Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

You forgot Voez on that list. :colbert:

Voez is pretty niche. If you don't like rhythm games, japanese music, and think the minimalist style is "cheap", the price tag would be too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kirios posted:

Here is the agreed upon and decided go to list of not Zelda recommendations. Please etch this into stones (and the first post) goons:

* Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
* Blastermaster Zero
* Snipperclips
* Neo Turf Masters
* Fast Racing RMX
* Human Resource Machine
* Snake Pass

Neo Turf Masters not at the top? Sad!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fast RMX is good and cool and my friend.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
* Snipperclips
* Binding of Isaac
* Blastermaster Zero
* Neo Turf Masters
* Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo (JP)
* Fast Racing RMX
* Voez
* Human Resource Machine
* Snake Pass

Fixed it for you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lets be real people.

If you haven't played Shovel Knight, the #1 answer is 100% Shovel Knight. Otherwise, it's Blaster Master.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's VOEZ! The rhythm touch game EVERYONE is talking about! Play along with all your favorite songs, such as:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

It's VOEZ! The rhythm touch game EVERYONE is talking about! Play along with all your favorite songs, such as:

I mean I like a lot of the songs in the game, but afaik they're all original songs just for the game which is somewhat of a bummer. I just want other crazy rhythm game songs like Brain Power :qq:

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I'm reasonably sure they're all indie songs from Korea and other nearby countries.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kirios posted:

Lets be real people.

If you haven't played Shovel Knight, the #1 answer is 100% Shovel Knight. Otherwise, it's Blaster Master.

Basically this. That is in no way meant to take away from the other games on the list and called out since the list was posted, it's just a reflection of how good Shovel Knight is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bef posted:

Lucky duck...I'll never get a Nintendo at this rate :sigh:

Target near me had 3 on the shelf when I was there this morning.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Prime Now has them pretty consistently as well, if you are a Prime haver in a city

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My Switch library so far is:
Zelda
Binding of Isaac
Voez
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
1-2 Switch
Snipperclips
Blaster Master Zero

Aside from 1-2 Switch which is mildly amusing to play with my friends once in awhile, and Super Bomberman R which I feel is just good but not great, I'm having a blast with every one of these games. I especially like being able to play indies on a portable, but sometimes more resource intensive indies didn't run well on 3ds or Vita. I look forward to the Switch library growing over time, but I am having a ton of fun with the Switch already.

Also if you like platformers at all get Shovel Knight if you haven't already, you will not regret it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

grand theft grotto posted:

My Switch library so far is:
Zelda
Binding of Isaac
Voez
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
1-2 Switch
Snipperclips
Blaster Master Zero

Aside from 1-2 Switch which is mildly amusing to play with my friends once in awhile, and Super Bomberman R which I feel is just good but not great, I'm having a blast with every one of these games. I especially like being able to play indies on a portable, but sometimes more resource intensive indies didn't run well on 3ds or Vita. I look forward to the Switch library growing over time, but I am having a ton of fun with the Switch already.

Also if you like platformers at all get Shovel Knight if you haven't already, you will not regret it.

Get the golf game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get the golf game.

I bought Snipperclips to play with the wife, which happened all of two times. Shovel Knight would interest me maybe if it were part of a bundle with something else I really wanted for cheap. As for the rest, none of those are games I would buy for PC or another system so I will wait for my Switch to be something more than a Zelda machine. Feels like some people ITT are trying to justify their purchase with buying more games that just seem ok but not great. :shrug:

Really wish they had the VC up and running, there's tons of good old games I never played/finished.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get the golf game.

I have a friend who has it, sometime I'll play it with them and probably get it myself if I like it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Playing Zelda on my commute the last few weeks made me actually p sad to be tied to my PC to play Tides of Numenara. I want all games available on Switch :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Larrymer posted:

I bought Snipperclips to play with the wife, which happened all of two times. Shovel Knight would interest me maybe if it were part of a bundle with something else I really wanted for cheap. As for the rest, none of those are games I would buy for PC or another system so I will wait for my Switch to be something more than a Zelda machine. Feels like some people ITT are trying to justify their purchase with buying more games that just seem ok but not great. :shrug:

Really wish they had the VC up and running, there's tons of good old games I never played/finished.

I won't try to sell you on it anymore, but Shovel Knight has a poo poo ton of possible hours you can put into it.

Shovel Knight is mega man, but with melee attacks. There is new game +
Plague Knight plays like...if I had to say anything, Samus? Its not exactly the same, but there is kind of a bomb jumping mechanic, etc.
Spectre Knight plays sort of like Ninja Gaiden.

the game is goddamn gorgeous. The levels are also redesigned for Plague Knight and Spectre Knight. (Spectre Knight far more so).

Also, King knight will be a playable character eventually too

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

eonwe posted:

I won't try to sell you on it anymore, but Shovel Knight has a poo poo ton of possible hours you can put into it.

Shovel Knight is mega man, but with melee attacks. There is new game +
Plague Knight plays like...if I had to say anything, Samus? Its not exactly the same, but there is kind of a bomb jumping mechanic, etc.
Spectre Knight plays sort of like Ninja Gaiden.

the game is goddamn gorgeous. The levels are also redesigned for Plague Knight and Spectre Knight. (Spectre Knight far more so).

