Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Stein there are loads of BEF in the SE trenches and you're walking right where we are dropping artillery.

Furthermore unless I misread them we are not pushing forward in the dark more than necessary, we want to settle and dig in before the morning.

Also I think your turn format is off, turn 49 should be day 3 turn 1.

Sniper for the barbed wire it's the central ford ones and the stuff on the SE corner of FdE.

Saros fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Hey um guys remember how we used the night to sneak our cav across the river down south. What's stooping them from doing the same with some of their inf?

Edit: wait we have the cav engineer down there don't we?

Double edit: Can it see both crossings from where it is and might we consider replacing it with some inf so we can actually use it as an engineer

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 30, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yes, those are the companies. You collected some bonus survivors during the last turn which is why your line is so long.

I'd prefer a shorter formation that doesn't extend into contact with the trenches in the corner of the woods since we don't know what's there.

E: Saros yes see what you mean with the turns now. Was thinking in terms of the 9th turn out of 12 in the update. I'll correct my orders, brigadiers do the same if you get a chance.

E: Coker, essentially we have made a decision to give up some ground in the south allow us to set up a coherent defence. They already have to deal with losing two key positions last turn and shoring up their defences west of the river is likely to be their priority.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 30, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Updated map with wire missions. 2 strikes each for two rounds will hopefully do it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Hold for 4 turns to send orders to the MGs and get confirmation back.

Form up in marching formation on the road at point 1. Proceed along the road to the intersection of Chemin Creux and the southern road. Dig in the specified formation.

Rewrite the standing orders -

Defend
Do not pursue
Use rifle fire
Fight to the last man

Conditionals -

All trench all the time

Added Space fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 31, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as far as the orders go, I love the quick and effective communication up and down the ranks. wrt recent conversation, I share coker's worries but Jag!'s response was fairly compelling. I hope we can keep someone within sighting range of various key points that, were an enemy to be spotted, would let us try to respond in the second night phase, but I'm not attending to the details

really though I checked in to say that I'm reading a quite good recent biography of Frederick the great and it includes the following quote from clausewitz: "everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is very difficult". I think it's fair to say the quote is apropos

edit since I can't restrain myself to a reasonable number of paragraphs I'll add that I think this game, both base and trin rules, takes the accurate perception of WWI as a murderous boondoggle as a welcome creative inspiration but in so doing, and trin has in many ways admitted this, only partially erases the pervasive biases of the war game genre toward making it all make sense. even the most, through rose colored glasses and with benefit of hindsight, gallant and logical of wars in history have featured massive lacunae of information and 'the world wonders' fuckups that wouldn't even be tolerated in this ruleset, much less the games we're all used to

ever since I first read the weird sci fi series based on belisarius starring Raj Whitehall that Drake and Stirling wrote I've imagined a game entirely in first person view of a general on horseback, where you're in a fight with no opportunity to optimize positioning beforehand and no direct control over anything except your own horse, not even your mistress (or if you're Fred the great, some flautist or military officer). but it would take a masterful effort to make it even mildly playable and interesting, I would imagine. but that's really how poo poo went, I think

the book series had a helpful literal Deus ex machina vaguely omniscient computer to help the protagonist win his battles so it's not that the books inspired the scenario so much as they led me to think seriously about the fog of war and military history in middle school

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 30, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaguars! posted:

Yes, those are the companies. You collected some bonus survivors during the last turn which is why your line is so long.

I'd prefer a shorter formation that doesn't extend into contact with the trenches in the corner of the woods since we don't know what's there.

E: Saros yes see what you mean with the turns now. Was thinking in terms of the 9th turn out of 12 in the update. I'll correct my orders, brigadiers do the same if you get a chance.

E: Coker, essentially we have made a decision to give up some ground in the south allow us to set up a coherent defence. They already have to deal with losing two key positions last turn and shoring up their defences west of the river is likely to be their priority.

Updated!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

oystertoadfish posted:

I've imagined a game entirely in first person view of a general on horseback, where you're in a fight with no opportunity to optimize positioning beforehand and no direct control over anything except your own horse, not even your mistress (or if you're Fred the great, some flautist or military officer). but it would take a masterful effort to make it even mildly playable and interesting, I would imagine. but that's really how poo poo went, I think

:same: I've often toyed with the idea and how you could do something like that. It's an interesting concept but not easy to picture as playable in any way.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I doubt people have forgotten but remember that in the dark all spotting distances are reduced to only 4" for everything except firing. So if we did want those southern fords and the bridge watched we would pretty much need to have two or even three units spread out across them.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Strip three companies from northern part of trench and send them roughly ( they should be four inches out unlike shown) to points shown as pickets.

