Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I always get poo poo for saying Spaceballs sucks IRL. People get very defensive about it. The VHS scene does rule tough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have a real soft spot for all the middle period Mel Brooks movies that are 100% hack jokes and routines. High Anxiety, Silent Movie, History Of The World Pt. 1, you name it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I haven't seen Spaceballs for so long I couldn't comment on it. But I agree that bad comedies are just excruciating.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

It rules that more and more people are willing to say just how terrible Spaceballs is
It boggles my mind that there are people who speak fondly of it. It's exactly what Space Movie! by Friedberg and Seltzer would be.

Pizza the Hut. gently caress Space Balls.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really don't think Spaceballs is that bad. I mean, Dracula: Dead and Loving It is right there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Another list idea... favorites from same number of years before you were born.

Sure.

Runners up in parentheses.

1948: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Bicycle Thieves)
1949: Kind Hearts and Coronets (Late Spring)
1950: Los Olvidados (Rashomon)
1951: The African Queen (Scrooge)
1952: Ikiru (High Noon)
1953: The Wages of Fear (Ugetsu)
1954: Seven Samurai (Sansho the Bailiff)
1955: Pather Panchali (Night of the Hunter)
1956: The Killing (Forbidden Planet)
1957: Nights of Cabiria (Paths of Glory)
1958: Touch of Evil (The Hidden Fortress)
1959: House on Haunted Hill (The 400 blows)
1960: Psycho (The Virgin Spring)
1961: Judgment at Nuremberg (The Hustler)
1962: The Exterminating Angel (Jules and Jim)
1963: The Great Escape (Black Sabbath)
1964: Dr. Strangelove (Charulata)
1965: Repulsion (For a Few Dollars More)
1966: The Good the Bad and the Ugly (Andrei Rublev)
1967: le Samurai (Cool Hand Luke)
1968: 2001 A Space Odyssey (Once Upon a Time in the West)
1969: Easy Rider (The Wild Bunch)
1970: Even Dwarfs Started Small (The Conformist)
1971: A Clockwork Orange (Land of Silence and Darkness)
1972: Aguirre the Wrath of God (The Godfather)
1973: The Sting (Belladonna of Sadness)
1974: The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (The Texas Chainsaw Massare)
1975: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Nashville)
1976: Taxi Driver (The Omen)
1977: Eraserhead (3 Women)
1978: Days of Heaven (Interiors)
1979: Apocalypse Now (Alien)
1980: The Shining (Raging Bull)
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Das Boot)
1982: Fanny and Alexander (The Thing)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Spaceballs is only 96 minutes long and it still really drags by the end. That's death for a comedy, even if there are a few good jokes towards the beginning.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really don't think Spaceballs is that bad. I mean, Dracula: Dead and Loving It is right there.

On one hand, Dead and Loving It has, like, one good gag. On the other, that one gag is fantastic.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Anything Mel Brooks was involved in after 1974 is trash but the only film people keep defending is Spaceballs. And it is that bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

I'll bet there's a lot of overlap between those states and states that tried to ban gay marriage.

Age of consent is 16 in Massachusetts actually. And everywhere in the northeast and old northwest except NY, Indiana, and Wisconsin, and it's 16 in all of Canada. It's higher out West and in much of the south. I used to be good friends with a sociologist who studied teenage sex behavior who talked about this stuff a lot, she had a low opinion of the value of higher age consent laws.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

All that 90's stuff, Men In Tights excluded, is miserable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Anything Mel Brooks was involved in after 1974 is trash but the only film people keep defending is Spaceballs. And it is that bad.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights owns you scrub

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hedenius posted:

Austin Powers in Goldmember

Back in December of 2002, I was going to college in Green Bay and my best friends at University of Illinois - Urbana / Champaign. Because we were huge dorks, I drove all the way down to Urbana (about a six-hour one-way trip, roughly, considering traffic) to see Star Trek: Nemesis in the theater.

