Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am all for a mummified wurm tho, poo poo's tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

i feel like they would never do that because it would "confuse newer players" or some dumb bullshit

Nah, they've done it recently enough with Lingering Souls and the 5B/4W reanimation spell.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

odiv posted:

Why is embalm sorcery speed? Is it just the old don't want feelbads for getting got with "onboard" abilities?

I think in this case it's actually literally because of New World Order.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I really hope graveyard hate is plentiful in the next set. I don't think removal is going to get better if the majority of creatures can just return next turn. I mean scrounger is already showing how crazy good it is and more of them doesn't feel like something standard needs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

it would be sweet but you have to be careful about who does the art or you'll end up with something like this

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847153989531713537

which is better then the new chain lightning would look but still doesn't really fit imo

Those only look bad because of the font.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Why is embalm sorcery speed? Is it just the old don't want feelbads for getting got with "onboard" abilities?

The same reason they don't just give every creature flash.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Keeping Embalm at sorcery speed also allows them to have cards that can say "you may Embalm at Instant speed." Or more loose upgrades that would also allow scavenge and unearth to work. Restrictions give design opportunities.

Also, Embalming is a long process. Makes sense from a flavor standpoint.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah, I mean... you had to cast it at sorcery speed the first time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Better burn than they've printed in Standard in years.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine the standard with stale board states that resulted from nobody wanting to attack since each side had a graveyard full of instant speed flashback creatures ready to ambush attackers. Imagine the constant graveyard searching as every deck played like living end. :allears:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, I mean... you had to cast it at sorcery speed the first time.

Well birthing a Hydra takes awhile, then you gotta raise it, teach it to tromple.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

PJOmega posted:

Well birthing a Hydra takes awhile, then you gotta raise it, teach it to tromple.

Tromple lessons get expensive quickly...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some Amonkhet art and worldbuilding

This is horrifying to the Gatewatch.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
These people will go to a better place. This horrifies the Gatewatch.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Rinkles posted:

This is horrifying to the Gatewatch.

this horrifies the gatewatch

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So basically, Bolas is using Amonkhet as a place to train loyal followers to perfection, to have them murdered, to raise them as his eternal loyal servants which he will undoubtedly have found a way to planeswalk around the multiverse?

That's... an oddly sound plan?

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
a foil mercadian mask dark ritual is a good looking premium card

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The Power Rangers vs. Jim Jones

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Core Magic product with dudes embracing in the art :toot:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/theproxyguy/status/847133387676700675

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

So basically, Bolas is using Amonkhet as a place to train loyal followers to perfection, to have them murdered, to raise them as his eternal loyal servants which he will undoubtedly have found a way to planeswalk around the multiverse?

this is an actually interesting and good backstory that no doubt will be ignored to explore jace brooding while gideon does weight-lifting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The thing I did like about the Invocations is that they binned the standard frame wholesale.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

black potus posted:

These people will go to a better place. This horrifies the Gatewatch.

Please do not be disrespectful to Amonkhet's culture. The Gatewatch may not approve, but others do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Art of the god temples, the city and the desert lands.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This set has some nice looking basics, I'll give it that.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I assume not much has changed and the cheapest way to get the cards you want is to buy singles, right?

I want to get into competitive Modern but gently caress me why are packs $7 and why are the singles so expensive? Can someone link a competitive deck in the current metagame that is less than like $800?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

This set has some nice looking basics, I'll give it that.

Wildland swamp is probably my favorite. Reminds me of Rob Alexander landscapes.

That or the temple swamp.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, lol story, but....

What was the Gatewatch planning to tell Ajani if everything worked out pretty much as they planned? They go to Amonkhet, quickly find Bolas, figure out what he's doing, foil all his plans, Chandra transforms Bolas into well-done dragon steak, and then they go to the agreed meetup place where Ajani is waiting.

"Welcome new friends, I have located a couple new allies who will join us, one of them knows something about Bolas and his possible schemes, and we have supplies. At last, I believe we may be ready for this great, and dangerous mission."

