Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

raverrn posted:

Atari Adept gets better with rank 5 (20% more damage) and 6 (30% shield) Annihilation Field. You're still glassy, but enemies shoot you less and you have more shields to take it.

Yeah, but then you can't take floaty enemies, which is probably the best CC in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's not great, it means you're out in the open not regenerating shields (can't rely on floating dudes to be in range of your punch), getting shot by everyone not in your small range. On gold, you're getting shredded by commons with rapid fire hitscan weapons.

It's a fun skill but it is one of the worst CC in the game.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Naw, the float is great. Glad I didn't listen to the thread and specced for float instead of shields

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
For the Human Vanguard melee build, what is the better Rank 6 charge upgrade? I could see both being very useful, with dr and constant charge explosions both adding a lot of survivability.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

For the Human Vanguard melee build, what is the better Rank 6 charge upgrade? I could see both being very useful, with dr and constant charge explosions both adding a lot of survivability.

Bastion. Damage resistance is important when charging into a group, and it turns it to a 100% shield reset. The cooldown is already fast enough you don't really need to make it even shorter.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

I've taken both, and Bastion (the bottom evolution) is definitely more useful for gold. Assuming you take the power recharge evolution of Apex Training, Shock Trooper gets you a 3.5 second cooldown on charge while Bastion is 5.2. Charge does less damage that punching, though, and the extra shields + 75% boost in effective shields/hp boosts gold survivability more than the slightly faster charge. It's good for getting around the map, though!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I just had a bug where everyone on the team had (at least seemingly) infinite ammo. Including Cobra rockets.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Piell posted:

I just had a bug where everyone on the team had (at least seemingly) infinite ammo. Including Cobra rockets.

This is the host desynching from EA servers or the rest of you or whatever, who knows! Those rounds tend not to make it to the end before the host is d/c

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Add EffEmmEll on ps4 for gold runs. It's not even that pubs are bad, it's just so hard to find a room that doesn't have an idling 273 apex lvl 1 human engineer.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zigmidge posted:

This is the host desynching from EA servers or the rest of you or whatever, who knows! Those rounds tend not to make it to the end before the host is d/c

It went the whole round and made it through, including rewards, so hooray!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I had to bounce through like 8 lobbies last night before I found one where people readied up.

The old system was fine 3 people ready and the countdown starts, now one rear end in a top hat holds everything up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A power recharge booster makes going without the recharge speed skill pretty tolerable anyway

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I really want another Annihilation class, just for the missions with boosted enemy melee. I don't wanna give up the Asari Adept shield annihilation for that.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Whats the point of the different levels of characters? It doesn't seem to mention anywhere but I got 3 Turian Havoc Troopers unlocks in a row and I'm not sure whether to be happy about that or annoyed I didn't unlock a different class.

Like, it says Turian Havoc Trooper - III now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every even numbered level gives you 3 skill points and every odd numbered level lets you change the colors on another part of their outfit. So you have to unlock every character 10 times to get all their skill points and get them out of the pool.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Extra skill points. Reddit is treating them as skill points taken away from us and we deserve to not have to buy andromeda points dagnabbit my gamer wallet is offended!! but they're really just a nice bonus as those 25 points won't prevent you from rocking through gold rounds.

Piell posted:

It went the whole round and made it through, including rewards, so hooray!

Now to figure out how to make this happen on purpose.....

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Oh right, well not super bad then I guess. The character looks interesting with it's focus on hovering.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Bastion. Damage resistance is important when charging into a group, and it turns it to a 100% shield reset. The cooldown is already fast enough you don't really need to make it even shorter.

