Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dongattack posted:

What's the saving like after the tutorial? Like, how much progress are you looking at losing on average later on if you die? Died to the two saws 30-40 minutes into the tutorial and that refund button is looking really tempting.

when you die you leave a corpse with all your chips. if you die again you lose that corpse with all its chips, which is the point where you load the game since the game never auto saves. basically even if you die you dont need to reload since you lose nothing unless you die again without getting your corpse back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Your dodge is 100% invincibility frames, you can chain it infinitely

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dongattack posted:

What's the saving like after the tutorial? Like, how much progress are you looking at losing on average later on if you die? Died to the two saws 30-40 minutes into the tutorial and that refund button is looking really tempting.
Every 10-15 minutes outside of a few easy longer sequences and final bosses/end-of-route sequences.

You can check my embarrassing post history in this thread to see how tilted I got by dying in the tutorial but I'm now deeply crazy about the game. Just set it onto easy, the lack of save points in the first hour of the game is easily the worst design decision in the game by a wide margin (but yes, it's a really horrible decision).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 30, 2017

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
So what is the reason for the lack of a day/night cycle in NieR? Impending doom? Queen beast cluttering the skies?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

It disappeared for me just from enabling Vsync in game :shrug:

Maybe I'll try it again, but that didn't work for me. Maybe I have a conflicting Nvidia setting or something.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

idiotmeat posted:

So what is the reason for the lack of a day/night cycle in NieR? Impending doom? Queen beast cluttering the skies?

It's explained in NIER 1 that the Earth rotated on its axis in such a way that, in the parts of the planet that aren't frozen over, it just never becomes night. This is also why you can't actually see the sun in the sky.

bunky posted:

Maybe I'll try it again, but that didn't work for me. Maybe I have a conflicting Nvidia setting or something.

Maybe - this stuff is often a headache to figure out. PC GAMING!!!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

idiotmeat posted:

Axial tilt got hosed. One half of the Planet is eternal day, the other eternal night

Edit

Beaten like a Baby in front of Arioch

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

No Wave posted:

Every 10-15 minutes outside of a few easy longer sequences and final bosses/end-of-route sequences.

You can check my embarrassing post history in this thread to see how tilted I got by dying in the tutorial but I'm now deeply crazy about the game. Just set it onto easy, the lack of save points in the first hour of the game is easily the worst design decision in the game by a wide margin (but yes, it's a really horrible decision).

If i put it on easy for the tutorial can i set it to whatever i want later? And does putting it on easy temporarily exclude me from anything like endings/unlocks or whatever?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dongattack posted:

If i put it on easy for the tutorial can i set it to whatever i want later? And does putting it on easy temporarily exclude me from anything like endings/unlocks or whatever?

Yes and no.

Also, just dodge more.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dongattack posted:

You can change your difficulty whenever and there's nothing locked behind any difficulty. Do whatever you want!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can change difficulty at any time and there's no reward associated with it at all

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

The difficulty is utterly meaningless.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

It's explained in NIER 1 that the Earth rotated on its axis in such a way that, in the parts of the planet that aren't frozen over, it just never becomes night. This is also why you can't actually see the sun in the sky.

Maybe - this stuff is often a headache to figure out. PC GAMING!!!

Do they explain why it got tilted like that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

A screaming mother-god borne from toothy giant babies beyond the reaches of space collapsed into virus-salt and infected the world with magic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dongattack posted:

Yeah, you can set it in the settings at any time, even during the tutorial itself. It doesn't exclude you from anything, there are zero prizes, unlocks, or punishments for playing on any specific difficulties. You'll have no problem getting used to the mechanics when you're actually able to save and experiment, which is why the design of the first hour is so god-awful in the save game sense (in every other sense, it's incredible)

idiotmeat posted:

Some areas look better at specific times of day than others

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SHISHKABOB posted:

Something about the war with Legion I think?? It's probably explained in Grimoire Nier somewhere. It's not really relevant to anything that happens in either of the games. In one of the novel-sections of Nier 1 the writer straight-up forgot about it, and it becomes night in the story.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

The ost doesn't have the 8bit or alt versions of songs. :(

It does seem to have the quiet and dynamic versions though, which I'm grateful for. Some of the quiet versions are better imo.

Check this out on Square's European store:
https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/440773/nier-automata-original-soundtrack

quote:

The first run comes with a bonus 16-track CD in 8-bit “Hacking Mode”!
16 sounds quite limited but it's something at least?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Unsurprisingly popular youtube critics that didn't like the first game, didn't like this game. :toot:

A bunch of my more reluctant friends are finally giving this, and the first nier, a shot though and that's great. It's really fun watching them try to guess at the plot while they're still in the A/B playthrough. I'm pretty happy that Nier is so popular now.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Squeenix's European store charges ludicrous amounts of money for shipping, and it's actually cheaper to buy it from Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SQEX-10589

This also means you don't have to wait until May to get it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

HGH posted:

Check this out on Square's European store:
https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/440773/nier-automata-original-soundtrack

16 sounds quite limited but it's something at least?

Don't buy this on the Squeenix store, they want more for shipping than the Disc costs, importing from Japan is cheaper.

Edit
Beaten by Instant Grat again,like Furiaes Lust for her Bro.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nuebot posted:

Unsurprisingly popular youtube critics that didn't like the first game, didn't like this game. :toot:

A bunch of my more reluctant friends are finally giving this, and the first nier, a shot though and that's great. It's really fun watching them try to guess at the plot while they're still in the A/B playthrough. I'm pretty happy that Nier is so popular now.

