Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

On the subject of session background music, Ghosts I-IV is good if you're on a budget (and some tracks with drums are good for combat in any case) but if you want a proper nWoD scene track from Trent Reznor you'll probably want to shell out for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo OST, which is far lighter on piano and heavier on drone and non-drum percussion (they sound, on balance, like a more polished take on Bloodlines' ambient tracks, which is what you want). eg. Reznor's other soundtrack work might also fit but Social Network was a little too Ghosts-y for my taste.

Drone-heavy soundtracks are going to be your friend in general. Use "Henry Plainview" in a scene where the characters discover something wrong or upsetting, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'm in the planning stages for a Mage game I'm going to be hopefully running in a month or two after I wrap up my current pair and I could really use some help cooking up some NPCs if anyone is up for that. So the game takes place in 2047, 35 years after the Reveal in the New Kerguelen Islands and focuses around exploring and investigating them.

The brief gist of it is that sometime in 2032 the Kerguelen Islands we've got now vanished and were replaced by strange new, bigger set of islands with its own other-worldly ecology and some 200,000 odd people who as far as they're concerned have always lived there since the place was settled in the early 1800s and never really found it weird they had little contact with the outside world until now. Mages are of course keen to finding out what the hell happened and investigate all the spooky weirdness on the islands. Turns out though the islands themselves don't appear to be all that keen on mages being there, those that aren't careful about concealing their identities and avoiding paradox tend to end up never being heard from again for reasons that continue to remain frustratingly unknown.

After several years of absolutely no progress and hundreds of mages lost to the Islands the Pentacle got together with the Exchange, the Ministry of Mammon's rebranding after their defection from the Seers, and the orders allied to it to form the International Kerguelan Expedition Agency with some support from various governments to go about seeing what the hell is up. Since only a limited number of expedition teams, essentially purpose made cabals, are allow on the Island at any one time and the Agency only accepts the most promising candidates competition to get in is crazy fierce.

So with all that said who'd be interested in making some mages for exploring spookyland so I don't stress myself out over making a dozen plus mages? I really only need basic information: what they're like, any sort of gimmick they have to define them, and shadow name.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
haha IKEA

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For soundtrack, Zoar's 'In the Bloodlit Dark' is amazing - but also hard to get. It has songs like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFZXm6y1CE

On a more generally applicable note, Hearts of Space is cheap and basically indispensible. Hour-long thematic sets of certain types of music - e.g. Indian devotional, Gothic Ambient, California Weird New Wave.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So my Mage players are working on concepts. One is going all in on Matter manipulation to build robots and I don't think I want to stop him.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Cease to Hope posted:

i recall seeing something to this effect in a FATAL & Friends post, i just don't remember the context

That's me, and I really need to get back to that review, goddamn. Admin stuff at uni has been kicking my arse lately, and also personal life stuff has been keeping me away from the keyboard (good personal life stuff, don't worry).

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I feel the same about using historical people like that.

I'd love to see your thesis! I only study history for my own pleasure, but I can usually find my way through academic papers on it.

And I love talking about it, but I suspect I've derailed the thread enough, and I'm not too sure how to make it relevant to WoD. Also, I don't have that much to show yet, as I've only just started, so probably the best I can show you is a whole bunch of scattered notes and the proposal I put into the faculty office (which has been approved, but my enrollment is still pending while the wheels of uni bureaucracy turn and New Zealand's extremely efficient student loans service, Studylink, sorts its poo poo out). Officially, I start May 1st. Unofficially, I haven't done any writing yet, but I am taking a gently caress ton of notes already while I wait for the admin stuff to sort itself out.

I'm writing on the Vandal Kingdom of fifth- and sixth-century Africa: what it meant to be a Vandal in the kingdom, what it meant to be a Roman, and if the Vandals ever had any kind of coherent ethnic policy or made any sustained attempts to create a unified people out of the two cultures before Justinian's invasion swept them away. Here is a hopefully working link to the proposal in PDF form, if you are interested in reading it. I am aware there are a couple of typoes, so try not to judge them too harshly :blush:

