Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm always a little disturbed at how many MST3k features I've seen on their own, outside of the show. Off the top of my head I remember watching Time Chasers, Diabolik, and Merlin's Shop. It was so weird to come back to them later on on MST3k. I'd be thinking "wait did I see this one before? The scenes are familiar but I don't remember any of the jokes!"

Anyone else have the same experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Island feels like it's pretty rife for Rifftrax, honestly. It's just The Clonus Horror with some huge celebrity power and major Microsoft product placement.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Burkion posted:

Hey, MST3K is the whole reason he won his lawsuit against The Island

So he should be grateful

I knew about the lawsuit, but how does MST3k factor in?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I knew about the lawsuit, but how does MST3k factor in?

No one would have known about the movie, and thus alerted the director, without the episode.

Its exposure on MST3K is why fans got the director to notice and believe he could take them to court.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
How would anyone who has seen it rate the Rifftrax Time Chasers live riff vs. the original MST3K one? I haven't seen the former but the latter is one of my favorite episodes of the entire run of the show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ComposerGuy posted:

How would anyone who has seen it rate the Rifftrax Time Chasers live riff vs. the original MST3K one? I haven't seen the former but the latter is one of my favorite episodes of the entire run of the show.

Its weird when they follow something that nailed it. So Its good but like the movie the jokes were familiar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've tried but I can't make Rifftrax work for me and I feel bad about it. Something about not having the interstitial sketches, frame story and layered image makes me want to riff the movie myself more than I want to watch other people riff it.

I need the puppet show to make it work!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bicyclops posted:

I've tried but I can't make Rifftrax work for me and I feel bad about it. Something about not having the interstitial sketches, frame story and layered image makes me want to riff the movie myself more than I want to watch other people riff it.

It largely depends on episode of Rifftrax. But making stuff up wholecloth isnt mike and crews greatest strength. It was Joel Trace and Franks. That said both are very loving funny.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ComposerGuy posted:

I don't remember enough about the riffs to compare them, but if you're a fan of the film (and you don't mind the $13-$15 cost) it's worth getting the Rifftrax version if only for the scenes that were cut from the MST3k version for time, such as the bizarre conversation with the cab driver and the extended bicycle chase sequence.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't remember enough about the riffs to compare them, but if you're a fan of the film (and you don't mind the $13-$15 cost) it's worth getting the Rifftrax version if only for the scenes that were cut from the MST3k version for time, such as the bizarre conversation with the cab driver and the extended bicycle chase sequence.

Speaking of which, do you think the new season will be edited to fit a certain length, or will they take full advantage of the online distribution and make the episode length irregular?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Diabolik is such a good finale. The new show better have one Hell of an opener.

Don't worry, they do. I know I posted a bit about 1101 a few weeks back after the backer screening, but they knocked it out of the park on the first episode.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Speaking of which, do you think the new season will be edited to fit a certain length, or will they take full advantage of the online distribution and make the episode length irregular?

I hope they go with flexible run times, though there are definitely films that could use a little bit (or a lot) of trimming. For example, I hope they eventually get around to After Last Season (trailer, full movie) but that film could easily be trimmed by 10-20 minutes without losing anything.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jack Gladney posted:

Was Catalina Caper the only studio film they did? I know Space Travelers was really Marooned, but it got the Sandy Frank treatment. Seeing the Warner logo was quite a shock.

Oh, there was almost another. They tried to get the rights to Moment By Moment...the John Travolta/Lily Tomlin sex movie which was Universal. But I think Universal's trying to completely bury the fact they did that movie.

Mokinokaro posted:

Clonus is another one like Diabolik and Time Chasers in that the movie is perfectly enjoyable on its own.

Clonus is my unwatchable one. It's just so loving depressing. I got through it and pretty much said "Yeah, I'm not doing that again."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm always a little disturbed at how many MST3k features I've seen on their own, outside of the show. Off the top of my head I remember watching Time Chasers, Diabolik, and Merlin's Shop. It was so weird to come back to them later on on MST3k. I'd be thinking "wait did I see this one before? The scenes are familiar but I don't remember any of the jokes!"

Anyone else have the same experience?

When I was a kid, I saw The Deadly Mantis on a local independent UHF station back when those were still a thing. I didn't remember a whole lot, but certain scenes were familiar when I saw it on MST3K.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Clonus is my unwatchable one. It's just so loving depressing. I got through it and pretty much said "Yeah, I'm not doing that again."

