Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

worthless. posted:

Upscalers are really something you can't go halfway on. Either be ready to commit or it won't be worth it. There's a reason people buy framemeisters.

I just looked these up. I was expecting them to be in the $200 or so range but Jesus they cost more than $600 Canadian new :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mak0rz posted:

I just looked these up. I was expecting them to be in the $200 or so range but Jesus they cost more than $600 Canadian new :psyduck:

https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/XRGB

If you're willing to pre-order now and wait, you could get one for a lot cheaper and have it in summer.

The mondo prices are apparently due to Micomsoft announcing some time back that they're no longer going to be able to get components to make the current iteration of Framemeisters; I guess the scuttlebutt is that they will probably be out in a year or so. So it's a "now or never" thing, with pricing accordingly, though I'd probably hold my breath and wait and see if anything new is on the horizon.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I received mine from Solaris a few weeks ago. They're expensive but absolutely worth it. The picture quality is exceptional, and the added lag so low that I'm personally not capable of noticing the difference.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

There are games that I know are "good" and for the life of me I should be good AT them, but I just fail so hard that I can't even get into it (despite numerous attempts). Like tonight, I'm sitting here trying to actually "get good" at Weaponlord, and I am having the shittiest time.

The only other game to make me feel like this is Lode Runner.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think many people are going to go to bat for Weaponlord.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Like tonight, I'm sitting here trying to actually "get good" at Weaponlord

why

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hahah I guess because I feel like there's a crazy amount of depth to the game I'm meant to understand at some point. Perhaps I've been trying to mine the wrong poo poo. Ah well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Weaponlord is an ambitious and historically interesting game but it's not one you should feel obliged to understand, especially if you don't have anyone to play against.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weaponlord has forever earned my no-Christmas-card list for beating Earthbound as that month's NIntendo Power cover. It is a grudge I will carry with me to my grave.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Forgot how fun Snowboard Kids 2 is

Injected it into a DK64 Wii U VC rom and it works flawlessly

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah the snowboard kids games are dope

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Used to play it at my friends house in 1999

Now it's over $200 bucks cos it was released in AUS only for PAL regions so it's rare as over here

sucks to be EUR

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you're going to learn one fighting game that you'll never play against another person, make it Karate Champ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, I was lamenting my $50 upscaler yesterday and this morning I wake up to an email that I'm now able to order an OSSC :clint:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

If you're going to learn one fighting game that you'll never play against another person, make it Karate Champ

The lack of Karate Champ tournaments demonstrates how terrible the fighting game community really is.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

signalnoise posted:

I think you meant Way of the Warrior for 3DO by Naughty Dog.

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/screens/9/a/c/gfs_28928_2_69.jpg

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheMammoth posted:

I think you meant Way of the Warrior for 3DO by Naughty Dog.

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/screens/9/a/c/gfs_28928_2_69.jpg

Nah I wasn't making a joke, I mean it because Karate Champ is actually a good game.

That isn't even Naughty Dog's best old game. The best one is Rings of Power because of the pixelated boobies with that cheat code

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Weaponlord is awesome and people who say otherwise are just no good at it :bahgawd:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Project Y by Watermelon has finally gotten an update. Not sure if anyone has posted about it yet but it has a title and everything. It will be called Paprium and the normal edition is 70 bucks. Looks pretty good imo. I like beat em ups but the Japanese theme going on (not sure if it will be ingame) isn't really my thing.

http://www.paprium.com/

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

There are games that I know are "good" and for the life of me I should be good AT them, but I just fail so hard that I can't even get into it (despite numerous attempts). Like tonight, I'm sitting here trying to actually "get good" at Weaponlord, and I am having the shittiest time.

The only other game to make me feel like this is Lode Runner.

I love WeaponLord but the computer AI is really tough, even on the easiest difficultly. The game really needed a tutorial. To better understand the game mechanics, you really need another person to play against.

There was anniversary video posted on YouTube with one of the creators that explains the fighting mechanics that might help you out.

Also don't force yourself to play a game because it's "good," play it because you enjoy it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wizgot posted:

Project Y by Watermelon has finally gotten an update. Not sure if anyone has posted about it yet but it has a title and everything. It will be called Paprium and the normal edition is 70 bucks. Looks pretty good imo. I like beat em ups but the Japanese theme going on (not sure if it will be ingame) isn't really my thing.

http://www.paprium.com/

I posted the trailer before but yeah. Yuji Naka tweeted about it! ..without saying anything other than "The Mega drive's getting a new game", I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ is taking preorders for a Megaman Volnutt poseable figurine made by Sentinel. My wallet was not strong enough to resist :shepspends:. I have no regrets, aside from knowing there'll never be a Mega Man Legends 3.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ is taking preorders for a Megaman Volnutt poseable figurine made by Sentinel. My wallet was not strong enough to resist :shepspends:. I have no regrets, aside from knowing there'll never be a Mega Man Legends 3.

