Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i see the sword as more representative of his promise to go back to the past then anything, so not getting it back would feel weird

i don't doubt the creators couldn't pull it off in a satisfactory way, but i also really wanna see a jack sword fight someone with it one last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Megaspel posted:

Your response seemed like the stereotypical knee-jerk response of "please sjws do not ruin my favourite tv show by talking about it". Probably by your sarcastic use of 'problematic', which implied you get frustrated at people discussing things that are 'problematic'. Hope this helps.

I hope you appreciate the irony in having a knee-jerk response to what you perceived as a knee-jerk response.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The sword is his penis

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

AriadneThread posted:

The sword is his penis

That's ridiculous, Aku is his penis.

As for the time portals... I think you can figure that one out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Jack is attracted to Aku, so i am somewhat offended that one dude said he was het

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's assuming Aku's gender

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXxnJgeTd8

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*picture of JAck about to finish off Aku with Jack labeled as 'CAPITALIST OPPRESSOR', the sword labeled as 'NEOLIBERALISM', and Aku labeled as 'THE PURE WORKING CLASS'*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That's assuming Aku's gender

a shapeshifter by necessity would be all genders, jack is pan-sexual

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

raditts posted:

I hope you appreciate the irony in having a knee-jerk response to what you perceived as a knee-jerk response.

Ah the old "I know you are but what am I?". Just move on my man.

This is very good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I prefer this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PhlIsEFNU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh my god.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hooley dooley, why not just engage critique at its own level rather than shouting it down? it's more interesting than 'theory: jack marries the wolf.'

i don't think the daughters of aku are especially sexualized. i think robes would have been a cooler look, but with seven of them on screen that would have very visually busy. i don't think, as a whole, the show has great attitudes about women. i mean, the entire punchline of the second scotsman episode is that his wife is fat and lovely.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Somberbrero posted:

hooley dooley, why not just engage critique at its own level rather than shouting it down? it's more interesting than 'theory: jack marries the wolf.'

Because a lot of us don't want to descend into the loving sewer, much less be dragged down into it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think Ashi's going to have an actual goddamn character arc and giving her something as massively damaging as a cult upbringing to overcome is more feminist than making her a ~perfect female icon~ with nothing detracting from her because she's being placed on an iconography pedestal. I expect her to struggle, I expect her to succeed and being a compelling character is better than being the "good role model" character every day of the week. She's as horribly broken as Jack right now and seeing as how we're on episode three, good. She has room to grow, making her a character and not a pandering statement.

I really dislike the Flawless Female cliche and think it's as damaging to a character as any other unfeminist tropes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Because a lot of us don't want to descend into the loving sewer, much less be dragged down into it.

oh, i think i get it. i like jack cool motorcycle. sad that motorcycle gone. :( miss motorcycle.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Somberbrero posted:

oh, i think i get it. i like jack cool motorcycle. sad that motorcycle gone. :( miss motorcycle.

jack kill people. me sad?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

i don't think the daughters of aku are especially sexualized. i think robes would have been a cooler look, but with seven of them on screen that would have very visually busy. i don't think, as a whole, the show has great attitudes about women. i mean, the entire punchline of the second scotsman episode is that his wife is fat and lovely.

i agree that they aren't especially sexualized, and even the idea that aki would ever be a love interest just feels laughably out of touch with the entire tone of the show. that said, given the previous seasons and just general cultural conventions i can't fault someone for reading those character designs as sexualized. what i mean is that i don't think it's intentional, but that doesn't mean it can't read that way.
i'm rooting for aki to have some sort of recurring role, if only to give jack someone to bounce off of that isn't his own broken mind, but it don't know how, with seven episodes to go, she could have much character development without taking the focus away from jack's struggle to get back in the saddle

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
TRIANGLES, people!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Das Boo posted:

TRIANGLES, people!

acute triangles

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

i don't think, as a whole, the show has great attitudes about women. i mean, the entire punchline of the second scotsman episode is that his wife is fat and lovely.

But he loves her anyway, because there's more to women than just looks.

Like how well they can gently caress people up

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:laffo:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, she's literally nothing without her "kill Jack no matter what" life goal... And that's probably not going to happen now that he's seemingly found his spark again. So she's got nowhere to go but up, now. :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How do we know the wolf is real, could have been a Jack's is bleeding out hallucination which means Jack killed that animal while acting like a wolf.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mycot posted:

Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

Ashi will break Jack's fall. And that will be the end of Ashi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AriadneThread posted:

acute triangles

Ashi is acute triangle, alright.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Somberbrero posted:

what if green horse = motorcycle?! ahh the mistery!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PhazonLink posted:

How do we know the wolf is real, could have been a Jack's is bleeding out hallucination which means Jack killed that animal while acting like a wolf.

Honestly I was thinking the entire blue bleeding out sequence was a dream because of how freaky it was until the moment the wolf brought him chicken. Dreams can't come up with chicken.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I like that they very openly showed that it's not only possible, but likely, that some of the Daughters of Aku survived. Since Jack also fell, and we know he will survive. Better than just an empty fake out, or just having some of them come back with no explanation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JossiRossi posted:

I like that they very openly showed that it's not only possible, but likely, that some of the Daughters of Aku survived. Since Jack also fell, and we know he will survive. Better than just an empty fake out, or just having some of them come back with no explanation.

My guess is something along the lines of another goon's prediction-Ashi and Jack will be forced to work together, and will later be confronted by either one or both of the other Daughters that were thrown off the cliff.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to guess the one whose neck was broken in spine-crunching slow motion isn't alive.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Lemon posted:

But he loves her anyway, because there's more to women than just looks.

Like how well they can gently caress people up

She's also stronger and more dangerous than Jack and the Scotsman combined.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,yeah,I'm kinda backing out of this thread for now. If I want to be lectured, I'd give my mother a call.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Regarding the Socio-cultural issues described a few pages ago, I agree that we still have problems with sexism and all that; but I don't believe it's fair to Gendy to expect him to try and fix it.

I mean, an author is generally going to write a story about whatever it is THEY happen to be interested in. They're going to write about characters that are at least moderately similar to themselves, and place said characters in scenarios that THEY'VE dreamed up in their heads. And, for better or worse, a lot of children's cartoon writers happen to be men; so any attempts at them trying to create a "model of true femininity" is bound to miss several crucial details.

For that reason, it's generally not a good idea to have them write about things that they don't have any knowledge or interest in. It would be like me trying to write a sex scene, when...

---------------------

1) I'm a virgin

2) I'm a 24 year old who has never had a girlfriend

3) I'm a devout Christian man who specifically goes out of his way to not think about things that'll get his engine running; at least till he meets his future wife.

---------------------

Does that make sense? I've seen some folks complain that even when writers try to create "model" female characters, they'll oftentimes either re-confirm the stereotypes they were made to subvert (because men are biased towards what THEY find attractive in women), or end up becoming TOO perfect (because the writer is overcompensating). Everything I said is why I think this tends to happen; you just can't write about what you don't know.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 30, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Since I missed it on Saturday, just finished watching it.

drat, that poo poo took a turn with a quickness.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The trick to writing a good female character: Write a good character. Don't worry about its gender.
Worked in Alien.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This show could be called Samurai Jade with all the genders swapped and it would be exactly the same show.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mycot posted:

Honestly I was thinking the entire blue bleeding out sequence was a dream because of how freaky it was until the moment the wolf brought him chicken. Dreams can't come up with chicken.

I already told you Jack hunted it himself. Got on all fours and everything.

Or maybe the chicken is a lie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Pfft you assume Jack will survive, but he will be dead. The remaining episodes will just be focused on Aku.

• Locked thread