In an attempt to actually make this relevant to the rest of the thread, I have some possible WoD hooks for the Vandals and Late Antique Africa:
  • Slightly before the Vandal takeover of North Africa, a Romano-African writer named Martianus Capella publishes a book called The Wedding of Philology and Mercury. Generally agreed by modern scholars to be one of the finest examples of Latin writing of the age, the Wedding is about the marriage of Philology, an allegorical maiden of a sort very common in late Antique writing (see also Boethius and the Consolation of Philosophy, in which Philosophy appears as a literal woman to console Boethius in prison) whose name literally means "the love of learning," to Mercury in his role as the god of intellectual pursuits. The work itself is deeply allegorical. Philology is attended by seven servants representing each of the seven liberal arts of classical learning, and two more mute servants representing the (perceived as) less refined arts of architecture and medicine, and the wedding procession passes through the spheres of the planets and celestial bodies, flanked about by a dazzling array of gods and creatures from classical myth; thus, the book represents essentially a road-map of classical learning, classical mythology, and the shape of the cosmos. It is a stunning work of great depth and erudition, remarkable for being produced in the heavily-Christianised world of early fifth-century Africa, and represents one of the last great gasps of the traditions of classical religion and education that were heavily persecuted and well on the wane throughout the Empire. The book would make an excellent Mage grimoire (with Martianus Capella a mage, presumably of one of the two pre-Mysterium sects), or its contents could serve as a good inspiration for one, if you'd rather not make a real person (even a relatively obscure one like Martianus) into a supernal figure.
  • Both Punic culture and the Punic language were alive and well on the eve of the Vandal conquest. The Carthaginians, called "Poeni" or "Punic" by the Romans, were descendants of the Canaanites of the far eastern coast of the Mediterranean, and carried their religious practices over the sea to their new homeland... including, some say, the practice of child sacrifice. Throughout the old Carthaginian domains in the Western Mediterranean, monuments exist called tophets; large chambers filled with the burnt bones of children and animals. There is debate over the exact purpose these structures served - were they locations for child sacrifice, or tombs meant to house the bodies of children who'd died prematurely, as was so often the case in antiquity? - but regardless of their purpose, there they sit, filled with the ashes of children who died prematurely, perhaps even violently. Mass child graves are obviously great places for ghosts and ghostly activity, and if anywhere is likely to contain a portal to the Underworld, it would be a tophet, so you can easily link them into a Geist game about the restless dead (or a Mage game, or anyone else who might have truck with the Underworld or the tormented souls of dead children). But this is the Chronicles of Darkness; what other purposes might such structures serve? Pieces of God-Machine Infrastructure? Sacrificial chambers to a powerful spirit? Leftover parts of an archmage or powerful abmortal's quest for immortality?
  • Tying into an already established Dark Era: the Vandals and the late Roman aristocracy shared a zealous love for hunting, and mosaics and poetry from the Vandal Kingdom depict both Roman and Vandal noblemen alike engaged in the pursuit. The Vandals came from the same Germanic milieu presented in Forsaken by Rome, and although they are far removed from their "Germanic" roots - Latin is their primary language now, and Arian Christianity (very much a product of Rome) their religion - descendants of the same werewolves that once dwelt among the tribes beyond the Rhine and Danube might still practise their sacred hunts alongside the Vandal aristocracy. If so, they're far from the places they once called home, and the native spirits of the Aures Mountains and werewolves of the Berber tribes beyond the Vandal Kingdom's borders - not to mention whatever vampires (probably Daeva and Mekhet, given where the Carthaginians originally came from) and other supernatural flotsam and jetsam may live among the Romans and Punics of Africa - possibly haven't taken kindly to their presence in this land (it ought to be said here that the actual Romans of Africa didn't object much to Vandal rule, and we have no record of a Roman uprising against them, but the Berbers certainly rose up against the Vandals, multiple times). The hunts of the mortal Vandals are to display prowess and kill game for the table, but werewolves among the Vandals may see their hunts as pacifying missions to drive off local Uratha and subjugate the spirits of Africa to their own pacts and rule.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Dammit Who? posted:

This is the page of Ferrinus' Rulestech Warehouse that deals with basic WOD resolution systems, including Morality and Crises of Conscience.

Thanks!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Sin of Onan posted:

I'm writing on the Vandal Kingdom of fifth- and sixth-century Africa: what it meant to be a Vandal in the kingdom, what it meant to be a Roman, and if the Vandals ever had any kind of coherent ethnic policy or made any sustained attempts to create a unified people out of the two cultures before Justinian's invasion swept them away. Here is a hopefully working link to the proposal in PDF form, if you are interested in reading it. I am aware there are a couple of typoes, so try not to judge them too harshly :blush:

