Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yep thats it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone remember a World War 2 airplane shmup where you end up flying to the moon? I thought it was 1940-something but there were about 10 different 194_'s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone remember a World War 2 airplane shmup where you end up flying to the moon? I thought it was 1940-something but there were about 10 different 194_'s

Might be Aero Fighters 3? That one had a lot of weird end levels (to clarify, you got different final levels depending on...something. Pretty sure at least one of 'em was in space).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Might be Aero Fighters 3? That one had a lot of weird end levels (to clarify, you got different final levels depending on...something. Pretty sure at least one of 'em was in space).

Yeah, I was actually going to say the original Aero Fighters because I'm pretty sure that ends with you blowing up the space shuttle then fighting the giant gorilla that comes out of the explosion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aero Fighters 3 has you fight flying saucers on Mars.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Okay, I'm trying to remember a lovely old shareware game I played a long time ago. It was on one of those shovelware compilation discs in the mid-90s. It was a point-and-click adventure style game that took place in more modern times. The main character was Native American or heavily implied to be Native American dude who wore a lot of purple and I think he had a headband and had long hair.

The art wasn't that great though. It was that shareware "slightly proficient in a DOS paint program" look to it. There was a map screen that you could move to different screens that looks like an aerial view of a city at night. The whole game had that really 90s "edgy" vibe to it too. I want to say it was called something like Night Raven or Ravenclaw. Any idea what this might be?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Okay, I'm trying to remember a lovely old shareware game I played a long time ago. It was on one of those shovelware compilation discs in the mid-90s. It was a point-and-click adventure style game that took place in more modern times. The main character was Native American or heavily implied to be Native American dude who wore a lot of purple and I think he had a headband and had long hair.

The art wasn't that great though. It was that shareware "slightly proficient in a DOS paint program" look to it. There was a map screen that you could move to different screens that looks like an aerial view of a city at night. The whole game had that really 90s "edgy" vibe to it too. I want to say it was called something like Night Raven or Ravenclaw. Any idea what this might be?

I'm absolutely certain that is Blackstar: Agent of Justice. I only know this because our very own davidspackage did an LP of it.

http://lparchive.org/BlackStar-Agent-of-Justice/

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, I was actually going to say the original Aero Fighters because I'm pretty sure that ends with you blowing up the space shuttle then fighting the giant gorilla that comes out of the explosion.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ok let's try to narrow this down. Was the pilot either a viking or a dolphin wearing goggles?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How about Steel Empire? It was steam punk though not WW2.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sakurazuka posted:

How about Steel Empire? It was steam punk though not WW2.

I was thinking that but that's definitely more an early aviaton / WW1 vibe.

Anyone who wants a bullet-hell game, but can't be bothered to memorize a mountain of hit boxes will have fun with Steel Empire.

I can't get enough of promoting this game

Oliester
Jun 26, 2013
I'm looking for some sort of robocop type game, dark and you can upgrade to get a drone and poo poo. It's not actually robocop, just something like that. SNES or DOS

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pneub posted:

Ok let's try to narrow this down. Was the pilot either a viking or a dolphin wearing goggles?

Aero Fighters 2 has the dolphin pilot and a viking:

http://www.giantbomb.com/aero-fighters-2/3030-19210/characters/

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

I highly doubt it's what you're looking for, but it's worth pointing out that Rocket Ranger featured sections with you dogfighting airplanes and a final mission that took place on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75x4iNhTB0

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oliester posted:

I'm looking for some sort of robocop type game, dark and you can upgrade to get a drone and poo poo. It's not actually robocop, just something like that. SNES or DOS

What kind of game? Sidescroller? There is a Robocop vs. Terminator but there's no upgrades.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm absolutely certain that is Blackstar: Agent of Justice. I only know this because our very own davidspackage did an LP of it.

http://lparchive.org/BlackStar-Agent-of-Justice/

That's totally it! Thanks!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Strikers 1945

Giant Enemy Crab :v:

Edit: Bonus Aerofighters 2 Screenie:

Oliester posted:

Total shot in the dark here but Shatterhand was a NES game with a dark palette where you were part robot and punched dudes. The main upgrade mechanic was a drone that flew over your shoulder and got different weapons. IIRC the ultimate upgrade gave you a full suit of robotic armor.

moller fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 13, 2017

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

PC, competitive online, top-down. hovertank semi-RTS with very neon extra-future aesthetic. Old, perhaps even a decade. Pretty sure it was a goon cause my memory is that the guy posted the thread for the open beta.

Not direct control, you order moves and then you can't move again until you're off cooldown. Not even by point and click to the destination, iirc -- magnitude+direction and hope you know how heavy your tank is. Everything glided like an air hockey table. Non-class based build system based around "sidegrades", so some tanks would move slower or have longer cooldown on the same gun or more shields or whatever.

Like, you'd have one unit, and everything's on long cooldown so when you point your dude down and left and order the cannon to fire. While its charging you order your move and since you have fast move parts you just dart out as it pops off... because your move is on cooldown and youre probably out in the open now. Also your gun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, this is a super long shot. Ancient DOS game, I think you were on a space station, it was top down, and while it wasn't ASCII, the graphics were extremely simple. You were a circle, other characters were circles, and I only remember dying really easily. I couldn't tell you if it was a roguelike or not, I just remember either getting shot with a laser from an enemy, or I think maybe running out of oxygen.

