Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was Future Wars that the director got completely and vocally upset about the riff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
On the topic of relatively good movies, I really enjoy Danger: Diabolik. The DVD of it out now is a different dub too, which has some better performances/dialogue (iirc, I don't think it has "Is that stud...coming?")

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was Future Wars that the director got completely and vocally upset about the riff, right?

I think that was Time Chasers but he mellowed on it.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Time Chasers is where the director got pretty upset over the rift. I think he sent the film to MST3K thinking they would actually like it, only to get mad about the riffs if memory serves

Future War is more that the director quit after the first screening and the movie got cobbled together by the FX team. Also, they knew it was going to be MST3K fodder during production. This is taken from its Wikipedia:

Wiki posted:

During the movie's production crew members joked that the film should end up on Mystery Science Theater 3000. When Doublin finished his work, he turned in a director's cut that ran with 40 minutes of mostly dialog. Future War was screened for several members of the crew. After the screening a discussion was held and Doublin quit, forcing a "Damage Control Unit" to be organized. Johnny Saiko from Steve Wang FX was brought in to take over the "trackers" and the film was completed and screened at AFM.[1]

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yeah, Time Chasers is where the director got pretty upset over the rift. I think he sent the film to MST3K thinking they would actually like it, only to get mad about the riffs if memory serves
Didn't the Time Chasers team have an MST3k viewing party and then got bummed out by the end of it? Or is that apocrypha?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hobgoblin's director wasn't too fond of the way they called him out directly during the credits.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Future War looks like it took full advantage of a flannel sale at Kmart.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hobgoblin's director wasn't too fond of the way they called him out directly during the credits.

He knew they would gut the movie, but didn't expect them to rip him to shreds.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The Ape of Naples posted:

Didn't the Time Chasers team have an MST3k viewing party and then got bummed out by the end of it? Or is that apocrypha?

I think it was just one of the actors who got upset, but eventually came around.

The cast and crew watched the episode at a bar and mostly had a blast.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Compendium posted:

Soul Takers is a pretty good watch too in my opinion.

Soul Taker is my "I can't watch this" film, just because I always :stonk: thinking about the fact that the woman getting leered at by Joe Estevez wrote the script

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Of course he sent them a copy for the explicit purpose of reviving his over-sexed gremlins knock-off, so I don't feel the slightest sympathy for him.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 29, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The best episode is The Pumaman.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I gotta be honest, I don't love Pumaman. It's pretty good but it's a middle of the road riff for me. Especially by the middle.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Clouseau posted:

On the topic of relatively good movies, I really enjoy Danger: Diabolik. The DVD of it out now is a different dub too, which has some better performances/dialogue (iirc, I don't think it has "Is that stud...coming?")

It's easily the best movie MST3K did. What happened was that the original 1969 English version was lost at some point and the dub was re-created for video. That's why the MST3K version has a terrible dub track, Italian credits, and the credits song in Italian. All that was fixed for the DVD since they found an American print by that time.

I like how Mario Bava would make cheap movies, but never skimped on the camera work. The lighting in Diabolik's lair is awesome.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 29, 2017

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

General Dog posted:

Oh, the pew may min! Or do you mean the Pew-maman?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Soul Taker is my "I can't watch this" film, just because I always :stonk: thinking about the fact that the woman getting leered at by Joe Estevez wrote the script

Now, now, now. You're being completely unfair here.

You forgot to mention the gross incest stuff.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Oh, the pew may min! Or do you mean the Pew-maman?

That's Hoo-man! Oh wait...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

General Dog posted:

It's an interesting idea to have a superhero movie with a completely dependent superhero

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite moment in Puamaman is when Crow just gives up in anger and disgust and declares "The Aztec Guy" the hero of the film. It's just such a well done well timed little break down

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
In the DVD set that included Time Chasers Mike did little intros to all the episodes and in that one he mentioned the viewing party story as being true and that the guy who played the main character and the guy who played the lead villain in particular were pretty pissed.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

OldTennisCourt posted:

In the DVD set that included Time Chasers Mike did little intros to all the episodes and in that one he mentioned the viewing party story as being true and that the guy who played the main character and the guy who played the lead villain in particular were pretty pissed.

Castleton getting miffed is reasonable, he did well enough considering his hopeless task of being a mulleted hero on a ten-speed with a bunch of gibberish techno dialogue. The riffs are great of course, but I can sympathize with the actor's chagrin, considering that a lot of the early jokes are at the expense of his physical appearance rather than the script and dialogue and whatnot.

