Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually liked the post-dlc stuff since technically it was pretty much an actual way to escape the cycle like some sort of escape pod

could have used a cutscene probably, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay ringed knight greatswords is definitely the new meme weapon. The number of people I've seen using it is ridiculous.

being a dick to people by using them as a Spear of the Church is extremely fun

Johnny Joestar posted:

I feel like the series has done worse and worse at subdued boss fights ever since des and ds1 so mostly I'm amazed they didn't go super goddamn crazy with it like they could have since it's literally the last bit of dark souls content

at the least it seemed less eyerolly the than the final boss of the main game

I dunno this felt pretty pointlessly flashy and ridiculous and self-indulgent, and it didn't hit its mark on me at all.
Like, the Nameless King was intimidating to me. Midir was pretty intimidating. This guy was literally flying at me and having lightning strike everywhere and I just felt like "oh well that's kinda annoying I guess, better get to mashing O". It was just way too much going on at once and cluttering the screen to leave an impression. It's not a terrible fight but I wasn't really having fun at this point. I had fun for the rest of the DLC, including the parts everyone else complained about, but this boss battle just killed my enthusiasm.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Nuebot posted:

The age of fire is dead, done and dusted. What more do you want? Would adding biographies to every single name change anything

I want another series based in the age of dark but, with a working blue cops covenant and better invasion stuff.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is the best Dex weapon still the Carthus Curved Sword is I'm trying to get through the DLC?

I've got a +10 Sharp CCS, a +10 Sharp Uchigatana and a +10 Refined Lothric Knight Sword in my inventory, as well as some other stuff that's pretty high up there, but I dunno what the ideal weapon is.

I have like 20-25STR and 40Dex and the rest of my points are in VIT or health or endurance and I have a bit of Int too because Spook is a cool spell and Magic Shield is secretly a super good spell you can use at Int 10 that lets you block a lot of things really easily.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Augus posted:

being a dick to people by using them as a Spear of the Church is extremely fun

I dunno this felt pretty pointlessly flashy and ridiculous and self-indulgent, and it didn't hit its mark on me at all.
Like, the Nameless King was intimidating to me. Midir was pretty intimidating. This guy was literally flying at me and having lightning strike everywhere and I just felt like "oh well that's kinda annoying I guess, better get to mashing O". It was just way too much going on at once and cluttering the screen to leave an impression. It's not a terrible fight but I wasn't really having fun at this point. I had fun for the rest of the DLC, including the parts everyone else complained about, but this boss battle just killed my enthusiasm.

I can definitely get all that for sure. I think if nothing else this dlc has been another pretty good sign that the series is worn down, good or no

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Azuth0667 posted:

I want another series based in the age of dark but, with a working blue cops covenant and better invasion stuff.

Better invasion poo poo is all I want.

Also ten more slabs in my current file :gonk:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Is the best Dex weapon still the Carthus Curved Sword is I'm trying to get through the DLC?

I've got a +10 Sharp CCS, a +10 Sharp Uchigatana and a +10 Refined Lothric Knight Sword in my inventory, as well as some other stuff that's pretty high up there, but I dunno what the ideal weapon is.

I have like 20-25STR and 40Dex and the rest of my points are in VIT or health or endurance and I have a bit of Int too because Spook is a cool spell and Magic Shield is secretly a super good spell you can use at Int 10 that lets you block a lot of things really easily.

going pure dex is a waste of time since youll get more damage out of just going quality. very few weapons actually get enough scaling from sharp infusion to be worth going 60 dex. 40/40 refined will out perform most sharp infusions basically. from memory the two dex weapons from the first dlc and the chaos blade are the only ones worth going 60 dex for. othervise consider refined infusions and 40 str and 40 dex.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being a spear is completely ruined by summons. The loving monks are so useless and you can't trade hits because of no healing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Better invasion poo poo is all I want.

Also ten more slabs in my current file :gonk:

I really don't get why they let you revive a boss but he doesn't give you a slab every time. It would encourage people to interact with it more which is good due to its PvP mechanic. As it stands I'm not sure who is gonna be reviving it other than gank squads looking to torment people.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Being a spear is completely ruined by summons. The loving monks are so useless and you can't trade hits because of no healing.

Not a big deal when you can just spin to win with your pair of greatswords :smug:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well maybe not a slab each time. Also you get the cov item if you kill the phantoms as host I heard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm actually kind of excited for what they do next, because there's only so many games that can be spun out of the same idea before it gets a bit stale. a new setting with vaguely similar gameplay would rule.

Maybe it's been posted already, but I liked this bit from an interview of Miyazaki on the release of The Ringed City

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/dark-souls-iii-director-not-concerned-whether-not-next-game-resembles-dark-souls posted:

With the second expansion released, that means that the series is complete.

Miyazaki: “As I’ve said from the beginning, there are no further developments planned at the moment, at least.”

