Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

It's the only book I know that he's done that, though. Right? Even Firestarter, with all its weird sexual quirks and being written in a drugged haze, didn't do anything like that.

I'm just saying

Any time I get a chance to recommend the actual book, it has to come with a warning of "It does feature a child orgy."

I really don't like having to have that be a caveat for a thing I really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Violator posted:

I think the really surprising thing is that it got printed. None of the editors said "Hey man, maybe you can have them do a blood brothers oath or something instead? Cut their fingers instead of group sex?"

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting where King successfully argued keeping that scene in to his editor. It's must have been some black belt-level word karate on his part to justify it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I think the really surprising thing is that it got printed. None of the editors said "Hey man, maybe you can have them do a blood brothers oath or something instead? Cut their fingers instead of group sex?"

King was extremely hot at the time, I imagine his publisher was just letting him go his own way by that point. He'd had a string of hits and was selling millions of paperbacks, and his work had never been without some controversy anyway.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Also, for context, read other horror novels that were coming out in the 1980's. As hosed as it is, a teen gangbang in a book close to two decades into the career of one of the world's most famous writers in the horror genre is still (relatively) tame compared to the hosed up things that pass for horror novels.

Even now, underage incest rape is in some of the most popular fantasy series with millions of fans, so while I'm not defending it, it's strange that people seem to ignore that he's not the only one that's written stuff like that. Like, Flowers in the Attic is arguably worse, since it's a series based around incest rape, and it's not necessarily vilifying it, either.

This conversation always comes up when people mention IT. If King is willing to re-write 400+ pages to The Stand, maybe he should re-write that scene in the book and give it a re-release for the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

King was extremely hot at the time, I imagine his publisher was just letting him go his own way by that point. He'd had a string of hits and was selling millions of paperbacks, and his work had never been without some controversy anyway.

This can't be emphasized enough. All writers have editors, but I just don't think they care when it comes to King, it's guaranteed money. And there was probably mountains of coke on the desk of that publishers meeting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

Also, for context, read other horror novels that were coming out in the 1980's. As hosed as it is, a teen gangbang in a book close to two decades into the career of one of the world's most famous writers in the horror genre is still (relatively) tame compared to the hosed up things that pass for horror novels.

Yeah, this is really easy to overlook or not know about at all.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Unrelated to sexy It chat. How did I not know the Christmas Evil Blu-ray has three audio commentaries and one of them includes John Waters? Ordered.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, this is really easy to overlook or not know about at all.

I'm guilty of have no major awareness of other horror from the 80s. If they didn't make a movie about it, like Hellraiser, I admittedly know nothing about it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

I really don't like having to have that be a caveat for a thing I really like.

Nah, you gotta play it off. "What the gently caress are YOOOU talking about?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Unrelated to sexy It chat. How did I not know the Christmas Evil Blu-ray has three audio commentaries and one of them includes John Waters? Ordered.

Christmas Evil was my favorite discovery from this past season. Can't wait to watch that movie again next year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Nah, you gotta play it off. "What the gently caress are YOOOU talking about?"

This is really mean and funny, and if I had friends that read horror novels, I'd do it.

"My copy doesn't have anything like that! Are you for serious, friend?"

Basebf555 posted:

Christmas Evil was my favorite discovery from this past season. Can't wait to watch that movie again next year.

Same. That and rediscovering how good Black Christmas is.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Same here. It's gonna be an annual Christmas tradition going forward.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

He's the main reason I saw it in the first place so that's cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Love Witch coming to Prime in April so those who haven't weighed in on that one can check it out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The trailer looks good and it looks like color filter used sparingly which I always prefer. Looks drat good and terrifying. Really hope we get to see like Gill Man and Frankenstein monster and Wolf Man.

I think there is a shot in the trailer of Pennywise in Wolfman mode. He seems to have claws bursting out of his gloves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I think there is a shot in the trailer of Pennywise in Wolfman mode. He seems to have claws bursting out of his gloves.

Yea that's what I was referring to earlier when someone complained about Pennywise being to overtly scary. He doesn't have claws in that scene for no reason, its because it goes with the form he's taking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm okay with Wolf Man in a Clown Suit.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Oh wow, I hadn't really been following the IT production stuff and had no idea they were bumping up the '50s kid parts to the '80s. I'm watching that trailer like :confuoot:

The only part in the entire novel that was real hard for me to get through as a kid was Patrick Hockstetter's demise - I saw they have his missing flyer up, so that part should be fun if they go there.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's what I was referring to earlier when someone complained about Pennywise being to overtly scary. He doesn't have claws in that scene for no reason, its because it goes with the form he's taking.

I wasn't complaining about Pennywise being scary, I was commenting on the fact that his default state is "Victorian tuberculosis patient" instead of Saturday Morning variety show clown, as is how he is described in the book. I'm well aware that It takes the form the teenage werewolf in Niebolt Street. I was just usIng the claws to comment on the fact that it isn't the traditional sharp teeth/glowing eyes that makes It inherently scary; most of it comes from it using the fear of those it hunts against them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I wasn't complaining about Pennywise being scary, I was commenting on the fact that his default state is "Victorian tuberculosis patient" instead of Saturday Morning variety show clown, as is how he is described in the book. I'm well aware that It takes the form the teenage werewolf in Niebolt Street. I was just usIng the claws to comment on the fact that it isn't the traditional sharp teeth/glowing eyes that makes It inherently scary; most of it comes from it using the fear of those it hunts against them.

