Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

I've heard people talk about them positively, but a lot of online feedback looks really horrible and not worth the price.

I have the 6mm one for the Vive, and haven't had any problems with it. It's about as comfortable as the original foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rectus posted:

I have the 6mm one for the Vive, and haven't had any problems with it. It's about as comfortable as the original foam.

:same:

After very long sessions you kinda notice it more, but the default foam isn't super comfortable after 8h either so

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I've been using the cloth VR Covers with my Vive, and I like them a lot. They're comfy, absorbent (not in a gross feeling way like the stock foam), washable, and come with 2 per pack. The only negative I have is that they're a little fumbly to put on (they have tabs that you have to tuck between the foam pad and the velcro).

HTC Vive VR Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZZ3M8B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_93L2ybADE97AR

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have run out of USB ports. What is the recommended USB card that plays nice with the Vive?

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Are there still active players playing The Unspoken? Is it still worth buying?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rectus posted:

Thirding this. I'm quite happy with mine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tide posted:

I have run out of USB ports. What is the recommended USB card that plays nice with the Vive?

Inateck I believe

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Inateck is the one I use with my Rift and I haven't had any issues with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Expr...inateck+usb+hub

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

iceaim posted:

Are there still active players playing The Unspoken? Is it still worth buying?
I think there's a Discord for it, linked in the sidebar of the Oculus reddit. I still play every now and then, at peak times it's no problem to find players in my experience.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Virtual Desktop worth paying $14 versus the free Bigscreen?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't think it's worth it, no. Resolution is too low to get any work done.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Enos Cabell posted:

I think it is worth it because it performs better than Bigscreen for some newer non vr games. Although I wouldn't use it for work, I think everything is clearly readable on my desktop in virtual desktop. My main monitor is a 52 inch Sharp 1080p LCD tv from 2006, so that is probably why.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 29, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 for VR Cover. I got the first covers they made for the Vive and Rift. Sort of expensive for what they are, and the way they go on are a bit janky, but the pleather cover works on the vive as a wipable facepad that keeps other peoples face sweat from going into the stock foam nicely and it feels ok for longer use than even the stock foam.

The fabric comfort covers are not bad for both the Rift/Vive. However even on the rift it goes on sort of janky and while it definitly feels nicer than the stock foam itself, I cannot say it enough that I miss the About Face guy who kickstarted the covers for the DK2, then disappeared from the face of the earth. His Heather Collection covers were like cooled soft pads for your face that allowed me to use the DK2 for hours on end and I would pay $50 for a single one of those for both the Vive/Rift. I wish I didn't sell them all with my DK2 but I don't think they would have fit the current HMD's correctly.

I would like to get the replacement foam pads for both the Vive/Rift that are supposed to be memory foam or something from VRCovers, but I'm going to wait until they have a sale or something before I pull that trigger.

Still working on rebuilding my comp right now. If you have an ASUS board with ASMedia USB 3.X ports, make sure you get the latest drat driver incase it was that which killed my comp. Irritating to the max.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Noticed some really poor performance the other night while playing SPT. Hoped out of VR to notice my 970 drivers kept crashing.

Used this as an excuse to buy a 1080ti, which will be here on Thursday.

So excited to play Dirt Rally and Elite

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

virtual desktop owns bones

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bigscreen has gotten good enough that I'm at the point where if I want to virtualize a desktop I'm more apt to use that than Virtual Desktop. Mostly only use VD for the rare occasion that I want to watch a 360 video now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Unless you have more than 1 screen, then Bigscreen is sort of not there yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bigscreen has multiple monitor support now, and honestly I kind of despise the way VD handles them. Its such a pain in the rear end and you always have to reset your view unless you want to be looking straight at the seam between your monitors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they solve the overhead problem in Bigscreen? Running bigscreen would give me a performance hit in games that Virtual Desktop doesn't.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea Big Screen is really neat, but the performance hit was immense over what virtual desktop had.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Big 'ol anniversary sale going on in Oculus Home: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/1123667924446689/
A few bits in there worth picking up like Chronos. They also had a big bundle of 11 games for £70 but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared already. It had quite a lot of big titles, maybe someone made a mistake in there somewhere.
e: it's still accessible via direct link. This is odd https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/113646372509325/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 28, 2017

