Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, his two daughers are already cast. There's that.

I have no idea what this show is going to be about or how it's going to be about that thing, though. So basically:

X-O posted:

That's a pretty good costume for a TV show I have zero interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess unlike with Arrow and Flash they figure with a 46 year old they really don't have have time to dick around with working up to the good costume.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Is it connected to the other shows?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Scyantific posted:

First look at Cress Williams as Black Lightning

That is a really good promo shot. I hope the costume is awesome in the show too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

pubic works project posted:

Is it connected to the other shows?

I remember that the original pitch was that it was not going to be, but it was also initially pitched to different networks, IIRC. I dunno if CW picking it up means that plan is changed. It would be pretty silly to pick up a superhero show on CW and not have it be included in the bunch. Stick it on Supergirl's Earth so they get more development.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What was the reason/who started the trend of giving all black superheroes electricity powers?

Someone did a list a couple of months ago.

It's actually only like 3 independent characters. The rest are explicitly linked, like Black Lightning's kids and things like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since the universe STOLE the CW shows from Hulu I'm just waiting for them to come out on Netflix, but from what I'm hearing Arrow and LoT are killing it this year?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

zoux posted:

Since the universe STOLE the CW shows from Hulu I'm just waiting for them to come out on Netflix, but from what I'm hearing Arrow and LoT are killing it this year?

Pretty much. They're definitely the two best out of the four this season. Legends being the best by quite a bit once the writers leaned into it being stupid glorious fun.

Arrow is good again because very little Felicity drama, Ollie recruiting and working with an extended team, better action, the guy playing Ollie's District Attorney is killin' it, Ollie doing Mayor stuff, and for once one of these shows managed to mostly surprise us with the identity of the main villain until the reveal with some competent setup and misdirection.

I'd catch up on both. Perfect time because all the CWDCTV shows are on a month long break except for Legends whose finale airs this coming Tuesday. (I think you can watch them on CW's site/app?)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the deal that took them away from Hulu allows Netflix to put the entire season up a few days after the season ends so I'm just waiting for that. The CW shows lend themselves to binge watching, honestly.

I quit s1 of LoT about halfway through, can I just pick up s2 straight up and know what's going on?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

zoux posted:

Well the deal that took them away from Hulu allows Netflix to put the entire season up a few days after the season ends so I'm just waiting for that. The CW shows lend themselves to binge watching, honestly.

I quit s1 of LoT about halfway through, can I just pick up s2 straight up and know what's going on?

There's at least a couple things you'd want to know about why Smart and Rip aren't around at the beginning of the season, but other than that I can't think of anything besides their enemies this season being Damien Darkh, Eobard Thawne, and Malcolm Merlin. It would help if you knew their backgrounds and motivations from their time on Arrow and Flash, but other than that...not really I guess. There are no hawkpeople or anything to do with Vandal Savage from last season. Oh I guess it would be helpful to know about Mick Rory's dark times as a Time Master minion in season 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Damien Darkh is back? Hell yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What was the reason/who started the trend of giving all black superheroes electricity powers?

Who's the third.

BL, Static and?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

zoux posted:

Damien Darkh is back? Hell yeah.

As much as that season of Arrow was bad, I will never tire of Neil McDonough chewing on scenery as a villain, and now he's doing it alongside Barrowman and Letscher who aren't slouches at it either. Especially Letscher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dexo posted:

Who's the third.

BL, Static and?

quote:

In 1977, DC Comics revealed their first headlining African-American superhero with Black Lightning. However, due to numerous controversies and licensing disputes, in the many many adaptations of the DCU he has often been used via Captain Ersatz. This eventually developed into a consistent pattern in which Black superheroes had electricity-themed powers.

quote:

Black Lightning. Most other examples are deliberate Expies or Shout Outs to him. His daughter, Jennifer, inherited his powers. Keep in mind, Black Lightning originally had no powers - he just jury-rigged his own electricity weaponry.

Static of Milestone Comics, published through DC. One of the more well-known examples of Black Lightning Expies. Possibly more famous than Black Lightning himself, in no part thanks to having his own cartoon series. When Milestone was folded into DC, Black Lightning became his mentor.

Storm from the X-Men is a native African woman who uses lightning as her primary offensive power, although being able to control the weather means this is just one of her abilities.

Volt from Irredeemable

Micron from Batman Beyond

DC Comics character Coldcast has "electromagnetic" powers which gives him a slightly broader range of abilities (he can theoretically affect electrons on the subatomic level) but largely boils down to lightning bolts and shocking powers

In Kingdom Come Jonni Thunder and Black Lightning have a daughter who has both of their powers, named Lightning. Lightning eventually appeared in the regular DC Universe, except her mother was Black Lightning's ex-wife.