Where you able to do everything you wanted to do?

Miyazaki: “I can’t really say that I was able to do everything. As is the case with all of the games I’ve directed, each entry in the Dark Souls series has its own problems, and I carry those blunders. However, I think that even on this premise, Dark Souls was a happy series.

What kind of game would you like to develop in the future?

Miyazaki: “Since I’ve already started work on several, it would be a spoiler if I said something. One thing I can say is that our stance on game production has not changed. In making a new game, we’re not being conscious of making something that resembles Dark Souls, or on the other hand of making something that doesn’t resemble Dark Souls. Not being concerned about whether it is similar to Dark Souls, I plan on making a game that I want to make now, and that is interesting and worthwhile.”

:kimchi:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok so are there any hints that direct you to turning into a statue thing specifically in the swamp? Between messages on the ground I understood using the Fragrant Branch but how was I supposed to know it was in the swamp?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

weekly font posted:

Ok so are there any hints that direct you to turning into a statue thing specifically in the swamp? Between messages on the ground I understood using the Fragrant Branch but how was I supposed to know it was in the swamp?

No there aren't. The only hint is the white tree in the swamp but that's not much to go on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

No there aren't. The only hint is the white tree in the swamp but that's not much to go on.

And even then it's not guaranteed that you'll turn into a humanity. I spent 15 god drat branches in the swamp before it turned me into one of those. I had to go back to Firelink to go buy more branches because I ran out. This "puzzle" is hilariously bad and it's a wonder anyone figured it out at all. :whitewater:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Am I seriously the only person who uses chameleon in every area to see what you turn into?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Am I seriously the only person who uses chameleon in every area to see what you turn into?

Turning into the sprite for that was literally the first time I have ever used it (well the equivalent item) across all 3 games

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I only use fragrant branches when rolling deep with friends and we get invaded. It's super fun to have a guy run into a room and suddenly three pots are gang stomping him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Turning into the sprite for that was literally the first time I have ever used it (well the equivalent item) across all 3 games

:negative: Where is your sense of whimsy at turning into a flame spouting bull head and watching invaders get confused?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

:negative: Where is your sense of whimsy at turning into a flame spouting bull head and watching invaders get confused?

No one ever invades me. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think that now that we have a full frame of reference for the series that dark souls 1 still has my favorite final bosses in the form of gwyn and manus after all this time, honestly. nashandra was cool but i kinda wish i had been able to just give her the throne because i literally could not have given less of a poo poo about it and the dlc final bosses were varying levels of alright. ds3's main final boss was pretty cool and i like it better than nashandra at least, even if i personally found its gimmick to be kinda overused in games. the ringed city final boss could have been executed better, but, when paired with the post-boss stuff i actually kinda like the implications in a weird way? i dunno. i'm conflicted on it. dark souls 1 still wins out without a doubt.

honorable mention to orphan of kos since that was exactly the kind of wild bullshit i would have expected from that fever dream of a game. not included with the others due to being a different setting, though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What is some cool armor that would pair well visually with the black witch trousers?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what's the fastest way to get Karla? Before going on my DLC expedition I want Dark Weapon at least because I'm a sucker for weapon buffs and I really hate having to through the profaned capital and back to the dungeon to get her.

Also I'm just now realizing there's no deep weapon enchantment and that makes me sad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So what's the fastest way to get Karla? Before going on my DLC expedition I want Dark Weapon at least because I'm a sucker for weapon buffs and I really hate having to through the profaned capital and back to the dungeon to get her.

Also I'm just now realizing there's no deep weapon enchantment and that makes me sad.

Just take the shortcut from the first bonfire in Irithyll Dungeon down to the entrance to Archdragon. You can sneak by the Jailers if you walk behind the last one in their little circle. After that, there's just one Jailer to kill and you'll be at her cell door.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ok, so unless I missed something We never actually ran into the third londor sister? I'm actually really surprised. I'm also surprised they did absolutely nothing with kaathe who was blatantly still around. I am also upset we didn't get a bearer of the curse/aldia tag team fight, but they always seemed to do DS2 references rather begrudgingly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vermain posted:

Just take the shortcut from the first bonfire in Irithyll Dungeon down to the entrance to Archdragon. You can sneak by the Jailers if you walk behind the last one in their little circle. After that, there's just one Jailer to kill and you'll be at her cell door.
I am awful at stealth and those jailers kick my rear end non-stop. I was kind of hoping there was some pro-strat trick to skip the dungeon all together :negative: guess not, then?

Obligatum VII posted:

Ok, so unless I missed something We never actually ran into the third londor sister? I'm actually really surprised. I'm also surprised they did absolutely nothing with kaathe who was blatantly still around. I am also upset we didn't get a bearer of the curse/aldia tag team fight, but they always seemed to do DS2 references rather begrudgingly.

