Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Communism good?
This poll is closed.
Yes 375 66.25%
No 191 33.75%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cerebral Bore posted:

You mean the central planning that took the USSR from a burned-down peasant country to the world's second industrial superpower in ~30 years and this with the most destructive war in modern history throwing a spanner in the works?

that was actually the NEP which wasn't centrally planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Central planning can work, but the Soviet Union's implementation of it was clunky at best and hamstrung by corruption and waste. We're in a far better position now in terms of technology to make it work, but I'm not entirely sure a completely centrally planned topdown command economy or the like is necessary or indeed desirable. I don't trust the state to collectivize and administrate the economy any more than I trust corporations to do so, I reckon collective ownership and administration should be undertaken directly by an organized workforce otherwise you just end up with an unaccountable, bureaucratized elite running poo poo into the ground or abusing it to pad their own pockets.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

the chinese government still owns pretty much all the land and their mixed economy is way more mixed than most other nations even now. also quasi central control over that economy means they're better equipped than the US to handle, say, a climate catastrophe that would require the government to be able to enact economic change instead of having the corporations pay you off to legislate how they want you to...

really? you think the chinese model of governance would be more robust in the event of a disaster that removes the top leadership than the US? the one with absolutely zero democratic participation? christ lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

that was actually the NEP which wasn't centrally planned

I suppose it explains a lot if you're not even aware of when industrialization really took off in the USSR.

EDIT: Like, the book to read is right here.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cerebral Bore posted:

I suppose it explains a lot if you're not even aware of when industrialization really took off in the USSR.

im sorry friend but rapid industrialisation would never be possible without the economic recovery provided by the NEP and the state seizing the resources of the kulaks, very reminiscent of hitler seizing jewish funds by the way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it also fractures your country into tiny pieces or forces you to switch to a free market model in the long term so that's good

Because megacorporations aren't a thing.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

very reminiscent of hitler seizing jewish funds by the way

hey

as a jew

go gently caress yourself for trying to compare an innocent ethnic group to some landlords who would kill their own livestock before they allowed it to be taken away lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

hey

as a jew

go gently caress yourself for trying to compare an innocent ethnic group to some landlords who would kill their own livestock before they allowed it to be taken away lol

really? you think all the NEP traders and farmers were criminals that deserved having their assets seized and starving to death or being executed?

it's incredible that people itt are literally posting soviet propaganda from the cold war period lmao. "kill their own livestock before they allowed it to be taken away"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nice retard edge, let me try as well

Jews would sooner choose to starve to death than donate their golden teeth to the national war effort, gently caress them.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
If you're not willing to expropriate you gotta get out of the Marxist kitchen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If those Jews are not going to let loose of their hoarded private property for the benefit of the people, there needs to be some solution to the problem.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

If you're not willing to expropriate you gotta get out of the Marxist kitchen.

"all the starved ethnic minority farmers that managed to get a little bit rich during the NEP and then got killed are just necessary losses in our path to communism" - an actual unironic western man tyool 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

If those Jews are not going to let loose of their hoarded private property for the benefit of the people, there needs to be some solution to the problem.

you have a tenuous grasp of history

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are not willing to contribute your labor to the state in the gulag, you need to give up your privileges.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

:ironicat: lmbo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fiction posted:

At least I don't believe petty farmers are enemies of the people for trying to hold onto the things keeping them alive (and for good reasons, as the famines prove).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

You're not supposed to ironicat yourself.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The bolsheviks were a bunch of backstabbing, paranoid, powerhungry assholes in the years immediately after the civil war and no-one should earnestly attempt to rehabilitate that poo poo because it does the case for communism more harm than good.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cerebral Bore posted:

You're not supposed to ironicat yourself.

please tell me more about how insanely good stalin was and how we should all follow his example

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, but as the champion of the workers I believe we must launch a wholesale slaughter of those feeding the entire nation while suffering the most hardship of all classes.

