Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

If they manage to somehow turn TSW into the single-player RPG it should've been with some online elements that would be great. I enjoyed my time with the game, but it clearly never should have been an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dexo posted:

It sounds like it's gonna be like the Division. Maybe Shared areas like Agartha and the faction areas. But it seems single player unless you invite others into your instance.

That would be a big improvement.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Neat, two Secret Worlds to not wander around in.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Saw the news on Facebook and decided to patch up the old girl for nostalgia's sake, as I built this computer to play TSW in the first place.

Waiting semi-eagerly for the new game, I guess.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Got to see what they improve. On one hand I was actually thinking about starting a templar character on other I feel like if I had to start over I'd do everything exactly the same. I wonder if they'll actually fix stuff this time, like Adrian whatshisname who has no quests or spoken dialogue, or always buggy event golems and whatnot.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Starting over from nothing...I don't know how I feel about that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Starting over from nothing...I don't know how I feel about that.

I mean, you can continue to play TSW as it is now if you want. I kind of get having to start over for the seperate relaunched version.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean, you can continue to play TSW as it is now if you want. I kind of get having to start over for the relaunched version.

But I just ground my poo poo up to higher numbers within the last month! And did Tokyo :suicide:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Len posted:

But I just ground my poo poo up to higher numbers within the last month! And did Tokyo :suicide:

If it's any consolation you would have had to endure another wait for Tokyo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dexo posted:

It sounds like it's gonna be like the Division. Maybe Shared areas like Agartha and the faction areas. But it seems single player unless you invite others into your instance.

I would play this since I'm digging The Division right now.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, the reclassification of the game as a "shared world action rpg" is an interesting one.

This is what I'm most confused about, honestly. Are they going for a GW1 vibe with all the combat areas instanced out and only a few hubs/shared spaces?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just wantched the legends trailer, starting to have doubts about graphics improvements because it looks like rear end :D Worse than game itself on max graphics. Not sure how division style instancing would improve the game. I thought it was just right on my server. A crowd in Agartha of course, people in London but only rarely a player in other zones just enough to remind me that I'm not the only bee out there.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That was the best part of coming in late to TSW for me. Running into the occasional player investigating poo poo just as a reminder that other agents exist in the lore, but few enough of them that the creepy atmosphere of the zones is preserved.

I'm not sure how atmospheric the theme park would have been with twenty superpowered bees running around it obliterating everything in sight.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Kessel posted:

That was the best part of coming in late to TSW for me. Running into the occasional player investigating poo poo just as a reminder that other agents exist in the lore, but few enough of them that the creepy atmosphere of the zones is preserved.

I'm not sure how atmospheric the theme park would have been with twenty superpowered bees running around it obliterating everything in sight.

From my recollection of launch time, it really wasn't so bad. I think the respawns are tuned really well, so there was almost always something getting in your way/something to avoid.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Best part about the relaunch is the people on the subreddit for tsw complaining about losing all their time and how this will be the death knell for the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Just wantched the legends trailer, starting to have doubts about graphics improvements because it looks like rear end :D Worse than game itself on max graphics. Not sure how division style instancing would improve the game. I thought it was just right on my server. A crowd in Agartha of course, people in London but only rarely a player in other zones just enough to remind me that I'm not the only bee out there.

I honestly don't think the trailer has the updated graphics. It's more of a teaser really.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I honestly don't think the trailer has the updated graphics. It's more of a teaser really.

I think it's just the intro sequence for the actual game, edited for shortness obviously.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wouldn't really give that much of a poo poo about the graphics, tbh. What matters is making the combat fun instead of what it is now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

MMORPG: Why the shy away from the MMO term to “Shared World RPG”? Is the game still an MMO where you play with thousands of others at once, or is it more “solo” and closed off a la Destiny?

RA: We think one of the strengths of The Secret World was its story and settings.
As a Shared World RPG, we have reduced the maximum amount of players that can enter a playfield. While adventuring, you will still meet a few strangers here and there, but the focus is on you, and your friends if you choose. You are following your character's story, your experience won't be affected by hundreds of other players nearby trying to kill the same monster.
Agartha has been redesigned to be even more of a central hub to the game. You will be able to meet with hundreds of other players and group up before going on your journey.

It sounds like Guild Wars 1.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 29, 2017

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
I kind of liked stepping into TSW for a week or two a few times a year to slightly increase my numbers since they did the big daily overhaul, but really the soul of the game's in its single-player experience, especially if they can keep some of every-area-is-dangerous feel of back around launch. The themepark was terrifying! Now when I go there I just smash my way through the ghosts. I wanna live in fear again. And really, anyone who's been playing the endgame with any dedication has been fully optimized for ages, and done nothing but complain about the alternate advancement systems (aegis in particular!).

