Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I had no idea Katherine Heigl's latest show was cancelled after 2 episodes. Feel kinda bad for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

I had no idea Katherine Heigl's latest show was cancelled after 2 episodes. Feel kinda bad for her.

The one constant thing I've always read / heard about her is that she is a nightmare to work with, so I don't feel that bad. She'll just have to settle for doing Kitty litter commercials and probably having way more money than you or me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also what the hell it takes an entire third of the episode to get to the opening credits

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

The one constant thing I've always read / heard about her is that she is a nightmare to work with, so I don't feel that bad. She'll just have to settle for doing Kitty litter commercials and probably having way more money than you or me.
She could've stayed on Grey's Anatomy, but nooo, she thought she was better than everyone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man you guys were right, 3 episodes in and Imposters is fuckin' great

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress I hate every character of this dumb scrubs spinoff slash scrubs season nine except the smoking hot australian lady who shows up every three episodes or so

As I recall, Bill Lawrence only did the ninth season because ABC gave him and Braff a poo poo-ton of money to do it (the eighth season drew far better ratings than they expected, and I think Braff got almost a full season's worth of salary for six episodes), and he begged them to let him change the name to Med School or Scrubs Med or something like that. But, yeah, the Med School season is pretty rough after how pitch-perfect almost all of Season 8 is. None of the characters feel like themselves and the sets are just hideous.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Timby posted:

As I recall, Bill Lawrence only did the ninth season because ABC gave him and Braff a poo poo-ton of money to do it (the eighth season drew far better ratings than they expected, and I think Braff got almost a full season's worth of salary for six episodes), and he begged them to let him change the name to Med School or Scrubs Med or something like that. But, yeah, the Med School season is pretty rough after how pitch-perfect almost all of Season 8 is. None of the characters feel like themselves and the sets are just hideous.

Yeah, and they didn't know what to do with the child-voiced guy for the entire season. He starts out as the nonredeemable villain shithead who never gets any comeuppance, then they turned him into the main character's boytoy but is also a complete loving rear end in a top hat, then he's some airheaded ditz who is really trying to make things right
And Cox is a massive rear end in a top hat with none of the heart he had in any of the previous episodes and JD and Turk they straight up loving now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory of afterScrubs was that it was terrible for the first six episodes or so because they kept shoving in the original cast and forcing the new characters to be versions of the old ones. Then once JT and the rest ditched out the characters were starting to become themselves and I thought it could have been a good show without that anchor.

And it was actually a pretty good crew of then unknowns with Eliza Coupe, Kerry Bishe, Michael Mosley. And I guess Dave Franco but I kind of hate him.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

My memory of afterScrubs was that it was terrible for the first six episodes or so because they kept shoving in the original cast and forcing the new characters to be versions of the old ones. Then once JT and the rest ditched out the characters were starting to become themselves and I thought it could have been a good show without that anchor.

And it was actually a pretty good crew of then unknowns with Eliza Coupe, Kerry Bishe, Michael Mosley. And I guess Dave Franco but I kind of hate him.

This is my memory too. I recall liking the last few episodes a fair bit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

Do you use it from across the room? I think I'd go cross-eyed.

No, but my head is about three feet away from it, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

You son of a bitch.

It had a neat premise but it lacked in execution. I'm still not entirely sure what exactly those last episodes were much less that ending.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

This was the general feeling of most people at the time. It was a big mistake to have JD around for more than the first episode. His part really hindered the new cast from breaking out quickly and by the time they did after he left the show was beyond saving.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scrubs s8 really is so good though

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

This is my memory too. I recall liking the last few episodes a fair bit.

I remember feeling that way too. It improved a lot by the end but I couldn't blame anyone who quit watching.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Time After Time got canceled. I actually liked it but I also loved the old movie. I'm pretty sure I am just about the only one who cares that it got canceled. poo poo was still better than Timeless.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

Did we watch the same show?

In terms of whether people's lives get better (10) or worse (1)? Yeah, I think we are

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I see The Amazing Race is starting up tomorrow. Does anyone care?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Other than my dad, probably not

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I only watched last season because Tyler and Korey were on it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Man you guys were right, 3 episodes in and Imposters is fuckin' great

How does it rack up against Good Behavior? Gonna hit one of those after Patriot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress I hate every character of this dumb scrubs spinoff slash scrubs season nine except the smoking hot australian lady who shows up every three episodes or so

Man why would you even watch that.