She's obviously Velka.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if I fought the dragon on the bridge, and that is as far as I have gone, could I have already been able to get to the shortcut elevator that leads to his actual boss room? Or is that shortcut for later on?

EDIT: Oh it was like, right there, and I missed it .....

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

That said I don't get all the hate he gets. I loved the fight, it felt like a Monster Hunter boss in many ways. He's relentless but has clear tells, your positioning is important since you want to hit him in the head, and he really rewards learning his moveset and being patient rather than DPSing him while praying you won't get hit. Good stuff.

Funny you should say that, because my first impression was "god I wish I had chosen aerial style for this"

I really want to like the fight though, I was enjoying it a lot before I found out that you have to hit his head. Maybe I'll get used to it after I've killed him a few more times. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the best dragon boss is grigori from dragon's dogma

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The Aquamarine Dagger can deal a surprisingly huge amount of damage with its weapon art form. It basically has the damage and reach of a straight sword but with the swing speed and stamina consumption of a dagger. The downside is that you walk slow like the weapon art for Friede's great scythe and it consumes fp with each swing but you can transition into a sprint or roll attack with the weapon art form so you can extend the blade into an attack quickly.

I've been using it with the Spear covenant and a lot of people aren't prepared for the 1200 damage it can deal in like a second.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
I decided to try a brand new strength build using a Vordt's hammer and my god, this is easily the most fun I've ever had in a dark souls game. I've heard the Old Demon King's hammer is pretty fun too, so I may look at that later on.

Taking into account equipment load, this thing makes cutting down bad dudes *fun* again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

the best dragon boss is grigori from dragon's dogma

:coffeepal::yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphAh-kfKVg

Really wish one of these games had a dragon that you could talk to. The Stone Dragon from DS1 is as close as we got to that.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

theAcidQueen posted:

I decided to try a brand new strength build using a Vordt's hammer and my god, this is easily the most fun I've ever had in a dark souls game. I've heard the Old Demon King's hammer is pretty fun too, so I may look at that later on.

Taking into account equipment load, this thing makes cutting down bad dudes *fun* again.

Yeah I just blasted through NG with a Vordts strength build and despite experimenting with great maces/clubs and some UGS I kept coming back to Vordts. So many enemies are frost vulnerable it's ridiculous, and it pretty much always applies it in a R1 combo. Good for catching rolls, stamina consumption is pretty generous now, plus perseverance is ridiculous on top of everything else. Good times.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if people are gonna go crazy about the lore implications from Midir's soul transposition, the Old Moonlight.

Not only does it talk about the Beginning (with a capital B) but it appears to be fashioned after the Moonlight Sword from King's Field :haw: I'm calling it, Velka is clearly involved.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Will I get more or less activity if I go from 100 to 120? I have no idea what meta level people actually agreed on for NG+.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I wonder if people are gonna go crazy about the lore implications from Midir's soul transposition, the Old Moonlight.

Not only does it talk about the Beginning (with a capital B) but it appears to be fashioned after the Moonlight Sword from King's Field :haw: I'm calling it, Velka is clearly involved.

Maybe if you beat the game with the dreamchaser's ashes in your inventory on NG+10 you unlock a secret.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Genocyber posted:

:coffeepal::yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphAh-kfKVg

Really wish one of these games had a dragon that you could talk to. The Stone Dragon from DS1 is as close as we got to that.

i'd also probably rate dragon's dogma's music on par or even better than the music from the ds series in places, honestly. i'm surprised it's not brought up more in discussions of good videogame music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1gqx0uRbQ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I'm surprised the souls games have never succumbed to is putting english (or perhaps japanese) vocalizations in the boss themes. They've used latin, to great extent in the boss music in Bloodborne, but that's it. It can be used to pretty great effect, see 1:30 onward in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ6nxAGJZU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd also probably rate dragon's dogma's music on par or even better than the music from the ds series in places, honestly. i'm surprised it's not brought up more in discussions of good videogame music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1gqx0uRbQ

Based on what I can tell, most goons get to the big city in dragon's dogma and then quit because you have to walk a lot. So no one talks about it because no one plays it. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

One thing I'm surprised the souls games have never succumbed to is putting english (or perhaps japanese) vocalizations in the boss themes. They've used latin, to great extent in the boss music in Bloodborne, but that's it. It can be used to pretty great effect, see 1:30 onward in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ6nxAGJZU

it sounds like an anime

I don't think it would fit in a souls game at all (not that specific song, but songs with lyrics in general) and would clash with the rest of the atmosphere. but it would be sweet to have a Sound Horizon album based on Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

it sounds like an anime

Yes, yes it does. But really that's just a Dragon's Dogma thing. It's also why I'm surprised the souls games have never done it as a "now poo poo is REALLY SERIOUS because there are WORDS" kind of thing.