Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dave McKenna did what I felt was a really good piece on Georgetown for Deadspin. It actually has more to do with John Thompson Jr's rivalry with Morgan Wootten (related to the fact that Mike Brey, a Wootten disciple, is on the short list to be the next head coach at Georgetown).

http://deadspin.com/the-power-struggle-at-georgetown-goes-back-to-a-petty-1793666837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not the highest bar to clear (and it got far lower when Gawker finally died) but Dave is their best writer by a mile.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He may be 65, but he's Carrot Top levels of jacked.
Carrot Top roiding up really is one of the strangest timeline changes in universal history

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crazy Ted posted:

Carrot Top roiding up really is one of the strangest timeline changes in universal history

He never recovered from that time Norm MacDonald brutally owned him on Conan, even though he wasn't even there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

He never recovered from that time Norm MacDonald brutally owned him on Conan, even though he wasn't even there.

The whole appearance is incredible, and now 20 years old.

"Do something with that, ya freak..."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

The whole appearance is incredible, and now 20 years old.

"Do something with that, ya freak..."

I'd kind of forgotten that Conan was already pretty overtly talking poo poo about Carrot Top before Norm came in with the knockout blow.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/847083181786513408

Are these so-called NBA players really "resting"? Sitting on the bench, not playing — who knows what they're really up to? Politics, most likely.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How dare the players make money in a league that just signed a $2.6 billion tv deal.

The Venn diagram between the "college basketball is the only real basketball" crowd and "racists" is not quite a perfect circle but it's awfully close

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

Are these so-called NBA players really "resting"? Sitting on the bench, not playing — who knows what they're really up to? Politics, most likely.

Guys, remember when LeBron and Co. were sitting on the bench and "resting" during the NBA Playoffs last year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/846908716180033536

The ringer desperately trying to turn "unicorn" into a thing by awkwardly jamming it into every article is so sad

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

The ringer desperately trying to turn "unicorn" into a thing by awkwardly jamming it into every article is so sad

Plus, Denver is a game back in the 9th spot in the West.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I was about to say, saved it from what, a lottery pick?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

I think the secret is a single elimination tournament that meshes perfectly with a form of gambling that just about anyone can participate in.

Like I enjoy the tourney and stuff but college basketball is such a lower level of basketball compared to the NBA that it's almost like a different sport.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

One of the picks the Bulls used to get Doug McDermott.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I think the secret is a single elimination tournament that meshes perfectly with a form of gambling that just about anyone can participate in.

Like I enjoy the tourney and stuff but college basketball is such a lower level of basketball compared to the NBA that it's almost like a different sport.

I think the one appeal of college basketball is that the pace is slow enough that it's easier to process when you watch it. That doesn't really make it better than the NBA, and it branches from the players being worse, but it does make it more enjoyable to watch in some ways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Dog posted:

I think the one appeal of college basketball is that the pace is slow enough that it's easier to process when you watch it. That doesn't really make it better than the NBA, and it branches from the players being worse, but it does make it more enjoyable to watch in some ways.

That, and at times it does feel like the players are a bit more invested in it, especially come Tourney Time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

That, and at times it does feel like the players are a bit more invested in it, especially come Tourney Time.

come on

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If I'm holding a wrong opinion, going "come on" isn't going to help me fix it. In my (admittedly limited in regards to the NBA) observations, it feels much more likely to see a college kid crying on the court after getting eliminated than a pro.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

iospace posted:

If I'm holding a wrong opinion, going "come on" isn't going to help me fix it. In my (admittedly limited in regards to the NBA) observations, it feels much more likely to see a college kid crying on the court after getting eliminated than a pro.

How many NBA game 7s of non-finals have you watched? Be honest. Win-or-go-home playoff is the reason, not because the kid that is going to play in Italy next year 'wants it more'.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gerund posted:

How many NBA game 7s of non-finals have you watched? Be honest. Win-or-go-home playoff is the reason, not because the kid that is going to play in Italy next year 'wants it more'.

Honestly none. Which is why I said my NBA observations are much more limited.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Stop trying to make fetch happen Ringer.

Headline aside, I enjoyed that article about Michael Pena.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They do know unicorns aren't real, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

iospace posted:

Honestly none. Which is why I said my NBA observations are much more limited.

Amare punched a fire extinguisher losing a game in a series. Dirk wrecked an exercise bike. Guys cry all the time, but usually only when they win it all. Losing is typically anger at everything and everyone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not sure why it's a controversial statement to say that college basketball players care more. For a huge percentage of them, it is the last bit of Basketball they will ever play, so of course it means a bit more.

It's not knocking the commitment of NBA players to say that, either. They care too. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mahoning posted:

I'm not sure why it's a controversial statement to say that college basketball players care more. For a huge percentage of them, it is the last bit of Basketball they will ever play, so of course it means a bit more.

It's not knocking the commitment of NBA players to say that, either. They care too. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.

When people bring up who cares more it's always for condemnations sake, otherwise there is no real point in doing it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And there is always the part where people confuse lack of technique with effort. Sometimes that mad scramble for that loose rebound isn't because they care more, but because there isn't a great rebounder there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

College women care the most because they bust their rear end in front of like 40 people

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
One thing college ball has going for it is there's no tanking involved, teams like the one I root for just really are that bad. Not that the NBA is the only professional league where teams tank obviously, but it does feel extra brazen at times.

