Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Jack's Flow posted:

My mother is confined to a wheelchair for a couple of months and can't get to her desktop PC on the first floor. She needs it for internet browsing, e-mails and reading her digital newspaper subscriptions. With that in mind, I am about to overnight her the HP Chromebook 14. I know nothing about Chromebooks, but the specs look OK and it has a good display, which is important.

Should I consider another Chromebook or can I go with this one?

I have an Acer R11 for the office to manage the business website and it's rad and sturdy. The tablet/tent modes are pretty sweet and might be good for newspaper type stuff. I'm only talking about my experience with it because that's my most recent Chromebook, I haven't any with that particular HP model, sadly. Just another one to consider.

Re: $5-700 road warrior budget: Nothing has really come out except maybe some new Thinkpad models, but the rollout is slow and they're not fully customizable yet. A used last gen Thinkpad is probably the most readily suggestible product line, especially if it's just for productivity/browsing and office work.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I can't internet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

My mother is confined to a wheelchair for a couple of months and can't get to her desktop PC on the first floor. She needs it for internet browsing, e-mails and reading her digital newspaper subscriptions. With that in mind, I am about to overnight her the HP Chromebook 14. I know nothing about Chromebooks, but the specs look OK and it has a good display, which is important.

I don't know that particular one, but Chromebooks have a reasonable tendency to just be Chromebooks (which, as long as one knows the inherent limitations, tends to be a good thing). That one appears to have reviewed OK, so I am not sure you need to overthink it too much (unless someone here actually has some first-hand info).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I haven't purchased a laptop in years and am looking into one for light work use, streaming content while on the road and playing a few, simple games (like Gwent, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon). Most of it's usage would be in Windows Office and streaming Netflix, honestly. I'm not looking to ever use it for anything too crazy. I was looking at Costco, would this laptop be alright: https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Flex-4-Series-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---2GB-Graphics---1080p.product.100325952.html

Any better options? I'm looking to spend about $500-$800. I've always kind of wanted a Surface Pro 4, but I hear right now is not the greatest time to buy them with a new version expected, plus I just missed out on the sale.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ShowTime posted:

I haven't purchased a laptop in years and am looking into one for light work use, streaming content while on the road and playing a few, simple games (like Gwent, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon). Most of it's usage would be in Windows Office and streaming Netflix, honestly. I'm not looking to ever use it for anything too crazy. I was looking at Costco, would this laptop be alright: https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Flex-4-Series-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---2GB-Graphics---1080p.product.100325952.html

Any better options? I'm looking to spend about $500-$800. I've always kind of wanted a Surface Pro 4, but I hear right now is not the greatest time to buy them with a new version expected, plus I just missed out on the sale.

IdeaPads are generally cheap garbage - if you can spend $800 get a Yoga or ThinkPad Yoga

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I am looking into a laptop for my mother since she is tired of her iPad and wants to move on to something with an actual keyboard.

She wants something with a good screen, so IPS, 1080p. She would like to still have the option of a touch screen since she has gotten used to it on her iPad, she also likes the idea of a backlit keyboard because her eyes are not all that great anymore and being able to see the keys better would be useful. It has to be durable, she would be expecting to get at least 5 years out of it. It does not need to be very powerful, mostly it will be used for media consumption, web browsing, finances and some very basic games. How much money are we looking at here? I was looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option but she does not really need it to be super thin and light. What about Thinkpads? Is there a good option there?

Thanks all.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Could you link the model you're looking at? HP has released a few different generations of 14" Chromebooks.

Basically, for any CB you want a xxxxU Celeron or i3 (not a N2xxx Celeron) and 4 GB of RAM (or more, don't settle for 2 GB.) Some CBs still come with HD displays, but unless it's a small one (i.e. ~10-11.6") make sure it's FHD resolution or better. Internal storage doesn't really matter. The Acer CB 14 with N3160 and FHD display is a solid recommendation for under $300, for example.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I am looking into a laptop for my mother since she is tired of her iPad and wants to move on to something with an actual keyboard.

She wants something with a good screen, so IPS, 1080p. She would like to still have the option of a touch screen since she has gotten used to it on her iPad, she also likes the idea of a backlit keyboard because her eyes are not all that great anymore and being able to see the keys better would be useful. It has to be durable, she would be expecting to get at least 5 years out of it. It does not need to be very powerful, mostly it will be used for media consumption, web browsing, finances and some very basic games. How much money are we looking at here? I was looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option but she does not really need it to be super thin and light. What about Thinkpads? Is there a good option there?

Thanks all.

