Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

Skred Red: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-34537#paper

Got top 8 in a 70+ person tournament recently playing almost that exact maindeck so I can vouch for it's competitivemness.

I can think of 21 cards that I'd definitely want to change in that maindeck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Bolted myself for the first time ever today and I've played lots of bolts. Felt weird, and good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

If you are going to spend money on fetches for anything in that list that looks like something you are going to play, i would wait a few weeks. You have tons of options below 800 bucks.

You think the enemy color fetches will dip back down again? I need a few Catacombs and wouldn't mind getting one or two of the others for future decks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

You think the enemy color fetches will dip back down again? I need a few Catacombs and wouldn't mind getting one or two of the others for future decks.

I think some people are expecting an EMA-style second printing, which would drop things a bit further if true. Not sure if that's actually going to happen since we're into spoiler season again.

If some big retailers suddenly have specials on a bunch of MM3 cards, that'd be a sign that a second printing is happening.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Tarns started going back up so I just bit the bullet. For verdant/tarn especially I don't think a second wave of product would make a huge impact so just get 'em while they're half the price they were two months ago.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

I can think of 21 cards that I'd definitely want to change in that maindeck...

Yeah snow mountains are over a dollar or more now each.

Over two fifty now drat.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

So basically, Bolas is using Amonkhet as a place to train loyal followers to perfection, to have them murdered, to raise them as his eternal loyal servants which he will undoubtedly have found a way to planeswalk around the multiverse?

That's... an oddly sound plan?

It sounds like Bolas is trying to create as many planeswalkers as possible. Among those who have to potential to be planeswalkers, the spark ignites under times of extreme duress. So Bolas has created an entire society that encourages entering the Trials. Anyone who dies is tossed in the trash outside of the city, which is what the Gatewatch encounters when they first arrive. Anyone who actually does manage to become a planeswalker is presumably followed by Bolas and convinced or coerced to join his team. It probably wouldn't take much convincing. If you spontaneously escaped from a difficult trial and were approached by the being you were brought up to worship as God, you would sure as hell want to be friends with him.

For all I know, Bolas is aware of the Gatewatch's arrival on Amonkhet and is actually pleased with them because all of the things they've done that they thought would piss him off are actually part of his grand scheme or whatever. Like I can imagine the Gatewatch rolling up to fight and Bolas is like "actually you five are my most effective agents."

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 30, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

The GP being this weekend has thrown stuff off track. After this weekend the only big modern event is in june and we won't have modern PPTQ's for a while, so demand will fall. Also demand should fall when the next set releases, especially if it isn't dogshit.

The only question is supply. There is still more hints that there is a lot of supply vs there not, so its a good sign.

Edit, well there appears to be modern in may with scg, but Gp's generally generate more demand.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 30, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

It sounds like Bolas is trying to create as many planeswalkers as possible. Among those who have to potential to be planeswalkers, the spark ignites under times of extreme duress. So Bolas has created an entire society that encourages entering the Trials. Anyone who dies is tossed in the trash outside of the city, which is what the Gatewatch encounters when they first arrive. Anyone who actually does manage to become a planeswalker is presumably followed by Bolas and convinced or coerced to join his team. It probably wouldn't take much convincing. If you spontaneously escaped from a difficult trial and were approached by the being you were brought up to worship as God, you would sure as hell want to be friends with him.

For all I know, Bolas is aware of the Gatewatch's arrival on Amonkhet and is actually pleased with them because all of the things they've done that they thought would piss him off are actually part of his grand scheme or whatever. Like I can imagine the Gatewatch rolling up to fight and Bolas is like "actually you five are my most effective agents."

oh I get it, Bolas figured out how to use the weird afterlife rules and make these planeswalkers into mindless Returned.

So obviously we're gonna get Elspeth Agent of Bolas this block :unsmigghh:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A big flaming stink posted:

oh I get it, Bolas figured out how to use the weird afterlife rules and make these planeswalkers into mindless Returned.

