart and are going to have a lot of rebalancing so there's some hope

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It'd be nice if they could clean up the controls. That is an extremely neat-looking game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The visual design on that slug makes me think that it should be able to fly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lets hang out posted:

basing my opinion entirely on these three gifs and literally nothing else it looks like an extremely pretty game that's boring as hell to play

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also it makes me want to play super meat boy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cowcaster what are you five favorite games. mine are mgs3/majora's mask/nuclear throne/star fox 64/sonic adventure 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

basing my opinion entirely on these three gifs and literally nothing else it looks like an extremely pretty game that's boring as hell to play

I'm copy+pasting this quote and saving it for 90% of all future games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

cowcaster what are you five favorite games. mine are mgs3/majora's mask/nuclear throne/star fox 64/sonic adventure 2

most recently doom 2016/witcher 3/dishonored 2/vermintide/mgsv

of all time i'd have to think about for a while but bastion and hotline miami would probably be up there

oh and dark souls deffo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What do you call that style of pixel graphics by the way, the sort of thing you see in Rain World and Hyper Light Drifter and that one Kickstarter game about getting sucked into some kind of computer world? It's not really "retro" because it doesn't seem to be trying to go for an homage to any specific era the way that, say, Shovel Knight did.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

oddium posted:

Curious, what puts nuclear throne so high for you? I beat it once and it's a lot of fun but I wish it had some more variety since on a surface level pretty much every run is the same save for which mutations you pick (and there aren't even that many mutations)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

most recently doom 2016/witcher 3/dishonored 2/vermintide/mgsv

of all time i'd have to think about for a while but bastion and hotline miami would probably be up there

oh and dark souls deffo.

vermintide is more in there just for an hours played rather than sheer enjoyment

also killer7 belongs somewhere in the mix

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

reviewer on Eurogamer about Persona 5 posted:

For one, Persona 5 continues the franchise's awkward relationship with queer-coded people.

Ugh.

So is Persona 5 actually something that a normal person who has no experience of the series could pick up and enjoy if they only sort of like JRPGs?

Basically, i liked Yakuza 0 with no prior knowledge of the series, is P5 the same?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think rain world's controls are bad, you just have to get a feel for the way the slug cat moves. I've barely played at all but from what I've read it sounds like a lot of the game is learning how to use your limited toolset to get around the world. I really like that kind of thing in games, where it's not your character getting better but you the player getting smarter about controlling them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Ugh.

So is Persona 5 actually something that a normal person who has no experience of the series could pick up and enjoy if they only sort of like JRPGs?

Basically, i liked Yakuza 0 with no prior knowledge of the series, is P5 the same?

What appeals to you about it if you don't really like JRPGs? I've only played Persona 4 and it's a very cool unique game but it's very much a JRPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Ugh.

if you could enjoy yakuza 0 then yeah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

Ugh.

I mean, that same review said it's a good game, just pointed out one of the issues it has

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing Metroid: Zero Mission on my Wii U gamepad and it's pretty fun to play a GBA game at double size with no anti aliasing. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing Metroid: Zero Mission on my Wii U gamepad and it's pretty fun to play a GBA game at double size with no anti aliasing. :)

That game was so loving good. I never played Fusion, though.

There's quite a few Virtual Console games I'd like, but again, it seems like it'd be better to hold out and buy them on the Switch, since everything would be portable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fusion was also really good.

I miss 2D Metroid :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Zero Mission felt "purer" but Fusion is loving fresh and great

• Locked thread