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I've only used ReVive the last couple of weeks, but noticed now the Oculus software shows me their store whenever I start up VR now. I'll allow it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

Big 'ol anniversary sale going on in Oculus Home: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/1123667924446689/
A few bits in there worth picking up like Chronos. They also had a big bundle of 11 games for £70 but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared already. It had quite a lot of big titles, maybe someone made a mistake in there somewhere.
e: it's still accessible via direct link. This is odd https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/113646372509325/
Not worth it. Just buy chronos, it's the only one worth playing from that list (maybe keep talking if you have a buddy, and darknet I guess if you really like puzzle games)

IMO it's a really crummy bunch of games / experiences from before people started putting out good stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Did they solve the overhead problem in Bigscreen? Running bigscreen would give me a performance hit in games that Virtual Desktop doesn't.
No, I think that's probably intrinsic to Bigscreen being a big bulky Unity app and VD being written at a lower level. I've never actually seen it make a meaningful impact on performance but I guess its possible.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Keep talking and DarkNet are free for GearVR. Both are good though.

I've still not beaten Chronos, though it is a great game. Good story from what I've seen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna get Defense Grid 2, I loved the first one.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

No, I think that's probably intrinsic to Bigscreen being a big bulky Unity app and VD being written at a lower level. I've never actually seen it make a meaningful impact on performance but I guess its possible.

Indeed. Unity is great for most 3D games, but it's not good for anything that needs performance. This is why Big Screen will never match Virtual Desktop. Another good virtual screen app written at a lower level is VR Toolbox. Supposedly VorpX trumps everything as a virtual screen if you can successfully inject it into the game's EXE since none of the other virtual screens use the injection method; they simply do a real time screen capture. Personally I've only used VorpX in VR mode rather than Virtual screen mode, and my experience with that has been quite good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iceaim posted:

Indeed. Unity is great for most 3D games, but it's not good for anything that needs performance. This is why Big Screen will never match Virtual Desktop. Another good virtual screen app written at a lower level is VR Toolbox. Supposedly VorpX trumps everything as a virtual screen if you can successfully inject it into the game's EXE since none of the other virtual screens use the injection method; they simply do a real time screen capture. Personally I've only used VorpX in VR mode rather than Virtual screen mode, and my experience with that has been quite good.

I'd love to try VorpX, but I don't really want to drop $40 on it when I don't even know that I'd like what it does.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well spoke too soon this week, VR Cover is having a Oculus Anniversary sale. $10 off the main Deluxe kit and discounts on other Oculus stuff. Bit on the deluxe kit and will report back how the different Velour and other pads feel and affect visuals.

Insert Zap Brannigan joke. I cannot think of Velour without him lol.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I have a VRCover standard edition I got off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Facia...eywords=vrcover
I have glasses that weren't a problem for the regular rift and I can still use them with the VRCover standard thin foam but no outer-cover. It does give a few more degrees of FOV as advertized and its much more comfortable than the factory material.
A+ would recommend!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Supposedly there's a sick nasty update for Oculus Home on GearVR that makes it look pretty, has anyone checked it out?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just tried looking for the re-center headset button irl cause my screen had been moved :negative:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I broke down and bought the Rock Band VR. It's actually pretty cool, and not as simplistic as the videos made it look.

Been a long time since I've played any GH/RB guitar though, my hand is cramping up already.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

rage-saq posted:

#1: Onward (SteamVR). 120 hours. THE VR Multiplayer FPS Game. Think Rainbow 6 / Counterstrike multiplayer done almost perfectly in VR. The best gun handling, the best FPS VR locomotion and some really good maps. Far and away #1 in my books and I can't recommend it enough, it just gets so many things "just right" its amazing. A major content update is due out this week with another map, some changes to loadouts and more.
Pavlov VR (SteamVR) is probably the next best multiplayer VR FPS game after Onward, but it plays very differently. Constant run and gun die and suddenly respawn but it feels kind of mushy compared to Onward.
FWIW, Onward is buggy, content-poor, and very slow to receive updates, and the things that it does get right have mostly already been copied by most other VR FPSs. It's also weird to describe it as CS when Pavlov is the game that actually implements a close clone of CS's game mode. Maybe you only ever tried the TDM mode?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So I had $50 Oculus store credit so I just bought Elite Dangerous. What's the best way to play this game? I see people with crazy dual joystick poo poo, is one enough to play it proper or should I use a gamepad or what?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bum the Sad posted:

So I had $50 Oculus store credit so I just bought Elite Dangerous. What's the best way to play this game? I see people with crazy dual joystick poo poo, is one enough to play it proper or should I use a gamepad or what?

