Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Snak posted:

Lame. I've never played a Persona game. I'll probably check it out eventually. I'm just in a mood for sad games right now.

I hear Night in the Woods is pretty depressing

edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ooooooooooooooo

I do like that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The drat menu screens in Persona 5 are more stylish than some entire games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Lame. I've never played a Persona game. I'll probably check it out eventually. I'm just in a mood for sad games right now.

Persona 3 is pretty melancholy, if you feel like playing an old PS2 JRPG. To give you an idea of the difference in tone, here's the Persona 3 opening (complete with the main character symbolically committing suicide to activate his powers), and here's the Persona 5 opening, in which the main characters ice skate on a highway wearing themed masks and everything is the most stylish it can possibly be and also there's a cartoon cat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Have you played Night in the Woods yet.

Purchased.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Persona 3 is pretty melancholy, if you feel like playing an old PS2 JRPG. To give you an idea of the difference in tone, here's the Persona 3 opening (complete with the main character symbolically committing suicide to activate his powers), and here's the Persona 5 opening, in which the main characters ice skate on a highway wearing themed masks and everything is the most stylish it can possibly be and also there's a cartoon cat.

There is also a cartoon cat in Night in the Woods, though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drat, that's good poo poo.

You know, coming from a background of 90s RTS games, I've been really underwhelmed with modern main menus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Ooooooooooooooo

I do like that.

Persona 5 is a game where even the post-combat victory screen is cool as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite big of slick Persona 5 design is that the loading screen shows a variety of silhouette people walking past which is somewhat context sensitive depending on where you are. When you go on a field trip to America everyone is fatter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, the game's battle music is better than other entire games' soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKHxzfmAOY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is also a cartoon cat in Night in the Woods, though

Yes, but does that cartoon cat also smoke a cigar?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
April is a powerful month for music this year

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you play as a girl in Persona 5?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
only as a heterosexual male teenager

think some reviews were complaining about tasteless "no-homo" jokes as well

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Lakbay posted:

only as a heterosexual male teenager

think some reviews were complaining about tasteless "no-homo" jokes as well

As if that has ever stopped slash fan fiction writers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh well.

It's not coming to PC anyway, I'm not going to be able to play for years at least. You guys might as well be talking about Half Life 3 :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Oh well.

It's not coming to PC anyway, I'm not going to be able to play for years at least. You guys might as well be talking about Half Life 3 :(

Fun fact: Persona 4 came out a year after Half-Life Episode 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They really shouldn't have ended Episode 2 on a cliffhanger, huh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, as a person that enjoys Half-Life but never loved it like the fandom, I think it's pretty funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still don't see what's so great about half-life 2, except for starting a bunch of really annoying trends in FPSes like the thing where you're slowly led down corridors while people talk to you instead of being allowed to shoot at things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unless you're completely sure that you're making the followup doing a cliffhanger is kinda asking for it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beyond Good & Evil... :negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sequel hooks are stupid anyway, like 99% of the time the sequel doesn't even really follow the hook. If your thing is good, people will buy the sequel regardless of the hook.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
E3 Every Year:

"I can feel it B&GE2 is gonna be announced!!"

*Ubisoft's big announcement is another Tom Clancy game*

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't see what's so great about half-life 2, except for starting a bunch of really annoying trends in FPSes like the thing where you're slowly led down corridors while people talk to you instead of being allowed to shoot at things.

This was weird in doom where it's like 'hi im tall robot man why don't you take a break from eviscerating demons to step into my office'

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 is a game where even the post-combat victory screen is cool as hell.

It's too loving busy

Makes my eyes hurt

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

This was weird in doom where it's like 'hi im tall robot man why don't you take a break from eviscerating demons to step into my office'

They had done so well in skewering all those tropes for the first six hours of the game, then yeah that happened and it was pretty jarring

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I really like Doom 2016 but its story and general storytelling could use some work. Those database entries are the most boring poo poo in the world.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every modern TV show ends with a cliffhanger, it's pretty exhausting honestly. Sometimes it's super artificial (I watched an episode of the Archie murder mystery thing and at the end a voiceover basically says, "A character is going to get arrested and/or die next episode" apropos of nothing.)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what the gently caress are you doing reading the database entries in doom 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

what the gently caress are you doing reading the database entries in doom 2016

Resting between punches.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doom 2016 has among the most compelling and well-written characterization and story i have ever encountered in An Videogame

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you shoot Hayden in the 0.5 seconds after he opens the door but before he forces you to lower your guns, he absorbs the meatshot and admonishes you for it and tells you not to waste the ammo. It's a nice detail because they knew people were gonna try it but also fuckin lame.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fridge corn posted:

It's too loving busy

Makes my eyes hurt

You and Lurdiak need to get together, form the world's lamest duo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

doom 2016 has among the most compelling and well-written characterization and story i have ever encountered in An Videogame

Not really. I mean Doomslayer's all right, but the evil traitor lady and robot man are terrible and feel like they could be from a Halo game.

Mordja posted:

I'm not lame. :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Homosexual

Homosexuality

Homosexual

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I liked robot man's quiet swallowed annoyance at how you'd destroy everything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Not really. I mean Doomslayer's all right, but the evil traitor lady and robot man are terrible and feel like they could be from a Halo game.

Lol that goddamn cripple lady and her stupid trundle. After the third time they put her behind un-breakable glass that doomguy didn't even try to break in the lead-up cutscene I was like "yup it's just like the rest of them"

edit: And people countered this garbage with "Doomguy let it happen because he wants to fight demons" like ok sure whatever helps you sleep rip and tear at night pal

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My real problem with Metroid Fusion, besides probably-unfairly associating the whole Adam thing with leading to Other M, is that the Fusion Suit is ugly as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Mordja posted:

Game Lumps

• Locked thread