Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Free MarchingPowder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

The Titanic posted:

If there is no poster, there is no sale. Now this isn't to say this will happen 100% of the time, but if you come up with a 0% boasting sperg to 15k purchase ratio, your $15k purchase is as real and factual as Star Citizen motion capture being completed.
Wasn't the theory floated that they're just pushing their own money into the meter?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

He's got a great voice for talking about chinese fire hazards, though it would probably work for just about any other stuff as well

And, like the one he did with the exploding LED lamp the other day, he does great shock takes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hopper posted:

So Beer, since you seem to be the expert on Warhammer: the New humble book bundle is the Horus Heresy books plus some odd extras.
Are those books like the main story to get an idea of the warhammer universe? I am tempted to read it to get an idea of what 40K is about when you go beyond the seemingly weird superficial bits and bobs of the lore you pick up here and there.

It is the far past of WH40K history. You learn about why the Emperor's...body...is kept in the Golden Throne and how the Traitor Legions got founded. For me, it was important reading, but I tend to loresperg a good bit. If you want to know what is "currently" happening in the Imperium of Man and the surroundings, it is not a good read.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The funding tracker is hosted on CIGs own site , and controlled by CIG

Why would anyone think for even a split second that it is 100% true and factual about how much money they're making

They have zero accountability and no reason NOT to fudge the daily totals to make their ship look perfectly upright and intact

I almost wish there was an organization out there that investigated this specific sort of thing , maybe we can create a new term for it

Marketing fraud ? That sounds legit

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

You are forgetting the critical component:

There is no way they are buying it AND not talking about their newest fleet addition somewhere.

Nobody is going to drop $15k on something and not expect people to bow down to them on a forum somewhere.

Somebody needs to make an algorithm that takes these spikes, and pulls the different Star Citizen forum locations and look for Grand Admiral Han SoloXxX42 talking about how he's going to be swimming in his hot tub while watching his fleet out the window.

If there is no poster, there is no sale. Now this isn't to say this will happen 100% of the time, but if you come up with a 0% boasting sperg to 15k purchase ratio, your $15k purchase is as real and factual as Star Citizen motion capture being completed.

This has been said before, and, I suspect, it would be a handy tool in pointing out the funding tracker inconsistencies (we all know exist). Since ego stroking is a vital part of the Citizenry experience.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thoatse posted:

That he should stick that electrode up his butt?

No? That Big Clive is pretty cool?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Samizdata posted:

This has been said before, and, I suspect, it would be a handy tool in pointing out the funding tracker inconsistencies (we all know exist). Since ego stroking is a vital part of the Citizenry experience.

Ego stroking is the full experience, it's not like there is a game or anything yet.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Samizdata posted:

It is the far past of WH40K history. You learn about why the Emperor's...body...is kept in the Golden Throne and how the Traitor Legions got founded. For me, it was important reading, but I tend to loresperg a good bit. If you want to know what is "currently" happening in the Imperium of Man and the surroundings, it is not a good read.

To add:

That being said, Horus Rising/False Gods/Galaxy in Flames is a fantastic opening trilogy to the universe itself.

The HH series are more like prequels though- so you're not going to get the Grimdark religious future, instead you have a somewhat optimistic, atheist society on the knife edge of greatness or disparity (and we all know which one occurs)

I think it's good to get, but wait to read them until after the Eisenhorn Omnibus and if you want to know how poo poo got so hosed up dive into HH.

Oh the series is currently 42 books strong. Official books that is, not counting filler books which brings the number to about 60.

(I'm currently on book 20, The Primarchs)

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Why would anyone think for even a split second that it is 100% true and factual about how much money they're making

They have zero accountability and no reason NOT to fudge the daily totals to make their ship look perfectly upright and intact

I almost wish there was an organization out there that investigated this specific sort of thing , maybe we can create a new term for it

FTFY.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Hopper posted:

So Beer, since you seem to be the expert on Warhammer: the New humble book bundle is the Horus Heresy books plus some odd extras.
Are those books like the main story to get an idea of the warhammer universe? I am tempted to read it to get an idea of what 40K is about when you go beyond the seemingly weird superficial bits and bobs of the lore you pick up here and there.

