Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Please Photoshop eyeball popping Glen into this omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Kelly posted:

You know what I just remembered? Sasha was The Wire guy's sister, right? I had completely forgotten Cutty was even on this dumb show. They keep killing off interesting people.

Is he the one who landed up with a decent role on The Expanse? Because he did pretty alright out of TWD

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm catching up now but Morgan's arc was a really good Christian allegory, about the innocence of the people in the Kingdom, the people who are actually doing what it takes to keep them in their blissful ignorance, and how after accepting the inevitability of murder to defend that ignorance how Morgan (like Carol) could not enter the Kingdom (of God).

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

Maggie misses Eugene as much as the rest of us.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Negan is one of the few good parts of TWD. I didn't like the comic version, but the actor seems to do really well in the role in the show.

It's not the actor, it's the show around him.

He's doing a fine Negan, but the show Negan keeps putting himself in "Someone should try to loving kill me, like, seriously" positions and then people freeze like deer in headlights since he has the most apparent plot armor on TV. There's tons of plot armor on TV, drat it, but his far and away the most obnoxiously in your face.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My issue with negan is he seems way too much like an actor playing an actor thats playing a role in a tv show. He doesn't feel natural or like he belongs in the show. It's like someone gave him a bat, told him to lean and say gently caress a lot and bash some heads and thats all the character notes or backgroumd he got.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My issue with negan is he seems way too much like an actor playing an actor thats playing a role in a tv show. He doesn't feel natural or like he belongs in the show. It's like someone gave him a bat, told him to lean and say gently caress a lot and bash some heads and thats all the character notes or backgroumd he got.

Which is too bad, (and totally true) because Jeffrey Dean Morgan is good stuff. Kind of wasted, but one of the only reason I am still in on the show - I really like him. I suspect I am not the only person who thinks that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's like a comic book villain or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

His dialogue is almost 100% from the comics

This is not a good thing

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I keep expecting him to start getting over the top like "Lucille is hungry for blood baby. Hail to the king. Owww!! Have mercaaaaayyyy!!!!" but it hasn't happened yet and I fear it never well.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Who's got the bigger lady balls, Sasha or Rick?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have gotten a lot more enjoyment from Dave Chapelles performance as Negan.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's not the actor, it's the show around him.

He's doing a fine Negan, but the show Negan keeps putting himself in "Someone should try to loving kill me, like, seriously" positions and then people freeze like deer in headlights since he has the most apparent plot armor on TV. There's tons of plot armor on TV, drat it, but his far and away the most obnoxiously in your face.

Oh I agree completely. I'm just saying I'd much rather watch a bad TWD scene with Negan or Eugene, than one of the dozen Alexandria citizens.

And it's an interesting point on the comic dialog, because Negan as a character does seem to be constantly 'performing' like King Ezekiel. The actors for those two just manage to pull off that act, whereas Rick 'I'm drowning in my own sweat carrrrul' Grimes tends not to.

Oh and Kung Fu morgan is totally show-only and another absolutely insane part of the show I actually really, really enjoy. The flashback episode of him in the cage was probably the only good ep of that type the show has done.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 30, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh and Kung Fu morgan is totally show-only and another absolutely insane part of the show I actually really, really enjoy. The flashback episode of him in the cage was probably the only good ep of that type the show has done.

Why they had to ruin him! I mean at some point discussions like this had to take place:

- People like show Carol! She's a survivor, a woman that rose from an abusive relationship to become a badass! Let's sideline her all season in an emo fit about killing (even though really her breakdown, the writers have forgotten, was bout cookie kid and not killing in general).

- People like show Morgan! He's a badass traps expert that lost his mind but then got it back on and became a kung fu badass! People were looking forward to his return for an entire season! Let's make him idiotically swear off all violence and be the most obnoxious part of the show!

- You know what? Daryl's the fan favorite, the merchandise seller! Let's have him whimper in a cell for 24 hours, act like it was months, and then skulk around being moody all season doing nothing of importance! Just what they want!

- Hey you know, Rosita's pretty cool! She was introduced as a red shirt wearing stupid "hot" outfits, but quickly showed herself as capable and all around charismatic and likable as well as all around capable to the point Abraham looked like a huge shitheel for how he dumped her. But now for the billion dollar idea: Let's turn her into a moody 15 year old with the IQ of a 13 year old! People will love it!

Johnny Truant posted:

His dialogue is almost 100% from the comics

This is not a good thing

People keep landing on it being from the comics and yes, I know the comics are full of stupid and I have never actually read them, but every single time I do an AMC scene by scene, panel to show comparison of something, I almost always go "Ohhhhhh" and see what they were TRYING to do on the show, but replicated badly.

The dialogue might be taken exactly but everything propping it up is considerably shittier. I still hold that Carl scene as a perfect example; both versions, it may have been a stupid plan, but in the comics version the scene flowed and on TV.. let's just say it was very badly directed.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 31, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Now that's art

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mods please close this topic, this is the apex, this right here

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Put a crying dumpster behind them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I still don't buy the "Morgan is a trap expert" argument. He set up a few rudimentary traps that Rick and Carl were able to easily navigate through. Only an idiot bumrushing into his place would have tripped most of them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I still don't buy the "Morgan is a trap expert" argument. He set up a few rudimentary traps that Rick and Carl were able to easily navigate through. Only an idiot bumrushing into his place would have tripped most of them.

They were clearly built to kill zombies primarily so I don't have a problem with that. They are bumrushing idiots.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Comic book dialogue is not actually very good live because the written word is actually very different from the spoken word in how it has to work. Comic book dialogue tends to be really wordy and monologue-y compared to good movie dialogue.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Put a crying dumpster behind them.

