Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I'm tempted to respec. What's a good loadout for an Infiltrator leaning heavy on sniping? Or is there another profile/loadout that's just way better and more fun or what?

I've played infil the whole way through and honestly all you need is tac cloak, and incinerate/overload for combos.

Get the fattest single shot damage rifle you can, load it with the armour piercing mod, now with the infiltrator profile when you scope in all enemies are highlighted in red, and with that armour piercing mod you can now headshot everyone through walls & cover. With cloak on its usually a 1 hit kill on most enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I always thought that the genophage was one of the more interesting aspects of the mass effect universe. Exploring the unintended consequences of uplifting a warlike race in order to fight an existential threat, only to create another existential threat added a lot of compelling, plausible conflict between the races. It was one of many bits of backstory in the original game that made the universe feel lived-in and believable.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 30, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lucid Dream posted:

I always thought that the genophage was one of the more interesting aspects of the mass effect universe. I thought exploring the unintended consequences of uplifting a warlike race in order to fight an existential threat, only to create another existential threat added a lot of compelling, plausible conflict between the races. It was one of many bits of backstory in the original game that made the universe feel lived-in and believable.

I'm glad we did away with all that confusing high-falutin' sci-fi stuff so that we could focus on what this series really does best: planet scanning and chosen one narratives.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I'm tempted to respec. What's a good loadout for an Infiltrator leaning heavy on sniping? Or is there another profile/loadout that's just way better and more fun or what?

I played Infiltrator thru ME2 and ME3, and I ended up switching in ME:A. Vanguard with Charge / melee damage / whatever other two skills is a lot of fun, but it can fall a bit behind against large and durable targets. The Engineer/Sentinel spec posted a while back is excellent. I'd not played an Engineer/Sentinel in ME single player before because they seemed boring; this build is anything but.

quote:

I'm about half way through and after not liking adept much at all early, I've broken the game at 36 just mowing through stuff on insanity by playing full engi.

Engineer is basically a better adept, and closer to the warp/throw adept of mass effect 3. It deals with everything using 3 skills, does massive tech/fire explosion damage, is fairly tanky, and with a few items can be played as a pure caster.

The only skills you need are overload, energy drain, and incinerate. Take all cooldown talents, take the priming talents for energy drain and incinerate, take anti shield for overload and energy drain and anti armor for incinerate. Now all of your skills can prime and detonate creating combos, you also easily strip shields and melt armor.

Fill out your passive trees making sure to get the 35% elemental damage buff, the omni tool cooldown talent, and the health regen at the end of team support. You now refill health every time you use a power.

Finally, I got the full angara guerilla tech set, the armor mod that gives 50% extra cdr in exchange for -30% weapon damage (from the Elaadan vault), and kitted out an ulshior V with 20% power damage with full clip, 2x 5% tech damage and 2x 5% tech skill recharge. Last I checked my 15 second skills recharge in under 6 seconds.

This is the most broken build I've come up with and even insanity is super easy now.

Couple notes/thoughts of my own -

1) The Isharay sniper rifle works nearly as well as the Ulshior pistol. It's much heavier and you give up a weapon aug slot (e.g. 5% less tech CDR/damage), but it's a viable alternative. Bear in mind you'll use your weapon less and less as you get more CDR thru higher Sentinel levels.

2) I recommend playing around with augs a bit to see what works for you. For arms I'd say extra AoE elemental damage on jump melee is worth more than 2% tech CDR/damage, but your mileage may vary.

3) A few points in Combat or Biotics can help with weapon weight and survivability (Barrier can be good).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad we did away with all that confusing high-falutin' sci-fi stuff so that we could focus on what this series really does best: planet scanning and chosen one narratives.

Hello Pathfinder!

It's the Pathfinder!

Pathfinder!

Hi, Pathfinder!

Help us, Pathfinder!

Even when you'd expect them to be assholes, or just plain alien, and call you "Ryder" or "human", it's Pathfinder. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY HUMAN PATHFINDER! :worship:

What do you mean some of the oPathfinders from other races have been found? Worship the Human one for he is THE Pathfinder!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
One man enter the bar. He have two SMG's, the SMG fire plasma bullets.

"The combat is the filler, the quest branching because of taking different choices it the content".

The bar is in silence. You can hear a dude chew tabacco in the back.

""(Green) Syntesis is the obvious canon choice. Because we start MEA has a mix of IA and human".

We heard in the kitcher somebody drop a lot of crystal into the floor.

"Hear me, I am tired of politics, politics don't need to be in everything. I hear you. But conflict is good, its good for narrative purposes and is good for games. Give me purpose, give me conflict. Is no unnecesary to make stories more than lalala star trek reimagined".