Those books are okay but there are better books than anything to do with 30k. Night lords trilogy, gaunts ghosts, ultramarines series..etc

Currently painting up a Cadian army for a tale of warlords escalation...after painting some gaurdsmen up from the start collecting box I've decided to go armored guard..woo-hoo only having to paint 20 veterans because gently caress painting 120 dudes

Goobs fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Does Space China trade in Space Opium? (does a space bear poo poo in the space forest?)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

And furthermore ....

Another angle no one considered , is maybe CIG down played their income for the first year or two

I know it's hard to believe the money pouring in already , but what if they said they made 20 million when it was in reality 30 million ... wonder where that other 10 mil went ?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Here is everything you need to get up to speed with W40k:

In the grim darkness of the future there is only war. War waged by testtube babies in metal diapers on behalf of a corpse whose ghost may or may not be powering interstellar travel. Sometimes they fight the evil testtube babies in spooky metal diapers who wage war against the corpse. Sometimes they fight space elves who destroyed their civilisation with interdimensional aids. Sometimes they fight the Xenomorph from Alien. The most interesting times are when they fight high-functioning mushrooms. The least interesting times are when they fight the Terminator from Terminator Salvation. But most importantly, they are always fighting someone and it's always going poorly because this is literally where the term grimdark comes from.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I used to think 40k lore was pretty terribe, then bad-ice.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Here is everything you need to get up to speed with W40k:

In the grim darkness of the future there is only war. War waged by testtube babies in metal diapers on behalf of a corpse whose ghost may or may not be powering interstellar travel. Sometimes they fight the evil testtube babies in spooky metal diapers who wage war against the corpse. Sometimes they fight space elves who destroyed their civilisation with interdimensional aids. Sometimes they fight the Xenomorph from Alien. The most interesting times are when they fight high-functioning mushrooms. The least interesting times are when they fight the Terminator from Terminator Salvation. But most importantly, they are always fighting someone and it's always going poorly because this is literally where the term grimdark comes from.

Yeah that's the gist of it and it sounds like 40k is horribly monotonous and exaggerated and bad. Hence why I would like to read something that kinda gives me an overview so I can judge whether it really is that bad or whether there is actually some sense behind what looks to be a violence-fanatic's wet dream...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
40k still bad, SC worse

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hopper posted:

Yeah that's the gist of it and it sounds like 40k is horribly monotonous and exaggerated and bad. Hence why I would like to read something that kinda gives me an overview so I can judge whether it really is that bad or whether there is actually some sense behind what looks to be a violence-fanatic's wet dream...

Read the Gaunt Ghost series, you know I have good tastes since I'm here in he SC thread with you.

EDIT: I have never played a single game of WH40K tabletop, but I've read a lot of the books. Anything by Dan Abnett or Aaron Dembski-Bowden is usually cool, the rest is all trash.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 30, 2017

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Just over 100 posts this last 24 hours.

All time low and prove Star Citizen is now really dying.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Orions Lord posted:

Or just the lulz before the storm.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Orions Lord posted:

We're all holding our breath waiting for CitizenCon 2017. How many days AP?

...but yeah, there's pretty few comedy guarantors until then, just the regular ho-hum citizen craziness

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

lol

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

"...the only real downside to SC right now, is that there isn't much in the game yet"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I recall a saying that went something like 'a mile wide and inch deep'?

Wonder how the 42nd Squadron is doing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

miners will do more than shoot lasers at rocks, they will have to manage things like drill speed and pressure to optimize resource gain

So not only will it be tedious as gently caress, you'll have to pay close attention the whole time

Man, I'll never understand game development as well as these guys

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Stop spreading FUD! Thanks to Croberts and the magic of fidelity mining will be as exciting the 8 millionth time you do it as it was the first time!

You can tell this is guaranteed by looking how immersive the current modules are and how player retention is so high.

It would only be bad if CIG had to do something like lower the minimum player count on their new shooter mode to something embarrassingly low, around 6 maybe, in hopes of getting enough people to launch a match.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

We're all holding our breath waiting for CitizenCon 2017. How many days AP?

