Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

extra stout posted:

Yes, you can use mithril coins (a newer in game currency) to mail most things bought from the store with LOTRO points (formerly called Turbine points, what you have a lot of). Though I am torn between asking you to please give the game another go with us or begging you to buy and mail enough housing writs to buy the kin it's own island in Belfalas (this really exists now). Kind of you to do, but maybe you'd want to play again.

Either option would involve making a character on Landroval (our server, American) and finishing the tutorial that takes you to about level 7. Unfortunately I think there are only a couple of Euro goons playing on the Euro servers and they haven't made a kin or posted here about it in years

I'm kinda tempted to get back into this, since I really loved the story and setting. And the game looks surprisingly good for such an old title and I'm not invested in any mmos atm.

Reinstalling now...

Also what's that Akamai stuff again ? I remember from far back that it was some torrent client, which always ran and sucked up bandwidth, even when Lotro was not on. Should I uninstall that later or do I have to keep it on my system ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

I'm kinda tempted to get back into this, since I really loved the story and setting. And the game looks surprisingly good for such an old title and I'm not invested in any mmos atm.

Reinstalling now...

Also what's that Akamai stuff again ? I remember from far back that it was some torrent client, which always ran and sucked up bandwidth, even when Lotro was not on. Should I uninstall that later or do I have to keep it on my system ?

If they're using another one of those third party file hosts as an installer then you can always uninstall it at soon as you have the client installed, Steam or the stand alone launcher can update themselves just fine.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Ah ok, uninstalled that Akamai stuff now that the client is finally done updating.

Looks like I have accumulated 33500 Lotro bucks since my last login 2 or 3 year ago. No idea if that's a lot or not and what to spend it on. Gonna make a char on Landroval now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Let us know what your character name is. I've been back quite regularly Eurotime. We'll add you as a friend and if anyone sees you around they can add you in.

I think you need to get through the tutorial which is level 7 or 10? Someone's probably already mentioned it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Will do, as soon as I get some time to play.

Just took a glimpse into my inventory. Half my bags are used already on a brandnew character with stuff from preorders, year 1-9 gift boxes, anniversaries and so on.....are these crystals any good ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 28, 2017

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yes, but keep it until you reach level 100. You have enough points to buy some pretty extensive vault space with plenty of points left over!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Just noticed they still won't let us transfer chars between regions. So if I really begin playing again on US it will be a fresh start. No big deal, I never had a char past level 60.

How do the Beornings play and which class is the least button intensive nowadays ?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

Ah ok, uninstalled that Akamai stuff now that the client is finally done updating.

Looks like I have accumulated 33500 Lotro bucks since my last login 2 or 3 year ago. No idea if that's a lot or not and what to spend it on. Gonna make a char on Landroval now.

Holy poo poo haha. I feel like your idea and my friendly advice can combine. I think you could buy two islands and still unlock all the content in the loving game with those points. If you're still interested in helping the kin out, add my beorning (Grodhir) and my friend (Grimhesric) to your friends list and we'll work something out.

In return for a kin island I can give you gold and we will name the library inside the kin hall after you or call it Hammer Island or something, then you live in forever through your legacy just like when rich people donate a big bench to hiking trails.

I only actively play two main characters and my new one is a beorning so to answer your question they are a shapeshifting class that builds up 'wrath' (their energy) in man form, then in bear form they're a bit more fun because they have an AOE damage ability and an AOE heal, but once you run out of wrath you need to shift back to man form again. They're very easy to level up, but in the end game they balance out and are mostly good survival healers, as in they heal themselves and others and are hard to kill. They're not the best tanks or the best damage at 105 but they can do those if you choose.

The most button intensive class is warden, other than that they can all be pretty simple. Hunter doesn't need to use most of their buttons. Champion uses a couple more than they do. If you're playing casually you have loads of options and a lot of it doesn't get hard til the end game.

bombhand posted:

Yes, but keep it until you reach level 100. You have enough points to buy some pretty extensive vault space with plenty of points left over!

Definitely this, just keep it in a safe vault til 100, you'll get a second one from the book quest around level 102? So you never have to buy that particular rare item upgrade as long as you don't sell or delete those.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Sounds good, I could be the guild's wealthy benefactor who makes a horribly racist remark during the library opening speech, but no one dares to speak up cause of the huge donation every couple of years. "Those halflings. We're gonna build a wall between Gondor and the Shire to protect us from their pipe weed cartels !".