I dunno Jim Sterling liked it

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Edit
Beaten by Instant Grat again

How do you think I got this name :byob1:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

How do you think I got this name :byob1:

I'm phone posting, badly. I bought the OST on Amazon in the end, for 19 Euro. I want the physical, but shipping from Japan takes weeks or months

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Something about the war with Legion I think?? It's probably explained in Grimoire Nier somewhere. It's not really relevant to anything that happens in either of the games. In one of the novel-sections of Nier 1 the writer straight-up forgot about it, and it becomes night in the story.
I vaguely recall Nier 1 had some throwaway dialogue about it happening recently. "Boy that sure is weird, huh." "Yep. Well, better get back to drifting boars and collecting things." "Good luck!"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Dude how loving bullshit is it that you can't drift the boars in Automata??? Extremely bullshit!! Is my take!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Dude how loving bullshit is it that you can't drift the boars in Automata??? Extremely bullshit!! Is my take!

But you can boar drift, can't you? I know that you can Elk drift?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Instant Grat posted:

Except you can. Press R2 and left or right.

EDIT: After you're already at max speed.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

But you can boar drift, can't you? I know that you can Elk drift?

Wait how? I tried everything I could think of but no drifting happened. The animal controls did not have a drift button.

EDIT:

Coughing Hobo posted:

Except you can. Press R2 and left or right.

Well there's my excuse to play through this entire game again. Thanks!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thoughts on the digital OST off Amazon.

Not bad definitely missing a couple of the really good multitrack tracks.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lol, the game straight up just played it self when i flipped it on easy, was pretty funny to watch. Also served as a much better tutorial than what they tried to cook up since i could sit back and analyze everything 2B could do. At least it got me past that grossly designed part so i could save.

Instant feeling of "oh no.." as i discovered chip sets and felt the need to get them all seep into me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Thoughts on the digital OST off Amazon.

Not bad definitely missing a couple of the really good multitrack tracks.

The digital and the physical have the same track list Sans first press bonus hacking tracks. Be assured, missing tracks and remixes might be sold in another OST release.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The digital and the physical have the same track list Sans first press bonus hacking tracks. Be assured, missing tracks and remixes might be sold in another OST release.

And if not someone will eventually straight up rip the game's OST so I can listen to emil's english shop theme on repeat forever.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Secret boss is being an rear end. It's fun but then I lose concentration and die. So I'm gonna grind to 99 and if that doesn't work I'll put it on easy for a bit. I'm not too proud to do that.

Just too proud to buy the drat trophies. I will earn recognition for running around with no trousers on for an hour legitimately, drat it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I knew it was missing the hacking tracks I just waant sure which 'full' piece songs were skipped

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dongattack posted:

Instant feeling of "oh no.." as i discovered chip sets and felt the need to get them all seep into me.

Primer on chips:

Each type of chip has a number of different tiers (Base, +1, +2, etc), and each chip has an equipment cost. Each tier of each type of chip has a minimum possible equip cost (chips with this lowest possible cost are denoted with a little diamond icon), but it's also possible for another example of the exact same kind of chip to have a higher equip cost.

If you have two chips of the same type and tier, you can fuse them together at certain shops into one chip of the next tier up, and the equip cost of that new chip will depend on the costs of the chips you fused to get it - fusing two diamond-cost +1 chips will get you a diamond +2 chip, etc.

A merchant on the Bunker will let you buy upgrades to your chip equipment capacity, and this is one of the best possible things to be spending money on early on. Also, obviously be on the lookout for chips with low equip cost - often it's possible to replace a chip with an exact duplicate that just costs less to equip!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I knew it was missing the hacking tracks I just waant sure which 'full' piece songs were skipped

As far as I can tell some of the dynamic themes when instruments get dropped or added and the tempo changed and Emil's English jingle are not in the OST at all. The first one is pretty hard to include, tho

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I dunno Jim Sterling liked it

Oh I guess Yahtzee didn't like it

Well he thought the music from Nier was bad, so he's clearly off his rocker on this subject

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Instant Grat posted:

Primer on chips:

Each type of chip has a number of different tiers (Base, +1, +2, etc), and each chip has an equipment cost. Each tier of each type of chip has a minimum possible equip cost (chips with this lowest possible cost are denoted with a little diamond icon), but it's also possible for another example of the exact same kind of chip to have a higher equip cost.

If you have two chips of the same type and tier, you can fuse them together at certain shops into one chip of the next tier up, and the equip cost of that new chip will depend on the costs of the chips you fused to get it - fusing two diamond-cost +1 chips will get you a diamond +2 chip, etc.

A merchant on the Bunker will let you buy upgrades to your chip equipment capacity, and this is one of the best possible things to be spending money on early on. Also, obviously be on the lookout for chips with low equip cost - often it's possible to replace a chip with an exact duplicate that just costs less to equip!

Nice bit of info, thanks!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yahtzee refuses to touch the online component on any game so I imagine he's the one guy who couldn't get ending E cause they were offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh I guess Yahtzee didn't like it

Well he thought the music from Nier was bad, so he's clearly off his rocker on this subject

Yeah, sorry, everything with Emi Evans is good, and his opinion invalid. I like her duo project stuff as well, I wish she made more music I could buy.

You can trust any OST with involvement by the following Japanese people :

Yoko Kanno
Kajiura Yuki
The Ar Tonelico people especially including Shikata Akiko
And Okabe.

Did I forget someone?