In an attempt to actually make this relevant to the rest of the thread, I have some possible WoD hooks for the Vandals and Late Antique Africa:
  • Slightly before the Vandal takeover of North Africa, a Romano-African writer named Martianus Capella publishes a book called The Wedding of Philology and Mercury. Generally agreed by modern scholars to be one of the finest examples of Latin writing of the age, the Wedding is about the marriage of Philology, an allegorical maiden of a sort very common in late Antique writing (see also Boethius and the Consolation of Philosophy, in which Philosophy appears as a literal woman to console Boethius in prison) whose name literally means "the love of learning," to Mercury in his role as the god of intellectual pursuits. The work itself is deeply allegorical. Philology is attended by seven servants representing each of the seven liberal arts of classical learning, and two more mute servants representing the (perceived as) less refined arts of architecture and medicine, and the wedding procession passes through the spheres of the planets and celestial bodies, flanked about by a dazzling array of gods and creatures from classical myth; thus, the book represents essentially a road-map of classical learning, classical mythology, and the shape of the cosmos. It is a stunning work of great depth and erudition, remarkable for being produced in the heavily-Christianised world of early fifth-century Africa, and represents one of the last great gasps of the traditions of classical religion and education that were heavily persecuted and well on the wane throughout the Empire. The book would make an excellent Mage grimoire (with Martianus Capella a mage, presumably of one of the two pre-Mysterium sects), or its contents could serve as a good inspiration for one, if you'd rather not make a real person (even a relatively obscure one like Martianus) into a supernal figure.

The rest is also fascinating, and I do not have the time/stamina to read history once I've put the child to bed, but I'm definitely going to use this in my mage game. One of the players started a Free Councilor without really being sure if that's where he wanted to be. It doesn't help that the Libertines in the city are fragmented into two groups either. Either way, collecting this grimoire (or whatever it ends up being) would be a great way for him to prove his worth and pay back the Mysterium members who are mentoring him through this process. I was going to use Newton's Principia, but this is much more fun and the theme of the book is going to be useful. I may even have to try to get a copy of it. It looks interesting enough to read by itself.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Blockhouse posted:

So my Mage players are working on concepts. One is going all in on Matter manipulation to build robots and I don't think I want to stop him.

You should stop him.

But only to remind him that he might want Forces too. Unless that changed anyway, I'm not super up on my Mage.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 29, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prism posted:

You should stop him.

But only to remind him that he might want Forces too. (Unless that changed.)
If using Death, Matter, Space, and Forces to make a zombie T-rex that breathes fire that I can pilot from inside its chest cavity is wrong, I don't ever wanna be right.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Prism posted:

You should stop him.

But only to remind him that he might want Forces too. Unless that changed anyway, I'm not super up on my Mage.

And mind if he wants to add an Artificial Intelligence.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
One of my players wanted to reanimate a T-Rex skeleton as a sanctum guardian. Dunno why we never got to it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jhet posted:

And mind if he wants to add an Artificial Intelligence.

Creating a new mind from scratch sounds like a lot of work.

Just shove a ghost or a spirit in that bad boy and call it a day.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mendrian posted:

Is it harder to jam a spirit/ghost in there, or to yank out someone's mind and jam it in there?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mendrian posted:

To be fair, I have a player doing a similar thing. Only he's building something for his goetic familiar (influence in advanced technology) to use, so he's focusing on the forces. So far she hangs out in his improved Nintendo Power Glove. It's going to be easier because she's already a familiar and mostly wants to be around. It would require finding someone with enough mind (4 dots I'd think) to connect her to the thing in perpetuity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think you're beating yourself up a bit too much about railroading.

Like, actual railroading is the worst and being responsive to your players is one of the most important things, but it's okay to have plot hooks and channel them vaguely towards what you have actually prepped.

Especially in the first session, I think that there should be a shared understanding that you're gonna play a game about Thing, and the players are expected to pursue Thing and not run off to do something else. They still get to decide how they tackle Thing, though.

To give a probably crap analogy : if you're playing D&D or whatever and it's the first session and you tell the players there's a Spooky Goblin Cave just outside of town, there's a shared understanding that they're gonna check it out and not sit around founding a cheese shop because that's why we decided to play the game jesus christ.

Later sessions should be up to them, but you're allowed to set the stage ; don't be so down on yourself, it sounds like a boss-rear end game.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This was also my first thought.

Clearly there's at least one mage there who dresses all in blue with a garish yellow hat- okay now I'm just wondering if Vivi secretly works for IKEA.

There's a joke to be made about a mage who only writes in small, impossible to discern pictographs with little arrows that don't line up how you think. He's very tall, blonde, and friendly, and you can't understand a drat thing he says, but he's an excellent cook.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think you're beating yourself up a bit too much about railroading.

Like, actual railroading is the worst and being responsive to your players is one of the most important things, but it's okay to have plot hooks and channel them vaguely towards what you have actually prepped.

