Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Andorra posted:

I'm just wondering, what would those stats be if Alaska wasn't included at all, neither its land or population?
First off, when running the numbers, I realized I had the math off - the 50% is actually within ~2% of the land and the next 31% is in the remaining ~1.05%, for 81% of the US population living on 3.05% of the land as of 2010. That said:

This is a rough estimate but: Alaska's population is about 66% urban and Alaska's land area is about 17.5% of the total US landmass. If you remove Alaska from the totals, then we get these figures:

80.9% of the population lives on 3.6% of the land when wholly excluding Alaska but keeping Puerto Rico and Hawaii as in the original figures. Thus 19.1% lives on the remaining 96.4% of the land.

If you then subtract Hawaii and Puerto Rico as well as Alaska, and just deal with the 48 contiguous states, then it's 80.7% of the population living on 3.57% of the land.

The separation between the 2% and 1.05% or so in the all country figures is meant to be, roughly, an attempt to delineate the population in the cities proper and inner dense suburbs versus the population in the less dense but still far denser than rural area outer suburbs. The data easily accessible when you're trying to factor out Alaska/Hawaii/Puerto Rico doesn't really let you calculate how that changes, though it probably lowers the cities/inner suburbs a bit and raises the outer suburbs a bit, as Hawaii and Alaska both have populations heavily concentrated in the few cities and their inner suburban areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Atlas Obscrura posted:

During World War II, the painter, illustrator, and cartoonist William Gropper offered his services to the U.S. Treasury Department and the White House’s Office of War Information. He received a “Citation in recognition of fine assistance” from the Treasury Department and personal thanks from Franklin Delano Roosevelt, for “giving pictorial form to specific war information objectives” through propaganda posters and paintings. It seemed logical that after the war, the State Department, too, would find value in the famous artist’s social-realist portrayal of American culture—a logic that would soon find Gropper trapped within the surrealist labyrinth of McCarthyism.

Between 1946 and 1953, the State Department’s Overseas Library Program collected and distributed some 1,744 copies of William Gropper’s America: Its Folklore, a colorful depiction of 61 legends, tall tales, and literary heroes—characters like super-sized cowboy Pecos Bill in New Mexico, steel-driving phenom John Henry in Alabama, and witty trickster Br’er Rabbit in Georgia—superimposed over a familiar projection of the Lower 48.

The purchase was part of postwar efforts to disseminate “facts and solidly documented explanations of the United States.” Based on a painting Gropper completed in 1945, the 34-by-23-inch pictorial map was published by Associated American Artists, and sold by mail order—$5.00 unframed, $14.50 mounted—in the New York Times, Life, and other popular publications. An accompanying 16-page brochure told viewers more about Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, and their folkloric ilk...

But the cartographic darling fell from grace in the spring of 1953, when attorney Roy Cohn toured State Department libraries around the world as part of his and Senator Joseph McCarthy’s crusade against Communism. Cohn identified William Gropper as one of the “fringe supporters and sympathizers” whose supposedly Communist-directed works had infiltrated the Overseas Library Program. Gropper was promptly subpoenaed to appear before the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations—and earned the dubious distinction of being among the first blacklisted artists in McCarthy-era America.

No matter that Gropper had, in fact, tried his hand at mapmaking; no matter that Gropper was not, in fact, a Communist. The damage was done. The next day, the left-leaning, 55-year-old Jewish artist from Brooklyn found his name on the front page of national and local newspapers. The message sent down from McCarthy’s perch in the Senate was clear: William Gropper was a Red. His map was un-American.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oil basins = Green
Gas basins = pink

The lines are pipelines.

Not sure why the image doesn't have labels, here's the original:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/united-states-of-oil/

I had no idea there were such reserves in Appalachia.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Oil basins = Green
Gas basins = pink

The lines are pipelines.

What did you think all the fracking was for?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

Oil basins = Green
Gas basins = pink

The lines are pipelines.

Back in the 19th century, Pennslyvania was like Texas or Saudi Arabia is today, in terms of oil production. That's why you still have brands of oil-based products around like Pennzoil and Quaker State that reference Pennslyvania.

