Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think the issue is the leveling system. Once you have 5 levels over an enemy they wont usually one shot you anymore on hard. Doing my second playthrough im starting to think the difficulty thing could have been managed much better if there was no leveling up and challange was purely controlled by the chip system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, sorry, everything with Emi Evans is good, and his opinion invalid. I like her duo project stuff as well, I wish she made more music I could buy.

You can trust any OST with involvement by the following Japanese people :

Yoko Kanno
Kajiura Yuki
The Ar Tonelico people especially including Shikata Akiko
And Okabe.

Did I forget someone?

You might have forgotten about Yasunori Mitsuda.

And I love the guy who did FFXI's soundtrack Naoshi Mizuta. I can close my eyes and immediately think back to my wasted youth grinding crabs and nodding to some good tunes.

We probably need a badass games OST thread.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Hello. If you'd like about a hundred articles on why this is a good rear end game welp:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/q63HhWM.gif][/timg]

Hahaha, howdy! Just want you to know that I'd read a bit of your Nier LP before digging far into Automata, but when I was running through (route C spoilers): the Tower, and slammed into the un-textured version of The Library, I had to save the game, exit, and finish reading your LP because I knew poo poo was about to pop off. So thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god (TOTAL ENDGAME SPOILERS) they're pulling the save data deletion poo poo. :allears: I still have stuff to get. I promise that I'll come back for the other players!!!

Without spoiling too much, what needs to be done to get joke endings? Are they all hidden in the game accessible whenever, or are there hints ingame to where they are?

Supremezero posted:

The irony of this is that you'll have to go through the credits again to volunteer your data.

Which means you'll sacrifice more data so you can volunteer yours.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like data's actually sacrificed, but it's still kind of hilarious.

:laffo: So it's a losing battle! loving perfect.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god (TOTAL ENDGAME SPOILERS) they're pulling the save data deletion poo poo. :allears: I still have stuff to get. I promise that I'll come back for the other players!!!

The irony of this is that you'll have to go through the credits again to volunteer your data.

Which means you'll sacrifice more data so you can volunteer yours.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like data's actually sacrificed, but it's still kind of hilarious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Hello. If you'd like about a hundred articles on why this is a good rear end game welp:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/q63HhWM.gif][/timg]

Thank you, I was just wondering how long until you did this. I'd just like to say thanks, it was your LPs that got me into Drakengard and Nier. I went out and bought Nier after your first update for that one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looked into the joke endings, it seems like they really are just one-off jokes. I guess my question is, now that I've gotten ending E, what meat is left? Is there still story stuff to be found?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Iretep posted:

I think the issue is the leveling system. Once you have 5 levels over an enemy they wont usually one shot you anymore on hard. Doing my second playthrough im starting to think the difficulty thing could have been managed much better if there was no leveling up and challange was purely controlled by the chip system.

Mostly I'm pissed because I finally got Emil's high-end material shop to spawn, stocked up, then got two-shotted on my way to Masamune.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Looked into the joke endings, it seems like they really are just one-off jokes. I guess my question is, now that I've gotten ending E, what meat is left? Is there still story stuff to be found?

The stuff revolving around Ending Y is pretty great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

The second superboss is the only narrative thing left, assuming you completed all sidequests.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

I'm going to maintain that the difficulty settings are completely out of whack. I steamroll everything on Normal but when I try to turn it up to Hard I get two-shotted by everything even with a decent chip loadout and it's a miserable experience. The jump in enemy damage output is just way too high.

Same experience, but when I switched to hard I really ended up exploring a lot more combat options than I had taken into consideration in the past since you can't just play the same way you do on Normal. What weapons are you using?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Oxxidation posted:

I'm going to maintain that the difficulty settings are completely out of whack. I steamroll everything on Normal but when I try to turn it up to Hard I get two-shotted by everything even with a decent chip loadout and it's a miserable experience. The jump in enemy damage output is just way too high.

The way I see it, Easy is if you don't want to bother with the combat, Normal is for those who haven't played a Platinum game before, and Hard is for people who really like Platinum games and practiced them a lot. Very Hard is for people who are either stupid or very cool, depending on whether or not they actually enjoy it

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
2 questions:

How do you complete half-wit inventor quest?

Will I get a chance to beat the remaining side quests after route B or do I need to beat gen before the last part of B?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Mr President posted:

2 questions:

Will I get a chance to beat the remaining side quests after route B or do I need to beat gen before the last part of B?

Question one: Just give the dude a lot of cash, and question two: you can't permanently miss sidequests.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Trick Question posted:

Question one: Just give the dude a lot of cash, and question two: you can't permanently miss sidequests.

related, but some sidequests reset their progress when moving between routes. I'm not sure if inventor is one of them but I don't think it would be? Another quest that involves giving money does reset though wandering couple

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, sorry, everything with Emi Evans is good, and his opinion invalid. I like her duo project stuff as well, I wish she made more music I could buy.