Shovel Knight is Ducktales, but with melee attacks.
Plague Knight is a game where you fall into pits a lot and it's your own drat fault.
Specter Knight can be one of the best skateboarding games in recent memory depending on how you play it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shovel Knight is Ducktales, but with melee attacks.
Plague Knight is a game where you fall into pits a lot and it's your own drat fault.
Specter Knight can be one of the best skateboarding games in recent memory depending on how you play it.

that is also fair

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Plague Knight is my favorite of the three to play because while getting used to his momentum is difficult, when things finally go right it is an amazing feeling.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot explain to most of you how goddamn much i love shovel knight

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Shovel Knight is fantastic and plague knight really delivered (havent played spectre yet) but I hope Yacht Club games has another project lined up eventually

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I just finished spectre knight and yes it was very good as was plague and shovel. I'd played the first campaign before on PC but never finished it until this release. Buy this game if you haven't.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

eonwe posted:

I cannot explain to most of you how goddamn much i love shovel knight

How many beefy hours do I get?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Xad posted:

I mean I like a lot of the songs in the game, but afaik they're all original songs just for the game which is somewhat of a bummer. I just want other crazy rhythm game songs like Brain Power :qq:

Friggen normies....

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eonwe posted:

Who cares? He's not even a real king!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have Shovel Knight on WiiU so i have plague Knight. Do i also have Spectre Knight?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How many beefy hours do I get?

for a single playthrough on just the shovel knight character? 6 to 10 hours depending on how good or bad you are, idk. But I've played through it multiple times and I'm not bored yet.

Then you can still play Plague Knight and Spectre Knight, and the levels and playstyle are very different from shovel knight

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

I have Shovel Knight on WiiU so i have plague Knight. Do i also have Spectre Knight?

You don't currently, but you will. Right now its only on the Switch. But if you own it on the Wii U you'll get Spectre / King Knight / Battle Mode when they are released outside of the switch.

Spectre Knight comes out in April outside of the switch

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Kirios posted:

Here is the agreed upon and decided go to list of not Zelda recommendations. Please etch this into stones (and the first post) goons:

* Blastermaster Zero
* Snipperclips
* Neo Turf Masters
* Fast Racing RMX
* Human Resource Machine
* Snake Pass

No photoshopping to make it look like something in a case insert pocket from a launch game? SAD!

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I just completed my first run of Has Been Heroes. The game is pretty hard, and a lot of it comes down to how lucky you are at getting spells / items.... and not getting that skeleton summoner boss.

The game's fun. It's just not Darkest Dungeon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

You don't currently, but you will. Right now its only on the Switch. But if you own it on the Wii U you'll get Spectre / King Knight / Battle Mode when they are released outside of the switch.

Spectre Knight comes out in April outside of the switch

Thank you, kind elephant friend

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Spector Knight the last of the Shovel Knight DLCs? If not, are older consoles still going to get them for free?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

We've still got King Knight's campaign on the way. The other platforms will be getting the full package, Switch just went first because Nintendo helped extensively with QA for Specter of Torment, I think.

Edit: Speak of the devil.

https://twitter.com/yachtclubgames/status/847221232034430977

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 30, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly that recommendation list is mostly niche games or have requirements to want to enjoy them. Snipperclips needs co op to be fun, Voez is very niche if you enjoy indie Asian artists, and the others range from middling to okay ports. The only "must buy" that isn't Zelda in my book is shovel knight and that's if you haven't played it or want spectre knight access early/portable shovel knight.

Avoid 1 2 switch until it's bargain bin, along with bomberman, and never buy has been heroes.

Snipperclips has been great for socializing with bored people while traveling though.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 30, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Also lol gamestop is totally making its employees make high metacritic user scores from all these one game, well written reviews.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

Thank you, kind elephant friend

np

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Honestly that recommendation list is mostly niche games or have requirements to want to enjoy them. Snipperclips needs co op to be fun, Voez is very niche if you enjoy indie Asian artists, and the others range from middling to okay ports. The only "must buy" that isn't Zelda in my book is shovel knight and that's if you haven't played it or want spectre knight access early/portable shovel knight.

Avoid 1 2 switch until it's bargain bin, along with bomberman, and never buy has been heroes.

Snipperclips has been great for socializing with bored people while traveling though.

Theres at least something for everyone and lots for the broader-minded gamers. Pretty much every game, save for Voez (don't love rhythm games or Korean music) and Shovel Knight (bought it for Wii U, wasnt able to make much progess) is very much my poo poo.

Haven't bought Blaster Master Zero yet because I'm concerned its a hardcore SNES style game and I'm bad at those (see Shovel Knight) but I probably will eventually.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have a friend who has it, sometime I'll play it with them and probably get it myself if I like it.

Your friend is extremely smart and probably very attractive, because he has the golf game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

lelandjs posted:

Theres at least something for everyone and lots for the broader-minded gamers. Pretty much every game, save for Voez (don't love rhythm games or Korean music) and Shovel Knight (bought it for Wii U, wasnt able to make much progess) is very much my poo poo.

Haven't bought Blaster Master Zero yet because I'm concerned its a hardcore SNES style game and I'm bad at those (see Shovel Knight) but I probably will eventually.
It's the NES game refined with modern game dev techniques.

• Locked thread