Especially in the first session, I think that there should be a shared understanding that you're gonna play a game about Thing, and the players are expected to pursue Thing and not run off to do something else. They still get to decide how they tackle Thing, though.

To give a probably crap analogy : if you're playing D&D or whatever and it's the first session and you tell the players there's a Spooky Goblin Cave just outside of town, there's a shared understanding that they're gonna check it out and not sit around founding a cheese shop because that's why we decided to play the game jesus christ.

Later sessions should be up to them, but you're allowed to set the stage ; don't be so down on yourself, it sounds like a boss-rear end game.

Thanks, and yeah, you have a good point. I think I've been in too many games though where it was "you sit around and I tell you about cool stuff the NPCs do." Which was the only two sessions of VtR I ever got to play :smith:

They have ideas now. My sixth (!) player is interested in making a pro-wrestler who is obsessed with vampires. His secret longterm aspiration is to become one. I didn't want to shut him down of course, but I tried to inform him how vampires in this game work. A vampire who pretends to be a hunter and tags along on night raids? Man, they better be gullible as gently caress about the lack of your tan.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the next few scenes, like if they explore the construction site. They find a bunch of God Machine gears that are too big to exist and what not, but what from there? Pulling the supports and sealing it shut? And what would keep the facetaker/skinchanger scary as it hunts down hunters' families?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

crime fighting hog posted:

Thanks, and yeah, you have a good point. I think I've been in too many games though where it was "you sit around and I tell you about cool stuff the NPCs do." Which was the only two sessions of VtR I ever got to play :smith:

They have ideas now. My sixth (!) player is interested in making a pro-wrestler who is obsessed with vampires. His secret longterm aspiration is to become one. I didn't want to shut him down of course, but I tried to inform him how vampires in this game work. A vampire who pretends to be a hunter and tags along on night raids? Man, they better be gullible as gently caress about the lack of your tan.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the next few scenes, like if they explore the construction site. They find a bunch of God Machine gears that are too big to exist and what not, but what from there? Pulling the supports and sealing it shut? And what would keep the facetaker/skinchanger scary as it hunts down hunters' families?

Have a family members behavior change subtly, offer no explanation. A random person knows far too much about them. Make them see their enemy everywhere and nowhere. The fundamental horror of a shapechanger is slow burn paranoia.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 30, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Have a family members behavior change subtly, offer no explanation. A random person knows far too much about them. Make them see their enemy everywhere and nowhere. The fundamental horror of a shapechanger is slow burn paranoia.

Have someone return home to their significant other introducing them to a long-out-of-touch family member who has just suddenly returned, and is very interested in what the PC gets up to in their spare time with their friends.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

Cheat like a motherfucker. Make lots and lots and lots of people suspicious and decide which one of them is actually a ringer when it's dramatically appropriate.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
The horror of a shapeshifter is the fact you can never truly know someone, the theft of identity in the most basic way, distilled otherness. Also Randall's suggestion is amazing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Basically, do everything in your power to get your players to ultimately kidnap someone entirely innocent.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
This reminds me, you should look at Eugene Thackers Horror of Philosophy series. It's a series of pretty accessible books on the headier aspects of horror and has been a real help to me in designing horror aspects in my RPs.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I've done it before in a D&D game of bringing one of the players out before the game begins and tell them they're actually a doppleganger and will try to kill the other players when the trap is sprung. It's a great "oh poo poo" moment and I always have the actual character held prisoner to be found later. That wouldn't work so hot this time, I think.

Great suggestions, all. I appreciate the help and put em in my ideas folder.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

That was completely accidental at first and I considered changing before I settled on the organization very specifically choosing it because of that. Keeps the sympathy diluted.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I am reading Tooth & Nail and not really liking it but I appreciate being given all the tools to have my future Hunter games grind up evil otherkin into boner pills, whether or not they're Cheiron Group-affiliated or not. It's just the only good thing that can come from a Beast

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Just a thing that caught my eye.

Dark Eras Companion (advance PDF), p. 46 posted:

Blood Manipulation: The blood bather has an affinity for blood, and can kill with a touch by inducing a stroke or heart attack. After successfully touching an opponent, the player rolls Manipulation + Occult (difficulty of the opponent’s Stamina.) The resistance roll is reflexive. Every success inflicts a level of lethal damage. If the blood bather grapples the target, this attack is made each turn. This power only affects humans.

