Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Happily serving a plate of food where 75% of the volume is literally inedible still drives me nuts when I order something new and that's what I get.

Jeoh posted:

But you see the food is tastier because of the challenge!

yeah see this is why decorative cakes covered with hood ornaments and flaming sparkling objects is so delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

I agree. It has no place at all in any dish I have ever had it in. It doesn't even bring anything interesting to the palate. They need to stop the macho bullshit where people pretend this poo poo is spicy. It's not spicy at all, it's just dumb and they have to make up for the flavor-loss by adding way more salt than necessary. At least use a mint leaf because it has flavor.

Here's a shortened version my way too long post about spicy again.

Magna Kaser posted:

The issue is the word "spicy" in English doesn't work well as a translation for Chinese cooking which actually has like 4+ kinds of spicy and unique words for all of them. Ma (the sichuan peppercorn spicy), Gan (what we in the west normally think of as spicy), Suan (vinegar-heavy spicy for babies in Shanghai and Guangdong), etc... All these words get combined with the word "la" which is generally translated by itself as "spicy".

A Sichuanese person isn't lying when they say Sichuan food is the most spicy if they actually mean "Ma La" cuz that's definitely true as they pile on the peppercorn here, and Hunan food is incredibly spicy in the sense we generally have in English and most Sichuanese people will admit Hunan/Etc is more spicy in that sense.

Also sichuan peppercorn owns and the flavor it adds is good.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Lol I checked this, we dont actually have service from Europe to dandong, and even the connection from Shanghai is transhipped via dalian

China is making you toxic

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
PORT OF DANDONG

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we should all strive to be more like thai dogs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PORT OF DANDONG: IT'S DAEJEON

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Patrocclesiastes posted:

China is making you toxic
GET OUT OF HERE, P.L.U.N.G.E.R.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ROB SCHNEIDER IS

HAIER

(Rated PG-13)

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ROB SCHNEIDER IS

HAIER

(Rated PG-13)

Would watch.

Also the whole bone thing is "it makes the food taste better!!"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

A new thread title, I trust to insert.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

canoshiz posted:

One of the dishes I had at that Szechuan restaurant was the one with a few pieces of fried chicken buried under five pounds of dried red chili peppers. The chicken was good...

1. I've had about 5 things that were that, they're good.
2. What is this Wade-Giles bullshit?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
People came to the Americas about ten thousand years ago, maybe more. What is this arrogance?

Also, I've had ma la poo poo before. It makes my tongue numb. Where is the "flavor" at?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

People came to the Americas about ten thousand years ago, maybe more. What is this arrogance?

I have seen quotes of 15k. That article is already 14 years old.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

12,000 is the discredited Clovis first hypothesis. It's 15,000 at the absolute minimum and I usually read 20-30,000 in scholarship nowadays.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Plus, I think there's been evidence that many peoples actually traveled farther south on boats rather than travelling across the land bridge. I know people who belong to Native nations sometimes get pretty prickly about the specifics, but I don't quite understand. I know there's someone here who used to teach at a Native's school before. Maybe they can shed some light?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The current hypothesis is boats down the west coast. There used to be an idea about the ice-free corridor through the North American glaciers, but evidence now is that never happened but people managed to get south of the glaciers anyway, so the most reasonable explanation is they went down the coast on boats. Unfortunately there's no archaeological evidence because the coastline of the time is now underwater, but something may turn up eventually. The land bridge is definitely how they got to the Americas though, the DNA evidence backs up that they came from northeast Asia.

The earliest confirmed human settlement in the Americas is Monte Verde in southern Chile, which the most recent date for is around 18,000 years old.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Let's mention Tlingit body armor made of Qing coins.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Let's mention Tlingit body armor made of Qing coins.

It's fairly recent, innit? Say, only from a few hundred years ago.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1e1hzBN5-w

as always with youtube, don't read the comments.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 30, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the reverse of this is that in china, all of the police lights are on at all times, and my first like 3 months in china it freaked me out because i'd see flashing lights and wonder "omg did i do something wrong"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Great Autismo! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1e1hzBN5-w

as always with youtube, don't read the comments.