Well there's a good way to get a new RW Ajani.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lets Pickle posted:

For all the poo poo the storyline gets, this is a cool idea.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Look, I don't care what Bolas is up to as long the jacetice league finally lose for once

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Bolas is gonna make the Anti-Jacetice League, and it will be dumb

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I thought all the hate for the new story was just goons being goons, but no. It's just not good.

You don't change tenses partway through a story, goddammit. :argh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 30, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Siivola posted:

I thought all the hate for the new story was just goons being goons, but no. It's just not good.

You don't change tenses partway through a story, goddammit. :argh:

You do if you're some of the textual roleplayers I've seen in places like WoW :v:

Which actually fits perfectly with how poorly conceived and defined some of the characters are.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so to be entirely fair, Chris L'Etoile also does that when he writes Chandra, but he gets a pass because the non-Chandra bits in his stories are in third person so the switch is less jarring, and also because I like his stories.

Heck I'd pay actual money for a Gatewatch comic written by L'Etoile and Luhrs.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Bolas is gonna make the Anti-Jacetice League, and it will be dumb

The Superfiends

I've been brewing a grixis walkers deck called that :D

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How could anyone take The Lore seriously when the culmination of a six-year story arc revolving around a trio of titanic pan-dimensional eldritch presences, who very literally consume the fabric of reality itself, whose presence warps the laws of time and space, who by all accounts are eternal, immutable, inscrutable and inexorable, were finally taken out by being set on fire?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the gatewatch is going to rip of nicol bolas's head and wouldn't you know it, it's that old lady emrakul from up in the moon, who would totally have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

GoutPatrol posted:

Love it, shame they probably won't do a flip creature>walker since it could fit. Maybe something weird like something that creates a planeswalker token (but formatting the creating card will be a 'mare without it being really simple). Good argument to include Hero's Downfall (please), and could lead to an interesting new walker character. Presumably the idea is that any new walkers already regard Bolas as God since he seems to be Doctor Doom-ing it and keeping people pretty happy (until they gladly take the trials and die for him). Love the native pantheon being subservient to Bolas. Also sounds like Bolas isn't around right now, so I guess he'll be in the second set?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 30, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Pseudo walkers could be done by creatures with charge or -1/-1 counters.

Actually that works really well for the trials and having sparked fresh from the near death experience.

Bolas Disciple #X
4CC, 4/4

This enters the battlefield with 3 -1/-1 counters on it.

Remove a -1/-1 counter from this card: Do a thing. Use this ability only once per turn and only at sorcery speed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Alris posted:

How could anyone take The Lore seriously
The original Cthulhu got ran over with a steamboat. :shrug:

I enjoy the Magic story because it reminds me of the happy days when I spent lazy afternoons scarfing down bad fantasy novels.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I heard from someone who usually isn't wrong that there will be a second and third printing of MM17. No idea where he gets his info, but he has called some pretty surprising shots in the past.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite part about the story is we eventually get to watch how bad the reveal of Ajani is pissed off at Theros' gods because Heliod, the god Gideon worshiped for his entire childhood, is just a lovely rear end in a top hat who killed his best friend is going to be.

Can't wait to see Gideon's reaction to that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

GoutPatrol posted:

The problem with Magic's plots is rarely the concepting, but the execution. Even the half baked Theros plot had seeds of good things. Xenagos ascending and throwing off the natural order of the plane by enticing everyone into giant parties all the time. Thassa get all pissy because Kiora pretended to be her. The brief mention that there's something weird with the plane that mythologizes things, like, a week after they happen. All these are neat story hooks screwed up by very, very poor storytelling.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alris posted:

How could anyone take The Lore seriously when the culmination of a six-year story arc revolving around a trio of titanic pan-dimensional eldritch presences, who very literally consume the fabric of reality itself, whose presence warps the laws of time and space, who by all accounts are eternal, immutable, inscrutable and inexorable, were finally taken out by being set on fire?

Hey it was a lot of fire OK

Vital Signs posted:

I heard from someone who usually isn't wrong that there will be a second and third printing of MM17. No idea where he gets his info, but he has called some pretty surprising shots in the past.