It's a radical move, but I think a good one. I'll pry give it a prod. Been itching to replay the original plot since I first played it. We'll hafta see how the gameplay changes hold up--I'm all for less fiddlyness, complexity seems mostly to mean "netdeck or you're shooting yourself in the foot" for a majority of players.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

My main issue is that I need 1x Quad Roller Skates and 1x Shoulderpads, Black to complete my bag item collection, and there is no way I'm getting the pads I think.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Best part about the relaunch is the people on the subreddit for tsw complaining about losing all their time and how this will be the death knell for the game.

Official forums are also filled with people saying they've been betrayed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

afkmacro posted:

To be fair, they probably should have come out with some more information and maybe some gameplay.

But yeah forum posters and reddit posters are idiots.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Are you all glad I never did Tokyo now?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

afkmacro posted:

quote:

So I put over 1000 hours into my main
...and you want me to just start over?

...I don't even now how to respond to this. I'm heart broken. I feel betrayed. Unwanted.

At the very least you could have compensated existing players who have certain end game achievements with a fully progressed SWL character (gear vouchers/etc). But instead -- 'start over'?

... I guess I'll just go, then. That seems to be what you want.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

afkmacro posted:

Im not at BETRAYAL levels yet, but having this be a new server is pretty lame. Keeping the old game up and running as well seems odd. It will suck to lose all my progress (especially if Tokyo doesn't get revamped) but I'll wait and see.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Like Age of Conan's free2play transition, I think they're mishandling how they treat older players. Disappointing. Give us premium accounts. Not just "we'll give you back the cosmetics you bought on the store".

I like the change from MMO to "MMO-lite" that they're doing though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

They did say they're giving bonuses to people who bought the game or its bundles if they want to transfer to Legends. So it's not like veteran players are getting nothing, unlike how AoC was

Serf
May 5, 2011

If they make the combat more fun I won't mind having to re-do the story. It's been a while since I played through it anyways, I think I forgot most of what happens.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, yeah I think premium would be fair considering the money some of us dropped in there. Thank god I stopped playing after beating the game and didn't grind any achievements or upgraded gear.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, yeah I think premium would be fair considering the money some of us dropped in there. Thank god I stopped playing after beating the game and didn't grind any achievements or upgraded gear.

I am currently buying up every cosmetic possible.

I will laugh if none of it transfers.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Exmond posted:

Im not at BETRAYAL levels yet, but having this be a new server is pretty lame. Keeping the old game up and running as well seems odd. It will suck to lose all my progress (especially if Tokyo doesn't get revamped) but I'll wait and see.

I bet at some point someone inside Funcom mentioned NGE, and they wanted to make sure they didn't make the same mistakes. Ripping out the entire class/combat system and replacing it with something else is effectively an entirely new game, and forcing all existing characters to suddenly be something they weren't before might have an even worse effect on the community.

Though without any combat system details, it's hard to tell how different it actually is.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

novaSphere posted:

They did say they're giving bonuses to people who bought the game or its bundles if they want to transfer to Legends. So it's not like veteran players are getting nothing, unlike how AoC was

Not only did Age of Conan players get nothing, they revoked access for the people who bought the $40 expansion but didn't want to pay for the optional membership.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I still can't help but wonder what they mean by graphics improvement. This 2012 game had a very successful facelift but can they really squeeze more out of it to look modern in 2017? Could it be ... that they somehow ported it on Conan Exiles engine? That would explain why there won't be Tokyo on release (or they are just laughing at us).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I still can't help but wonder what they mean by graphics improvement. This 2012 game had a very successful facelift but can they really squeeze more out of it to look modern in 2017? Could it be ... that they somehow ported it on Conan Exiles engine? That would explain why there won't be Tokyo on release (or they are just laughing at us).

Nope. Same engine.

Same, exact, engine.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Does TSW use an enhanced Age of Conan engine? It certainly looks and feels like it. Assuming Funcom's unannounced Conan game is a successor to Age of Conan, a proper MMO, I could see it being UE4-based like Exiles but as of right now, they don't have the "framework" to support more than 40 players, let alone hundreds or thousands.

UE4-based Secret World would be nice, but it's a pipe dream for right now.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Again, it's not happening. They are only going to slightly upgrade the engine. We are not getting Conan: Exiles' engine in TSW.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I hope it's a point and click adventure.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Variable Haircut posted:

Would be an upgrade from text adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Variable Haircut posted:

With an enormous pop-up verb wheel.

• Locked thread