Miles Morales, the second Ultimate Spider-Man, has the power to deliver electric shocks that paralyze his enemies.

Baal Hadad of The Wicked + The Divine is a god of thunderstorms in an avatar as a black man.

In "Godstorm: Hercules Payne", a spin-off of Grimm Fairy Tales featuring the titular demigod, Andre Payne is a black man from the streets of Compton who discovers that he's the eponymous son of Zeus. After Zeus 'activates' his powers, Andre finds himself capable of discharging electricity from his hands.

In the New 52, the "wizard" who gives Shazam his powers is actually Mamaragan, a lightning god, who appears as a Black man.

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow has Azari, the son of Black Panther and Storm. He has his mother's lightning and his father's speed and strength.

Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is played by African-American actor Jamie Foxx. Like his comics counterpart (and befitting his name), he has electric powers.

Black Vulcan from Super Friends, created as an Captain Ersatz of Black Lightning to save on licensing fees.

Juice in Justice League Unlimited

Soul Power, a retro funk character from the Static Shock animated series. He was originally going to be Black Lighting, until lawyers got involved.

Teen Titans has Bumblebee, a young African-American woman who uses a pair of stingers that blast electricity at the targets.

Shango The Thunderer - Marvel has Thor, the god of thunder. DC has Shango. The ancient African people worshiped a group of beings as gods, and their god of thunder was Shango.

Thunder Fall - In the Democratic Republic of Congo, a group of super-powered beings called the Kingdom led a revolution before disappearing. One of them was known as Thunder Fall. He could fire electrical blasts from his hands.

Jakeem Thunder

Aqualad (Jackson)

Thunderer from Earth 7

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can watch all the shows for free o. The CW app.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You can watch all the shows for free o. The CW app.

No ads?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There are ads, but there were ads on Hulu as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CW app only has the most recent episodes doesn't it?

Longbaugh01 posted:

There's at least a couple things you'd want to know about why Snart and Rip aren't around at the beginning of the season,

Rip is around at the start of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Klungar posted:

There are ads, but there were ads on Hulu as well.

Not if you bought the no-ads package, which I did. I don't watch ad supported platforms.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

CW app only has the most recent episodes doesn't it?

I am in a trivia league Tuesday so I watch Flash on Wednesdays and when I load the app they show a list of episodes, I think for the whole season although I really haven't explored thoroughly. I guess they could all be blocked when you try to access them though, I haven't tried it.

EDIT: The worst part about the ads is there seem to be 2-3 ads that play during every.single.commercial.break. So I heard the "Dare to DefyTM" song what felt like 2 dozen times last night.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

howe_sam posted:

Rip is around at the start of the season.

Oh you're right. That happens/is explained in the first episode. I misremembered.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

As much as that season of Arrow was bad, I will never tire of Neil McDonough chewing on scenery as a villain, and now he's doing it alongside Barrowman and Letscher who aren't slouches at it either. Especially Letscher.

Letscher has gone from being "the guy who isn't Tom Cavanagh" to one of the highlights of LoT.

(Of course, he's been pretty good when he's been in Flash.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys. Guys. Know what. Arrow this season is good. Like really good. Like season 2 good. Seriously this season has been good.
I think it comes down to the fact that the storytelling here is really tight and there seems to be a singular focus with the story telling, something that was like season 2 with a defined villain and a straight forward plot. The exact opposite of season 3 (and to a extent season 4) in other words.
I am really digging the villain this season and his motivations, and I am also loving how well used team arrow is. In some ways I would say this season might even succeed season 2 if it can stick the landing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The villain is good, and the team is good, and it is definitely better than last season, AND it has been better in the second half than the first half of the season, BUT it still falls victim to the typical "we will try to fit square pegs into round holes in order to have forced dramatic moments in an episode" that a lot of the CW shows suffer from. That is, characters will do the dumbest poo poo just so they can move the show along and maybe have a dramatic moment (or pointless action scene) instead of having well thought out character development moments. The macro story telling on Arrow (and Legends) are vastly improved this season, but the micro level writing is still very weak at times. Legends is dumb fun though. I am enjoying it a lot this year.

Supergirl is neither terrible nor amazing. It kind of just is. Flash is probably stumbling the most for me. Even the people working on the show seem to be acknowledging it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That can't really be called a CW thing now when every Marvel show does it too.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ToastyPotato posted:

Flash is probably stumbling the most for me. Even the people working on the show seem to be acknowledging it.

Yeah but...they "acknowledged" it last season too and did the whole "We promise we'll do better guys!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well it was stumbling in the exact same way last season. Empty promises don't really change that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah but...they "acknowledged" it last season too and did the whole "We promise we'll do better guys!"

