Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

On that note, does anyone have insight into what that egg she's holding is supposed to be? I get that Filianore is supposed to be a daughter of Gwyn, is the entire Ringed City an illusion of some sort that's broken when you touch the egg and reveal everything as a barren wasteland?

There's always a lot of ambiguity to the Dark Souls story, but as cool as that moment was I found myself saying "what the hell is that supposed to mean?" when it happened. Kind of like when I never had any idea what was going on in Dark Souls 2 at all until I looked up a summary of the story after beating the game.

I have a suspicion about this, I'm pretty sure the Egg is Midir's, which explains why he was raised by the gods and protects Filianore, she raised him and in return he protects her, probably got the egg from the Nameless King behind Gwyn's back. Why touching it leads to the wasteland I have no idea, and honestly I think there should've been dialogue with Filianore that led to this happening, but the purpose is pretty clear. The Barren Wasteland is the very end of everything, beyond fire, beyond the gods themselves, where the only things left alive are two undead who never gave up on their duty, a knight and a woman driven to avenge a grave act performed in foolishness. It's sort of metaphorical for everything becoming Ash in the end, as the age of fire finally goes out. My one guess is that somehow the Egg, Filianore, and the city itself are all linked, and the egg breaking causes time to catch up with them all and instantly age them/hollow them. Meanwhile of course Gael takes the longest route possible and actually spends all the time you skip hunting down ever last bit of the Dark Soul

Ultimately I think Dark Souls 3 is partially about letting things go and accepting that some things are mysteries. In many ways this is sort of the message of Dark Souls 3, that things fade and eventually everything must move on, or become destroyed by the inability to let go. Most of the big name bosses cannot let go of an ideology or a way of life, all of the Lords of Cinder for example seem to have found something to fixate on and in doing so never move on from their own failures or pasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skasion posted:

I ran past him because I assumed there'd be a proper fight with him later, I'll poke around once I beat door rear end in a top hat to see if there was another way I missed. I suppose that grumbly bug man will be around to finish badmouthing Firelink Crew as well.

A shame this is so short though. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, maybe one of the best looking areas in any Souls game, and the levels are great, though I wish the angels didn't take up quite so much of the first zone.

So you need to: Knock the dragon off the bridge. In the area after the bridge, there should be an elevator that brings you back to the Inner Wall bonfire, on that elevator is a hole you can run into that leads to the actual boss fight.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Ending stuff:

Does anything come of giving the painter the pigment? Something other than a couple lines of dialog.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mighty Dicktron posted:

All of the Ringed Knight weapons are some serious poo poo. The sword is a solid addition to the many really good straight swords in the game, the spear is hot nuts, and the paired greatswords' full combo (which it can get off with alarming regularity,) will do like 1500+ damage.

Are they guaranteed drops? I'm super hyped for the paired GS

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah, they're all either guaranteed drops or found as item pickups.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Woo

Also

quote:

I've said it before, DS3 has a lot of bosses I don't care about (all the gimmick fights) but the good fights are so incredibly good. Pontiff Sulyvahn, Nameless King, Champion Gundyr and now the last DLC boss are all on the top of my list of my favorite Souls fights ever (together with Artorias and Fume Knight obviously). DLC end boss is probably #1, it's just... :swoon:

Of all the games, DS3's real standout is the most number of excellent boss fights. I think Fume and Alonne are #1/#2 overall with Artorias #3 but of the top 10-20 DS3 has the most

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oxyclean posted:

There's 4. One's hidden, one is in-front of you, and another follows shortly.

I want to say the recent patch buffed all ultra weapons - people have been reporting Vordt's hammer kicks rear end now so I think I might roll a pure STR character so I can really pump vit and str.

e:Recent Patch Notes

Really? Unless they changed the numbers on it, it shouldn't be better than the great club or even the great mace.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know, normally I would say that this dragon who keeps owning me is a giant dickhead. But in all fairness, I did kinda just walk into his house and push him off a cliff, I'd be pretty mad too if I were in his place

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Really? Unless they changed the numbers on it, it shouldn't be better than the great club or even the great mace.

They buffed the frostbite build up on it and a few other weapons, but some people were saying it has generous hitboxes or something as well.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh poo poo they improved all the status weapons. poo poo gonna be wild

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The collapsed hollow outside the Ringed City mentions that the princess's rest is a fraud or illusion of sorts if you tell him you don't serve the gods. That guy also closely resembles the Pygmy Kings, except for not having a crown. I don't think the Ringed City itself is an illusion, but rather that there is something going on with timelines and such.

Consider the Untended Graves and Champion Gundyr. Gundyr arrived too late, and the shrine and world are dark, which would suggest it'd be really hard to relink the First Flame. We know Prince Lothric and his brother retreated to watch the Fire fade, and yet somehow he qualifies as a Lord of Cinder despite never doing it. Lothric is intact in the final wasteland, when it's part of the Dreg Heap otherwise.