For ~maximum immersion~ get ye a HOTAS setup, the folks in the E:D thread can probably recommend one. For actual gameplay though I found that all of the control schemes were remarkably equal, so preference prevails

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

I'd get a HOTAS since it's very space-simmy. I got a Thrustmaster HOTASx for like 50 bucks. Also, voice commands are really helpful since you can't see your buttons with a VR headset on. Worth downloading the Voice Attack trial at least. Not all that hard to set up - the main problem I had was that I didn't know poo poo about Elite so I had to figure out what all the commands and buttons actually did.

Once you get it all set up it's a really cool experience. I just wish I liked the actual game more.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I don't really know what a HOTAS is but I have this thing

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/extreme-3d-pro-joystick

It has a throttle. Is this gonna work?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

FWIW, Onward is buggy, content-poor, and very slow to receive updates, and the things that it does get right have mostly already been copied by most other VR FPSs. It's also weird to describe it as CS when Pavlov is the game that actually implements a close clone of CS's game mode. Maybe you only ever tried the TDM mode?

Onward is less buggy than the other games in its class. At the moment it is probably less buggy than SteamVR, especially if you have an Oculus.
It is content poor in the sense that it has one game mode, but it's got a ton of weapons and attachments and some maps that are very well done for a lasting multiplayer experience.
Fortunately on the content front there is a big patch going out this week with a new map, a new loadout system and a bunch of optimizations. Dante (the dev) has hinted that there might be other content additions he has not previously announced.
The most recent patch has been slow to come (~6 weeks) because of his stint at Valve which he said was good but ALSO because he has hired 5 deva and has been bringing them up to speed. New content should come much quicker henceforth.
I call it the CS of VR because it was a small indie release that hit the scene with a whole new multiplayer experience that there weren't many analogs for and really set the trend for games that follow.
As far as the other games you claim to have copied what Onward has done, it's true in a small sense but they come far from the degree of refinement and "rightness" that the others have attempted. Pavlov, Bullets and More, Art of War and Virtual Warfighter have copied the main movement and weapon interaction features from Onward but they are all fairly sloppy in their execution and still leave a lot to be desired.
Onward came out when everyone had written off positive motion-sickness free FPS-like experiences in VR as being inextricably linked to teleportation-only implementations, which Onward has soundly kicked to the curb. Now many games have implemented "Onward style" movement and even often call it such though I've yet to find one that does it quite as good.

Pavlov is probably the next closest one, where it largely nails the movement style though I still feel like my guy is moving through molasses despite the probably higher average speed. Guns are both a little more forgiving (grabbing and reloading is probably smoother) but aiming / bullet trajectories feels a lot sloppier.

I've played both gameplay modes in Pavlov and while there are parts of them that I like, I feel like the current state of maps on that game really hold the experience back. The maps range from so-so (data center) to embarrassingly poor (bridge) and hopefully they are polished and expanded and improve with time.
Something about the scale of the map modeling just feels off, like inconsistent or something. Some areas like hallways and stairwells feel kind of believable but then the rooms they feed into feel mis-proportioned.
The scale of some rooms in Onward aren't necessarily to scale but they feel like they have the right proportions, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I've been playing Elite in VR with my Xbox one controller. If you select the default or classic control option, you can hold down xyba to see shortcut menu options. From what I understand, that is everything you need for controls. I've had to touch type a few times when I wanted to search in the galaxy map though. I don't disagree that a hotas is best, I'm just being a cheap rear end until I get more into the game.

When I do get a hotas, it's gonna be a thrustmaster. They have the older model that is $50 and a new one which can connect to feet pedals for $70. The more expensive one doesn't seem worth it unless you have a PS4 or plan to use the pedals though. They also have one for $100 that can connect to the same pedals and is much nicer.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 30, 2017