This last line start a bar fight.

The shadow figure with the two SMGs exists the bar, while the fight continue.

His job is complete.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DancingShade posted:

Doom Marine was a literal unrepentant genocider and should be locked up for 100 years per demon killed.

That's actually almost literally the premise of the most recent Doom game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Didio posted:

That's actually almost literally the premise of the most recent Doom game.

The humans in Doom were assholes and we killed demons. What if we were playing the bad guy and hell demons are the moral ones in that universe?

Makes you think.

Regarding sniper rifle talk I can't help you sorry. I did almost my entire playthrough using only pistols (well, lightning throwing alien SMGs).
If the enemy was within engagement range then they were also within range to biotic lift and launch into orbit which was how I dealt with most things.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DancingShade posted:

Regarding sniper rifle talk I can't help you sorry. I did almost my entire playthrough using only pistols (well, lightning throwing alien SMGs).
If the enemy was within engagement range then they were also within range to biotic lift and launch into orbit which was how I dealt with most things.

The multiplayer has gifted me with a automatic sniper, that I would not normally use, but because is better than the bronce quality weapons I have, I use a lot. Is not that bad, if you can stay calm and aim. When all bullets hit is a good weapon for short distances and long distances.

On singleplayer I have played most the game with a rifle that shot small grenades (?) and sniper rifle with explosive bullets (?). But I changed recently to a rifle that shot a laser.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

isk posted:

The Engineer/Sentinel spec posted a while back is excellent.

Do you happen to have this hanging around somewhere?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

That's pretty good. I loled at Ryder doing the Han Solo "just had a slight weapon's malfunction. We're fine now, everything's fine. How are you?" thing with Liam snickering in the background.

When did this happen?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When did this happen?

Liam's loyalty quest.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Liam's loyalty quest.

That one is pretty funny. The musical cues for the baddie cracked me up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dan Didio posted:

Genocide is strong and real and it's my friend.

Dan Didio posted:

Marcus Fenix convicted of war crimes and hanged after gutterstomping fifty Locust prisoners of war.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You misunderstand why I have a problem with it. I think it's a bad idea to cause such moral quandaries based upon intrinsic properties of a species.

Also because the Genophages specific implementation is contrived to create an artificial binary of "horrible emotional trauma for an entire species due to mass stillbirths or cure them and inevitably cause a war of extinction between the races"

It's dumb~

I'm not sure which of these posts is the funniest.

Captain Oblivious, you are a wonderful troll and I hope it never changes. That's kind of the whole point of the Genophage quandary: is such a horrific measure acceptable? Is it acceptable for the Krogan to pay such a price in perpetua when they might be able to overcome their own culture? Or should we stick to our morals and ideals, even if there is the looming possibility that we might pay the price in a decade or two? Was the Genophage really the best that the Salarians could do, or was there a punitive aspect to it? How many Krogan should pay for the sins of their fathers? Do the creators have a responsibility to their created?

ME is one of the few sci-fi franchises to point out that anthropomorphising an alien is a mistake. You can't simply cut and paste human or Salarian morals to the Krogan and expect things to work out. Essentially, the Krogan will quite simply out compete every other Citadel species. It isn't nearly anything like 'lol orcs have -2 Int and are Lawful Evil' or whatever it is you thought.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Anyone interested in the geophabia should read Larry Niven "The Mote in God's Eye" serie of books.

Is about humanity finding a high reproduction alien society and how screwed they are (and the universe, had they where free) because of that highly reproduction cycle.

About the Mote's life cycle:

...During the evacuation, MacArthur midshipmen Staley, Whitbread and Potter are cut off and forced to escape in Watchmaker-modified lifeboats. The lifeboats automatically land in an sparsely populated area of Mote Prime. There the midshipmen find a fortified museum. It provides evidence of a very long and violent history, though the Moties had carefully portrayed themselves as completely peaceful. Following this discovery, the midshipmen are tracked down by Whitbread's Mediator Fyunch(click), who reveals that Moties (other than the short-lived, sterile Mediators) must become pregnant periodically or die. This inevitably results in overpopulation ... and civilization-ending wars. The Masters, whom the Mediators obey, have also concealed the existence of one Motie subspecies from the humans: Warriors more deadly than any human, even Sauron supersoldiers.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 30, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Liam's loyalty quest.

Best loyalty quest, followed by Peebee's which I was not expecting prior to playing the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not sure which of these posts is the funniest.