Holy crap, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I love Rifftrax, but I find it way more hit or miss than Mike's MST3k run. Some films really do need those host breaks and are a total chore to watch in one sitting. There's no real pattern to what Rifftrax nails either, though their shorts have a higher success rate with me personally. Any of the AFI films, Shake Hands with Danger, etc. Check out their Twilight riff too, that one is absolute gold.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I enjoy Rifftrax almost as much as MST3k (maybe more, because Rifftrax tends to hit on some better movies, and the live shows are a lot of fun), but, to be fair, I generally have a pretty low bar for enjoying movie riffs and if someone whose podcast or TV show I like makes one I usually watch a movie with it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The best reaction had to be Miles O'Keefe. He called Best Brains right after Cavedwellers aired to ask for a copy. The guys were crapping themselves thinking he was going to be pissed and come to kick their asses.

Don't forget Beverley Garland -- she was a huge fan and helped out with some of their bumpers and specials.

We've been watching Rifftrax lately as a bunch are free on Amazon Prime. Zindy the Swamp Boy is....unexpectedly dark.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ComposerGuy posted:

It's been too long since I've seen the MST3K version, but the Rifftrax one is pretty strong. If anything, it makes me disappointed that the MST3K version lacks Paul Bearer references for the fat executive guy.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Bicyclops posted:

I feel the same way. They were also kind of tainted for me; I gave some of the very first ones a go when they came out, and it was just Mike. There was something very depressing about Mike riffing all alone. :(

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TerminalSaint posted:

I feel the same way. They were also kind of tainted for me; I gave some of the very first ones a go when they came out, and it was just Mike. There was something very depressing about Mike riffing all alone. :(

Agreed. I did not come back till the rest of the crew joined him as there was something about a single person commentary that did not mesh with me.

I am glad I did though. The rifftraxs for the Matrix Sequels are comedy gold.

Edit: Oh, I did not know there were a bunch of Rifftraxs on Amazon Prime. Thank you! This will help with waiting for the new season.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 30, 2017

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I've only seen a few Rifftrax but I've loved all their live shows, and their riff on Titanic is gold.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The best reaction had to be Miles O'Keefe. He called Best Brains right after Cavedwellers aired to ask for a copy. The guys were crapping themselves thinking he was going to be pissed and come to kick their asses.

Well that is a lot of Keefe.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Overdrawn in the Memory Bank is a clever story that deserved a better movie. It sort of reminds me of something Red Dwarf would have done. Plus, Raul Julia is always good.

Girl in Gold Boots is a blast to watch on its own because it's so sleazy. I seriously think it's the best episode of Season 10 and would put it in my top ten.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We watched Pumaman and she was bored to tears and hardly laughed. Then we watched Teenagers from Outer Space and she had a blast. I hope some of the new season is like Teenagers.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Rifftrax is super hit or miss for me. It seems like sometimes they're just bored as hell with the material, and sometimes they're fascinated or enraged.

Some of those hits though--- Twilight, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, Setting Up A Room...

Their shorts are usually a sure thing.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I've bought all of the Rifftrax shorts and I can safely say that the shorts are the best stuff they do.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Sometime around '89/'90 I watched Zombie Nightmare on one of USA Network's Saturday night b-movie features.

I had definitely seen Squirm in the late '80s as well on a local station.

I watched a lot of the Universal movies from early season 8 on the local UHF channels when I was a kid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We watched Pumaman and she was bored to tears and hardly laughed. Then we watched Teenagers from Outer Space and she had a blast. I hope some of the new season is like Teenagers.

I think Pewmayman is less funny for me because of the riffs and more funny for me because of how poorly done the film is. All of the funniest bits of the episode are where they point out ridiculous things like the bad rear projection, the fact that Tony is a totally useless numbskull in just about every fight he's in, the fact that Vadino is infinitely more competent than him, etc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Clouseau posted:

Rifftrax is super hit or miss for me. It seems like sometimes they're just bored as hell with the material, and sometimes they're fascinated or enraged.

Some of those hits though--- Twilight, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, Setting Up A Room...

Their shorts are usually a sure thing.