Hey I'm down for that. My LGS has also been selling then below MSRP since day 1 and I don't know if that's in anticipation of another print run or not.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Alris posted:

If the writers had any chops, this would simply come back to bite them in a big way - burning the Eldrazi's physical forms just freed them to the multiverse, or something.

Sadly, it won't :negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Boxman posted:

The problem with Magic's plots is rarely the concepting, but the execution. Even the half baked Theros plot had seeds of good things. Xenagos ascending and throwing off the natural order of the plane by enticing everyone into giant parties all the time. Thassa get all pissy because Kiora pretended to be her. The brief mention that there's something weird with the plane that mythologizes things, like, a week after they happen. All these are neat story hooks screwed up by very, very poor storytelling.
The saddest thing about Theros is that the poor storytelling isn't even particularly mockable, it simply fails to be interesting. I recently read Jenna Helland's Theros novellas and they're just... Abbreviated and soulless. It's just the story beats with scarcely any setup or weight.

Michael Yichao's far less competent a writer than Helland, but at least he tries to get a reaction out of his readers.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 30, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

C-Euro posted:

Hey I'm down for that. My LGS has also been selling then below MSRP since day 1 and I don't know if that's in anticipation of another print run or not.

Rogue Deckbuilder said in his latest video that he can still order cases directly from Wizards, so they haven't even shipped all the first print run yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine the standard with stale board states that resulted from nobody wanting to attack since each side had a graveyard full of instant speed flashback creatures ready to ambush attackers. Imagine the constant graveyard searching as every deck played like living end. :allears:

I'll just holler FEELBADS :qq: and that will justify game states that are violently complex and uncertain that cannot be resolved outside of dozens of mans mashing into each other.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hopefully it's just men this time and not big stupid beasts of burden :swoon:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't think we're going to be introduced to the brotherhood of evil planeswalkers. Bolas probably just wants an undead army of super-soldiers for the planar bridge. The trash outside the city is probably just people who did not survive the 5 trials.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'll just holler FEELBADS :qq: and that will justify game states that are violently complex and uncertain that cannot be resolved outside of dozens of mans mashing into each other.

i want all the mans to mash into each other, and me

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alris posted:

The Martians got taken out by our diseases.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want all the mans to mash into each other, and me

Heck, :same:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine the standard with stale board states that resulted from nobody wanting to attack since each side had a graveyard full of instant speed flashback creatures ready to ambush attackers. Imagine the constant graveyard searching as every deck played like living end. :allears:
Okay fair, but who plays standard anyway? :P

I was thinking it would make limited more interesting and wouldn't get too crazy, but you're right that if they turn out to be constructed playable it could get annoying pretty quickly.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Siivola posted:

Heck I'd pay actual money for a Gatewatch comic written by L'Etoile and Luhrs.

I'd pay kidneys for one by Alan Moore

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Rigel posted:

I don't think we're going to be introduced to the brotherhood of evil planeswalkers. Bolas probably just wants an undead army of super-soldiers for the planar bridge. The trash outside the city is probably just people who did not survive the 5 trials.

Even if we don't get them this set, I think there's enough of a roster that it'll happen eventually. You already have Tezzeret, Garruk's been unaccounted for since M15, Nahiri is probably considered a villain now, and I guess you could probably justify that vedalken dude from Kaladesh being against the Jacetice League.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe we get a Deadpool pw out of the deal.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A big flaming stink posted:

This would be cool and interesting and possibly compelling (since it gives the good guys actual motivation to be fighting Bolas) if they didn't outsource the story writing to MFA rejects, so of course it won't happen.

Honestly there are teenagers on Tumblr fanfic pages who write better than the people WOTC pays for this stuff. Just hold a contest for submissions with some decent prizes and they'd probably get some amazing stories, plus it'd be good for growing the player base through free advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DoctorOozy posted:

I'd pay kidneys for one by Alan Moore

Nah, we already have a terrible snake god in Magic, we need writers with original ideas :v:

• Locked thread