Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Probably Jamal Crawford. Maybe Lou Williams.

James Harden is better by far than anyone else in the league at it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, and here he is compared to the teams that draw the most 3-point shooting fouls:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

I'll bet Harden has more than the rest of the league combined.

Not quite, but close enough. lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Harden is such a loving basketball genius. We are all lucky to be able to see this first hand.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

dokmo posted:

You lost the bet. So uh...you need to donate money to Doctors Without Borders to make up for your shame.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lowry was seemingly doing it every game, but no one compares to Harden.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

Strawberry Panda posted:

Dragic draws fouls from the 3 pt line once or twice per game. What other players have that particular skill?

Isaiah Thomas is really good at throwing up a 3pt attempt once he feels contact as his defender fights over the pick.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What is particularly impressive about Harden's numbers is that he throws up so many more 3pt shots than anyone else and still has the highest rate of drawn fouls on them. It's very impressive.

I still hate watching his foul baiting ways, though, despite their proven effectiveness.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Kibner posted:

What is particularly impressive about Harden's numbers is that he throws up so many more 3pt shots than anyone else and still has the highest rate of drawn fouls on them. It's very impressive.

But that's not it: he isn't drawing fouls on 3pt attempts, he's drawing the foul and then making a three point attempt. The other players are drawing fouls on close outs. Harden is drawing the foul in three point territory because he is an awesome pick and roll player. He waits for the defender to go over the screen and slows down to wait for the guy to stick his hand in and boom. There is no other player who has as quick a trigger as he does.

You can't go under screens because he'll kill you with the pull up. You can't switch because he'll iso your big and kill you off the dribble. So defenders go over screens and they have one goal in mind: we can't let him get going downhill. So they stick their hand in to grab him or slow him and that's it, they're dead.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Warriors VR sex coccoons are canon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

But that's not it: he isn't drawing fouls on 3pt attempts, he's drawing the foul and then making a three point attempt. The other players are drawing fouls on close outs. Harden is drawing the foul in three point territory because he is an awesome pick and roll player. He waits for the defender to go over the screen and slows down to wait for the guy to stick his hand in and boom. There is no other player who has as quick a trigger as he does.

Like this play, I assume?

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/harden101.mp4

Crabbe reaches over the pick and Harden immediately goes into his shooting motion, drawing contact.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This video is more obvious with LeBron making contact with his arm before Harden goes up:

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/harden4.mp4

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Kibner posted:

Like this play, I assume?

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/harden101.mp4

Crabbe reaches over the pick and Harden immediately goes into his shooting motion, drawing contact.

Look at the timing on that play beautiful. Capela barely drew contact before he made his dive and at the same split second Harden made his move. If Crabbe didn't foul there he would be left behind and that play ends in an easy lob.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

Okay, it's a cheap enough deal that it doesn't really matter too much but why sign a guy coming off a major injury

Lance on the Pacers is a really good player, unlike Lance everywhere else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Look at the timing on that play beautiful. Capela barely drew contact before he made his dive and at the same split second Harden made his move. If Crabbe didn't foul there he would be left behind and that play ends in an easy lob.

Harden's reaction there was immediate. It wouldn't look any better had Crabbe told him he was going to reach across his arms.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

Okay, it's a cheap enough deal that it doesn't really matter too much but why sign a guy coming off a major injury

Giving a guy that is on the street a multi-year deal because he's either not good enough or not healthy enough for the rest of the league (including bad teams like the Wolves and Pelicans) is not a good deal or that cheap.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's hard for a defender to man up Harden on the three point line because his grungy rear end beard distorts the space for the contest.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Also gently caress Lance Stephenson and the Pacers for signing him.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Libertine posted:

Also gently caress Lance Stephenson and the Pacers for signing him.

Why you gotta hate on my boy?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

$12M/3 is not that cheap to me for someone that wasn't good enough or healthy enough to stay on a team for more than a few months

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The 3rd year isn't guaranteed. But anyway, that's Lavoy Allen money so who cares.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pubic works project posted:

Why you gotta hate on my boy?