I'm constantly amused that Rifftrax have technically done Roadhouse 3 times at this point. (Once with Mike on his own, once with Mike, Kev and Bill, and then AGAIN with all 3 a decade later)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is a good interview:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/creator-joel-hodgson-on-the-return-of-mystery-science-t-1793682355

Joel wants to do 100 episodes with Jonah.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Quoted from A Good Interview in the post above:

quote:

Given that the new series is on Netflix, and has no commercials or time constraints, I didn’t expect that it would still stick to being 90 minutes long, with three host segments in the middle, and even bumpers for commercial breaks. Why do that?

Hodgson:
I love those little remnants that are in TV shows, like, they’re going to a commercial break. If you watch The Walking Dead... there are moments where you know it’s supposed to go to a commercial. You can feel it. And it doesn’t. But it’s a little reminder that, “Oh, they were going to go to commercial there.” I really love that. And I think it’s good for the viewer. It’s a little bit of a palette cleanser.

And it was also kind of a remnant from the original show that I was trying to send a little love tap to people who were longtime fans and watched the shows on VHS. And in the narrative of the show, Inga’s kind of maniacal and wants to blow up the brand, and so she’s using that to kind of reinforce that you’re watching this slick TV show, and they have a house band... they’re promoting it back to you as you’re watching it. You know?
So, even though Joel did not confirm it directly, I guess they're going for a certain format rather than irregular length.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ringu0 posted:

So, even though Joel did not confirm it directly, I guess they're going for a certain format rather than irregular length.

Suddenly I'm wondering if there'll someday be an afterlife for netflix/amazon originals: in reruns on basic cable and/or local UHF stations. If a show is already in the correct format, with pre-made slots for commercials and everything, it'd make that a lot easier. (I know their whole business model is to beat TV at its own game, but hey, you never know.)

(As an aside, are "UHF" stations even in the UHF band anymore? It's just occurred to me I have no idea what the actual frequencies are that digital TV uses.)

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm wondering if there'll someday be an afterlife for netflix/amazon originals: in reruns on basic cable and/or local UHF stations. If a show is already in the correct format, with pre-made slots for commercials and everything, it'd make that a lot easier. (I know their whole business model is to beat TV at its own game, but hey, you never know.)

(As an aside, are "UHF" stations even in the UHF band anymore? It's just occurred to me I have no idea what the actual frequencies are that digital TV uses.)

I was wondering if the new episodes were going to have commercial bumpers and all that. I'm sure that the possibility of rebroadcast on commercial tv was partially the reason. I mean I'm a long time watcher of MST3k but I don't think I'd feel 'nostalgic' about a few seconds of a dropped in break. Not counting scenes on the satellite, of course.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

I want to say all TV stations are on VHF now and the UHF band got repurposed for like 4G and stuff. But I could be talking out my rear end because I only half remember; a quick scan of Wikipedia sort of bears this out though. Some UHF channels are still used, but nothing over 51.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 30, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well that is a lot of Keefe.

If only there were a quantitative unit of measurement to work out just how much Keefe it is....

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I want to say all TV stations are on VHF now and the UHF band got repurposed for like 4G and stuff. But I could be talking out my rear end because I only half remember; a quick scan of Wikipedia sort of bears this out though. Some UHF channels are still used, but nothing over 51.

Actually, most stations moved from VHF to UHF since indoor antennas pick up digital broadcasts on UHF channels better than VHF channels and the "VHF-Lo" band of channels 2-6 is virtually deserted these days because they are much more susceptible to interference than the VHF-Hi and UHF bands. Channels above 51 were auctioned off to cellular providers in 2007. The FCC is actually wrapping up another auction of UHF TV frequencies (this time above channel 37) with the expectation that multiple separately-licensed broadcasters will be willing to share the same signal using virtual channel numbers in exchange for a cash infusion (from the cellular providers who want to buy their spectrum).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 30, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Sorry for the double-post but a bunch of stuff related to the new season just went up. First, MST3K.com has an all-new design (and some kind of community/discussion feature I think? you need to sign up to see exactly what it is and I'm too lazy to do it right now). Next Nerdist and Variety have new articles with some behind-the-scenes details on the new season. Finally, the BBFC (UK film/television ratings agency) posted some information on the new season including a brief plot synopsis of the film featured in S11E02 and the run-times for all the episodes (generally 90 minutes +/- a few).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 30, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I registered my account, but there's really nothing there yet apart from the blog. The store links aren't even working yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Natalie from Werewolf has the same accent as Tommy Wiseau. I think she's secretly his cousin.