I didn't know your mom was an extra in TWD

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

They were clearly built to kill zombies primarily so I don't have a problem with that. They are bumrushing idiots.

Really all they would need to do to have a safe town is have a sharpened line of sheet metal at neck height around the peremeter. As Carol showed they gladly walk right into a dull stopsign post and impale their skulls in slow motion.

The ghost of Cutty should be loving ashamed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not all of them. There were some that were meant to kill humans (hence all the turn back messages etc).

Anyway putting up spikes and bait and make pits etc doesn't take a genius to think of. Anyone could come up with traps like that if they actually stopped to think about doing it. I know the people on the show are stupid but I'd argue Morgan is just "the only guy who thought to build any traps" more than a "trap expert".

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Not all of them. There were some that were meant to kill humans (hence all the turn back messages etc).

Anyway putting up spikes and bait and make pits etc doesn't take a genius to think of. Anyone could come up with traps like that if they actually stopped to think about doing it. I know the people on the show are stupid but I'd argue Morgan is just "the only guy who thought to build any traps" more than a "trap expert".

In the land of the idiots, the one idea man is King.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why they had to ruin him! I mean at some point discussions like this had to take place:

- People like show Carol! She's a survivor, a woman that rose from an abusive relationship to become a badass! Let's sideline her all season in an emo fit about killing (even though really her breakdown, the writers have forgotten, was bout cookie kid and not killing in general).

- People like show Morgan! He's a badass traps expert that lost his mind but then got it back on and became a kung fu badass! People were looking forward to his return for an entire season! Let's make him idiotically swear off all violence and be the most obnoxious part of the show!

- You know what? Daryl's the fan favorite, the merchandise seller! Let's have him whimper in a cell for 24 hours, act like it was months, and then skulk around being moody all season doing nothing of importance! Just what they want!

- Hey you know, Rosita's pretty cool! She was introduced as a red shirt wearing stupid "hot" outfits, but quickly showed herself as capable and all around charismatic and likable as well as all around capable to the point Abraham looked like a huge shitheel for how he dumped her. But now for the billion dollar idea: Let's turn her into a moody 15 year old with the IQ of a 13 year old! People will love it!

The writers keep getting Character Development and Character Assassination mixed up.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I watched the first six seasons of this show with my partner via recordings, because she was a huge fan and really wanted me to see it, and that was tolerable, because the show doesn't feel quite so interminably loving slow when you're watching 1-2 episodes per night.

We've been watching season 7 live as it aired, and if not for her I would have stopped months ago. How the gently caress does anyone watch this show new? It takes a million goddamn years to get anywhere and the writers seem to have some sort of allergy to ever giving anything a satisfying conclusion.

It's like the entire show is just one long period of build-up, to...something, and every season finale is set up like it's going to be the payoff, the big moment they've been building up to, the climax of the show. And then it just...isn't. Tune in next season, maybe it'll finally happen after 16 more loving hours of build-up.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Panzeh posted:

monologue-y

My biggest problem with the later comic issues.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Cannot wait for the super obvious conclusion of this season tomorrow!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tonight is the night Negan folds himself into a 90 degree angle

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Markorjoshua posted:

Cannot wait for the super obvious conclusion of this season tomorrow!

I bet they end on a Game of Thrones shot of armies coming together without realizing that there was like $60 million worth of set pieces to earn them that.

My biggest problem with the later comic issues.

I have to admit, the fact everyone on TV shuts up and lets people make all these dramatic statements is actually starting to grate on me a lot. It feels as fake as the way people talked in 50s movies.

Just once I'd like to have someone's deep 2 minute rant about the meaning of life and how things are gonna be interrupted with a "Shut the gently caress up rear end in a top hat."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 2, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

It feels as fake as the way people talked in 50s movies.

Unless you lived during the 50s, you cannot really say this. They may very well have spoken like that back then.

Then again, TWD sucks donkey balls and is a joy to hatewatch. Maybe people hatewatched back in the 50s as well.
:shrug:

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
i want negan to die

and i want an abbreviated Season 8.

I'm starting to approach Kurt Sutter levels of "gently caress this"

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Going to have to watch this tonight and it feels like a drat chore now, inertia/sunk cost fallacy/whatever you want to call it motivating me to finish this season but I'm probably going to keep it to DVR viewing next season so I can at least skip the commercials.

I'm not looking to be surprised by any element of the plot other than which character(s) will die simply because it's a season finale.

I think this is what hatewatching feels like.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ElectricSheep posted:

Going to have to watch this tonight and it feels like a drat chore now, inertia/sunk cost fallacy/whatever you want to call it motivating me to finish this season but I'm probably going to keep it to DVR viewing next season so I can at least skip the commercials.

I'm not looking to be surprised by any element of the plot other than which character(s) will die simply because it's a season finale.

I think this is what hatewatching feels like.

Welcome to the True TV IV. Your apotheosis is complete.

:getin:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

hatewatching

When a show decides to start filler but fucks it up enough for the story to make no sense.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Excited for a tense action packed finale and to see how they'll defeat Negan. Will really free them up to explore some new themes and ideas next season.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Unless you lived during the 50s, you cannot really say this. They may very well have spoken like that back then.

Then again, TWD sucks donkey balls and is a joy to hatewatch. Maybe people hatewatched back in the 50s as well.
:shrug:

Yes. Unless you directly experience something it does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Just watching last weeks episode now, I'm so glad the finale is tonight because it's a chore to watch, but I watch it weekly with my dad so it's more about hanging out with him than anything :unsmith: he's even starting to get tired of it though