Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

???

I just have a drive full of 1k storage cells for small stacks of things, and then drives+ of larger cells for storing more amounts of stuff if I need, and I've never actually partitioned them. Yeah I know it's inefficient, technically, but I've never been in a position where resources were tight enough that there was no possible way to just make 10 1k cells.

I mean yes the way RS handles it is far better and I'm not gonna argue on that one, but the way people act about AE2 bugs me sometimes.
I know I could just make more storage and I'll probably not use it up but it's just one of those things I'm always fretting over, seeing a disk fill up prematurely because I've got iron ingots partitioned to 3 different drives, or i accidentally put a damaged wooden axe in there and took up too much space, or some poo poo. It's just one more thing in the back of my head and it's anal-retentive but it bugs me.

And again, RS just gets rid of all that poo poo and makes it simpler and easier. Convenience is the whole reason I use it in the first place.
RS+Storage Drawers for large quantities and I'm set forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Doesn't Storage Drawers have packing tape that you can use to move drawers?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I may have asked this before, but how does RS compare to RFTools?

In what way? They're mostly unrelated, but on the current topic of storage, RFTools has a fairly simple, though expandable with no automation that I'm aware of, storage which can cross dimensions and be remotely accessible. Refined Storage has simple storage, which is also expandable, and includes automation and machine and world interaction along with remote access and cross-dimension networks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's a convenience thing for me. The tape requires slimeballs, which I never have, and a taped drawer no longer shows its contents. It's easier for me to dolly everything over one a a time than use up two rolls of tape reorganizing​ the drawers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You have to tape up the drawers then knock them out with an axe, and IIRC you have to remove the tape manually after you place them again. It makes tape really nice for moving your entire storage network somewhere else but I prefer chest transporters/dollies for moving one or two drawers at a time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lolmer posted:

In what way? They're mostly unrelated, but on the current topic of storage, RFTools has a fairly simple, though expandable with no automation that I'm aware of, storage which can cross dimensions and be remotely accessible. Refined Storage has simple storage, which is also expandable, and includes automation and machine and world interaction along with remote access and cross-dimension networks.

I meant in terms of general storage use, I guess. I know that mods don't like to slot into specific categories, but I was wondering how RS's storage systems compared to RFTools. Especially given how RFTools seems to be the more popular mod.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I meant in terms of general storage use, I guess. I know that mods don't like to slot into specific categories, but I was wondering how RS's storage systems compared to RFTools. Especially given how RFTools seems to be the more popular mod.

RFtools is popular because of its dimension generation capabilities, everything else is just sort of an interesting sidenote to most people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Duke posted:

Any of AE2's annoyances on their own are not a huge deal, but the combination of the inscriber being funky to automate, the plates, drive formatting, crystal growth, networks and sub networks, perhaps too much junk to make autocrafters work, etc make me question why the gently caress does storage have to have this much junk around it

Refined Storage just works

I would rather use the funky Extra Utilities chest storage consolidation thing than AE2 at this point

This is the natural evolution of a Minecraft mod, the first version is always the most useful. New versions of a mod always become more complicated and tedious, never more user friendly. AE was originally created as an alternative to the overly obtuse system of sorting pipes and Barrels from Red Power and the complex autocrafting from Buildcraft/Logistics pipes. But as time went on the terrible Minecraft community got their influence in, and AE just kept going more and more obtuse!

The end of the life-cycle is for the original useful mod to be cloned. Refined Storage and Storage Drawers will gradually become crappier as time goes on, until they too are replaced by Evolved Storage+.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Weren't barrels from Factorization?

I actually liked all the other stuff in Factorization, even if it was a poorly-documented mess.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Weren't barrels from Factorization?

I actually liked all the other stuff in Factorization, even if it was a poorly-documented mess.

Well yeah the barrels were from Factorization, but its not like I was using that mod on its own.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I don't care what other people think, AE2 is and will always be my favorite all-in-one cool digital storage solution. And I love the controller multiblocks and textures and stuff.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rutibex posted:

This is the natural evolution of a Minecraft mod, the first version is always the most useful. New versions of a mod always become more complicated and tedious, never more user friendly. AE was originally created as an alternative to the overly obtuse system of sorting pipes and Barrels from Red Power and the complex autocrafting from Buildcraft/Logistics pipes. But as time went on the terrible Minecraft community got their influence in, and AE just kept going more and more obtuse!

The end of the life-cycle is for the original useful mod to be cloned. Refined Storage and Storage Drawers will gradually become crappier as time goes on, until they too are replaced by Evolved Storage+.