That makes me think the "lands converging" is somehow not intended, and breaking Filianore's rest completes Gwyn's unfulfilled promise to return for his daughter at the end of the world. From the Small Envoy Banner: For the pygmies, who took the dark soul, the Great Lord gifted the Ringed City, an isolated place at world's end, and his beloved youngest daughter, promising her that he would come for her when the day came. Gwyn coming for Filianore seems to be almost the promise of the Age of Man, the end of the Age of Fire, the thing that Gwyn hollowed himself out to prevent. The gods demand Filianore's rest be undisturbed, but it was supposed to be disturbed "when the day came." The entire series is about fighting against that day coming, and the main game endings for DS3 (except Link the Fire) are about allowing that day to come or making it come by force.

So I think there's a symbolic aspect there. When you rouse Filianore it's like the timeline snaps to the way it should be: Instead of collapsed kingdoms converging toward the eternal Ringed City, Lothric is restored (though probably abandoned) and the Ringed City is ruins in a wasteland, its last kings pathetic lambs to Gael's slaughter (remember, Gael is claiming the Dark Soul from all of them because he needs pigment from the blood, and theirs is dried up). The eclipse and indeed the sun is gone, but the light isn't completely absent. This is the Age of Man, a dead and ashen wasteland, but the only place where the Dark Soul might be whole and unburdened, because you've destroyed the curse by fulfilling Gwyn's promise (the Ringed City itself is symbolic of the Darksign, man's curse; you have destroyed it by waking Filianore, and possibly destroyed the seal of the gods as well). But then you go back to the eclipsed Kiln in the game timeline and I don't even know there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I finished Midir off with a visceral attack.
:tviv:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

You just fight an NPC and it's laughably easy :ms:

Nah I'm loving the heck out of it. I said it before, they really cranked up the "holy poo poo" factor to 11. :allears:
e: I'm also really enjoying the lore as well as the schadenfreude from people who are angry at it

Yeah, I'm totally doing this when I can play again this weekend. I gave that boss a few tries yesterday and that poo poo is tuned all wrong. The painted guardians have like ten times more health than they should have, a self heal, and an infinite supply of those ethereal throwing daggers, which is annoying... and I would bother trying to overcome the deficit if it wasn't for the Old Monk gimmick, and each attempt paired me up with someone trying super hard. If I focused on killing the guardians, I'd get lagstabbed or otherwise destroyed by the invader. If I focused on the invader, I get endlessly pelted by throwing daggers and... I don't even want to, I'm that one guy who thinks Dark Souls PvP is a total shitshow (at least on console.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has anyone extracted all the voice clips said by the locust dudes when they are chilling in the swamp?

Also I assume the 3 sermons are about Alva, Eygon, and whatever the stupid miracle lady in DS3 was named?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 29, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been months and the blue sentinels STILL don't work for me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Invaders in DS3 also prove to be the most fun. I got invaded by a guy wielding a DLC weapon that goons will love: a giant set of doors that are greatshields and we battled it out in the second Ringed City bonfire. It took most of my Estus, a long war of attrition, but eventually he got angry and went on the offensive with an axe and I cut him down.

Then I tried to co-op, got summoned as a Spear of the Church and I ran right into the battle, where both host and Sunbro were engaged with another enemy. I hacked the Host down, dead in four or five hits, and the Sunbro had only just realized what was happening and turned to face me, having finished off the other enemy. I praised the Sun, but he did not return the gesture.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

If you're trying to be summoned as a blue, go to NG+, tag all the bonfires, be at level 120ish with a +10 weapon. You will get summoned loads wearing the covenant symbol.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Has anyone extracted all the voice clips said by the locust dudes when they are chilling in the swamp?

Also I assume the 3 sermons are about Alva, Eygon, and whatever the stupid miracle lady in DS3 was named?

One definitely talks about Aldia.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How much damage does everyone do to the optional boss? I kinda feel like I might be running a terrible build. I'm tired of always playing the usual stuff I went with a 2h heavy axe, with 40 faith and 26 str at lvl114. I only deal 400 damage per hit, 200 to the legs, so it takes forever. You'd think it'd be weak to the lightning infusion but it barely makes a difference.

I'm thinking I might have to respec. The fact that every PVPer is running 2h or dual greatswords and kills me in 2 hits (while stunlocking me) doesn't help :saddowns:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

hanales posted:

If you're trying to be summoned as a blue, go to NG+, tag all the bonfires, be at level 120ish with a +10 weapon. You will get summoned loads wearing the covenant symbol.

How do you tag bonfires? That must have been my problem.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hanales posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll do that after beating the dlc then.

BTW Demon Scar and Flame Fan are cool and good combos.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sum Gai posted:

So how are you supposed to deal with the Demon Prince's meteor swarm, anyway? At SL 84 and 27 Vigor everything else he did was easy to deal with, but that was always a oneshot. I 've beaten him but it really felt like I got lucky- I hit him a bunch as he was doing the summon and he only called in 4.