I thought variable roll difficulty wasn't A Thing anymore (some Mummy shenanigans aside), same as the concept of roll difficulty as such?
I immediately thought of the Immortals supplement which originally had the rules for such rituals, and, surely enough:

WoD Immortals, p. 35 posted:

Blood Manipulation: The blood bather has an affinity for blood, and can kill with a touch by inducing a stroke or heart attack. The character must touch her opponent (see Touching an Opponent, p. 157 of the World of Darkness Rulebook), at which point the player rolls Manipulation + Occult – opponent’s Stamina. This roll is reflexive. Every success inflicts a level of lethal damage. If the blood bather grapples the target, this attack can be made each turn (probably killing the victim quickly if he fails to escape the grapple). This power has no effect on vampires. Modifier: +4

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I am reading Tooth & Nail and not really liking it but I appreciate being given all the tools to have my future Hunter games grind up evil otherkin into boner pills, whether or not they're Cheiron Group-affiliated or not. It's just the only good thing that can come from a Beast

Any good Tactics or equipment?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Foglet posted:

Just a thing that caught my eye.

I thought variable roll difficulty wasn't A Thing anymore (some Mummy shenanigans aside), same as the concept of roll difficulty as such?
I immediately thought of the Immortals supplement which originally had the rules for such rituals, and, surely enough:

Probably either means the opponent's stamina is subtracted from the dice you roll, or you need to get that many successes on the roll - probably the latter, given the power's severity. Still, probably worth pointing it out to them for clarification.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Axelgear posted:

Any good Tactics or equipment?

The new Endowments are heavily weighted toward abilities that affect *~the Beastial Dream~* and nothing else. There are like three new pieces of equipment, one is a dream-related Ascendant One potion and the other two are Aegis relics.

There's one tactic that can probably be generalized ("Damsel In Distress", basically a baited trap) and a few that only make sense against Beasts (including one to, what else, enter *~the Beastial Dream~*) However, the introduction of a "Bring The Monster To Group Therapy" tactic seems like it could pay dividends for a comedy-oriented VASCU game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I've heard the Free Council book is bad? Should I not recommend it to my player playing a Free Council character?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Blockhouse posted:

So I've heard the Free Council book is bad? Should I not recommend it to my player playing a Free Council character?

The 1E book is very half-baked and written before a really solid pitch was developed for the Free Council beyond being Wizard Anarchs. It's got a few decent ideas in it but most everything worthwhile for the Council is scattered in other books or just in the 2e core.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Re: music chat, F# A# ∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor is a great hour of music for WoD, and also in general. For game background music, the monologue at the beginning and the dialogue a little over halfway through might be distracting, but that's a really small portion of its overall run time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QcK4X_qy4

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Daeren posted:

The 1E book is very half-baked and written before a really solid pitch was developed for the Free Council beyond being Wizard Anarchs. It's got a few decent ideas in it but most everything worthwhile for the Council is scattered in other books or just in the 2e core.

fair enough

I already have a character who was mentored via a magical Discord channel though so looking at that book probably couldn't hurt

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Fire Never Consuming: Music From Alice Isn't Dead by Disparition is also really great music for WoD.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Foglet posted:

Dangit. That's two Dark Eras books in a row:

Dark Eras, p. 452 posted:

While in Duat, you may attempt to rise prematurely, pitting a roll of your Willpower pool against a difficulty of your Memory rating.

(Both of these are from Mummy era writeups, but that's no excuse, because as you say, even when Mummy magic shifts target numbers, the Mummy book still doesn't call that concept a "difficulty." CofD doesn't have a concept called "difficulty.")

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Once I started to read more oWoD books, including some Mummy the Resurrection stuff, their influence on Curse became really obvious. The little details and the overall design sensibility all feel very pre-2004.

It really stood out to me with Guildhalls of the Deathless and its use of signature characters. I'm down with recurring example characters when there's a fixed and finite number of Arisen, but all the guildmasters had this quality of "special guest star that your PCs might briefly meet" rather than "character that you have full ownership of as an ST." I liked almost all of the signature characters presented in Promethean, but Mummy seemed dead set on convincing me that Merew-Tjaw is a badass amoral mastermind and not to be hosed with. Or maybe I just have a really low tolerance for the WoD archetype of the super-rich immortal who's always in control and knows exactly what's going on.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nMummy has always been aggressively oWoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Emy posted:

Re: music chat, F# A# ∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor is a great hour of music for WoD, and also in general. For game background music, the monologue at the beginning and the dialogue a little over halfway through might be distracting, but that's a really small portion of its overall run time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QcK4X_qy4

Yup, I quoted "The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel," at the start of our Hunter session.

It just fits.