I think TE 5 might punch a hole or two in your argument there.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

excuse me, your ducts don't occupy one space - r/feedthebeast

I agree. TE4 had some awkward design choices and TE5 seems to have rectified them. TE gets better every version and not more tedious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingLemming posted:

You made Teleport Pipes more tedious :argh:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Khorne posted:

I agree. TE4 had some awkward design choices and TE5 seems to have rectified them. TE gets better every version and not more tedious.

I completely agree with the awkwardness. I was trying to differentiate augments from traditional upgrades and it just went a bit off. I feel like I have the balance a bit better this go round.

Rutibex posted:

You made Teleport Pipes more tedious :argh:

How so?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Khorne posted:

Watch Serifina decry this as a bad thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Making a Tesseract requires several exotic materials, two different machines (liquid Transposer and Induction Smelter), and some kind of power source for the machines. This on the other hand is a recipe for a teleport pipe:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rutibex posted:

Making a Tesseract requires several exotic materials, two different machines (liquid Transposer and Induction Smelter), and some kind of power source for the machines. This on the other hand is a recipe for a teleport pipe:

Have you heard of the song Let It Go?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I don't want a movie of Tex Mex impaling people with shafts of uu-matter and prancing about with his pet CC turtle.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Rutibex posted:

Wow that sounds really tedious, I can hardly imagine such inconvenience *goes back to making redstone engines to attach to every single wooden pipe*

Tesseracts requiring two machines to create hardly seems that tedious when (a) those machines have other uses than just making tesseracts and (b) once the machines are set up all you need to do is put in ender stones, power and a frame to make more tesseracts. That seems a lot less tedious than crafting diamond gears (5 steps each) to me, especially since I also now have machines for making lava and redstone batteries/conduits, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I mean if all you want is easy teleport pipes, you can just cheat them in or change the recipe. No one is gonna judge.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bit odd to poo poo on TE tbh, for me it's been one of the most solid consistent mods around, the only thing that bugs the poo poo out of me is the byproducts when pulverising cobble/gravel/sand, just makes more spaghetti when I'm setting up my auto-sieving setup.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Bit odd to poo poo on TE tbh, for me it's been one of the most solid consistent mods around, the only thing that bugs the poo poo out of me is the byproducts when pulverising cobble/gravel/sand, just makes more spaghetti when I'm setting up my auto-sieving setup.

Nullifiers and the upgrade that eliminates all byproducts are good here. You can even have the machine pump byproducts out a different side.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I love weird little bugs that can almost wreck hours of work. I was using the crates from Actually Additions and noticed that Basic Inventory Sorting was having some issues with them. First items disappeared and then it started duping them when I would sort using my middle mouse button. Specifially in this instance it was duping some AIOT's and making some diamond vanish. Then after gathering more diamond I made 2 of them into Mana Diamonds put them in the crate sorted and it doubled the mana diamonds and ate an AIOT. So yeah that was fun. Also if anyone was interested I got some Natura trees to grow but for some reason Maple and Tigerwood still don't want to even when I throw a stack of bone meal at them.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nullifiers and the upgrade that eliminates all byproducts are good here. You can even have the machine pump byproducts out a different side.

Is this in 1.10 or 1.7? I usually just stick a trash can on one side and have the secondary output to there but if there's a setting on the actual machine that lets me stop it then I can make things look so much better.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Is this in 1.10 or 1.7? I usually just stick a trash can on one side and have the secondary output to there but if there's a setting on the actual machine that lets me stop it then I can make things look so much better.

https://ftbwiki.org/Augment:_Nullification_Chamber in the 1.7.10 version.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

Bit odd to poo poo on TE tbh

Oh I'm not making GBS threads on TE, I love TE its great! I mean, obviously I could just change the recipe myself if I wanted to. Thats half of the point of a Minecraft mod. Its supposed to give you new toys, but also new tasks. Otherwise all mods could easily be replaced by WorldEdit commands, which are much more powerful and cost nothing. But thats not the point of survival mode, right?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks man, this changes everything, I can even use the first tier of machines as I don't need the redstone controls for anything :)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Playstation 4 posted:

Watch Serifina decry this as a bad thing.
Then I guess you'll be shocked to find out that I think TE5 is extremely well-designed and that my base on the FTB Beyond server I play on is largely focused around it, won't you?