I had a level 50ish Warden on Evernight and really enjoyed the class, but I want something with some aoe utility that is really casual to play and level. I found Champions to be very easy cause of their aoes, so if Beornings can aoe too, then leveling and questing should be a breeze. With a programmable keyboard Warden was pretty great though.

I guess I will just bumble around with various classes for now, to get a feel for the game again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

I guess I will just bumble around with various classes for now, to get a feel for the game again.

On the tougher end I feel you have stuff like Loremaster, Runekeepr, and Warden. The first two are fairly fragile and while you can cheat the whole game through using the LM's pet you won't really learn how to play the class, which happened to me. I personally find the RK insufferably squishy.

Guardians don't die, it's pretty amazing, but they fight slowly.

Hammerstein posted:

which class is the least button intensive nowadays ?

I'd say hunter is least button intensive. I use maybe... 6 skills tops with them and generally just 4. It's a relaxing class and the teleportation is great, though Warden had that too. You have enough survivability to take on one or two mobs at a time, and everything dies pretty quickly.

I have a champion (near lvl 50) that I play defensively (that is to say poorly in the blue tree). I should bother to figure how to play a yellow tree AOE/or red champ single target.

Any advice on that? I feel I'm sorely underequipped and my crit stat is miserably low.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 28, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I just want to speak in defense of the Warden for a moment. The class gets a somewhat deserved reputation for complexity, and there is a monstrous and confusing chart floating around there that describes all the different gambits you can do. While an expert warden knows them all intimately, a 'good enough' warden is one of the most powerful solo players in the game and only needs a handful. That the gambits are mostly repeating patterns is worth noting too - you aren't reinventing the wheel here.

A warden out there leveling on their own can grab 4-6 on-level mobs, tank the damage effectively, and have them all drop at the same time by rotating through Brink of Victory (fi-sh-fi), Surety of Death (fi-sh-fi-sh), and Desolation (fi-sh-fi-sh-fi). That's 2 buttons and you've wiped out a room full of enemies. If you're fighting a strong single target, swap the shield for the spear button. Plus you're wearing medium armor and have a shield, you have a run speed buff and the ability to instantly muster to all the important areas with no cooldown, you have a ranged weapon in the javelin that is just as good as your melee attacks, and when you're all growed up you are an acceptable tank in groups with some retraining.

If you're leveling and spending most of your time solo, I don't think you can do much better than a warden. And because the class has such a high skill ceiling if you choose to reach for it, you can be a very impressive group member who fills a number of roles in later content.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Actually the best solo character is a burglar because even though you can never fight anything bigger than a signature mob, you can sneak past everyone.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I was considering picking the game back up after a long, long break. I have the moria expansion and about 5500 bux. Any advice on what to spend my monopoly money on? I was thinking quest packs, but I want to wait for a sale on those, they're expensive!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I see the horse combat hasn't gotten much better (although I guess it's easier to kill stuff now?). Does that go away after rohan or are they still trying to integrate that with future content?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Bobfly posted:

I was considering picking the game back up after a long, long break. I have the moria expansion and about 5500 bux. Any advice on what to spend my monopoly money on? I was thinking quest packs, but I want to wait for a sale on those, they're expensive!

Barter wallet upgrade and Bag upgrade are always very useful.

As for expansion I'm not sure, but if you start back from scratch you still have a long time before you are out of Moria.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

The Bramble posted:

I just want to speak in defense of the Warden for a moment. The class gets a somewhat deserved reputation for complexity, and there is a monstrous and confusing chart floating around there that describes all the different gambits you can do. While an expert warden knows them all intimately, a 'good enough' warden is one of the most powerful solo players in the game and only needs a handful. That the gambits are mostly repeating patterns is worth noting too - you aren't reinventing the wheel here.

A warden out there leveling on their own can grab 4-6 on-level mobs, tank the damage effectively, and have them all drop at the same time by rotating through Brink of Victory (fi-sh-fi), Surety of Death (fi-sh-fi-sh), and Desolation (fi-sh-fi-sh-fi). That's 2 buttons and you've wiped out a room full of enemies. If you're fighting a strong single target, swap the shield for the spear button. Plus you're wearing medium armor and have a shield, you have a run speed buff and the ability to instantly muster to all the important areas with no cooldown, you have a ranged weapon in the javelin that is just as good as your melee attacks, and when you're all growed up you are an acceptable tank in groups with some retraining.

If you're leveling and spending most of your time solo, I don't think you can do much better than a warden. And because the class has such a high skill ceiling if you choose to reach for it, you can be a very impressive group member who fills a number of roles in later content.