I don't know what the answer to that would be though, since like the Lakers for instance really need to tank as I understand things. Maybe getting rid of protected picks in trades might help a little? I'm not versed enough in NBA front office stuff to know if that's a good idea or not. But either way teams are still going to want those earlier draft picks.

Anyway none of that means college players care more though, just that there's incentive for front offices to ignore their players who almost all do want to win and shut down the players who give them the best chance to do so. Losing sucks whether you're getting paid to do it or not.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
A bunch of teenagers/early 20's guys are probably going to be more emotional and worse at hiding said emotions. They don't care more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Other sports "tank" as well. When a baseball team isn't going to make the playoffs and sells off their veterans for prospects it's mostly the same deal, but because even the worst teams in MLB win like a third of their games it's not as noticeable. The 76ers long-term tankoff was an outlier for a reason, and gives you a pretty good idea of why teams don't do it -- there aren't any guarantees, the financial pressure is too big, and organizations like winning from top to bottom.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

A bunch of teenagers/early 20's guys are probably going to be more emotional and worse at hiding said emotions. They don't care more.

I cared more about EVERYTHING when I was that age. Its all you have. No wife or kids, not jaded by life yet.

This is a stupid argument, but I don't understand why so many people seemed to get so offended by the statement that they felt the need to white knight NBA players.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

morestuff posted:

Other sports "tank" as well. When a baseball team isn't going to make the playoffs and sells off their veterans for prospects it's mostly the same deal, but because even the worst teams in MLB win like a third of their games it's not as noticeable.

I think I'd argue that this is not the same thing as shutting down the players you know will be part of your future for dubious injury reasons with the very specific goal of losing games in mind. I guess you could argue pitch counts on young pitchers is kinda the same but I'm not really buying it. But yeah I'd imagine tanking happens to at least some extent in every professional sport, and shouldn't be subject to scare quotes. It happens, it's a strategy.

This is a different conversation than the dumb who cares more thing, and also different from the 'NBA stars aren't dedicated' thing because that's people complaining about good teams trying to rest for playoff runs. So I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
NFL teams tank too when they are out of the playoffs, it's just 20% of the NFL season is only 3 games. NBA Tanking is no worse than any other pro league, but there are too many regular season games anyway so it feels more stretched out than it actually is. Most any NBA player who is suited up and on the floor is trying his hardest to win the game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

I cared more about EVERYTHING when I was that age. Its all you have. No wife or kids, not jaded by life yet.

This is a stupid argument, but I don't understand why so many people seemed to get so offended by the statement that they felt the need to white knight NBA players.

Because it's a dumb cliche that is typically rooted in a lot of really gross stereotypes rather than in reality. Like a big chunk of the reason people always talk about how college players care more, work harder, play more defense, have better fundamentals, etc etc is because it's a significantly whiter sport

Like of course NBA players care. Being a professional athlete is absurdly hard and inheriently requires a really competitive person. They've dedicated their entire lives to the sport and the NBA title is the absolute pinnacle of it. Additionally it can completely change how a player is perceived and his legacy. If LeBron hadn't won multiple titles there would be way more skip baylesses out there making GBS threads on him constantly as a choker. And from a practical standpoint being perceived as a winner can be worth literally millions. Derrick Fisher got to play basketball for like 10 years longer than he should have AND got a lucrative coaching job in large part because he was considered a player who "knew how to win"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grittybeard posted:

One thing college ball has going for it is there's no tanking involved, teams like the one I root for just really are that bad. Not that the NBA is the only professional league where teams tank obviously, but it does feel extra brazen at times.

I don't know what the answer to that would be though, since like the Lakers for instance really need to tank as I understand things. Maybe getting rid of protected picks in trades might help a little? I'm not versed enough in NBA front office stuff to know if that's a good idea or not. But either way teams are still going to want those earlier draft picks.

No, the only thing that could stop tanking would be to remove record from being a factor in draft position. Something similar to the Wheel that Grantland proposed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

No, the only thing that could stop tanking would be to remove record from being a factor in draft position. Something similar to the Wheel that Grantland proposed.

The wheel wasn't a grantland idea, it was an actual proposal from someone in the Celtics front office that they (and a bunch of other people) wrote about

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

The wheel wasn't a grantland idea, it was an actual proposal from someone in the Celtics front office that they (and a bunch of other people) wrote about

Gotcha. Thanks!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That's also a dumb idea because drafts are important for parity (even though they are terrible from a labor standpoint). The real way to stop tanking is to make the order determined by a three year aggregate record because not many teams are going to have the balls (idiocy?) to do what the 76ers did and there's no guarantee that when you finally are bad enough over 3 years to get #1 overall, that it'll be a good draft.

The real issue with tanking is people complaining about tanking. It's a legitimate strategy, bad teams need good young played to get good, it's not rocket science and there's nothing wrong with it. lovely owners, dumb GMs and nepotism are the actual culprits for subpar products and doing anything to curtail tanking is purely symptom treating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

They do know unicorns aren't real, right?

Eh. An alternate meaning for unicorn these days is a successful tech bubble company (the original metric was over a 1 billion valuation)

It was mostly chosen because unicorns are rare mythical creatures just like the companies that hit that valuation

This does not explain what the Ringer is doing by trying to call seemingly everything a unicorn.