Now, you might think that might have been a big enough kick in the nuts, but it gets worse. I was staying the night in a hotel, because like hell I was driving six hours back to Green Bay at 10 at night, and I decided to rent Goldmember from the on-demand service. Holy poo poo, I have never seen such an aggressively unfunny movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

On one hand, Dead and Loving It has, like, one good gag. On the other, that one gag is fantastic.

This still wrecks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFnJNC0K0w

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
To join in on the SPACEBALLS chat: it sucks. It's always sucked. It's a Friedberg/Seltzer movie.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Robin Hood: Men in Tights owns you scrub
No. I didn't really like it at the time and managed about ten minutes when I tried to watch it a few years ago. Why not watch Epic Movie if you like that poo poo?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jenny Angel posted:

It rules that more and more people are willing to say just how terrible Spaceballs is

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's it, I'm fighting all of you in the steel cage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

You might say that Spaceballs ... is balls. :smug:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dracula: Dead and Loving It is 10x better/funnier if you've seen Coppola's Dracula. Just like how Robin Hood: Men in Tights is funnier if you've seen Prince of Thieves. But I like how he'll parody multiple things. A lot of Dracula is homaging the '31 film, but he put in a few bits from Nosferatu, Hammer's Dracula, and even The Fearless Vampire Killers. I think it's funny he managed to put in a few jokes mocking The Road to Wellville, which is kind of random.

One thing I love about Mel Brooks films is that not every joke works, but there's usually another one in a moment that does.

The Producers and Young Frankenstein are perfect, though.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 29, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I saw Spaceballs when I was like 14. I don't care to revisit it.

Does Men in Tights still hold up? :ohdear:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hedenius posted:

No. I didn't really like it at the time and managed about ten minutes when I tried to watch it a few years ago. Why not watch Epic Movie if you like that poo poo?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Every second that Rick Moranis is on screen in Spaceballs is gold.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I actually find Goldmember quite funny but I hate The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've never actually sat and watched Spaceballs, but every bit and piece I've caught on TV over the years has been dreadfully unfunny. I think it's a film that people loved as a kid and then forgot to grow out of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I actually find Goldmember quite funny but I hate The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Both sequels are straight up poison but the original Austin Powers is still pretty great.

If anyone disses The Mask I'm gonna go crazy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Both sequels are straight up poison but the original Austin Powers is still pretty great.

If anyone disses The Mask I'm gonna go crazy.

That's a spicy takeball

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKR9tCiwvA
If this doesn't crack you up I don't even know what to say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll always remember Austin Powers 2 fondly because I watched it with my mom who genuinely empathized with the pathos of Fat Bastard the baby eating fat guy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's me driving my boat car

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There are bits of The Spy Who Shagged Me that I liked. For some reason Fat Bastard was hilarious to 15-year-old me, and Rob Lowe doing a dead-on impression of Robert Wagner was great.

But Goldmember was just unbelievably awful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Moon Unit Alpha and Moon Unit Zappa" does get a chuckle out of me

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The first Austin Powers is pitch perfect parody. The rest is self parody

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

what guy de maupassant story is Boudu based on

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

weekly font posted:

The first Austin Powers is pitch perfect parody. The rest is self parody

There's way, way, way too much Dr. Evil in the sequels.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

What movie on Netflix or Prime should I watch to forget my troubles tonight? I'm leaning towards The First, which I haven't seen since Sundance, but I'm open to suggestions.

Sour Grapes

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

What the hell is your beef with Return of the Living Dead 2?

Jenny Angel posted:

Actually it's an outrage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hedenius posted:

Kung Pow: Enter the fist

No.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The hardest part of growing up loving movies is the day you understand that Mel Brooks owes his success far more to the talent of his performers than the merit of his writing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm listening to the Dark Web ep of Sword and Scale and I'm dying. It's SO fake. Everybody who talks about this poo poo is a geek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The hardest part of growing up loving movies is the day you understand that Mel Brooks owes his success far more to the talent of his performers than the merit of his writing.

The fact that he was able to utilize his performers well is credit enough to his ability. Just look at Leslie Nielsen's later films if you want to see how loving unfunny a genius comedic actor can be.

• Locked thread