Honestly, I was pretty tired of the cast after 8 seasons and felt most of the characters had gotten pretty "Flanderized" as tvtropes would say, so even if the med school show didn't look like it would be physically painful to watch I would've probably not bothered. But everything about it just looks so goddamn awful.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Per posted:

I see The Amazing Race is starting up tomorrow. Does anyone care?

It's gotten so bad, I really doubt I'll bother with it this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Time After Time got canceled. I actually liked it but I also loved the old movie. I'm pretty sure I am just about the only one who cares that it got canceled. poo poo was still better than Timeless.

I hate it (love the movie and book, though), but my wife adores the show. I see that ABC didn't just cancel it, they yanked it from the schedule entirely, so they aren't even burning off finished episodes. Yowza.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell was up with there being a half dozen shows about time travel all of a sudden?

Also I need a cheap sub 40" tv for the home gym room.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I have one of these on the wall in my office, works pretty well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

What the hell was up with there being a half dozen shows about time travel all of a sudden?

TV seems to do those fads all the time. Some show has some success with a wacky premise and all of a sudden every network wants one of their own. Or they hear that some network is developing a wacky premise so they all try and beat them to the punch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it also that between comic book shows, space mercinary shows, YA adaptions, and Stranger Things style callbacks, there is saturation for non time travel scifi. I don't think it's too crazy that people looked at this environment and said "Scifi is big, how do we get in on that?" And landed on time travel.

Oh and don't forget zombies. Like 5 shows are still doing that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Oh and don't forget zombies. Like 5 shows are still doing that.

Does Santa Clarita count as a zombie show really?

Walking Dead, its godawful spinoff, Z Nation, iZombie, what else?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
SCD is as much a zombie show as iZombie is. It uses the undead as a premise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but I think that stuff all tends to have a flash point. Something that hit big all on its own that everyone wanted to get in on.

Like the zombie crazy probably came from the success of The Walking Dead. The vampire crazy probably came from the success of Twilight. The young people in post apocalyptic settings probably came from the Hunger Games. The musical shows from the success of Glee. The magic shows from Harry Potter. etc

I can't think of what would have sparked a time travel craze, though. So it kind of hurts my theory.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

SCD is as much a zombie show as iZombie is. It uses the undead as a premise.

I never actually watched iZombie, I guess it is though.

e: I actually can't think of any current time travel shows other than 12 Monkeys and whatever that supermarket erotica scotland one.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 30, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's possible they were in the pipe banking on the success of Terminator Genisys, and then they just figured, well, we'll make them anyway, sci-fi is big right now...

Edit: iZombie is so fuckin funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I just started Santa Clarita last night and its definitely a zombie show. You don't need to be a post apocalyptic melodrama to be about zombies. The genre's filled with dark comedies.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm watching the Oasis pilot on Amazon. It's actually quite lovely. It's got a goony neckbeard Haley Joel Osment that another character calls Stay Puft, references holodecks, a mail robot cleaning robot, and a cat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

I never actually watched iZombie, I guess it is though.

e: I actually can't think of any current time travel shows other than 12 Monkeys and whatever that supermarket erotica scotland one.

There was two network ones this year. One that had a team of people going back in time and one that had like HG Wells and Jack the Ripper or something wacky like that. I'm tempted to call them both Time After Time but obviously that can only be one of them. DC's Legends of Tomorrow is another (and sorta/kinda the Flash). SyFy has had a couple of shows that used it, I think. Aftermath and one of those Canadian multi platform things. There's Doctor Who but that probably lives outside the sphere of a "fad".

Its not a genre I enjoy so I tend to avoid them and I have no idea what films may be out there.

edit: Oh, there's a Fox comedy Making History. I've been watching that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There was also frequency, which was last year, I think.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I guess I'm so peak-TVed that a lot of these are just flying completely under my radar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the only one that has had any headlines or had any word of mouth was 12 Monkeys. And Legends of Tomorrow as part of the big DC-verse of TV shows. So its not that odd that you didn't notice them. There's a lot of TV shows on and none of these stood out from the pack.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And those are the two I knew about, though I skipped Legends of Tomorrow because I'm kind of fatigued with the comic book remake genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Croatoan posted:

Time After Time got canceled. I actually liked it but I also loved the old movie. I'm pretty sure I am just about the only one who cares that it got canceled.

I had no idea it had even premiered until I read that it was cancelled.

Croatoan posted:

poo poo was still better than Timeless.

Literal poo poo is better than Timeless.

• Locked thread