I just don't see anything in there to suggest that we won't get the Saturday Morning version too. You could be right but we don't have any evidence yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Really hoping we get Gill Man.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's not going to happen Hollismason, unless they work in Monster Squad somehow

...Which they should absolutely do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
DONT CRUSH MY DREAMS!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I just don't see anything in there to suggest that we won't get the Saturday Morning version too. You could be right but we don't have any evidence yet.

The marketing (trailers, posters, publicity stills ) has been pushing almost exclusively towards a Pennywise that looks exclusively deformed and monstrous, which inherently defeats the purpose of It choosing a guise to lure in children. But like you said, it's still early, so who knows?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^^I mean I definitely agree that if that's what we end up getting it will be a major disappointment. The one thing I would point to in the trailer though is the slideshow where Pennywise's face is slowly revealed. It looks like a much more colorful version than what we've seen in still photos so far.

Gill Man they might be able to use just because they can maybe make his design different enough from the Creature From the Black Lagoon. Hard to imagine what they can do with Frankenstein's Monster, he may have to be dropped entirely.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 29, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Gill Man they might be able to use just because they can maybe make his design different enough from the Creature From the Black Lagoon. Hard to imagine what they can do with Frankenstein's Monster, he may have to be dropped entirely.

Haven't the filmmakers gone on record to say they're dropping all of the classic monsters in favor of more recent horror icons, whatever that means?

The sink scene makes me think they could do The Blob, and it's New Line, so I feel like they might use Freddy Kruger, as bad as that would be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If it's in the 1980s then it should be Freddy Krueger, Jason, etc..

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The sink scene makes me think they could do The Blob, and it's New Line, so I feel like they might use Freddy Kruger, as bad as that would be.

Maybe Jason Vorhees prowling the sewers in place of Frankenstein's Monster?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That... would be bad rear end.

Who's making the film? We could probably figure out something from that. I feel though if they were using Jason then it'd have to have been leaked by now. Like that's a big deal to use a iconic character.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hollismason posted:

That... would be bad rear end.

Who's making the film? We could probably figure out something from that. I feel though if they were using Jason then it'd have to have been leaked by now. Like that's a big deal to use a iconic character.

Dude who directed Mama.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fart City posted:

Dude who directed Mama.

No the production company or distributor ? If it's New Line maybe?

It'd be cool as hell to see really any horror icon show in it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fart City posted:

I don't know if the marketing would or even could coherently present Pennywise in multiple disparate forms, and if you're going to pick one, it makes sense to market the scariest one out of the gate for people that aren't completely familiar with the franchise.

I do 100 percent agree that those other forms should be represented though, particularly the more subtle one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Werewolf scene stuff still sticks, just because there were a butt load of Werewolf movies in the 80s.

We could get The Thing, that would be pretty twisted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha, in the Greenlit thread they're also debating the merits of teen orgy scenes. There are also people in there saying that goofy friendly Pennywise is no longer relevant in 2017 and that its totally appropriate to drop that aspect of the character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I just say I loving love this thread and all it stands for.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

Werewolf scene stuff still sticks, just because there were a butt load of Werewolf movies in the 80s.

If Everett McGill bursts through a wall wearing an eye patch and dressed as a reverend, movie gets an auto 5 stars.

10 stars if Gary Busey bursts through the opposite wall looking for a rematch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

They changed whole scenes and monsters to move the story by three decades and invented a new bully character, I think they can write around a pre-teen gangbang.

They added more bullies? That book is already chock full of them!

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010
Right after the slide show scene in the trailer, you can see a few frames of Eddie running from the leper. Studio ADI, responsible for many practical effects in beloved horror movies, has helped with Pennywise's makeup and other characters on the film. I'm excited to see the leper and wolfman up close.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Haha, in the Greenlit thread they're also debating the merits of teen orgy scenes. There are also people in there saying that goofy friendly Pennywise is no longer relevant in 2017 and that its totally appropriate to drop that aspect of the character.

I don't agree thematically but it's a much harder sell now. Even by the 80s clowns as a friendly funny thing for kids were dying out, and now they're practically extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

They added more bullies? That book is already chock full of them!

His name is Belch...

Burkion posted:

Okay yes, this. The Thing would be amaaazing, because a shape-shifting monster becoming an amorphous shape-shifting monster would be cool as gently caress.

Hollismason posted:

No the production company or distributor ? If it's New Line maybe?

It'd be cool as hell to see really any horror icon show in it.

Yeah, it's New Line.

My mentality: If there is an icon like Jason, it'd be pretty foolish to put him in the trailer. Horror fans know IT, people in general know of IT, but it's still a reboot of a made-for-TV movie production from 27 years ago and a book from longer than that, it's still pretty unfamiliar for a lot of people. So you have a scary clown that eats kids in your movie. If all of a sudden Jason Vorhees is running around or Freddy Kruger, you can't contextually explain "No, that's still the clown, he shape-shifts to what scares you, and it's in the 80's", people would think that it's a weird cross-over or get too confused. It's an aspect of the story that's really difficult to market when your selling an evil clown that eats kids (the familiar concept).