Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sassassin posted:

The Stoke researcher is a shamelessly biased little oval office.

my personal favourite is the PA bump that players get when they move to bigger teams - back when Thomas Lemar and N'Golo Kante still played for Caen it was typical to see theirs in the 130-range. Mario Lemina, too - 130-ish PA with Marseille, and after 20 games over the last three years with Juventus he's approaching world-class caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jason Sextro posted:

my personal favourite is the PA bump that players get when they move to bigger teams - back when Thomas Lemar and N'Golo Kante still played for Caen it was typical to see theirs in the 130-range. Mario Lemina, too - 130-ish PA with Marseille, and after 20 games over the last three years with Juventus he's approaching world-class caliber.

To be fair, predicting the future is a tricky business.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mandalay posted:

To be fair, predicting the future is a tricky business.

Then they should have greater variability in the PA ranges. Give every club researcher the option to go between "sure" but narrow ranges and much broader ranges with high variability.

IRL Ngolo Kante turned out to be a great player, but if in the game he were a dud 90% of the time (but another player from a similar size club were great instead) I wouldn't mind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Then they should have greater variability in the PA ranges. Give every club researcher the option to go between "sure" but narrow ranges and much broader ranges with high variability.

In theory the variability is supposed to come from trying to reach the assigned PA, as that's dependent on injuries, gametime, facilities, hidden personality attributes etc. It's assumed that most players won't reach their fullest potential in a given career game, falling short even in a moderately successful career, and if they do not staying there for very long.

In practice it doesn't feel quite that dynamic but there we go, the code is a mess and no one at the company can untangle it all any more.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

sassassin posted:

In theory the variability is supposed to come from trying to reach the assigned PA, as that's dependent on injuries, gametime, facilities, hidden personality attributes etc. It's assumed that most players won't reach their fullest potential in a given career game, falling short even in a moderately successful career, and if they do not staying there for very long.

In practice it doesn't feel quite that dynamic but there we go, the code is a mess and no one at the company can untangle it all any more.

I can definitely see how those factors will influence the game, but my point was more that club size/reputation forces researchers' hands. Sure, without any limitations, half the clubs in the game would have the next Messi on the U17 team, but a club in ligue 2 pretty much can't have genuine high potential players. I don't know how researchers are told when they are being too generous, but I doubt in 2013-14 when Caen were in Ligue 2 Kante could have been rated PA -8 or -9. If there was a broader rating group (120-180 PA), it would make the game more interesting by not always making the same group of players into top stars. One time Kante might get a PA of 178 (premiership material, if he can develop correctly), but in another he might only get 131, and not really be able to step up from Ligue 1, no matter how well trained.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Shazback posted:

I can definitely see how those factors will influence the game, but my point was more that club size/reputation forces researchers' hands. Sure, without any limitations, half the clubs in the game would have the next Messi on the U17 team, but a club in ligue 2 pretty much can't have genuine high potential players. I don't know how researchers are told when they are being too generous, but I doubt in 2013-14 when Caen were in Ligue 2 Kante could have been rated PA -8 or -9. If there was a broader rating group (120-180 PA), it would make the game more interesting by not always making the same group of players into top stars. One time Kante might get a PA of 178 (premiership material, if he can develop correctly), but in another he might only get 131, and not really be able to step up from Ligue 1, no matter how well trained.

That's exactly right, and all of a sudden unlike what is actually happening, pretty soon you can't scout (for example) Le Havre for Riyad Mahrez or, as mentioned, Caen for N'Golo Kante because the only teams with high PA are the big-reputation teams. It seems like there's a much greater disparity in PA between bigger and smaller clubs in 2017 than I've previously seen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

One time Kante might get a PA of 178 (premiership material, if he can develop correctly)

A PA of 178 would make him an absolute world-beater, amazing not only at his job but most others as well. The baseline for "Premier League material" is ~130, with star players at most teams starting at 140-145.