There's even an Oil City, PA which was founded near where some of the first major oil well sites were drilled in the 1850s.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The history of the early oil market is really interesting. Back in the day oil was transported in wooden barrels, so there was a huge market for coopers and lumber which usually deforested the area. Oil was also orrery much first come first served so there was a big rush to drink up the milkshake leading to crashes in the commodity price, ruining small operators and eventually leading to monopoly under Rockefeller.

Pennsylvania *could* have been saudia Arabia has there been any sense of planning or management of the resource.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pennsylvania *could* have been saudia Arabia has there been any sense of planning or management of the resource.

with republicans in power it still can be!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

Yeah. There was even a documentary about it and the socio-economic changes that it brought on the people who discovered it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/847026878078627840

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yellow is Rojava, black is ISIS (whoof they're in trouble), red is Assad, green looks like generic "rebels," but what's the teal in the north?

Based on this map it's listed as "FSA groups and Turkish troops in Northern Syria" but I'm not really sure who that is. Did Turkey just straight up invade that area so that the Kurds couldn't unify Rojava, or is more just them supporting local Turkmen militias?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Duckbag posted:

Did Turkey just straight up invade that area so that the Kurds couldn't unify Rojava, or is more just them supporting local Turkmen militias?

It's a mix of both.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Duckbag posted:

Did Turkey just straight up invade that area so that the Kurds couldn't unify Rojava, or is more just them supporting local Turkmen militias?

Mostly the first

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

How the hell does 'Cymry' count as 'other or uncertain' and not 'other peoples'? It literally means 'Welsh people' in Welsh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
More accurately, "Country people".

Yeah, Wales's name in Welsh is basically "Country". :downs:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

More accurately, "Country people".

Yeah, Wales's name in Welsh is basically "Country". :downs:

better than what you lot call us.

Though it was a good warning to the rest of the world to the character of the English people that one of the first things they did as a people was to show up in someone else's country and label them all 'foreigners'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Germanic tribes did that poo poo everywhere. There's Wallonia, Wallachia and I'm pretty sure there's one in Switzerland, though I can't remember the specific name right now.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Fun fact: the only named place on this map is the small town of Sarrin, because its grain silos are the original cause of this map. Back in 2015, these silos were an incredibly resilient stronghold of Daesh and it took the YPG months to clear them out, leading to a meme that grain silos are some sort of super defense infrastructure.

Which, what with them being huge towers of thick concrete looking over flat farmland, is not that far-fetched.

Also, grain-production-syria.jpg

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Germanic tribes did that poo poo everywhere. There's Wallonia, Wallachia and I'm pretty sure there's one in Switzerland, though I can't remember the specific name right now.

Valais/Wallis

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Valais/Wallis

In the German language, there is also the more general term "Welschland", which apparently used to be a generic term for territories where Romance languages were spoken (mostly France and Italy). Presumably the Polish name for Italy, "Włochy", is derived from this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Valais/Wallis
I thought that was derived from Latin vallis, not Germanic walhaz. Wales and Wallonia are both derived from the latter, not the former. Wales is the Pays de Galles in French (and just Gales in old Anglo-Norman), and Wallonia is just Wallonie, so if that Swiss territory's name was derived from Walhaz rather than Vallis wouldn't the French form of its name start with a G- or W- instead of a V-?

e: See also how the Germanic William/Wilhelm becomes Guillaume in French, but Latin Victor keeps its V.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Deutsch, Dutch, and all that stuff originally meant "of the people". So Deutschland is "the country of the people" and Deutsch is "the language of the people".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Well, "language".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know we already moved beyond the discussion of world map projections, but I only just discovered this image, and I gotta share.

Screw the Mercator haters.

source

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The river Humber is the wedge between York East and Lincoln, so this map works as timeline of the decline of the Kingdom of Northumbria.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Echo Chamber posted:

I know we already moved beyond the discussion of world map projections, but I only just discovered this image, and I gotta share.

source

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just read The man in the high castle :3:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

Just read The man in the high castle :3:

I'm guessing the lack of a Mediterranean sea is on purpose?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Nazis nukes the sea out of existence and it's now farmland.