I hate playing Wardens myself, but one of my greatest Lotro memories is from a DG 5-man run back when SoM was still current content. We had a female elf Warden tanking for us, and everything went fine until we hit a boss that obliterated the rest of us in very short order and was still at 75% health. We all stood there in awe as she scream-stabbed this guy to death over the course of 10 minutes or so. *That's* what a well played Warden is capable of.

Hammerstein posted:

The consensus is to buy Barter Wallet, Shared Storage and enough content to get you through any level range. In particular, Evendim & Moria are considered to be a must-haves.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Barter wallet owns and really the game has so many currencies now that not having it, and running out of bag space will annoy you before you even make it to level 30. Agreeing with all the above.

So the Paypal problem is fixed in the sense that you can now use it again, the issue is that all of us who paid and didn't get our Paypal purchased in game points, VIP, etc, still mostly do not have it.

They gave me a one week VIP code because I complained an assload, and now I saw this on the forums. Gotta admit even when they gently caress up, SSG is making it up to people with more sincerity than Turbine ever did.

quote:

For those of you who attempted to purchase VIP during this issue: We will be granting you one free month of VIP access.

For those of you who attempted to purchase points during this issue: We will be applying an extra 1000 points to your account.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I have a nagging urge to make a new Hobbit Hunter because I love Hobbits and I've actually never really played a hunter in this game.

One question I do have since I haven't kept up with this game, is it possible to track wood and ore at the same time? I always liked going Explorer for the money but I kind of hated how I could only track one at a time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Still just one.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Darn, oh well. I'm not too crazy on tradeskills anyway. I just wanna shoot orcs as a Hobbit, that's the real important part.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Are tradeskills a big boon in this game? I don't really feel like going into them, just want to explore the world and yell at some baddies. Am I missing out on a lot?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bobfly posted:

Am I missing out on a lot?

no

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Cool.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Despite my annoyance with wanting to craft everything and quickly running out of room to stash all my crafting items in the bank I found myself spending time growing pipeweed. PIPEWEED! :downs:

EDIT: Crafting materials stack to 500 now? :toot:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
If on the off chance you do need something crafted there're dozens of old timers with maxed out crafters lying around. Just shout out.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
How about the dosh, are things gonna be tight without gathering?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bobfly posted:

How about the dosh, are things gonna be tight without gathering?

Don't think so. Honestly there's almost nothing to spend money on while leveling other than repairs, since you get most of your equipment as quest rewards. (A few pieces of rep gear might be worth buying, but they tend to be pretty cheap.) My one pro tip for making money is to always remember to open the scrolls you get while adventuring once you're back at a vendor--the recipes they contain sell at vendors for several times more than the scrolls themselves do.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
The best essences (slotted armour parts) in the game can only be created by max level crafter. You can purchase them from crafter or the AH tho.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

AskYourself posted:

The best essences (slotted armour parts) in the game can only be created by max level crafter. You can purchase them from crafter or the AH tho.

But keep in mind that absolutely no solo content in the game requires gear anywhere close to this, so only worry about it if you care about running endgame group content.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

But keep in mind that absolutely no solo content in the game requires gear anywhere close to this, so only worry about it if you care about running endgame group content.

This is no longer entirely true, because the endgame solo content is being rebalanced to require some of these items (though you get them through the book quests). The bartering at the Host of the West Camp in North Ithilien has three-slot gold jewelry that counts as the strongest solo equipment. Also, anyone looking to pick up specific crafting items should chime in with their class and level. I've got a character maxed in every profession so I'll throw a few items your way if you're looking for a power up.

We don't have much of an offline place of gathering outside this thread, so could everyone include their character names the next time they post? Trying to get a list together. I'm Grimhesric in game.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Nazgun 105 LM
Maxed Master Scholar

Jaia 105 LM
Maxed Metalsmith

Daia 67 Runekeeper
Maxed Weaponsmith

Butan 35 Minstrel
Maxed Master Jeweller

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gracia Stabbiton
105 Hobbit Burglar
I think I'm the profession that finds wood and makes it into better wood, and also kills animals and makes them into leather hats or whatever, and can mine stuff (but I'm bad at mining ATM)

Oorah

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Felspeth - maxed Woodworker
Holiwise - maxed Farmer and Cook

Probably best to try tagging me here though, I only log in occasionally

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Won't have much time to play before the weekend, but it's amazing to play again after such a long time and notice how excellent and thematic Lotro's sound and music is. Even when compared to 2017 titles.

Brave New World posted:

The consensus is to buy Barter Wallet, Shared Storage and enough content to get you through any level range. In particular, Evendim & Moria are considered to be a must-haves.