I think it's because he sexually assaulted a girl and threw his girlfriend down the stairs, probably.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

WhyteRyce posted:

$12M/3 is not that cheap to me for someone that wasn't good enough or healthy enough to stay on a team for more than a few months

4 million a year is really nothing in today's league

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

The Duggler posted:

The guy has been injured and playing on 10 day contracts. That's way more of a commitment than they needed to give him. It may not impact their cap situation or affect any other moves, but it's still a bad contract.

Also he's a piece of poo poo.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Harden's 3pt foul drawing ability will go down in history along with JJ Barea's "run really hard into a screen and fall down" and "fall down while being posted up" abilities

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Harden's 3pt foul drawing ability will go down in history along with JJ Barea's "run really hard into a screen and fall down" and "fall down while being posted up" abilities

These aren't comparable in any way. The latter are hard-to-call foul/nonfoul judgement calls. Harden is definitely being fouled on his threes since defenders are impeding his shooting motion. You may not like it but those are absolutely fouls.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The best play involving Harden is still the Harden Manu double flop.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
If JJ doesn't fall down when taking charges, he doesn't get calls.

I love that little dude, though, so don't trust me.

Those Harden fouls look a lot closer to rip throughs. He decides to shoot because the arm in there, rather than starting to shoot and being impeded.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

dokmo posted:

These aren't comparable in any way. The latter are hard-to-call foul/nonfoul judgement calls. Harden is definitely being fouled on his threes since defenders are impeding his shooting motion. You may not like it but those are absolutely fouls.

It's no more a foul than the rip through is a foul. Give it a couple years and the NBA will make it a non-shooting foul like it should be

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

The best play involving Harden is still the Harden Manu double flop.

The best part was everyone knowing it was going to happen and then it did.

havelock posted:

If JJ doesn't fall down when taking charges, he doesn't get calls.

I love that little dude, though, so don't trust me.

Those Harden fouls look a lot closer to rip throughs. He decides to shoot because the arm in there, rather than starting to shoot and being impeded.

A rip through is when you move your shooting motion into the person. Deciding to shoot when someone is in your grill isn't a rip through. Harden is reacting to the defender, but that's perfectly fine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Duggler posted:

$4M is not league minimum and I'd be scratching my head to see right now why Lance is worth $4M a year. I get the multi-year thing is just a game where you are basically getting a jump on the offseason by signing him now, but this summer who would give Lance anything other than a prove it camp deal?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

havelock posted:

Not a rip through.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
So rip through is the wrong phrase, but it's more that he aims to draw a foul rather than aiming to make a basket. That's totally within the rules, sure, but it offends my basketball aesthetic sensibilities.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

after being adjacent to people taking batshit crazy silicon valley crap seriously irl i cant 100% tell when people are being earnest with a sex coccoon and when they arent

WhyteRyce posted:

$4M is not league minimum and I'd be scratching my head to see right now why Lance is worth $4M a year. I get the multi-year thing is just a game where you are basically getting a jump on the offseason by signing him now, but this summer who would give Lance anything other than a prove it camp deal?

Larry Bird

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

havelock posted:

it offends my basketball aesthetic sensibilities.

OK but you're missing out. There are like three players in the league who can think quickly enough to do what he does. He isn't the fastest physical athlete but he is probably the quickest thinking athlete.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

dokmo posted:

OK but you're missing out. There are like three players in the league who can think quickly enough to do what he does. He isn't the fastest physical athlete but he is probably the quickest thinking athlete.

I don't deny it takes incredible skill to pull off - I think my lack of appreciation stems from how frustrating it is to see your team fall victim to it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think there was an article a while back about some advanced fitness metrics that they tested on Harden. Apparently he was by and large completely average by NBA standards, with one exception -- he could decelerate faster than anyone they had ever tested. I thought that was kinda nifty. Explains why some of his herky jerk moves and suddenly stopping to bait fouls is so effective.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

dokmo posted:

Just like JJ Barea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Harden doesn't fit into any of the standard templates for superstars. He's not preternaturally athletic. He is tough, but not notably so. He doesn't have a lot of endurance, he doesn't give 100%,, he doesn't always focus on what is happening. Nobody calls superstars "crafty", even white guys, but the thing that makes him special is absolutely his intelligence. We don't have a template for a thinking man's superstar, or a way of talking about them aside from "he's good but I don't like him."

• Locked thread