Africa is also basically just Skull Mountain: A mountain made of skulls.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I've always liked/hated how all these fractured United States alt-histories always keep the Mexican and Canadian borders the same like nothing happened. You can't possibly think that Canada wouldn't carve off Maine or Mexico wouldn't take a bite off the southwest if they were reduced to tiny rump states with no Federal Military to protect them. How would 1800's Washington State with it's population of six lumberjacks avoid being annexed by British backed Canada?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

galagazombie posted:

I've always liked/hated how all these fractured United States alt-histories always keep the Mexican and Canadian borders the same like nothing happened. You can't possibly think that Canada wouldn't carve off Maine or Mexico wouldn't take a bite off the southwest if they were reduced to tiny rump states with no Federal Military to protect them. How would 1800's Washington State with it's population of six lumberjacks avoid being annexed by British backed Canada?

Well in this specific instance, there's massive Japanese and German armies on hand to stop Canada and Mexico from doing anything, and also to keep Canada from being meaningful opposition to either power.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
So how come canada didn't get conquered?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this too, Canada fought against Germany in World War II so presumably they would have also been conquered.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

Canada surrenders early and becomes a neutral zone, forever at risk of being invaded by the Japanese or Germans anyway. America on the other hand kept fighting to the bitter end, so gets split into the 2 occupied territories and the neutral buffer country in the middle.

You'll notice of course that since Newfoundland and Labrador never had time to join up with Canada after the war, the Germans own it since they own the UK directly. So Canada is pretty well hemmed in by the Japanese Pacific States on the west and the German US and Newfoundland on the east.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Because Dick didn't really care or talk about it.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/the-map-in-the-high-castle-ii

Relevant bits:

quote:

In Philip K. Dick's original novel, the references to geography are deliberately, tantalizingly scant. Can a map —especially a fictional one — be too precise?

quote:

Most of the story is set in the Pacific States of America, a Japanese puppet state on the West Coast. The exact nature of Japanese domination is never discussed, and there is just one reference to the extent of the PSA's territory:

If he failed to get justification there, he would make his way to one of the Import-Export Trade Missions which operated out of Tokyo, and which had offices throughout California, Oregon, Washington, and the parts of Nevada included in the Pacific States of America. But if he failed successfully to plead there... Plans roamed his mind as he lay in bed gazing up at the ancient light fixture in the ceiling. He could for instance slip across into the Rocky Mountain States.

The Pacific States of America are mentioned only three times in the book (and referenced another 15 times as "PSA"). The quote above is as precise as its geography gets.

The Rocky Mountain States get only two mentions in full, one of which in the quote above, and only three times as "RMS." We know that Canon City, Colorado, lies in the RMS, and that the Nazi rockets flying to the West Coast have no interest in "Utah, Wyoming or the eastern part of Nevada," presumably meaning these lands are part of the RMS. Of their political makeup, we only know, again mentioned only in passing, that they are "loosely banded to the PSA."

The book mentions a separate entity for the South (the former Confederate States of America). This would make sense from a divide-and-conquer point of view, but little if any mention is made as to the actual status of the South within (or outside) the "new" US. The world outside North America is described with an even broader brush, but the few elements we hear paint a terrifying picture of the effect of a worldwide Axis victory. The Germans have drained the Mediterranean and turned the seabed into farmland. It also says they have landed on both the moon and Mars. German ally Italy has been "rewarded" with its own “little empire in the Middle East.” The Japanese are clearing rainforest in South America to build cities. They also control large swathes of the Asia-Pacific area, including Australia and New Zealand.

You also get alternative maps

Opening credits:

Original cover:

Different cover:

The one shown that forgot about Canada, so they decided to make it free:

Probably the most reasonable map:

Probably the best:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can tell it's fantasy because Italy has something remotely resembling an actual empire.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Echo Chamber posted:

source

I like this map. If you continued even further south it'd turn into that old Powers of Ten video...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

HookShot posted:

You can tell it's fantasy because Italy has something remotely resembling an actual empire.

Also draining the Mediterranean would probably create hundred of miles of salt flats and brackish malaria swamps rather than farmland. Plus it might reroute the gulf stream and freeze half of Europe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, Dick's writing is very coherent for someone with schizophrenia who is self-medicating with methamphetamine and LSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duckbag posted:

Also draining the Mediterranean would probably create hundred of miles of salt flats and brackish malaria swamps rather than farmland. Plus it might reroute the gulf stream and freeze half of Europe.

The salt haboobs would be horrendous.