I've given out -8s before without any comment so I'm not sure if a Ligue 2 researcher really would have been stopped if he'd given Kante something similar. But he would have had to anticipate Kante's amazing career progress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was curious and peeked at my top prospect's stats... He's 95 CA/120 PA and a 3.5* striker in League Two at age 21. I hope I get some more points out of him.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
/shrug

I'm just kind of fine with my games being varied each time. Once you have played a couple games you start to notice which players tend to turn good and which ones are just scout bait. In LLM it's not too bad, but if you want to try Europa League level or something like a "win a CL with Hearts/Aberdeen" challenge it's just a bit too easy to end up looking at the same group of players that have high potential, decent stats, but are in a club where the AI deems them surplus...

I'd definitely not mind if the Czech guy Barca signed last game who ended up being Samuel Eto'o's reincarnation were just a journeyman lower league east European tap in merchant in this game, that's all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean, if there are only twenty points between "PL standard" and "PL star player" then maybe the existing ranges are enough variation in most cases (since each individual negative range has 30 points of spread, and then of course not every player is going to hit or even come anywhere near their PA).

I'm still on board with Death To Non-Variable PA Scores though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, if there are only twenty points between "PL standard" and "PL star player"...

The upper limit given to researchers for the top player at the top-rated PL club last cycle (Chelsea) was CA 175, while the lower limit for a "first team player" at the bottom club (Hull) was 121 (which was actually lower than the values for Norwich and Newcastle, for reasons that make sense). So the Premier League actually has a really broad range within it.

Outside the top 6 though ratings tend to be kept within the 130-145 range.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any tips for preventing my team from giving up lovely equalizers in extra time in seemingly every game because I dunno. Should I spend time training the Contain mentality just for these situations?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Switch to a more defensive formation, practice defending set pieces. Contain works about as well as Overload. If your defensive line is tired swap in some fresh guys.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Why are AI managers such weens about discussing transfer offers? Ask them for a wee 2 mil more and they just walk away in a huff thinking "no agreement can be reached". I mean jeez, if you really can't afford it just stick with the original offer.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
reoffer at the less than 2 mil price

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone have any tips for preventing my team from giving up lovely equalizers in extra time in seemingly every game because I dunno. Should I spend time training the Contain mentality just for these situations?

Set training to low so they have an extra 5% condition at the end of the game and profit

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need a good counter tactic for the championship...

I have good dms and el gaucho at like 37 playing AP for me and a really good 17 pace foward.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I have been playing FM games since like 2011 and I loving can not figure this one out. I have restarted three different careers now playing teams that were probably among the favorites to get promoted and in each case I win the first few games then my team goes full on tailspin and loses like 10 games in a row and I have zero idea why.

I'm tempted to just google whatever the broken tactic is or just play as Celtic or something because I don't know what to do. I've played with target men, inside forwards, wingers, 4 back, 5 back, and nothing seems to work for me.

On my fourth one now, playing as Hearts. Win the first few games then get like 5 points in my next 10 and about to get fired. I have no loving idea what I am doing wrong.

I understand Its Your Tactics and all that but that would make more sense if my teams didn't spend their first few weeks tearing through the league. I don't know if it is because I try to cycle in new players occasionally or if my tactic gets solved or something internal in the simulation but I guess it is going to keep happening because I get zero feedback on what I am doing wrong.

Also my team is mad at me because I promised a guy a run in the first team and then I didn't start him a single game when he came back tired from the international break thanks SI

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 31, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Omg yeah

"so the physio thinks you're exhausted and need a break"

"gently caress YOU I KNOW MY BODY YOU ABLEIST gently caress"

"ok cool-"

"GODDAMMIT gently caress YOU I HATE YOU"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Picked out this beast of a young LB to be with my team as I jump up the leagues (I'm Eastleigh start in Vanrama Nation League) and he's just killing it.

We're in Sky Bet League 2 now, leading the league and people keep offering to buy him. I keep rejecting but then my board goes over my head and sells the loving kid for a potential 700k to Leicester.

The kid went from assist leader in Sky Bet League 2 average rating of 7.40+ to Leicester U23s average rating 6.4.

