Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

shags, I love you, but you don't care about AR when you have that many pixels/ screen real estate.

that many pixels just makes it even more obvious how many are missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Just face it, you're going to be like a model M user clinging to your 1986 keyboard hoping it never dies.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

that many pixels just makes it even more obvious how many are missing

the industry decided we don't deserve 16:10

:rip:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

Just face it, you're going to be like a model M user clinging to your 1986 keyboard hoping it never dies.

what's this "going to be" and "like" business?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

mechanical keyboards have made a comeback idk why proper monitor resolutions cant.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

pagancow posted:

it will not ever die lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Models M can't die

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pagancow posted:

i blame the metric system since they got apple to popularize the use of a "metric megabyte" where 1,000,000 bytes is a megabyte

the post i have quoted here disqualifies you from posting in yospos, hth hand

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

spankmeister posted:

Models M can't die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2cJrFDxzo8

replace Johnny Cage with "Model M"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the last ac3 patents finally expired so now we're one step closer to viewing and authoring dvds in a fully :rms2:-approved manner (the last mpeg-2 patents expire early next year). also, the last mp3 patent expires next month so you can finally tell turbonerds that ogg vorbis no longer serves any purpose in this world and they can get stuffed for suggesting it (tho thats already been true since opus was standardized...).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
MP3? That is a word I have heard in a long time. I moved to flac, long ago :)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whats opus

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Mr.Radar posted:

the last ac3 patents finally expired so now we're one step closer to viewing and authoring dvds in a fully :rms2:-approved manner (the last mpeg-2 patents expire early next year). also, the last mp3 patent expires next month so you can finally tell turbonerds that ogg vorbis no longer serves any purpose in this world and they can get stuffed for suggesting it (tho thats already been true since opus was standardized...).

even when AC3 patents fully expire VLC will still play it too quiet and distorted.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

do people really store their lossy audio in some turbonerd format instead of mp3 lel

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pagancow posted:

even when AC3 patents fully expire VLC will still play it too quiet and distorted.

im the lovely and hosed up pixels in this gif

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do people really store their lossy audio in some turbonerd format instead of mp3 lel

i dont even know what format my audio is in. spotify just plays it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

what's opus with you?? haha

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Lutha Mahtin posted:

proper gapless playback and better psychoacoustic model

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

hello old friend

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

im the lovely and hosed up pixels in this gif

im the hosed up onion rings in the bokeh balls

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I love using vlc and turning my computer volume down by half and then turning up the VideoLAN volume up 200% along with adjusting the brightness and contrast arbitrarily via the sloppy options to a degree that fits the need of my dying cfl monitor

come at me *puts up a fist or two*

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

I love using vlc and turning my computer volume down by half and then turning up the VideoLAN volume up 200%

helps with the noise floor. vlc has a better software amp than the one your computer come with

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the whines and moans my windows computer emits as I move the mouse cursor across a bright ie7 window makes the movie more dramatic

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bloody posted:

i dont even know what format my audio is in. spotify just plays it

spotify uses ogg

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-premieres-the-theater-of-the-future-with-new-cinema-screen-technology

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

sarnsung posted:

brightest colors and the deepest blacks at a nearly infinity:1 contrast ratio
gonna need to reads a couple of books to understand the concept of 'nearly infinity'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AtomD posted:

gonna need to reads a couple of books to understand the concept of 'nearly infinity'

every number is equally far from infinity, so therefore if any number can be described as "nearly infinity", all numbers can

v clever imo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

realtalk: just to put into perspective how important this is for movies:

1. HDR standard up to 10,000 nits in 10 or 12-bpc stored in PQ gamma
  2. outdoor digital billboards ~5,000 nits
  3. Consumer HDR TV in 2016 ~1200 nits
  4. OLED "HDR" 650 nits
  5. HTDV In a store, 500-600 nits brightness
  6. iPhone/iPad/HDTV at home, 350 nits
  7. youre dumb tn panel 250 nits
  8. a smart mans calibrated display 120 nits
  9. sRGB standard 80 nits dark room
  10. Laser View Dolby Vision Movie theater: 50 nits
  11. 2k Christie Digital projection 25 nits
  12. 2K Cristie Digital projection 3D Movie as seen through glasses ~17 nits

This is why Consumer HDR is so much better than anything out there, you literally have to be blinded by the AD MAN who spends INFINITY DOLLARS to sear mcdonalds onto your retinas to experience anything better. (lol like you get out and can see the actual sun)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I need an ipad with 10,000 glorious nits to watch netflix on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

realtalk: I would have never known about nits if it weren't for this thread.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

whats a nit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmgtfy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candela_per_square_metre

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

0.292 foot-lamberts

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

so that sarnsung thing is actually good?

I mean they used 4k right and everything

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

leyard had an 8K videowall at last year's NAB, it was very impressive. Cinema use of the technology makes sense, it's probably just taken this long to get the density/price to a point where it's competitive with projection when you have a fully light-controlled space.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i turn the brightness down on my screens because i like being able to see

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my lg monitor has an option to turn off the power led when it's getting a signal which is cool. i just checked and i have the brightness all the way down to zero which is odd, because i can still see what im typing.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

i was excited, then i saw that AC4 is part of the ATSC 3.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_AC-4

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i download flac just to transcode to aac using ffmpeg -c:a libfdk_aac

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

i was excited, then i saw that AC4 is part of the ATSC 3.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_AC-4

i download flac just to transcode to aac using ffmpeg -c:a libfdk_aac

:filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you can buy legal flacs, i never did but that's in the past and i just use spotify now

• Locked thread