Otherwise Keep digging

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 31, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*Command Structure* *Roll20 table* *Pre-turn checklist* *Travel times*
*Movement, cover and spotting* *Firing and combat* *Firing demo*
*Billy bonus* *Command and Control*
*Writing orders including standing orders* *Relationship between standing orders and conditionals
*Example orders* *Brigades, Fatigue, New terrain, indirect fire, engineer times, new hill spotting* *Trenches and terrain*
Arrows! Formations! Conditionals! Standing Orders!

IV Corps Command(Tatankatonk)

40th (Saxon) Division(Aphid_Licker)

86th Bde (Saxon Green) (Added Space)

88th Bde (Slightly Pinkish) (Ikasuhito)

26th (Wurttemberg) Division(Jaguars)

51st Bde(Steinrokkan)

52nd Bde(Fathis Munk)

53rd Bde(Koolkevz666)

54th Bde (Saros)

Dropshorts

Ingenieure (Saros) TBA

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay can everyone have a look at your night time formations, you really need pickets out 4'' ahead of the main body so you can see and shoot enemies before they are on top of you.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hey Stein that block formation is really bad as it stops most of your companies from firing in their own defense. If you get charged in the night you will get utterly destroyed as they bounce around inside your formation. Also you really really need to have pickets out 4'' from your front (except due south as they'd be seen by the BEF in the SE of FdE.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saros posted:

Hey Stein that block formation is really bad as it stops most of your companies from firing in their own defense. If you get charged in the night you will get utterly destroyed as they bounce around inside your formation. Also you really really need to have pickets out 4'' from your front (except due south as they'd be seen by the BEF in the SE of FdE.)

I need to stand south of the road and away from the trenches. There's so much space one can use. Enemy can come from whichever way without being seen, so turning the formation into a line going east west would be dangerous, not to mention invalidating the orders not to advance through the forest. Pickets are already in updated orders as of now. They also reduce the availability of space for the main body of the regiment. A box formation is fine if it can spot enemies and opens fire from a stationary position, which it can, and does. Extending lines in an uncertain environment where the enemy vector is uncertain, and there are possible threats surrounding me is not a panacea for all combat issues.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 30, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

53rd Infantry orders

Only thing here is you are within spotting distance of the presumed BEF presence in the SE trenches so your rifle companies will get shot up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's impossible to estimate if that is going to be a salient issue by the time he reaches that spot. Most likely not, for one reason or another.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

Only thing here is you are within spotting distance of the presumed BEF presence in the SE trenches so your rifle companies will get shot up.

I try to judged if my troops were more than 4" from the BEF trenches in the southern edge of the forest, did I judge the line too close?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

I try to judged if my troops were more than 4" from the BEF trenches in the southern edge of the forest, did I judge the line too close?

It's hard to tell with an image this vague, it would be better to include a detailed screenshot of your intended final disposition.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

54 Infantry Bde orders:

Stay in marching order and follow the roads as shown to the northern ford. Once at the ford change to combat order and cross before settling down to defensive digging in in the position shown in red. Standard combat order.

-Engage with rifle fire.
-When spotting an enemy on attack mode turn towards them and advacne to within 12'' then go defensive.
-Never retreat.

Engineer orders:

Northern Cav Eng:

Set up two wire entanglements one after the other as shown. Once the wire is set up assist the 51st bde with entrenching.

Southern Cav Eng:

Run the hell away to the NEE until you meet the road then turn north and find Tallis Douche. Once you find the forest head to the NW corner and extend the trench line due north as shown. Keep diggin the trench line north until you reach the Ferme inutile farm and once you do pillage some wire from there.

1st and 2nd Infantry Engineers:

Abandon entrenching the guns in their current position and move as shown to the west part of Ferm Inutile. Dig trenches in preparation for the artillery moving up.

Once the Ferme trenches are complete the southern engineer is to dig directly south in the direction of Tallis Douche until it meets the cav engineer coming north and connects the two. The northern engineer is to start digging a trench between the northern part of the Ferme trenches and the second ford.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 30, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, 40th (Saxon) Division (remnants) :siren:

Ikasuhito, remain in place, keep digging until you hit dwarves but not further to account for the risk of Balrogs, then settle down for ä Schälchn Heeßn Saxon: a little bowl of hot (stuff) = coffee, try to look unimportant, maybe the enemy is low on ammunition.