It's me, the bourgie intellectual cum stalinist

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

TomViolence posted:

The bolsheviks were a bunch of backstabbing, paranoid, powerhungry assholes in the years immediately after the civil war and no-one should earnestly attempt to rehabilitate that poo poo because it does the case for communism more harm than good.

yeah i should clarify that when stalin deported all those ethnic minorities and basically chewed up and spat out the peasantry for daring to resist him...that was not good

taking boug farms and land though...that's very good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

please tell me more about how insanely good stalin was and how we should all follow his example

Given your grasp on Soviet history it's not surprising that you believe this.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

yeah i should clarify that when stalin deported all those ethnic minorities and basically chewed up and spat out the peasantry for daring to resist him...that was not good

taking boug farms and land though...that's very good.

it's unfortunate that the three sets "ethnic minorities" and "bougie farmers" and "peasants" happened to overlap so much huh

you realise the kulaks were peasants right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Stalin was actually a humanitarian, as proved by the fact that his death toll is lower than Hitler's.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it's unfortunate that the two sets "ethnic minorities" and "bougie farmers" and "peasants" happened to overlap so much huh

you realise the kulaks were peasants right?

yea that's why i tried to clarify. stalin killed a ton of people he didn't have to because he was paranoid as gently caress and also wanted to consolidate all political power around himself. same with mao.

it doesn't matter anyway because the petty bourg is shrinking pretty quickly these days. but the idea of taking their stuff was never a bad idea, stalin was just a murderous dickhead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fiction posted:

yea that's why i tried to clarify. stalin killed a ton of people he didn't have to because he was paranoid as gently caress and also wanted to consolidate all political power around himself. same with mao.

it doesn't matter anyway because the petty bourg is shrinking pretty quickly these days.

Nice backpedaling, bro.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The free market is inherently superior as a model for distributing resources, which is why Sears dominates the American retail market, unlike all the fools who plan things in the rest of the business world.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, state-planning (Gosplan) and ownership existed during the NEP period. Also, the Soviet Union almost certainly needed crash industrialization by the mid-1920s and the state needed a greater share of agricultural output...pretty much everything else is heavily debatable.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 29, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it also fractures your country into tiny pieces or forces you to switch to a free market model in the long term so that's good

hi my name us bulgogi hoagie i have no knowledge of soviet nation-building and ethnography whatsoever, please listen to my poo poo opinions

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, state-planning (Gosplan) and ownership existed during the NEP period. Also, the Soviet Union almost certainly needed crash industrialization by the mid-1920s...pretty much everything else is heavily debatable.

so we agree that full on central planning economy with no free market whatsoever is really bad? im glad

lenin himself planned to have NEP for several decades at least

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You'd think the USSR would be homophobic enough for Bulgogi Hoagie to love them, but I guess lack of homelessness is the real dealbreaker.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Coohoolin posted:

hi my name us bulgogi hoagie i have no knowledge of soviet nation-building and ethnography whatsoever, please listen to my poo poo opinions

hi my name is cooholin i'm an american who literally believes the propaganda of a state that failed so badly it no longer exists and then slams an actual ethnic russian for having the wrong opinions about said state lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sure there are companies with employees numbering several times the population of iceland that somehow don't operate on some kind of per-building feudal system but central planning clearly cannot work on a national level.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hi my name is cooholin i'm an american who literally believes the propaganda of a state that failed so badly it no longer exists and then slams an actual ethnic russian for having the wrong opinions about said state lol

Well, given that you seem to think your line of descent gives you inherently truthful beliefs, I guess I'm just of inferior blood and can't match wits lmfao.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
people now arguing itt that corporations are exactly the same as a soviet centrally planned economy lol

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

people now arguing itt that corporations are exactly the same as a soviet centrally planned economy lol

They aren't free markets. Guess we don't have the right blood quantum to understand your posts, though!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

What do you think "collectivism" means and what do you think a corporation is, lol.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, given that you seem to think your line of descent gives you inherently truthful beliefs, I guess I'm just of inferior blood and can't match wits lmfao.

my line of descent means jack poo poo but me having grown up in russia and having gone through it's systems may have something to do with you хуйло поганое

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

лол, ты ватник

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

my line of descent means jack poo poo but me having grown up in russia and having gone through it's systems may have something to do with you хуйло поганое

How old are you? Are you confusing communist Russia with the Russia we pillaged the economy of?

• Locked thread