I believe you can spec out new thinkpads with a backlit keyboard for like, $40 bucks over the base spec so that'd work just fine.

If she doesn't need super thin and light, just get a plain jane t460/t470. No need for the comically expensive -s or -p variants.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Iron Rose posted:

I believe you can spec out new thinkpads with a backlit keyboard for like, $40 bucks over the base spec so that'd work just fine.

If she doesn't need super thin and light, just get a plain jane t460/t470. No need for the comically expensive -s or -p variants.

I just looked at the t470(the t460 is discontinued) and it can't even be configured with an IPS screen and the resolution is limited to 1366x768, also it's like $400 more than a XPS 13 which I thought was pretty decent?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
seriously? That's crazy. I bet you anything that's due to corporate supply demands.

Even discontinued, the t460 might be your best bet. Because my partner got a t450 with a decent screen just fine, for like $800 CAD.

the XPS 13 is hardly a bad machine though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
God drat why can't any of these monkeys get 10+ hours on WiFi, much less with a screen resolution higher than FHD. Apple has been doing it for what, a decade with the Retina MBP and everyone else still calls 1080p and 7 hours of battery premium when the Mac doubles both.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Atomizer posted:

Could you link the model you're looking at? HP has released a few different generations of 14" Chromebooks.

Basically, for any CB you want a xxxxU Celeron or i3 (not a N2xxx Celeron) and 4 GB of RAM (or more, don't settle for 2 GB.) Some CBs still come with HD displays, but unless it's a small one (i.e. ~10-11.6") make sure it's FHD resolution or better. Internal storage doesn't really matter. The Acer CB 14 with N3160 and FHD display is a solid recommendation for under $300, for example.

Thanks a lot for the replies, especially this one! The HP machine I was looking at had a N2xxx Celeron. I will go for the recommended Acer 14.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

shovelbum posted:

God drat why can't any of these monkeys get 10+ hours on WiFi, much less with a screen resolution higher than FHD. Apple has been doing it for what, a decade with the Retina MBP and everyone else still calls 1080p and 7 hours of battery premium when the Mac doubles both.

My new 2016 MacBook Pro lasts around 4.5 hours browsing safari.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 2016 are 1st gen products and those always have fuckups. The only Apple laptops that steadily goes more than 10 hours is the Macbook Air though and they will probably be discontinued soon.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

rally posted:

My new 2016 MacBook Pro lasts around 4.5 hours browsing safari.

It's because something is running Windows in your residence. Or maybe the 10.5-hour MBP was plugged in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ThinkPad BTO options are usually slim to none during initial roll out. Try ordering by phone

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If you're looking for best battery life with a better than FHD screen, the Aero 14 is just about your only other choice vs the XPS 15. It's got a 99 watt hour battery and a 1440p IPS screen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hadlock posted:

ThinkPad BTO options are usually slim to none during initial roll out. Try ordering by phone

I checked what the upcharges would be by looking at some of the other models (they seem to charge the same amounts for upgrades regardless of model) and a i5 based T470 with a 1080p, IPS screen, 8gb of RAM, 128gb SSD and backlit keyboard would run you ~$1600 new. I've seen XPS 13's with all that plus the screen being touch enabled for $850 new, I think only previous gen refurbished Thinkpads are worth looking at.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I checked what the upcharges would be by looking at some of the other models (they seem to charge the same amounts for upgrades regardless of model) and a i5 based T470 with a 1080p, IPS screen, 8gb of RAM, 128gb SSD and backlit keyboard would run you ~$1600 new. I've seen XPS 13's with all that plus the screen being touch enabled for $850 new, I think only previous gen refurbished Thinkpads are worth looking at.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5lsgem/are_there_any_current_perkswork_codes/dby2by9/

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The 2016 are 1st gen products and those always have fuckups. The only Apple laptops that steadily goes more than 10 hours is the Macbook Air though and they will probably be discontinued soon.