[b]everyone else[b]
Move to the orange circle on the map below, the one on the south portion of Chemin, entrench, identical caveats w/r/t Balrogs, hot drinks & being inconspicuous apply.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

Looks like it to me.

This is a 4'' radius from the trenches

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

if your orders are not finished I strongly suggest you get on with it

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Added a extra fire mission as follows:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Deadline is extended to 5pm tomorrow

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Saros posted:

Okay can everyone have a look at your night time formations, you really need pickets out 4'' ahead of the main body so you can see and shoot enemies before they are on top of you.

Huh clever, will amend my orders tonight at some point.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Added a extra fire mission as follows:

Can we get fire missions to hit the western road of FdE or is that out of range?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Saros posted:

Can we get fire missions to hit the western road of FdE or is that out of range?

Roughly 60 inches from my line if I'm counting correctly.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Updated my orders post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=470829650

Is this ok for the nighttime sentries ? Or should the arrow reach the left border of the chit ?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's fine.

Just remember that each of these pickets represents about 5% of your firepower and casualty allowance, so don't overdo it. Do the pickets allow units to actually fire through the woods?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Jaguars! posted:

That's fine.

Just remember that each of these pickets represents about 5% of your firepower and casualty allowance, so don't overdo it. Do the pickets allow units to actually fire through the woods?

Them dying will light up the enemies that shot them. It's also a chance to go defensive and run out your big guns

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ah nice, the defence stance didn't occur to me. The trench mortars won't work in the woods though, will they? Last turn they were firing, but that was from an entrenchement.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

Ah nice, the defence stance didn't occur to me. The trench mortars won't work in the woods though, will they? Last turn they were firing, but that was from an entrenchement.

The entrenchment was in a forest though so it seems strange to let it fire from a trench inside a forest and not from outside a trench in the same forest. Then again with these rules got no idea.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Presumably entrenching would also involve clearing trees that obstruct the use of trench mortars but really I have no idea and I'd rather just see what happens than go back and study all the old turns yet again. sigh.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

The Rules posted:

Artillery may only fire out of a wood if its edge is touching the edge of the wood; it may only fire out of a town if in the Outskirts; no artillery in a wood may fire into the wood; no artillery in the Outskirts may fire into a town; no artillery in a town may fire at all; only howitzers may fire into a town from outside.

Maybe you're thinking of this one ? But mortars don't count as artillery do they ?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm almost certain that trin specifically wrote up our trench mortars firing in the forest not entrenched two updates ago. it was that first brigade to get eaten up by the forest. I made a post about it where we tried to figure out how many deaths were from our mortars amidst other fire and enemy friendly fire

I think trin even responded to specify that the mortars were able to defend themselves. the events and trin's comments might have been specific to the situation but the fact that the mortars killed people who were charging them makes me optimistic that they're fairly flexible

if I wasn't on my phone I'd find it myself but I've got enough on my hands finding typos from the swyping. it would be as simple as going through my diarrhea like post history and Ctrl+f ing for mortar hopefully. or going through trin's and Ctrl+f ing my name to find his quote

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 31, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe you're thinking of this one ? But mortars don't count as artillery do they ?

Mortars are artillery. When in the middle of a wood, regardless of whether or not they're entrenched, they may fire only to defend themselves from close combat.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Since we have some time to fine tune, I edited my orders so my Brigade Com wasn't sitting right on the crossroads - aka the Rout button. I can at least tuck it away a little.

At this point I'm actually counting on a weird little rule as written - it will take my MGs two turns to get the orders to rally. During that time they can hide from the the incoming artillery and help defend against the inevitable charge from the SE Foret trenches - assuming everyone doesn't just get massively lost.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Trin Tragula posted:

Mortars are artillery. When in the middle of a wood, regardless of whether or not they're entrenched, they may fire only to defend themselves from close combat.

Hmm. Well I'll try to move my mortars up to the treeline I guess, should get home early enough today.

Also just noticed that in my new orders I forgot to remove the dead mortar in my formation. Oops.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Added Space posted:

Since we have some time to fine tune, I edited my orders so my Brigade Com wasn't sitting right on the crossroads - aka the Rout button. I can at least tuck it away a little.

At this point I'm actually counting on a weird little rule as written - it will take my MGs two turns to get the orders to rally. During that time they can hide from the the incoming artillery and help defend against the inevitable charge from the SE Foret trenches - assuming everyone doesn't just get massively lost.

Why on earth would they try to charge us in the middle of the night out of well prepared defensive position?
They are totally going to try to charge us in the night aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Charging at night carries less risk of getting shot I guess? :v:

• Locked thread