They should ticket them for the offence, then again for driving without due care and attention if they say they didn't notice the police car, or failure to stop if they say they saw it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
so it looks like that thing i posted last night about the nhl in chinar was just them announcing that a preseaon exhibition game between two teams i dont give a poo poo about will be held in beijing.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

so it looks like that thing i posted last night about the nhl in chinar was just them announcing that a preseaon exhibition game between two teams i dont give a poo poo about will be held in beijing.

what else would it have been? the nba has been doing that for a while

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ceciltron posted:

It's fairly recent, innit? Say, only from a few hundred years ago.

Older than the PRC. Respect their tradition of coin-armored asskicking.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i thought it might be something like the chinese buying into the nhl or something. anyways i looks forward to hearing about how all of a team's equipment mysteriously disappears.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lol this tweet is good advice for haier
https://twitter.com/OliveWong14/status/714322202703704065

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I don't know why you're stressing, they are already part of the best ice hockey league the KHL and failing at it.

Go Beijing Kunlun! Except you've got 90% of your games down in Shanghai, all your team is imported whites playing to a crowd of hundreds.

Alrighty then.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sounds like your mission is complete.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Lmbo

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I am become diarrhea

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Plus, I think there's been evidence that many peoples actually traveled farther south on boats rather than travelling across the land bridge. I know people who belong to Native nations sometimes get pretty prickly about the specifics, but I don't quite understand. I know there's someone here who used to teach at a Native's school before. Maybe they can shed some light?

Basically, "we have always been here, since the beginning of time" is to Native Americans as "5000 years uninterrupted history" is to Chinese. It's not really true, but god help you if you challenge it.

DNA testing of ancient remains is very unpopular for the same reason, since the result often shows very little relation to the native people who occupied those lands in recent eras.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pham Nuwen posted:

Basically, "we have always been here, since the beginning of time" is to Native Americans as "5000 years uninterrupted history" is to Chinese. It's not really true, but god help you if you challenge it.

DNA testing of ancient remains is very unpopular for the same reason, since the result often shows very little relation to the native people who occupied those lands in recent eras.

I hear this is super super true in australia where their creation myths make it very specific they were the first so all humans must have come from australia, even evolution is a hot button issue. Teaching otherwise is cultural genocide. I know in Canada there were a few high profile cases of super ancient remains being found and local first nation groups demanding to get full ownership of the bodies asap and doing everything they can to stop any testing of any sort. The scientists said that these bodies didn't fall under various cultural protections because the first nation group in question probably didn't even exist 20,000 years ago but if the testing shows they are related, sure they can have the remains. I think it ended up becoming too political so all the possible study was thrown away.

But in another case where the controversial testing WAS allowed, or they just did it anyways, they actually found a lady in the local community that was a clear ancestor and partial matches with other people in the area showing that they were in fact very ancient ancestors to the remains they found.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't live in China, but I work in Diamond Bar, CA which, along with several neighboring cities, is a region known for its large Asian immigrant population (mostly mainland Chinese, but lots of people from the other major Asian nations). For the most part it's great because I'm surrounded by a diverse assortment of Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese/Korean/Thai restaurants that are legit authentic but still have to abide US health codes.

There are definitely some Chinar annoyances, though. Going back to gym chat, old Chinese people really are a problem at the local 24 Hour Fitness. They love to grab a machine, set the weight to the minimum amount possible, and then just work something vaguely similar to the intended motion the entire time. When I leave for the day, I will see multiple old people on the exact same machines they were on when I walked in.

This one is the hottest poo poo among old Chinese dudes:

You're supposed to sit on your knees and pull your lower body forward and upward, then hold it briefly for maximum effect. It's a pretty decent ab workout when done properly. Unfortunately, the ones at my gym have a rather generous back-swing portion of track (i.e. track that extends backwards past the point of rest). This of course indicates to the Chinese grandpas that they are meant to get on this thing and simply use momentum to swing to and fro, requiring essentially no exertion whatsoever (meaning they can do it for an unlimited amount of time).