I am not an advocate of tedium which you apparently think I am. I am an advocate of gameplay. Most mods tend to be written from a "I want to do this cool thing" first perspective and actual gameplay and balance comes in as an afterthought. I'm not a huge fan of tons of nested crafting recipes unless the mod also gives you a way to reasonably manage them (this is actually a thing I brought up previously about TE5: No Machinist's Workbench makes doing higher-tier upgrades a little more time-consuming than I like.)

AE2 is the perennial sticking point that I disagree with people on. AE1 was incredibly powerful, allowing you to automate an entire base with very little thought or effort. Once you set up the autocrafting multiblock, you never had to do any real thinking to automate anything again, just run cable over, slap on imports and exports where appropriate, throw a new pattern in the machine, and you're done. Sometimes you'd have to up your power generation - except Big Reactors already provided absurd amounts of power for little effort.

AE2 differentiated up things by adding the channel system, requiring you to put some effort into building your infrastructure to automate things. It's still just as powerful as AE1, if not moreso, but it requires effort, planning, and thought to make maximum usage of it. Meanwhile, it also made it easier to get into (no controller required for initial systems, processors take less materials than they used to and no having to make the knife, autocrafting is actually cheaper to get started and scales up surprisingly well as your needs grow). Automating things for AE2 is not very difficult at all, if you pay attention to what you're doing. I have processor autocrafting up, using five inscribers, one ME Interface, one ME Import Bus, some EIO item conduits and a few hoppers (which could be replaced by more conduits). Oh, and three patterns. If I want it faster I can add speed upgrades to the inscribers. Ultimately, the mod itself became more interesting to use, while actually smoothing progression and making it scale up much more organically.

Meanwhile, as I've said before, I think the meteor hunting was actually a poor gameplay choice. Being forced to hunt for meteors can be very frustrating and the odds of getting all the presses can be rather low. Adding a recipe to make the presses and skystone is a better choice. I go back and forth on charged certus quartz - I've never had a problem finding some but I know people have.

In regard to TE specifically: What primarily changed was how you upgrade machines (rather than either making the right tier machine frame or picking up the machine and upgrading it via crafting, you slap it with the crafted upgrade instead - but it's still the same system, just done in a saner manner), upgrades got expanded to be much more standardized and applied across the whole of the mod, and augments were expanded and improved upon. In particular, dynamos are now much more interesting to use, as they scale up very well and can be specialized if you have the means to do so. The core design of the mod wasn't changed, but the overall gameplay of it was improved.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rutibex posted:

Oh I'm not making GBS threads on TE, I love TE its great! I mean, obviously I could just change the recipe myself if I wanted to. Thats half of the point of a Minecraft mod. Its supposed to give you new toys, but also new tasks. Otherwise all mods could easily be replaced by WorldEdit commands, which are much more powerful and cost nothing. But thats not the point of survival mode, right?

Or finding out ways around the usual method of attack that's either more efficient or less complicated. Like for example tesseracts in many mod packs can be filled by Tinker's Construct smeltery melting 4 ender pearls and pouring it on a frame on top of a table. Or the smeltery itself is able to make enderium without requiring Pyrotheum Dust and the usual TE machines. I've set up an automation process a couple times for that latter interaction, mainly because it's a simpler construction (no need to pulverize coal and netherrack or grind blazes/craft from melted redstone and glowstone). And I've done the latter when I'm starting into heavy automation.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright I've never used Natura before but for some reason I can't get Maple and Tigerwood saplings to grow I've looked at their various pages and they don't need any special soil so any ideas on what would cause them to not grow after multiple in game days?

Like I have a small oak tree farm nearby and I've harvested it twice and the Maple and Tigerwood saplings have not grown once.

I have the same problem with Silverbell.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

AceClown posted:

Thanks man, this changes everything, I can even use the first tier of machines as I don't need the redstone controls for anything :)

Yeah, this is why I removed them as augments in 1.10. It presented a false choice and was dumb all around.

Also - don't worry if it looks like Secondaries still accumulate - the augment only voids ones that can't stack - either if it's the wrong type (which it'll let the machine proceed), or if there are just too many. So you'll still probably end up with a stack of *something* in the output slot, but that won't affect how the machine operates.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Then I guess you'll be shocked to find out that I think TE5 is extremely well-designed and that my base on the FTB Beyond server I play on is largely focused around it, won't you?

I am not an advocate of tedium which you apparently think I am. I am an advocate of gameplay. Most mods tend to be written from a "I want to do this cool thing" first perspective and actual gameplay and balance comes in as an afterthought. I'm not a huge fan of tons of nested crafting recipes unless the mod also gives you a way to reasonably manage them (this is actually a thing I brought up previously about TE5: No Machinist's Workbench makes doing higher-tier upgrades a little more time-consuming than I like.)