Yeah I was exaggerating but everything except the dog turd 2016s does 8 easy doesn't it

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
A straight 20% reduction in battery capacity will do that. And all for LOL THINNESS. Really though the plain old rMBP 15 was closer to perfection than anything in the 15 inch category and it took loving YEARS for Dell to close up the gap with their XPS 15.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ended up buying a refurbished T460 with all the features she wanted other than the backlit keyboard for $620, thanks for the help all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Check and see if the B&N link in the OP still works, that was good for 20% off. If it's dead we may need to look for one, that was a big part of the value proposition n ThinkPads in years past

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Check and see if the B&N link in the OP still works, that was good for 20% off. If it's dead we may need to look for one, that was a big part of the value proposition n ThinkPads in years past

It looks like it still works, though a refurbished one still ends up costing around $350 less for the same specs since they don't offer the T460 anymore.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Got my Alienware 15R3 today and have mostly just been installing things and setting up my dev environment. Some initial thoughts:
  • Keyboard and trackpad feel pretty drat good
  • Overall this feels super solid and well made
  • It's surprisingly quiet for how packed full of fans and hard drive it is
  • It looks decent and I like the glow though I could do without the A L I E N W A R E lit up front and center...so I changed it. Lights are super customizable
  • It's big and heavy but not so bad that it doesn't feel viable as a laptop. It's not 17" or old Sager giant
  • The power brick is LOL XBOX HUGE

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If your laptop's PSU isn't trying to intimidate, I don't even want it.

I heard some food things about the island style keyboard instead of the usual chiclet variety we encounter on laptops. Is the trackpad using Microsoft precision drivers or in house ones?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

If your laptop's PSU isn't trying to intimidate, I don't even want it.

I heard some food things about the island style keyboard instead of the usual chiclet variety we encounter on laptops. Is the trackpad using Microsoft precision drivers or in house ones?

Like what? How does it taste? :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NewFatMike posted:

As far as I can tell it's Dell drivers but everything else Microsoft standard. The Alienware comes with extremely little bloatware which is fine by me. It had a McAfee install I killed and Alienware's color/hotkey dashboard and that's about it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Picked up that new inspiron 15 7000 1050ti version. The display is bad as everyone says but everything else is great especially for 800 dollars.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Like what? How does it taste? :v:

Thank you gesture typing, you've done it again!

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Picked up that new inspiron 15 7000 1050ti version. The display is bad as everyone says but everything else is great especially for 800 dollars.

Sadly it really is. I tried to keep it but ended up sending it back for a refund after trying to like it. Ended up getting an XPS15 for more. Dreaded hearing about the FHD ghosting, but honestly I'm not noticing it and so far I've been really pleased with this screen. 1050 vs 1050ti is pretty noticable though. The 7000 is a great deal, and if I could have lived with that screen I would have been happy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My mom called me up saying she wants a laptop so she isn't always bugging my cousin to use his computer for things. She wants it mainly for emails, spreadsheeting, photos, browsing and the like, as well as watching videos. She also goes around a lot to other family members' places, so having something easy to lug around would be nice.

We've got around $800 CAD to spend, and I'm probably going to Costco to pick something up. This Ideapad 310 doesn't look bad, but I don't know anything about laptops other than the old Thinkpads I like to play around with. Is there anything else on there that I'd be better off getting?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

meatsaw posted:

Sadly it really is. I tried to keep it but ended up sending it back for a refund after trying to like it. Ended up getting an XPS15 for more. Dreaded hearing about the FHD ghosting, but honestly I'm not noticing it and so far I've been really pleased with this screen. 1050 vs 1050ti is pretty noticable though. The 7000 is a great deal, and if I could have lived with that screen I would have been happy.

It was already the most I can budget for it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I definitely do feel like a laptop with the form factor and build quality of the XPS15 with a 1050ti or a 1060 would clean up. Increasing the thickness slightly would be fine, to incorporate better cooling and deeper key travel. The nearly bezeless screen is too sweet to pass up though.

Man, I hope Razer/Asus/MSI can manage to steal that sort of screen design soon.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, Dell TrueColour is poo poo, right? Stuff looks much worse with it on. Everything's pink. Am I missing something? (Inspiron 5567)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Filthy Monkey posted:

I definitely do feel like a laptop with the form factor and build quality of the XPS15 with a 1050ti or a 1060 would clean up. Increasing the thickness slightly would be fine, to incorporate better cooling and deeper key travel. The nearly bezeless screen is too sweet to pass up though.

Man, I hope Razer/Asus/MSI can manage to steal that sort of screen design soon.

Getting rid of all that kaleidoscopic RGB poo poo all over the place would help too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dunno why PC laptops never do power adapters right. The XPS 15 is smaller but it still has a shape that's awkward to roll up and put in your bag. Apple figured this out like a decade ago why not just copy it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet they have a patent

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

FuzzySlippers posted:

I dunno why PC laptops never do power adapters right. The XPS 15 is smaller but it still has a shape that's awkward to roll up and put in your bag. Apple figured this out like a decade ago why not just copy it?

Is the XPS 15 adapter very different from the XPS 13 adapter? I find the one for the XPS 13 rolls up just fine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The surface 4 pro power adapter is pretty nice.