$40 ain't bad for a Japanese action figure I guess. I was looking at the Megaman X one, but they aren't taking any more orders.

$10 an inch though...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

signalnoise posted:

I remember renting an awful SNES fighting game back in the day. It only had like four characters to choose from and one of them was a fat dude wearing a white robe/gi with a long green braided ponytail that he used as a weapon. The music was terrible.

I want to know what this game is again but "bad SNES fighting game with awful music" is probably not going to narrow it down.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mak0rz posted:

I remember renting an awful SNES fighting game back in the day. It only had like four characters to choose from and one of them was a fat dude wearing a white robe/gi with a long green braided ponytail that he used as a weapon. The music was terrible.

I want to know what this game is again but "bad SNES fighting game with awful music" is probably not going to narrow it down.

Pit Fighter? I only read to "awful SNES fighting game"

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

signalnoise posted:

Game rules. Arcade at least. I had a cab for years but sold it off due to space constraints. Dual joystick control ftw.

Also:

https://youtu.be/mIpKa9JttTw

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It sounds to me like you're mixing up characters in your mind from the game Deadly Moves. Buoh was a thin dude in a white gi who attacked with a ponytail, and Baraki was a fat dude with a green mohawk.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Though if we're talking an NTSC-U SNES version, it'd be called Power Moves for (presumably NoA-related) reasons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

signalnoise posted:

It sounds to me like you're mixing up characters in your mind from the game Deadly Moves. Buoh was a thin dude in a white gi who attacked with a ponytail, and Baraki was a fat dude with a green mohawk.

Definitely not it. The guy I'm thinking of has the stereotypical "Kung Fu movie villain" look with the Fu Manchu moustache and (iirc) hat.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

worthless. posted:

Weaponlord is awesome and people who say otherwise are just no good at it :bahgawd:

I'm sorry but have you considered playing Battle Blaze instead?

Anyway, just wanted to come in to say that my two-year-old old is just terrible at Columns.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
So, the quality of using a RGB SCART to Component adapter to use on a CRT TV vs just using Svideo. Is it worth the purchase of a SCART to component adapter and a new component switch (the switch I use for Xbox/PS2/PSP is full).

Right now I use S-video on my 27" Trinitron for playing most of the time and sometimes will use my 14" PVM, but it is not as chill (good to use for streaming with the pass through function of the PVM). Just wondering if the quality of going from RGB on my SNES/N64/PS1 to component would be worth the $40-$50 of equipment over s-video.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Generally? Not really. RGB does have the advantage that if you decide to get more old consoles RGB is far more commonly supported than S-Video.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Definitely not it. The guy I'm thinking of has the stereotypical "Kung Fu movie villain" look with the Fu Manchu moustache and (iirc) hat.

Try skimming this video.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Joe Chill posted:

I love WeaponLord but the computer AI is really tough, even on the easiest difficultly. The game really needed a tutorial. To better understand the game mechanics, you really need another person to play against.

There was anniversary video posted on YouTube with one of the creators that explains the fighting mechanics that might help you out.

Also don't force yourself to play a game because it's "good," play it because you enjoy it!

WeaponLord would be so much better if the designers had stuck with typical fighting-game motions for the special moves. As it is, the game's even weirder than Primal Rage when it comes to pulling off anything but regular attacks.

It would've benefitted from being a PlayStation/Saturn game with better animation, too. But then it might’ve missed the 2-D fighter hump.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Elliotw2 posted:

Generally? Not really. RGB does have the advantage that if you decide to get more old consoles RGB is far more commonly supported than S-Video.

Ya, I figured the SCART to component adapter is $30 for a cheapo and goes higher. Then another $15+ for another component switch depending on quality. So if the quality isn't that much better than s-video on a standard consumer CRT TV (a Trinitron in my case), then I'll pass (I know it is better, but how much better? $50 better? Also, I know it won't be as nice as my PVM either). I just paid to have my N64 RGB modded, but have found myself to just play it on s-video since sitting on the couch in my gaming room and playing on the crt is more comfortable than sitting at the desk where I have my 14" PVM set up when I just want to sit back and chill/play.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doomsday Warrior! I misremembered the guy's hair color though (or maybe it was my lovely TV greenwashing everything)

And this is the one awful track I still remember so vividly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qjLic3bG8

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Composer: What samples do I have to work with?
Software Engineers: We've got the stock bass drum and the aluminum sheet Bugs Bunny uses to trick people into thinking it's raining.
Composer: Gimme fifteen minutes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did this ever come out and if it did why don't I own it???

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Ah. Megaplay 1010. I know they got written about in a few magazines, but I don't know if it was ever produced. I've never actually SEEN one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Holy poo poo I knew those switchers existed for the Atari 2600 but it never occurred to me someone might make ones for other consoles. The real mystery though is why the North American versions of those consoles are being shown in what is presumably a Japanese ad/magazine or some such.

• Locked thread