192 days

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Very very early alphas. 5 years. Yep

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

192 days

I wonder if they've begun filming this year's "Road to CitizenCon" yet :allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Since people have been taking about 40K/40K books again...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horus-heresy-warhammer-book-bundle

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Xaerael posted:

They started due to that bundle :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Daztek posted:

They started due to that bundle :v:

That's what happens when you skip posts folks. Learn from my well meaning mistakes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Xaerael posted:

LOL there is that Fulgrim book where a transhuman bioengineered superman gets his soul is trapped a picture made of poo poo and semen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hopper posted:

$15 for all those books is cool and good. GW books are hit or miss but the Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Gaunt's Ghosts series are good. There's a 40K thread in the Book Barn.

I recommend reading Lexicanum if you want a free source of all the lore.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Particularly in light of the fact that we KNOW they don't show refunds on the funding tracker. There's absolutely no way that thing's legit and I'd bet dollars to pesos they drop a completionist package in there every once in a while to make it look like funding is healthier than it is.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

$15 for all those books is cool and good. GW books are hit or miss but the Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Gaunt's Ghosts series are good. There's a 40K thread in the Book Barn.

Battletech books are the same way. They recently started re-releasing a bunch of the classic ones under the Battletech: Legends line and I've been reading through them because of nostalgia (and because at $4.00 a pop they're a nice cheap easy read before bed) and holy poo poo I had forgotten how bad some of those were. I've never read any 40K stuff but I feel like between reading the Battletech books and all those old Aliens books that were adapted from the comics I've probably got a pretty good feel for the kind of writing you get with them.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Yeah, just avoid CS Goto and Ben Counter.

That's the first fourteen books or so that contains the most salient points of the buildup to the main event of Istvaan V. This is 30K, though. This is the lead up to 'modern' paranoid, superstitious imperium under siege from it's own worst excesses as a warped reflection of what the emperor was trying to build.

They're actually advancing the timeline at the moment in the game, so one of the Primarchs is back and he's _pissed_.

Beet Wagon posted:

Battletech books are the same way.

Squawk!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1d4chan for when the relentless darkness gets a bit much.

Hav fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 30, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

WebDog posted:

Wasn't the theory floated that they're just pushing their own money into the meter?

This is really the simplest explanation - CIG is just paying themselves periodically.

I'm guessing they've got a paper-thin excuse ready to go. Since the "assets" the funding tracker represents is just digital wank, with no limit to how many can be "manufactured", there's no limit to how many times they can pay themselves and claim the transaction is valid.

- CIG periodically "buys" its own inventory of completionist packages, using money from an expense account in one of their many, many shell corporations, to keep the tracker looking healthy during down times
- Said money goes right back into CIG, but the tracker makes it look like legit income
- CIG tracks the packages it has purchased as if it's real inventory
- Streamer X is thinking about streaming Star Marine but can't hate himself enough to start
- CIG says "Hey buddy boy, there's a completionist package in it for you"
- CIG pays streamer from its existing purchased inventory of digital goods
- Since the package might have been purchased months prior to the gift, it's impossible to link the tracker spikes with the streamer and media bribes

When the authorities come knocking, CIG thinks they can claim "Hey, there's no law that says a company can't purchase its own products" or some such. The fact that there is no actual product, and that the nature of digital goods means there's no physical limit to manufacturing or inventory that has traditionally guided the laws surrounding goods and services, means they are not only expecting, but in fact depending on the legal quagmire that will result in them being the first company in history to lie in this extremely specific way.

Star Citizen will be the first at many things, but none of them will be a game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Option 1, Yesterday somebody spent $15,000 on a pc game that will never be released.

or

Option 2, CIG is faking the funding tracker so people who've already spent thousands on a pc game, that will never be released, don't start to figure out that the cash is running out.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
15k is the largest lump sum they can conceivably (the completionist) add to the tracker without getting backers suspicious.

It would be insanely illegal to outright fake this. More likely it reflects loans, investors, or other revenue as that has a lot more wiggle room.

Its also important to remember there are large numbers of gullible retards involved at every level of this.