Bob Evil though, come on man, you should be proud to have been bestowed with that nickname for such a blase take on the one-note muwahaha character. Needed more scenery-chewing like the Space Mutiny villain, or the hefty lad from Memory Bank.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Burkion posted:

My favorite moment in Puamaman is when Crow just gives up in anger and disgust and declares "The Aztec Guy" the hero of the film. It's just such a well done well timed little break down

"I'll go mess up, and you save me."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

They've chilled in the years since, because they were part of the cast reunion they did for the Rifftrax Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR3TnbAvPn4

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I don't know what's harder for me to believe: that sexy Diabolik is Kalgan, or that nobody on the MST crew noticed he was the same actor...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I don't know what's harder for me to believe: that sexy Diabolik is Kalgan, or that nobody on the MST crew noticed he was the same actor...

Oh. My. God...

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

:tviv:
You just broke my mind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

Future War is a national treasure. It proves that you too can make a movie for 20 bucks and some random people. Maybe even Robert Z'dar will drive by (though probably not these days) and agree to be in it. Better yet, chances are you will make a movie better than Future War.

Also every moment they are fighting around the cardboard boxes has me in stitches. Easily one of my favorite MST3K sections.

"Maybe they ship fully inflated balloons overseas."

I've always sort of felt this way about Quest of the Delta Knights. It's like David Warner was invited to some Ren Fest, and while he was there, they were like "Hey, if we shoot a movie, will you play most of the parts?" and he just shrugged and agreed.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

I've always sort of felt this way about Quest of the Delta Knights. It's like David Warner was invited to some Ren Fest, and while he was there, they were like "Hey, if we shoot a movie, will you play most of the parts?" and he just shrugged and agreed.

You know what David Warner said when they invited him to the ren fest?

I'm comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

One of the few times that joke is better if you don't give it a sexual connotation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Fun game, watch the bonus features on the Shout DVDs, and count how many people involved hate that MST3K did their film, against those who don't mind.

The "star" of Pumaman, for one, wasn't happy. Nor was the director of "Alien from LA". One of the stars of "Squirm" liked it, but he said the director wasn't happy. Greydon Clark (Angel's Revenge, Final Justice) was happy people were just watching his films.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've never watched Diabolik, this next week might be the time with the new Season incoming... :getin:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Davros1 posted:

Fun game, watch the bonus features on the Shout DVDs, and count how many people involved hate that MST3K did their film, against those who don't mind.

The "star" of Pumaman, for one, wasn't happy. Nor was the director of "Alien from LA". One of the stars of "Squirm" liked it, but he said the director wasn't happy. Greydon Clark (Angel's Revenge, Final Justice) was happy people were just watching his films.

The best reaction had to be Miles O'Keefe. He called Best Brains right after Cavedwellers aired to ask for a copy. The guys were crapping themselves thinking he was going to be pissed and come to kick their asses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

I like how Mario Bava would make cheap movies, but never skimped on the camera work. The lighting in Diabolik's lair is awesome.

Yeah Diabolik is overall a pretty well put together movie despite its budget.

The lead being genuinely charming despite the bad dubbing really saves it in addition to the production.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Diabolik is such a good finale. The new show better have one Hell of an opener.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Diabolik is such a good finale. The new show better have one Hell of an opener.

Yeah, it's a pretty great ending. I love that they manage to sneak in a reference to the movie ("Hello, Dr. Mitchum!"), the movie's solidly goofy with some good riffs, and the bots being in Mike's tiny Wisconsin apartment watching The Crawling Eye is really the best ending they could have had. "Who's for rice?" :haw:

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Haha.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Pumaman is a good episode of riffing for many reasons, but for me, it has the stupid jingle that worms its way into your brain.

Burn an old man, singe all his flesh off!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The guy who made Clonus claimed to be cool with it, but you can totally tell he's secretly still kind of pissed.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Julet Esqu posted:

The guy who made Clonus claimed to be cool with it, but you can totally tell he's secretly still kind of pissed.

He had his film butchered in the first place anyway, so definitely some complexity there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, MST3K is the whole reason he won his lawsuit against The Island

So he should be grateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Julet Esqu posted:

Clonus is another one like Diabolik and Time Chasers in that the movie is perfectly enjoyable on its own.