Their other favorite activity is taking a shower without bringing a towel, then slowly traipsing about the locker room changing area and sitting their wet naked asses on the seats in an effort to spread as much old man disease water across the floor/benches as possible. At any given moment there is a good chance you will look in a random direction only to be greeted with a shriveled, nigh hairless butthole, bent over right at face level just for your enjoyment. I mean sure, it's the men's locker room and we're all adults, no need to be shy. But I swear these guys are exhibitionists. They flaunt that poo poo. They want you to look. They were forced to stare into the empty abyss of the Great Leap Forward, and while they can't bring whitey back in time to face the same horrors, what they can do is force him stare into an entirely different abyss.

Anyway, on Sichuan spice (everyone just calls it "ma la" here): IMO it doesn't taste very good on its own, but it definitely does something to your tastebuds that makes certain other things taste a lot better. It makes water taste funky/bad, but it truly does something magical with Asian style beer (read: cheap lager). All of a sudden your mostly-tasteless glass of Heineken-wannabe fluid gains a strange sort of refreshing, crisp sweetness that perfectly complements your ridiculously salty meal. One of multiple reasons i refuse to get Chinese food at any place that doesn't serve alcohol.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

nickmeister posted:

This happened to me. I was going through "migration patterns of early humans" and a kid (who was a dick already) decided to take offence, and went home and told his parents that I was outright telling the class that their way of life was a lie. The principal and I had to do some really careful tiptoeing since it's in the curriculum, and it's obviously true, but it's also a First Nations school who's stance is that First Nations oral history is 100% fact.

They get salty (specifically the Ojibway in Ontario) about this kind of stuff because they have placed all of their eggs in one basket so to speak, and have propped up their entire reason for existing and continuing to exist on their cultural teachings* which have been lost over time and have been re-written into the weird mash-up of various southern-US tribal beliefs with a heavy helping of Jesuit and Catholic teachings rolled into something that I'm sure bears almost no resemblance to their pre-contact beliefs. Like China's current "5000 year history" and their "we own all of Asian, see this map!", they lose a ton of legitimacy (in their minds) whenever a little part of if is disproved via old documents or science. That's why they really, really don't like DNA testing of remains, because in all likelihood they were not the first group of people to settle North America, as a lot results show that they died out, and the current First Nations people are possible the second or third wave of people to come to North America. Even though nothing changes in the mind of the Canadian government, or the treaties, or the rights and benefits they are due, it's still something that really shakes their beliefs.

*at the school board I was teaching at, they didn't promote education to the kids to do better in life and improve their community. What was promoted was "have a lot of babies, make sure they speak the language, and know the culture, as any other skills are unnecessary". So we had a first class high school, with tons of good teachers and great facilities, but kids were not going on to College/University/Trade Schools because the elders in the community (not necessarily old or wise, just people who never bothered to do anything and had time to kill and wanted to feel important [think Mao's red guard] told them that schooling was a waste of time, and that their best use of their youth was to make babies and pressure the government to give them money).

Interestingly enough, the kids and adults in this community were super, super racist against Asians for some reason (most of them never having met one in real life). I don't know if this was partly because they knew they were in a round-about way related to them, or it was just some weird quirk. Ironically, TCM and traditional native medicine shares a lot of the same characteristics, but the native medicine tends to lean a little more on the spiritual side of things (ex. Ghosts cure cancer).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That's super depressing why do any of you teach at these lovely places?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol if you think there's a teaching job that isn't horrible in 2017. Like imagine if your peer group was all people with Genesplicer's way of thinking about things but much, much worse.

Last time teaching was good was in like in the 1970s in a university because you were basically expected to be constantly having sex with your students, same for Japan ESL in the 1990s

raton fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 31, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Some people honestly want to make a difference and haven't yet been totally destroyed by the system
Getting teaching jobs in canada can be super hard and you often have to work really lovely remote areas before you can work somewhere nicer. Nice cities school's are often dominated by very old teachers who worked their lives to get there (or got in when it was way easier) and are extremely protective of their jobs and the various employment rules that make everything entirely seniority based. When they 'retire' they often then keep working as substitute teachers so that young teachers can't even do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's pretty much why people work there, they are usually hiring because they're lovely places where their own community members rarely get the qualifications to teach at them themselves. I was considering creating an AMA thread about my six years in First Nations education, but it would be equal parts depressing/unbelievable, and now that I'm at an awesome school, I don't need to think about it that often any more.

• Locked thread