Attack him. It interrupts the cast and the meteors just go limp and fall on the ground near him instead of heat seeking you to death.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

One definitely talks about Aldia.

The world began without knowledge and it will end without knowledge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Minrad posted:

Attack him. It interrupts the cast and the meteors just go limp and fall on the ground near him instead of heat seeking you to death.

I did tried this when I refought the boss on my Pyro. The tracking fire orbs kept hitting me while I sprinted to him and then I got killed right when I hit him.

Just kill Demon in Pain first. Demon Below is so much easier in the second phase with its terrible laser move. You don't have to deal with any fireball summons or meteors.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jesus christ the Scar is useless in pvp. Everything's faster, longer, and stronger than it. And the UGS changes are insane. They're faster than my greatswords, longer range, do more poise damage, stun you for ages, cannot be interrupted by anything I do, it's insane. I need to get one.

Other pvp notes include laughing at how busted Gael's sword is. It's DS2 katana phantom ranges level of dumb; you can be four or five sword lengths away and die to it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone here notice a difference in number of hits for invasion covenants when moving from SL125 to SL140?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Okay two things:
1) Ledo's Great Hammer is maybe the best weapon ever and is completely trivializing NG+
2) Getting summoned in as a Spear against 4 dudes scales you up to loving GOD LEVEL and you can absolutely clean house in a hilarious way

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yodzilla posted:

2) Getting summoned in as a Spear against 4 dudes scales you up to loving GOD LEVEL and you can absolutely clean house in a hilarious way

Everytime I got summoned versus multiple phantoms all the scaling did was give me slightly more HP. It was just your typical gank squad. I didn't notice anything special.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I can't figure this poo poo out I have a character who is SL500+ and get summoned CONSTANTLY to Spears but have never once been summoned into Bluecops or Wolfcops even on my SL15 ganker with nothing better than +1 or my SL120 Sorcerer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Internet Kraken posted:

Everytime I got summoned versus multiple phantoms all the scaling did was give me slightly more HP. It was just your typical gank squad. I didn't notice anything special.

I mean yeah I guess but I was basically able to just spin around in a group and 2-3 shot everyone while they did chip damage to me. I'm barely wearing armor too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elman posted:

How much damage does everyone do to the optional boss? I kinda feel like I might be running a terrible build. I'm tired of always playing the usual stuff I went with a 2h heavy axe, with 40 faith and 26 str at lvl114. I only deal 400 damage per hit, 200 to the legs, so it takes forever. You'd think it'd be weak to the lightning infusion but it barely makes a difference.

I'm thinking I might have to respec. The fact that every PVPer is running 2h or dual greatswords and kills me in 2 hits (while stunlocking me) doesn't help :saddowns:

NG+, around SL 135, 400 to the head was what I was doing with a greatsword, around 200 with a straight sword. Pretty sure he's just really tanky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was the phantom range on Vordt's hammer always this atrocious

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

How do you tag bonfires? That must have been my problem.

Is this :thejoke: ? If not I mean just light all the bonfires.

Internet Kraken posted:

Was the phantom range on Vordt's hammer always this atrocious

Nope :allears:

hanales fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 29, 2017

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Did they ever fix the insanely low drop rate of Proof of a Concord Kept or the insanely unlikely chance of actually getting summoned as a Blue?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I invaded a guy by the first summoner. He just walked off a cliff rather than even trying. I can understand that for once.

I was getting hit when there was a clear 2ft gap between me and the hammer's head. It feels insanely lovely.

heckyeahpathy posted:

Did they ever fix the insanely low drop rate of Proof of a Concord Kept or the insanely unlikely chance of actually getting summoned as a Blue?

Of course not.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

heckyeahpathy posted:

No :(.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

hanales posted:

Is this :thejoke: ? If not I mean just light all the bonfires.

Oh well that doesn't do jack poo poo for me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This just in, Dark Souls is hard.

There's a difference between hard and bullshit and they crossed that line with these drat angels. You're punished for moving and you're punished for hiding. The paths that some people say are "obvious" are not obvious at all to others. Even the YouTubers who are showing how to get through the area still get hit a lot and only make it through because they have super high vigor and they drink a ton of estus.

I've platted every Soulsborne game and this is the only thing in the entire series that I would categorize as being unfair. Even the well sharks don't compare to this bullshit. So drop the smug "Dark Souls is hard" thing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've got a request to help complete my cosplay. Does anyone have a spare dragonslayer greatsheild or can make one to give to me? I'll help you with a boss or something.

This is on ps4.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The angels are perfectly fine compared to the summoners in the next area. Those are one of the few times in the series I've thought an enemy was complete and total bullshit. And of course they loving respawn :suicide:

Also did anyone actually figure out the "Show Your Humanity" puzzle without any sort of hint?