You can trust any OST with involvement by the following Japanese people :

Yoko Kanno
Kajiura Yuki
The Ar Tonelico people especially including Shikata Akiko
And Okabe.

Did I forget someone?

RE: Bolded
Anything GUST really. I've not heard everything they've done in history, naturally, but I've never stumbled onto something of theirs that is less than stellar.

And yeah, Emi Evans' "Freesscape" band are good and I'd recommend go getting their stuff if you need more Emi Evans in your life (you probably do)

Nuebot posted:

Thank you, I was just wondering how long until you did this. I'd just like to say thanks, it was your LPs that got me into Drakengard and Nier. I went out and bought Nier after your first update for that one.

Only tangentially related to this thread, but my "I bought this game because TDI LP'ed it" game is Dirge of Cerberus... Why the gently caress did I do that? I've never played it but everything in that LP showed that the game is utter poo poo with no redeeming features. :negative:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 30, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr President posted:

2 questions:

Give him the full amount of cash he asks for each time. It comes to 180g I think. If you sell a few machine cores you can afford it easily.

You'll be able to do all sidequests again, but not until you complete Route C.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only tangentially related to this thread, but my "I bought this game because TDI LP'ed it" game is Dirge of Cerberus... Why the gently caress did I do that? I've never played it but everything in that LP showed that the game is utter poo poo with no redeeming features. :negative:

Haha, you fool!

I've played almost every Resident Evil game (though most of them before I knew LPs even existed), and then the drakengards. :negative: I also have a copy of chrono cross a friend lent me then never wanted back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chrono Cross is pretty good if you ignore all of the Chrono Trigger links and treat the music like nice remixes at least.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I got bored like halfway through because I wasn't especially invested in the badcatdad. He was the main character's dad right? That wasn't just a fever dream?

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
I did something dumb with my saves such that I needed to start over from scratch (I thought the post-ending E thing only deleted your current save slot, not all of them). I really wanted to have the cool combat skills available from the start, so I spent a few hours with the savegames and a hex editor and have gotten a simple chip inventory editor working:

Still working on it, but I have had the game accept edited chips. You can make unbalanced small slot count chips with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sounds pretty fun actually

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

I did something dumb with my saves such that I needed to start over from scratch (I thought the post-ending E thing only deleted your current save slot, not all of them). I really wanted to have the cool combat skills available from the start, so I spent a few hours with the savegames and a hex editor and have gotten a simple chip inventory editor working:

Still working on it, but I have had the game accept edited chips. You can make unbalanced small slot count chips with it.

Hahahaha thinking Yoko Taro would be nice and doing what you think.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

ghostinmyshell posted:

We probably need a badass games OST thread.

There's a boss theme thread out there but I second this as a more general notion anyway.

Now that I've listened to the official soundtrack that has versions of the songs that aren't just a single type (quiet, medium, dynamic, etc) and actually vary between them all I think I can say this just edges out the original Nier's soundtrack. Shadowlord, Grandma, and Cold Steel Coffin will always hold very special places in my heart, but there's something about the variation in Automata that really gets to me. Emi Evans is fantastic, and J'nique Nicole is a great addition that pairs and contrasts with her amazingly. I think that may be what makes A Beautiful Song one of my absolute favorite tracks ever.

Also Dark Colossus is loving incredible on the soundtrack, holy poo poo, I can't believe how much of an improvement it is on the original when all the pieces are meshed together so well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Impressions of the game now that I've finished it:

This game had quite a different countenance/personality than the first. It's very introspective and philosophical, while the first game had a lot more horror and despair to it. I remember going what the gently caress a lot more while watching TDI's LP of the first game than I did while playing this game, and I kinda miss that. The premise, backstory, mystery and revelations of the first game were much more intriguing and hooked me better than this game did, though that might be because this game tied itself heavily to the previous one, so the whole "humanity was dead the whole time" twist was lost on me.

I also got a little more attached to the first game's characters (e.g. Kaine, Emil). Not to say that Automata's characters are bad, but it feels like 9S gets the grand majority of the development while 2B and A2 aren't as well-explored (2B moreso), which is a bit of a shame. The backstory and supplemental material for Kaine et al. was really important for getting me to like them and care about them, and I haven't encountered that for the androids.

Actually, now that I think about it - I think there's two real main characters in the game: 9S, who discovers the truth and goes bugfuck as a result, and the machines, who change and develop the most over the course of the game (both in its history and in the main story). Which is an interesting approach, but...I wanna hear more about 2B and A2 :saddowns:

I prefer the original game's music. This one's music seems to be very calm and thematic, which is good and all, but I never really ran into anything quite like "Blu-bird", "Hills of Radiant Winds", or "Kaine". I might just be picky, though. It did get me to start re-playing the first game's OST which is loving stunning so hey, not all bad.