Fuckers!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

My favourite instance of unhappy players is when one guy got mad about a single player transfer, and then his unhappiness about the team not being strengthened spread to the entire team despite them all being on international duty with different countries, and then my assman suggested we have a player meeting that only three subs were around for because it was the middle of summer and I had to explain I was going to give one of our U19s a chance instead, but because none of my first-teamers were around they were disgruntled for the first month and refused to have a team meeting after they got back

So I didn't play any of my unhappy first-teamers for the first month of the season

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Picked out this beast of a young LB to be with my team as I jump up the leagues (I'm Eastleigh start in Vanrama Nation League) and he's just killing it.

We're in Sky Bet League 2 now, leading the league and people keep offering to buy him. I keep rejecting but then my board goes over my head and sells the loving kid for a potential 700k to Leicester.

The kid went from assist leader in Sky Bet League 2 average rating of 7.40+ to Leicester U23s average rating 6.4.

Fuckers!

I'm surprised nobody's poached my star 21 year old striker who's now up to 17 goals in 20 games in League Two.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Levante is a pretty fun side to manage. Lots of depth and a good squad for the division.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I really shouldn't have saved the game before a Europa League Semi Final 2nd leg. I had 2 away goals in the first leg and it's really bugging me to finish it off :(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Brexit just hosed me. Two up and coming stars were in contract renewals and they didn't get work permits.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Slotducks posted:

Brexit just hosed me. Two up and coming stars were in contract renewals and they didn't get work permits.

If you get the editor, you can add secondary nationalities. It's cheating, but Brexit was a joke in my last save, couldn't sign anyone.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Mickolution posted:

If you get the editor, you can add secondary nationalities. It's cheating, but Brexit was a joke in my last save, couldn't sign anyone.

I'm definitely going to. gently caress Miles. You're not stopping Eastleigh from getting promoted to the premier league.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Slotducks posted:

I'm definitely going to. gently caress Miles. You're not stopping Eastleigh from getting promoted to the premier league.

Yeah, in my save it was impossible to sign anyone who wasn't playing regular internationals. I understand this with younger players, but stars who had retired from international football like Suarez couldn't get work permits for me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, in my save it was impossible to sign anyone who wasn't playing regular internationals. I understand this with younger players, but stars who had retired from international football like Suarez couldn't get work permits for me.

Creating jobs for regular Englishmen and making the EPL great again.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Creating jobs for regular Englishmen and making the EPL great again.

Foreign fancy dans like Yaya Toure are the only reason world-beaters like Joey Barton can't get onto teams like Manchester City

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
sassassin (or anyone else) : have you ever done a write up of your best guesses for the usage of the attributes by the ME? Is there a 'better' one than you know about than Guide To Football Manager?

I've just noticed that GtFM says Command Of Area is actually more like a preferred move than an ability, and it seems like whenever I look something up I realise I have completely misjudged something else. Kicking is distance not accuracy, but Throwing is accuracy not distance :shrug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I've made the Premier with Millwall after four years.... I'm not sure how to build the squad so I can stay up. I've acquired Andres Cubas as sort of my key foundation piece of the future by signing and selling a bunch of free transfers. I've also got two world class youngsters at CB and ST. I play a 4-2-3-1 with a BWM,DLP, AP, Wingers and a AF.

I've got about 28 Million to play around with. I got Niang on loan from Milan and Josh Murphy on loan as my wingers and they pretty much handled getting me promoted while feeding my 18 year old almost wonder kid Striker easy goals. My inital thought was to move to make Niang a part of the squad permanently since he's young and very very good. I can get him for about 17 million leaving me 11ish to play around with.

However, I'm pretty sure I can take them both on loan again and move to purchase Niang next year...Probably for 20-25million I'd imagine. So, I'm left wondering if I should build from the back with my defense. My back line consists of James Bree who is maturing nicely and can hold down either the RB or LB position. I use my fullbacks on support. I'm considering acquiring Rico Henry since he seems to be on track to be a Premier quality FB, but I'm not sure if I should secure someone more mature or just better.

I'd also like to find a CB to build around so I'm considering Balanta or someone like that. I'm not sure....and I've not identified foundation pieces for my defense.

I also have a massive hole at BWM(D) being filled by a 34 year old and uh Harrison Reed on loan.