And they largely did but are still not hitting the mark that season 1 set.

Season 2 though was seriously rough, this season has been better in a bunch of ways (acknowledged the creepy hidden prison under their lab and started using due process on their villains, didn't have a spinoff mangling the first third of of the season, didn't do a total repeat of the previous villain, embraced the multi-speedster/hero dynamic).

They still need to steal back their good recurring villains from LoT (and I guess Star Wars) and stop always relying on a faster speedster to be the season villain, but they're on the right track.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They've said they're not doing another speedster villain next at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As it stands right now it's the best season of Arrow yet. I think they'll nail the ending as well. And Prometheus is the best villain any of the CW shows have had.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

As it stands right now it's the best season of Arrow yet. I think they'll nail the ending as well. And Prometheus is the best villain any of the CW shows have had.

I still think Slade was the best villain but Prometheus is definitely up there with the way he has hosed with Oliver and it is kind of refreshing to have a villain who isn't trying to destroy Star City but actually just want to destroy Oliver alone. Slade was kind of a mix of the "destroyer of cities" and "make it personal" but I just love how straight-forward Prometheus's goals are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same Prometheus from Morrison's JLA?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They used the name, but there's no relation at all to the existing character otherwise except for a minor thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

They used the name, but there's no relation at all to the existing character otherwise except for a minor thread.

I'd say they're similar because they're both 10 steps ahead of the heroes (TV Prometheus hasn't gotten downright annoying with it though)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's another article claiming that IF was the biggest hit for Netflix basically ever. I'd think this was really weird even if the show was critically acclaimed because who the gently caress knows who Iron Fist is. I guess the Netflix Marvel shows just have a strong reputation now or something.

So that first season of Legion huh. I was convinced right up until the end that the whole thing was in his head because of how Legion in the comics experiences and interacts with his split personalities. I was sure it would turn out that Clockworks was just where he kept all his power-selves locked up because it reminded me so much of the head-prison in the Legion Legacy run. As it stands, though, how does the title jibe with the show? I mean there's a reason he's called Legion in the comics. I'm not complaining at all, I thought it was a marvelous season of TV and was still comic booky enough to be a "superhero show" but so daring in terms of narrative structure and design.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eh, that article is looking at two different measurements, neither of which really reflect the total views of the series. It had the biggest premiere date of any show so far by less than 1% over DD season 2. And of those day one views, it had the highest percentage of people that watched at least 3 episodes back to back, but they don't give the numbers for the other shows, only the overall average. With no metrics for growth or losses over time, even for the first weekend or week, this seems more like a cheerleading piece than an actual report on the success of a show. Kind of like how a bunch of sites were cheerleading the money BvS was making even though it was behind notable Marvel entries like Civil War and Avengers.

zoux posted:

So that first season of Legion huh. I was convinced right up until the end that the whole thing was in his head because of how Legion in the comics experiences and interacts with his split personalities. I was sure it would turn out that Clockworks was just where he kept all his power-selves locked up because it reminded me so much of the head-prison in the Legion Legacy run. As it stands, though, how does the title jibe with the show? I mean there's a reason he's called Legion in the comics. I'm not complaining at all, I thought it was a marvelous season of TV and was still comic booky enough to be a "superhero show" but so daring in terms of narrative structure and design.

I feel like they purposefully left a lot of crazy poo poo out of the first season (relatively speaking) to throw at us later. I think they knew people would make your guess way too easily (I certainly did) and decided to swerve on it for season 1, but I refuse to believe that it is off the table until the show is done and it turns out to be false. I'm not going to be LOST'd again.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's not off the table. Legion/David's schizophrenia is directly referenced as far as potential different entities in his mind several times throughout the series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's not off the table. Legion/David's schizophrenia is directly referenced as far as potential different entities in his mind several times throughout the series.

I thought a showrunner said that it wasn't going to be in his head early on. I could be confused though. Either way, producers and such have lied enough about this sort of thing that there really isn't any thing they could say that would convince me until, like I said, I saw it for myself and the series was over.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought a showrunner said that it wasn't going to be in his head early on. I could be confused though. Either way, producers and such have lied enough about this sort of thing that there really isn't any thing they could say that would convince me until, like I said, I saw it for myself and the series was over.

There's only one showrunner and producer that really matters and that's Noah Hawley who also created/runs/writes the Fargo series.

There's plenty of times during Legion's 8 episode run where you hear (and once even see) the other voices in his head besides the one the show centers on.

And the last episode basically reiterated he really is schizophrenic with a certain monologue David delivers to Syd in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Longbaugh01 posted:

basically reiterated he really is schizophrenic with a certain monologue David delivers to Syd in the woods.

lol out of context this could be pink floyd