AE2 is the perennial sticking point that I disagree with people on. AE1 was incredibly powerful, allowing you to automate an entire base with very little thought or effort. Once you set up the autocrafting multiblock, you never had to do any real thinking to automate anything again, just run cable over, slap on imports and exports where appropriate, throw a new pattern in the machine, and you're done. Sometimes you'd have to up your power generation - except Big Reactors already provided absurd amounts of power for little effort.

AE2 differentiated up things by adding the channel system, requiring you to put some effort into building your infrastructure to automate things. It's still just as powerful as AE1, if not moreso, but it requires effort, planning, and thought to make maximum usage of it. Meanwhile, it also made it easier to get into (no controller required for initial systems, processors take less materials than they used to and no having to make the knife, autocrafting is actually cheaper to get started and scales up surprisingly well as your needs grow). Automating things for AE2 is not very difficult at all, if you pay attention to what you're doing. I have processor autocrafting up, using five inscribers, one ME Interface, one ME Import Bus, some EIO item conduits and a few hoppers (which could be replaced by more conduits). Oh, and three patterns. If I want it faster I can add speed upgrades to the inscribers. Ultimately, the mod itself became more interesting to use, while actually smoothing progression and making it scale up much more organically.

Meanwhile, as I've said before, I think the meteor hunting was actually a poor gameplay choice. Being forced to hunt for meteors can be very frustrating and the odds of getting all the presses can be rather low. Adding a recipe to make the presses and skystone is a better choice. I go back and forth on charged certus quartz - I've never had a problem finding some but I know people have.

In regard to TE specifically: What primarily changed was how you upgrade machines (rather than either making the right tier machine frame or picking up the machine and upgrading it via crafting, you slap it with the crafted upgrade instead - but it's still the same system, just done in a saner manner), upgrades got expanded to be much more standardized and applied across the whole of the mod, and augments were expanded and improved upon. In particular, dynamos are now much more interesting to use, as they scale up very well and can be specialized if you have the means to do so. The core design of the mod wasn't changed, but the overall gameplay of it was improved.

lol

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I love weird little bugs that can almost wreck hours of work. I was using the crates from Actually Additions and noticed that Basic Inventory Sorting was having some issues with them. First items disappeared and then it started duping them when I would sort using my middle mouse button. Specifially in this instance it was duping some AIOT's and making some diamond vanish. Then after gathering more diamond I made 2 of them into Mana Diamonds put them in the crate sorted and it doubled the mana diamonds and ate an AIOT. So yeah that was fun. Also if anyone was interested I got some Natura trees to grow but for some reason Maple and Tigerwood still don't want to even when I throw a stack of bone meal at them.

Are you sure it duped/destroyed the items, and didn't just desynch your client so it looked like you had more/missed some?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

:rolleyes:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I miss teleport pipes too, tbh

Serifina is right on about AE2, I'll also reiterate the power of the interface is unmatched by anything in RS unless they added something. but, if you're not playing an "expert" pack that requires you to automate tons of crap then it probably doesn't matter and you can keep using RS with it's cheap knock off feel and crappy crafting monitor

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rutibex posted:

This is true, although let's at least acknowledge that the Tesseract is way the hell more powerful than those in that it does all 3 types of transport in a single block, has redstone control, and public/private channels*.

It's not quite apples to oranges, it's more grapes to wine. One of them is quite refined, even if you think it involved stomping the hell out of the original. ;)

*All of this will be changing somewhat in that I want to make the Tesseracts a bit less fiddly and more intuitive, which is something that TP pipes absolutely had.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

KingLemming posted:

*All of this will be changing somewhat in that I want to make the Tesseracts a bit less fiddly and more intuitive, which is something that TP pipes absolutely had.

How are 7.10 tesseracts fiddly? Add channel for whatever, set tesseract to channel, set input/output types you want, done. They're completely and totally awesome and I've probably used at least a few hundred over my 7.10 career.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
1.7 TE Tesseract may have required using alot of different machines, but that was because it was the end-game doohicky and TE gated progression behind getting tiers of different types of machinery. Tier 2 was alloys like invar which required either an induction smelter or pulverizer, tier 3 was destabilized redstone & glowstone / liquified ender which required the magma crucible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dareon posted:

I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

MA doesn't integrate with Agricraft at all. 1.10 Agricraft is in a bit of a situation right now where they changed up how the recipes are handled and they seem to be trying to crowdsource new plants, but there's just not enough 1.10 players to get the massive compatibility they had in 1.7.