Captain Oblivious, you are a wonderful troll and I hope it never changes. That's kind of the whole point of the Genophage quandary: is such a horrific measure acceptable? Is it acceptable for the Krogan to pay such a price in perpetua when they might be able to overcome their own culture? Or should we stick to our morals and ideals, even if there is the looming possibility that we might pay the price in a decade or two? Was the Genophage really the best that the Salarians could do, or was there a punitive aspect to it? How many Krogan should pay for the sins of their fathers? Do the creators have a responsibility to their created?

ME is one of the few sci-fi franchises to point out that anthropomorphising an alien is a mistake. You can't simply cut and paste human or Salarian morals to the Krogan and expect things to work out. Essentially, the Krogan will quite simply out compete every other Citadel species. It isn't nearly anything like 'lol orcs have -2 Int and are Lawful Evil' or whatever it is you thought.

The genophage is a really great bit of lore in Mass Effect as to why some Krogan tend to be assholes to other species, because while you see people from most races just brushing the Genophage off as something that had to be done centuries ago, for the Krogan it's something they live with every day with every failed pregnancy and stillbirth. Each and every one of them knowing exactly why it happened and who is to blame for them personally not being able to conceive a healthy child.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DancingShade posted:

Best loyalty quest, followed by Peebee's which I was not expecting prior to playing the game.

Playing it as a grumpy Ryder who doesn't think much of Liam's plans was entertaining. Liam was very apologetic about it on the ship afterwards, but I was able to clarify that it was fun, just please involve less "barely avoiding getting vented into space" next time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty hosed off at this. Their quest triggers in general gently caress up regularly, for side quests as well. The game is enjoyable, but it really shouldn't have been released in this state.

Also, it keeps switching my language to US keyboard arbitrarily. I've even tried removing the option from languages completely, and it just adds it back. The cheeky fucks.

This started for me with DA:I (its demo, actually) and afterwards I had most other games I launched add the US keyboard until I restarted. I have no idea what's up with that but I never managed to fix it.

Also, the hosed up animations and voice acting aren't stopping me from playing the game. But quest bugs like you describe and the horrible UI and save system are, but I don't expect EA to fix any of this at least not for a while :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone been unable to unlock the achievements for the strike team things if they use the app?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone been unable to unlock the achievements for the strike team things if they use the app?

I can't even recruit more than 2 strike teams because that part of the interface flat out refused to accept any keyboard, mouse or gamepad commands. :toot:

On the upside the strike team rewards are pretty forgettable so the whole diversion is not important.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Just wondering, for people talking about assault rifles and pistols doing good damage, how do they define that? Like how many shots, bursts, or seconds of continuous fire to kill an unshielded, unarmored enemy does it take for damage to be good? I ask that because I've now tried every pistol and assault rifle in the game and they all do absolutely poo poo damage. I'm just playing on normal and at this level I feel like say a burst fire assault rifle that takes more than two or three bursts to kill a basic enemy is bad, but the best one I've found takes five.

There are some great shotguns and sniper rifles though, I just wish assault rifles and pistols didn't feel like pea shooters. I think balance in general has been handled really poorly, like the idea of an ability that has a ten second cooldown and does less damage than a single shot from an average weapon just seems so poo poo. And that's pretty much every ability, not even combos are all that powerful. I can punch harder than any of my guns, which is cool but they made such a big deal about weapon variety and customization, and they hosed that up too.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The small magazine high damage pistols such as the sidewinder are pretty cool imo.
Assault rifle however seems to be all rubbish, granted I havn't tried them all yet. They either have too much spread/recoil or just do poo poo damage in general.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Just wondering, for people talking about assault rifles and pistols doing good damage, how do they define that? Like how many shots, bursts, or seconds of continuous fire to kill an unshielded, unarmored enemy does it take for damage to be good? I ask that because I've now tried every pistol and assault rifle in the game and they all do absolutely poo poo damage. I'm just playing on normal and at this level I feel like say a burst fire assault rifle that takes more than two or three bursts to kill a basic enemy is bad, but the best one I've found takes five.

There are some great shotguns and sniper rifles though, I just wish assault rifles and pistols didn't feel like pea shooters. I think balance in general has been handled really poorly, like the idea of an ability that has a ten second cooldown and does less damage than a single shot from an average weapon just seems so poo poo. And that's pretty much every ability, not even combos are all that powerful. I can punch harder than any of my guns, which is cool but they made such a big deal about weapon variety and customization, and they hosed that up too.

The Sweeper is pretty great, it takes about 3 bursts or so (with the AR skill tree) and isn't limited by ammo OR a long recharge time like other Heatsink guns. In terms of pistols the Hurricane does pretty obscene damage, roughly on par with the Piranha, those two are the best full-auto weapons in the game no question.