I was really young when I played it, so I'd love to try it out again. I think the name started with S, but I can't be sure.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, this is a super long shot. Ancient DOS game, I think you were on a space station, it was top down, and while it wasn't ASCII, the graphics were extremely simple. You were a circle, other characters were circles, and I only remember dying really easily. I couldn't tell you if it was a roguelike or not, I just remember either getting shot with a laser from an enemy, or I think maybe running out of oxygen.

I was really young when I played it, so I'd love to try it out again. I think the name started with S, but I can't be sure.

Stellar explorer?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/stellar-explorer-the-drosi-encounter

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo.

Thank you! :glomp:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
This one's a long shot - early PC game, same sort of era as Sopwith. You were in a plane and the screen was split - top half was an overhead view, bottom half was a side on view of your plane. I've got a hazy memory that it involved shooting at biker gangs. I've got it in my head that the name starts with an F, but I can't be sure at all.

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
Here's a challenge for you guys: C64 adventure game which featured voice samples. If I recall correctly, the game was among a bundle of other adventure games in similar style. The only other clue I remember is that it was something to do with Area 51; possibly trying to enter it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

This one's a long shot - early PC game, same sort of era as Sopwith. You were in a plane and the screen was split - top half was an overhead view, bottom half was a side on view of your plane. I've got a hazy memory that it involved shooting at biker gangs. I've got it in my head that the name starts with an F, but I can't be sure at all.

Hey, something I know. That's Flightmare.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hannibal Rex posted:

Hey, something I know. That's Flightmare.

Yeah, that's the one, thanks! Man, that looks annoying as gently caress to play. I DO miss pages and pages of silent text explaining the plot though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tamphex posted:

Here's a challenge for you guys: C64 adventure game which featured voice samples. If I recall correctly, the game was among a bundle of other adventure games in similar style. The only other clue I remember is that it was something to do with Area 51; possibly trying to enter it.

Not so much adventure as FUCCCCCK DRIIIIIIVE, but The Last V8?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Was the voice actually sampled, or synthesised with something like SAM?

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003

Gromit posted:

Was the voice actually sampled, or synthesised with something like SAM?

Pretty sure it was synthesized - on the title screen and occasionally when loading a new screen (the game looked very much like the ones you'd find on the Apple II E at the time - graphic of the scene above and description text at the bottom with text input)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's not much to go on, but I'm trying to find a side-scrolling fantasy game for the Amiga where the hero character throws/shoots swords, (or other weapons he picks up; dagger, long sword, broad sword). Probably from '91 or older. Could have been for the C64, but I think it was for Amiga.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Hannibal Rex posted:

There's not much to go on, but I'm trying to find a side-scrolling fantasy game for the Amiga where the hero character throws/shoots swords, (or other weapons he picks up; dagger, long sword, broad sword). Probably from '91 or older. Could have been for the C64, but I think it was for Amiga.

Ghosts n Goblins or Ghouls n Ghosts, surely

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Or Bitmap Brothers' Gods

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ChrisXP posted:

Ghosts n Goblins or Ghouls n Ghosts, surely

I don't think so. I think it had more of a sword & sorcery / brawny barbarian aesthetic. (It's not Barbarian I or II.) But it very likely could be a lesser known rip-off of Ghouls n Ghosts. This is all very vague, but I think the first level was some kind of castle yard; you equipped weapon was prominently displayed in the bottom center of the screen. I would guess it was Western, not Japanese.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Stormlord or Deliverance?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Golden Axe?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

I don't think so. I think it had more of a sword & sorcery / brawny barbarian aesthetic. (It's not Barbarian I or II.) But it very likely could be a lesser known rip-off of Ghouls n Ghosts. This is all very vague, but I think the first level was some kind of castle yard; you equipped weapon was prominently displayed in the bottom center of the screen. I would guess it was Western, not Japanese.

That totally sounds like Gods.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I had a look at all the games mentioned, but it's not any of them. I don't think the player character was bare-chested, so my brawny barbarian comment probably was misleading. It's also possible it was on another system, possibly a mega drive, but I still think Amiga is most likely. However, none of the youtube videos I looked at seemed familiar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hannibal Rex posted:

I had a look at all the games mentioned, but it's not any of them. I don't think the player character was bare-chested, so my brawny barbarian comment probably was misleading. It's also possible it was on another system, possibly a mega drive, but I still think Amiga is most likely. However, none of the youtube videos I looked at seemed familiar.

Leander?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yErm-YRYzjM

First upgrade you get makes your sword shoot out daggers. Bonus it was on both Amiga and Megadrive

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Could it have been something like Rastan, Rastan Saga, or Cadash?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Not Leander. I only saw the game once or twice at a friend's house; the only really clear impression that has stayed with me was the design of the 'broadsword' weapon (or upgrade) you found. (I'm not sure if it was called broadsword in game). It, like the earlier weapons, was displayed horizontally. It think you saw your weapon displayed prominently in the bottom center of the screen throughout the game, but it's also possible it was only displayed on pickup. At the hilt, it was as narrow as the earlier sword you had, but then it flared out in a inverted quarter-circle on each side, then the edges ran parallel again.

For illustration, sort of like the fourth sword in this picture:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Myth: History in the Making?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-5MzGuRGQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doesn't really fit (no throwing?) but you did mention Barbarian, so - this Deathbringer thing?

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=312