This might all change with the DLC or any extended material coming out, but the original still wins out for me. Automata's a better game, but it's missing something the original had that I can't quite identify.

Squidtentacle posted:

There's a boss theme thread out there but I second this as a more general notion anyway.

Now that I've listened to the official soundtrack that has versions of the songs that aren't just a single type (quiet, medium, dynamic, etc) and actually vary between them all I think I can say this just edges out the original Nier's soundtrack. Shadowlord, Grandma, and Cold Steel Coffin will always hold very special places in my heart, but there's something about the variation in Automata that really gets to me. Emi Evans is fantastic, and J'nique Nicole is a great addition that pairs and contrasts with her amazingly. I think that may be what makes A Beautiful Song one of my absolute favorite tracks ever.

Also Dark Colossus is loving incredible on the soundtrack, holy poo poo, I can't believe how much of an improvement it is on the original when all the pieces are meshed together so well.

I haven't sat down and listened to the Automata OST yet, but I appreciated how well it worked in-game. Maybe I haven't given it a fair shake yet...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Super scum advice: It's obviously entirely trivial to alt tab out of the game and copy/archive/make read-only your savegame files during the 6x confirmation and then revert later if you're super curious (the ending won't be marked on the restored savegames, obviously). I don't know if actively breaking the meta narrative of "breaking the narrative" is against or totally within the spirit of ending E but i'm sure yoko taro will haunt me and sternly and disappointedly glare at me until i rectify the situation.
:negative:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't sat down and listened to the Automata OST yet, but I appreciated how well it worked in-game. Maybe I haven't given it a fair shake yet...

If you're looking for something with the same impact as Blu-Bird or Hills of Radiant Wind, you really should just sit down and listen to Grandma - Destruction (youtube.com/watch?v= VncjpofSgyE), A Beautiful Song (youtube.com/watch?v= Z2gc0W485E8), Birth of a Wish (youtube.com/watch?v= I9roPlcHBDY), and Dark Colossus (youtube.com/watch?v= ECRsfnklnD4). I thought Dark Colossus was a little lackluster ingame, but the soundtrack version does some serious work with it.

Other really solid ones are War & War (youtube.com/watch?v= lgFLQBLqW68) and Possessed by a Disease (youtube.com/watch?v= PcxC70ow4ik), which aren't super intense immediately but boy do they get to me.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

I did something dumb with my saves such that I needed to start over from scratch (I thought the post-ending E thing only deleted your current save slot, not all of them).

I accidentally read this spoiler cause i was absentminded and i was wondering if it's possible to explain what it's about without giving any story away? I mean i don't want to start over from scratch too like the OP.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Don't worry about it, its is a separate option with 7 confirmation boxes and makes sense once you get there

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dongattack posted:

I accidentally read this spoiler cause i was absentminded and i was wondering if it's possible to explain what it's about without giving any story away? I mean i don't want to start over from scratch too like the OP.

You'll know it when you see it, and it'll make sense then. Don't worry until you get there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Okay :)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
So did we ever talk about how Project Gestalt probably inspired the machines' ark project which allows them to exist separated from their bodies as pure consciousness data

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Super scum advice: It's obviously entirely trivial to alt tab out of the game and copy/archive/make read-only your savegame files during the 6x confirmation and then revert later if you're super curious (the ending won't be marked on the restored savegames, obviously). I don't know if actively breaking the meta narrative of "breaking the narrative" is against or totally within the spirit of ending E but i'm sure yoko taro will haunt me and sternly and disappointedly glare at me until i rectify the situation.
:negative:

I'd say it's perfectly in line with robot religion of Humans to find ways to un-gently caress the universe. We have Become as Gods to them

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Holy crap I only now saw that there's a cutscene at Kainé's hut in the third act if you unlock it beforehand. I had zero idea it was a thing

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nina posted:

Holy crap I only now saw that there's a cutscene at Kainé's hut in the third act if you unlock it beforehand. I had zero idea it was a thing

I now have another reason to replay the game, apart from having completely failed to figure out how to drift boars

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Nina posted:

Eh? What happens there?

vv Oh. That's the end of that questline. Pretty sure you're directed there. It's a good scene that is super weird to only be a missable sidequest.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 30, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

That's pretty much my reaction to activating it.

The Dark Id posted:

Eh? What happens there?

Route C If you do the dog tag quest and 9S learns about flowers for the fallen you can go to Kaine's house and he plants her sword there and says he'll avenge her, then join her soon enough.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nina posted:

Is that the one where 9S puts her blindfold and a sword into the ground for her tombstone?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Eh? What happens there?

Probably referring to after you do the sidequest with the two tanks in the desert. If you go to Kainé's hut after finishing that quest, there's a nice little scene there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that's interesting. I had to go there to finish the quest but I didn't think about what would have happened if it wasn't unlocked.