Yeah I just got my KroVan maxed out in Charge and Fortify last night, ignoring Nova completely, and if you get Rage going he is extremely, extremely hard to kill on Gold.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
For Kroguard I used fortify as my dump skill, the 1 point in it is enough DR for and I find priming targets with nova too useful to pass up. Buuuuuuut I'm usually playing my human vanguard anyway because that poo poo is stupid-easy mode on any difficulty, and on that build it's shockwave that I ignore.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Why is human vanguard so good?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The barrier skill combined with charge. They can pump out bullshit levels of melee damage easily along with regening shields by meleeing things which you'll be doing anyway because it's so powerful, and restoring shields to 100% every 5 seconds by charging some idiot raider across the map, and with ANOTHER buffer of shield restores every 10 seconds to prevent sudden deaths. It's basically unkillable while doing hilarious levels of damage by punching. AND then if you pump up nova you can prime your own biotic combos and crowd control.

A big part of it is that they're not dependent on guns and guns are kinda poo poo right now for the most part.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Why is human vanguard so good?

They get Barrier, which can be upgraded to restore shields with each melee strike and also fully restore shields every ten seconds when at 25% HP. Plus maxed out Charge fully restores shields, gives damage resistance and boosts melee damage so you become very hard to kill. The human's punch is much faster than a krogan head butt too.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Okay but I have an Asari Duelist which seems like that but better. Am I wrong?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Everyone has a human, it's super easy to get a Vanguard to rank X so you'll probably have more skill points. I'm pretty sure the melee comes out faster than the duelist too. And, for my preferences, I'd take nova over backlash or lance (that said lance paired with annihilation is loving hilarious)

But yeah the duelist is a totally fine and good class.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The Duelist can do that stuff too, the difference being that she is an ultra rare drop while human vanguard is a common class that everybody has

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The Duelist can do that stuff too, the difference being that she is an ultra rare drop while human vanguard is a common class that everybody has

Ahh got it, so I'm just lucky and cool I guess

It seems like the duelist melee is extremely good with the I-frames it has

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.
So my friends and I just cleared a basic bronze match with full extraction, but instead of the usual ~10000 credit reward we got a measly 500 credits. Is this because we picked a specific enemy type (Raiders) rather than leaving it on Random?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

So my friends and I just cleared a basic bronze match with full extraction, but instead of the usual ~10000 credit reward we got a measly 500 credits. Is this because we picked a specific enemy type (Raiders) rather than leaving it on Random?

nope, that's never been reported before

jesus man this game is so bugged it's ridiculous

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Everyone has a human, it's super easy to get a Vanguard to rank X so you'll probably have more skill points. I'm pretty sure the melee comes out faster than the duelist too. And, for my preferences, I'd take nova over backlash or lance (that said lance paired with annihilation is loving hilarious)

But yeah the duelist is a totally fine and good class.

What do you do with nova that's useful? Does barely any damage, I only use it for the invincibility frames if I killed my target and there's no one near by to punch and charge is still on CD. If there's someone close enough for me to actually hit with nova I'd rather punch them for the shield regen. I'm actually planning on maxing shockwave instead because at least then I could shoot the shields off an observer then shockwave+charge for the explosion or throw random ones out during upload/hack or those last 10 seconds before we extract.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

@Rupert It's not because you chose outlaws. There is now no penalty for choosing the enemies and map.

Every player who does not extract reduces the money everyone gets by 5%. On bronze, that's 500 credits. If you had 3 players extract, I'm guessing some insanity made the game just hand you the 500 credits as your reward instead of subtracting them from the maximum 10,000.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

https://gfycat.com/SameCompassionateBergerpicard

Shockwave is not worth ditching invincibility for. Everyone is wrong about nova.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

M. Night Skymall posted:

What do you do with nova that's useful? Does barely any damage, I only use it for the invincibility frames if I killed my target and there's no one near by to punch and charge is still on CD. If there's someone close enough for me to actually hit with nova I'd rather punch them for the shield regen. I'm actually planning on maxing shockwave instead because at least then I could shoot the shields off an observer then shockwave+charge for the explosion or throw random ones out during upload/hack or those last 10 seconds before we extract.

Besides the i-frames, knockback on multiple targets (yeah small enemy damage isn't huge but it adds up if there's a crowd), plus priming them for bonus damage off another charge, or mostly for my team to detonate. It's something I'll only do if I'm safe enough that I don't desperately need to melee for some shields back, but that occurs often enough that I'm usually popping it every fight.