Only thing I'm not sure about is how many bank slots I currently have, won't find out before Bree I guess.

But the life time sub gets you access to pretty much everything and I bought all past expansions, even during the years I wasn't playing. This sounds kinda weird, but I mostly did this to support the game. Lotro is the mmo I probably love the most, but play the least.

This is what the overview of my Turbine account looks like, and I'm not sure if it even displays everything. 2011 is the reg date since that was the time I got transferred from EU to US. My VIP sub has 20 years left on it :dance:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 31, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

Won't have much time to play before the weekend, but it's amazing to play again after such a long time and notice how excellent and thematic Lotro's sound and music is. Even when compared to 2017 titles.

Only thing I'm not sure about is how many bank slots I currently have, won't find out before Bree I guess.

But the life time sub gets you access to pretty much everything and I bought all past expansions, even during the years I wasn't playing. This sounds kinda weird, but I mostly did this to support the game. Lotro is the mmo I probably love the most, but play the least.

This is what the overview of my Turbine account looks like, and I'm not sure if it even displays everything. 2011 is the reg date since that was the time I got transferred from EU to US. My VIP sub has 20 years left on it :dance:

I forgot about transfers annoying some old schoolers, on the American side I remember we all got some 3 day ban to avoid us trying to log in while our data was moved and admittedly I was in the group of nerds who was slightly bummed out they couldn't just rename it a "three day transfer lock" because somehow I have gone ten years now without any real bans.

Still it was a great way to save the game, unless someone is just going to donate them a super bowl commercial narrowing it down to 5 US and 5 EU servers was the best way to make sure you always ride past a dozen people when you enter Bree. It just feels good even when you go a week without inviting any of them to a group.

And to be a cheap bastard even though it was your offer: If you still don't mind donating housing writs for a kin island would you mind posting your Landroval character names so Grodhir or Grimhesric can contact you in game? If you decide not to, we can still give you a kin invite and some gold and items to welcome you back.

The 10th anniversary hasn't had anymore news except for them patching in the new 10 or so cosmetic pets into the games collection panel early, but to repeat last months news: There will be new items, possibly a new game, and definitely some devs and GMs in the game streaming it on Twitch this year, so it will be the biggest anniversary event yet. I believe the real date is April 10th, but the in game date isn't confirmed yet. Probably some 12 day period around that date.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I rolled a burglar named Flambras for now. It's probably not the class I plan to play though, but so I can at least have someone in kin chat til I decide.

Where in the store are those housing writs ? Do I have to be a certain level until they show up ?

Besides, were Silverlode and Whittywindle closed down in the last years ? I just noticed I had a couple of free transfers sitting around and those servers are no longer in the list. I rolled a couple of name placeholders on them when I last tried to get into the game, guess I will take them to Landroval now. ^

Edit: transfer was painless and almost instant. Got a level 10 champ named Helmbrand ready for invite. Considering the 10th anniversary: since that is almost around the corner I want to wait before making big investments, I guess the store should have some nice bargains around anniversary time and that might save a lot of points when buying housing stuff. Can't wait for the 10-year giftbox, just opened the 9-year one and got a cool cloak, hope the 10th is something awesome. :dance:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

extra stout posted:

I forgot about transfers annoying some old schoolers, on the American side I remember we all got some 3 day ban to avoid us trying to log in while our data was moved and admittedly I was in the group of nerds who was slightly bummed out they couldn't just rename it a "three day transfer lock" because somehow I have gone ten years now without any real bans.

I remember trying to rejoin the game during that period and was alarmed to see that I was "banned." They hurt my feelings. :(

Now that you've mentioned the 10 year anniversary I feel like I should re-up just for the heck of it since I was a beta tester. At the least I can go through all my characters and do some bank cleaning.

EDIT: The installer needs to check for DirectX 9. :cripes:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 31, 2017

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
I haven't touched this game in a while, think I might start back up cause it seems like it's got some life in it still and it'll be a good game to play on slow nights when I'm at work since it'll run on my totally not designed for any game newer than 8 years old laptop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I resubbed for now to be active when the anniversary arrives. I have $1300 LOTRO bucks... somehow. I think the only expansion I have is Moria. Anything in particular I should buy, especially things that might benefit a non-sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I resubbed for now to be active when the anniversary arrives. I have $1300 LOTRO bucks... somehow. I think the only expansion I have is Moria. Anything in particular I should buy, especially things that might benefit a non-sub?

I think Tony need a fan for the server ;)