Edit: Crafting is really loving broke for some people, if the guns you're crafting seem underwhelming then don't use any bullet-type modifiers (especially beam weapons, which just sucks), those sometimes gently caress the damage of a weapon for no apparent reason.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Krogort posted:

The small magazine high damage pistols such as the sidewinder are pretty cool imo.
Assault rifle however seems to be all rubbish, granted I havn't tried them all yet. They either have too much spread/recoil or just do poo poo damage in general.

Put a scope and some stability mods on the 2 shot burst assault rifle and double dink fools all day

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The Sweeper is pretty great, it takes about 3 bursts or so (with the AR skill tree) and isn't limited by ammo OR a long recharge time like other Heatsink guns. In terms of pistols the Hurricane does pretty obscene damage, roughly on par with the Piranha, those two are the best full-auto weapons in the game no question.

Edit: Crafting is really loving broke for some people, if the guns you're crafting seem underwhelming then don't use any bullet-type modifiers (especially beam weapons, which just sucks), those sometimes gently caress the damage of a weapon for no apparent reason.

Man, I tried those! The sweeper was the one I mentioned that took 5 bursts to kill a basic enemy, and I gave up on the hurricane when I was standing right in front of a guy and it took loving ages to bring him down, like an entire clip. And that's with all 6 levels of pistols and assault rifles. I just can't be bothered with that poo poo when I can charge and melee the same dude and take him out instantly. Guns need a serious boost imo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

My favorite crafting thing was when I made a Revenant with the "shots bounce off flat surfaces" mod and they didn't mention that it would also turn the bullets into lovely projectiles that drop like a curveball so I had to aim high on anything past 20 feet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I didn't try the grenade launcher mods at all but the only weapon mod I really found worthwhile was the plasma projectile mod when put on something really high damage like the carnifex pistol. It's nice to gather up a group of mobs in a singularity and just nuke them with the plasma carni's aoe damage

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm confused as to whether I should do the standard Charge/Nova Vanguard, or try Annihilation, since that also seems to work like a short-range damage field?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Man, I tried those! The sweeper was the one I mentioned that took 5 bursts to kill a basic enemy, and I gave up on the hurricane when I was standing right in front of a guy and it took loving ages to bring him down, like an entire clip. And that's with all 6 levels of pistols and assault rifles. I just can't be bothered with that poo poo when I can charge and melee the same dude and take him out instantly. Guns need a serious boost imo.

Crafting is so loving broken at this point it wouldn't surprise me if the ones you made were somehow literally less effective then the ones I've made. Like some people are making SRs that deal no damage whatsoever, it's not that far out there.

Hooray for completely untested, wildly unbalanced game systems!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How are you guys editing the settings file for the ultra+ textures? Mine gets overwritten by the game once I start it; do you set it as read-only?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

In SP games? Hell yeah.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is this dumb broken game on sale yet?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The vintage heat sink Isharay with 2x biotics recharge augments I made seems to be working as intended. Not as well as I hoped, but about statistically accurate at least.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm confused as to whether I should do the standard Charge/Nova Vanguard, or try Annihilation, since that also seems to work like a short-range damage field?

It takes AF a second or two to prime, but I understand it can make good combosplosion chains.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Moola posted:

green man gaming had it for 27% off but i don't know if that's still going on

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pass

I wont buy it till 50% off at least

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Synthbuttrange posted:

Best thing to come out of this game:

Requested a week to romance the penis bunny alien man in mass effect. <3. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Poor Pick. Hope you're having fun with Jaal, wherever you are :furcry:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Crafting is so loving broken at this point it wouldn't surprise me if the ones you made were literally less effective then the ones I've made. Like some people are making SRs that deal no damage whatsoever, it's not that far out there.

It does feel like a lot of stuff that's meant to affect something... doesn't. I mean I've got enough biotic cooldown reductions by this point that there should literally be no cooldowns, but they're still taking a good 5 seconds or so. On the plus side, the small number of weapons and abilities that do work are really fun so it's not a total write off, just severely lacking in replayability.

Halloween Jack posted:

Nova sucks, if you're gonna go vanguard, it's charge of course, pull, push and singularity. None of the others are worth a drat. Nova, lance and shockwave do pathetic damage, and annihilation field is completely worthless. Backlash is pointless because you can just dodge poo poo, or charge. Also do trip mine, you can spec it to be a detonator and it does ok damage. Throw down a mine, then a singularity, then charge when the mine goes off. Or just pick dudes up and throw them at each other with pull/push. Seriously don't bother with nova, your jump melee will do more damage in a similar radius if you've got the right augs in your leg armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moola posted:

cdkeys had it going for $43 with a coupon code yesterday, although it probably won't be more than a few months until it's half off or greater.