For observers, I charge, shoot them with whatever gun to lower the shields, then a nova will ground them for punching.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Besides the i-frames, knockback on multiple targets (yeah small enemy damage isn't huge but it adds up if there's a crowd), plus priming them for bonus damage off another charge, or mostly for my team to detonate. It's something I'll only do if I'm safe enough that I don't desperately need to melee for some shields back, but that occurs often enough that I'm usually popping it every fight.

For observers, I charge, shoot them with whatever gun to lower the shields, then a nova will ground them for punching.

Yeah, but you get most of that except the priming at level 1, I still use nova I just don't see the point in leveling it up. Shockwave is totally useless at rank 1, nova is like 90% as useful at rank 1 as it is at rank 6. I guess in the end they both feel useless to me so it doesn't really matter much, I'll probably try shockwave at 6 for a bit and then nova at 6 and I doubt it'll even matter.

Zigmidge posted:

https://gfycat.com/SameCompassionateBergerpicard

Shockwave is not worth ditching invincibility for. Everyone is wrong about nova.

I don't think that's on gold, having no shields for the time it takes me to punch someone feels like suicide on gold in a lot of situations, and you're basically dead if you randomly miss your melee or your allies headshot the dude before you punch him or something.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

It's different on HumGuard, because shockwave is even worse than Nova, but on Kroguard I feel fortify is a way better way too spend your points.

Nova's main draw is the i-frames, which you get anyway. The extra damage and priming aren't worth it, because headbutt. More points in fortify gives you more DR and melee damage, which you always want.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Okay but I have an Asari Duelist which seems like that but better. Am I wrong?

All Vanguards are good Vanguards.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

I don't think that's on gold, having no shields for the time it takes me to punch someone feels like suicide on gold in a lot of situations, and you're basically dead if you randomly miss your melee or your allies headshot the dude before you punch him or something.

I'm not going to make you a video on gold and you're just going to have to suck it up and believe that it still works on gold, precious kitten.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

Digirat posted:

@Rupert It's not because you chose outlaws. There is now no penalty for choosing the enemies and map.

Every player who does not extract reduces the money everyone gets by 5%. On bronze, that's 500 credits. If you had 3 players extract, I'm guessing some insanity made the game just hand you the 500 credits as your reward instead of subtracting them from the maximum 10,000.

Sounds plausible - we were playing with just 3, and somebody crashed out and reconnected about 5 seconds before extraction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nova is pretty great once you max it out and it can Prime enemies for you to then immediately Detonate, but you should be rushing to max out Charge and Barrier before you do anything else with any Vanguard.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah like I'm not saying Nova is this ballerass supergood skill you need to get to 6 right now, it's just that when given the choice between a primer and ok CC vs meh damage ranged detonator I'll take the former, I already have a detonator I'm popping all the time anyway so why do I want a ranged skill. If I need to reach out and touch someone for whatever reason well I brought a Charger X (along with my primary, Melee-Optimizer-X-that-also-has-a-shotgun-on-it) anyway and it still functions fine to strip shields on gold because the weapon balance is poo poo. Get barrier 6 and charge 6 first and congratulations you're ready to solo gold.

Hackan Slash posted:

It's different on HumGuard, because shockwave is even worse than Nova, but on Kroguard I feel fortify is a way better way too spend your points.

Nova's main draw is the i-frames, which you get anyway. The extra damage and priming aren't worth it, because headbutt. More points in fortify gives you more DR and melee damage, which you always want.

Yeah for Kroguard I'm really not sure which I'd lean honestly. I still like having nova for the reasons I've mentioned and I think 1 fortify is good enough DR, but more DR is always good. I need to try both more before I decide.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Shockwave is not the garbage tier skill it was in ME3 now that there's a universal Prime/Detonate system but it's still not that great. It's also really annoying that you can no longer spec out that 1 skill point.

• Locked thread