So should I build from the back and solidify my defense in an effort to stay up, or gently caress it, go get my foundation piece Winger and hope we knock enough goals in it don't matter.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'd look at regen fullbacks. They absolutely kick rear end at a young age in my save .

But Yeah, loan if you can and buy for positions it's harder to loan good players for. A year or two of premiership money and you'll be set I'm sure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChrisXP posted:

sassassin (or anyone else) : have you ever done a write up of your best guesses for the usage of the attributes by the ME? Is there a 'better' one than you know about than Guide To Football Manager?

I've just noticed that GtFM says Command Of Area is actually more like a preferred move than an ability, and it seems like whenever I look something up I realise I have completely misjudged something else. Kicking is distance not accuracy, but Throwing is accuracy not distance :shrug:

That all seems accurate enough to me. I know some of their definitions were way off last I looked but I can't remember which.

Command of Area, Tendency to Punch and Rushing Out are preferences that can backfire if other attributes don't match. Strength gives throwing range, Passing (and Technique) kicking accuracy.

Communication is the best goalkeeping attribute. Never trust the star rating of a fast goalkeeper.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've had success with previous versions using their site, so while that might just be luck it seems like some of it's good at least

EDIT: I have a question. Unless I'm mis-remembering, France's 98 World Cup team involved three holding midfielders, including two in wide positions. Is there a way to put holding mids out wide? I know CM-D is apparently the way to do it, but is there a wide equivalent?

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 28, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

I've had success with previous versions using their site, so while that might just be luck it seems like some of it's good at least

EDIT: I have a question. Unless I'm mis-remembering, France's 98 World Cup team involved three holding midfielders, including two in wide positions. Is there a way to put holding mids out wide? I know CM-D is apparently the way to do it, but is there a wide equivalent?

France 98 played a 4-3-2-1 but their CMs weren't exactly wide (Petit was one, I don't remember the other, with Deschamps holding). If you want wide defensive wingers you can put guys out there (or alternatively as wing backs) I guess but I'd think your lone holding guy would have a lot on his plate.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

bewbies posted:

France 98 played a 4-3-2-1 but their CMs weren't exactly wide (Petit was one, I don't remember the other, with Deschamps holding). If you want wide defensive wingers you can put guys out there (or alternatively as wing backs) I guess but I'd think your lone holding guy would have a lot on his plate.

Yeah they were kind of halfway-wide, weren't they? Not quite wingers. The other guy was Christian Karembeu, who played with Madrid back when they played with holding mids pre-Casemiro. You'd probably be better off having three CM-Ds and having the outer ones mark wide players if that's what you wanted.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah they were kind of halfway-wide, weren't they? Not quite wingers. The other guy was Christian Karembeu, who played with Madrid back when they played with holding mids pre-Casemiro. You'd probably be better off having three CM-Ds and having the outer ones mark wide players if that's what you wanted.

Not really...the center minds were mainly there to clog the middle and pass the ball to Zidane whenever they got it while Deschamps violently tackled anything that came down the middle. Almost all of the width was provided by the fullbacks (Thuram and...someone else? The guy with the weird name). That's usually how the 4-3-2-1 works...the 2000s Milan teams were a great example. They had some combination of Gattuso/Ambrosini/Seedorf/Pirlo playing the three center mids, and then Cafu/Maldini/Kaladze/Jankulovski bombing up the wings from the back line.

France 98 was particularly interesting in that regard because their entire defensive line played up so high they were almost like midfielders themselves. Deschamps wound up covering for Desailly a lot when he'd go roaming about.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a dumbass question IRT training. If a role has a guy training aloooot of different catagories, do those catagories advance slower than if I trained him at a role with fewer catagories selected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

Not really...the center minds were mainly there to clog the middle and pass the ball to Zidane whenever they got it while Deschamps violently tackled anything that came down the middle. Almost all of the width was provided by the fullbacks (Thuram and...someone else? The guy with the weird name).

Bixente Lizarazu?

I really like how Wide Playmakers play on support. WP-S DLP-D WP-S is a workable midfield shape.