"uhhh yeah..... about that. See, we never agreed with your argument and didn't really trust you, so we pretended to agree to your plan, waited till you left so you couldn't discover what we were up to, then we went to Bolas with the element of surprise. His plan is foiled and he's dead now, but don't worry, you are still totally a member of the gatewatch and our friend!"

At that point, if I was Ajani, I'd be an ex-member of the Gatewatch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

beergod posted:

I assume not much has changed and the cheapest way to get the cards you want is to buy singles, right?

I want to get into competitive Modern but gently caress me why are packs $7 and why are the singles so expensive? Can someone link a competitive deck in the current metagame that is less than like $800?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

If you are going to spend money on fetches for anything in that list that looks like something you are going to play, i would wait a few weeks. You have tons of options below 800 bucks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

beergod posted:

These packs are a special limited edition reprints-only set that they seed with valuable constructed cards. Normally you get them the old fashioned way of being around when they're opened and building up a collection. For the meta check out mtgtop8.com and find something that tickles your fancy. The new set has really brought the price down on poo poo.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't he just trying to farm planeswalkers? Like I doubt he cares about the ones that die after they complete the trials, it seems like he might just be trying to spark as many loyal subjects as he can.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

beergod posted:

Singles are indeed the best way. Packs are expensive because people will pay it.

my two modern decks:

Eldrazi Taxes: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/601497#paper

You could probably build it cheaper, a lot of the value is sideboard stuff which you could replace with whatever. there's mono white and even vialless builds that are even cheaper but :effort:, find em yourself

Skred Red: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-34537#paper

Got top 8 in a 70+ person tournament recently playing almost that exact maindeck so I can vouch for it's competitivemness. Again, you could just not have chalices in the sideboard and suddenly the deck is 200$ cheaper

Also, shop around for heavily/moderately played cards. I know starcitygames gives reasonable discounts on worn cards, other sites probably do as well.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The only people who should ever buy modern masters packs or boxes are limited players. They get additional entertainment and enjoyment from playing a crazy-rear end limited format that only exists for a few weeks. Wizards prints enough for limited players to tire of that format, and then you can buy the singles they opened.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't buy it. If it were only ever limited players that cracked packs then singles prices would be a lot higher. Crack those packs, everyone!

Then trade your poo poo to me.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Singles are indeed the best way. Packs are expensive because people will pay it.

my two modern decks:

Eldrazi Taxes: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/601497#paper

You could probably build it cheaper, a lot of the value is sideboard stuff which you could replace with whatever. there's mono white and even vialless builds that are even cheaper but :effort:, find em yourself

Skred Red: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-34537#paper

Got top 8 in a 70+ person tournament recently playing almost that exact maindeck so I can vouch for it's competitivemness. Again, you could just not have chalices in the sideboard and suddenly the deck is 200$ cheaper

Also, shop around for heavily/moderately played cards. I know starcitygames gives reasonable discounts on worn cards, other sites probably do as well.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I am playing online, which looks significantly cheaper.

Edit: mtgtop8.com looks bigly broken right now btw

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

beergod posted:

Play Burn

Also don't buy packs to build decks, buy packs to play Limited or to gamble

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Play Burn

Also don't buy packs to build decks, buy packs to play Limited or to gamble

No, of course not, I love playing Limited, I was just blown away by how expensive the Modern packs are.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

beergod posted:

No, of course not, I love playing Limited, I was just blown away by how expensive the Modern packs are.

:eyepop: You're getting a hell of a deal on MM17 packs for $7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

odiv posted:

I don't buy it. If it were only ever limited players that cracked packs then singles prices would be a lot higher. Crack those packs, everyone!

Then trade your poo poo to me.

well yeah, there will always be idiots who buy packs but shouldn't, dont worry.

If there are any goons out there who don't like limited and want advice, its simple: never buy packs, just buy singles. If its your birthday or you got a bonus, whatever, go nuts, but its a bad idea if you are not getting the joy from playing limited.

Personally, I ONLY play limited, I save 1 complete set from each modern-legal set I draft, but otherwise I sell all my poo poo to constructed players. Wizards spends most of their time and energy catering to limited players and making sure its fun for them, so I'll stay in that pool since I can afford it.

• Locked thread